• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Link Question and Answer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
*Facepalm*
*Facepummel*

I prefer ground release anyway. People only have about three viable options: Shield, attack, move.

Shield:
Grab beats this, obviously. If you start charging something (Smashes or Up+B), they'll drop their shield out of habit pretty soon. You could always just run and set up camp again.

Attack:
Shield it. Stepdodge it. If it's slow enough, beat them to it.

Move:
Zair/Grab them. Zair is safer, but if you know they're not jumping, you'll be okay with a grab or a dash grab.

I would use the release later in the game, though. D-Throw combos at early percents and it's easier to connect after B-Throws in early-stocks. Once you have an idea of what your opponent likes to do in certain situations, you can be much more effective with this.

Oh yeah:
Bomb Throw Up>Grab>Pummel>U-Throw is legit.

Smash Apprentice
I never knew that. I'll do some testing.
grabs and characters can be categorized into two categories: "short" and "tall."
marth's grab is "tall." (note the height at which he holds his opponents)
link's grab is "short." (note the height at which he holds his opponents)

when a "short" character (e.g. wario) is grabbed by a character with a "tall" grab (e.g. marth), marth is guaranteed an air release if wario is released when marth is not pummeling (if marth is pummeling then wario is ground released)
when a "short" character (e.g. wario) is grabbed by a character with a "short" grab (e.g. link), link is guaranteed an air release if two conditions are met: link is not pummeling and wario is inputting "up" or "jump" upon release, otherwise ground release

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
grabs and characters can be categorized into two categories: "short" and "tall."
marth's grab is "tall." (note the height at which he holds his opponents)
link's grab is "short." (note the height at which he holds his opponents)

when a "short" character (e.g. wario) is grabbed by a character with a "tall" grab (e.g. marth), marth is guaranteed an air release if wario is released when marth is not pummeling (if marth is pummeling then wario is ground released)
when a "short" character (e.g. wario) is grabbed by a character with a "short" grab (e.g. link), link is guaranteed an air release if two conditions are met: link is not pummeling and wario is inputting "up" or "jump" upon release, otherwise ground release
Oh! Thanks!

Does anyone know the frame difference between QDA and a regular Dash Attack?

GreyClover

Smash Apprentice
Oh! Thanks!

Does anyone know the frame difference between QDA and a regular Dash Attack?
If their both performed at the exact same time I think they're the same speed. QDA is called faster than the regular dash attack because it's definitely slower having to dash first and then input the attack button. I don't usually use the QDA and if anyone wants to correct my guess I'd be glad you did.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Serious question, what should Link do in teams?

In teams I usually spam alot and everyone tends to go for my partner. Sometimes my spamming hits my friend :dk: player. Those two are probably the biggest problems that results with my style of play.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*

In teams I usually spam alot and everyone tends to go for my partner. Sometimes my spamming hits my friend :dk: player. Those two are probably the biggest problems that results with my style of play.
Link is pretty bad in teams.

His spamming is limited, as you mentioned, so you have to rely on things like grabs and zairs to aid your opponent, as they will be doing most of the damage. Juggling is also a viable option in teams. Link won't be doing much damage, though, so just help DK out by finishing with your quick defense and jab-cancelled smashes.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
I'm making a set for Make Your Move, but I need you guys help in making it. I just need answers to these questions:

1. Why is Link low tier?
  2. What makes Link's recovery bad?
  3. What is Link's playstyle?
  4. How are Link and Toon Link's DAirs, Bombs, Boomerangs, and Arrows different?
  5. How could Link be improved?

This would be much appreciated.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
  1. Why is Link low tier?
  2. What makes Link's recovery bad?
  3. What is Link's playstyle?
  4. How are Link and Toon Link's DAirs, Bombs, Boomerangs, and Arrows different?
  5. How could Link be improved?
Would you believe #1 has been asked like 3 times already? :laugh: I can't answer it all, especially the TL questions, but I'll try.

-He's slow. While he has good priority, a lot of his moves are really laggy.
-He's heavy. He can get juggled and CG'd a lot easier. Both those lead to being gimped, which is bad since his recovery is...bad.

-Not very good vertical recovery. By not good I mean horrible. His heaviness makes this aspect worse. His horizontal recovery is decent because his weight/ability to momentum cancel, but a good opponent will know to use moves that screw you over.

- A lot of camping with projectiles. Really, all you have to do is watch any good Link match.

-Dair; A lot slower and does more damage I think.
-No idea on bombs.
-Boomerang; Can draw opponent towards Link.
-No idea on arrows. Seems to me like longer startup time/more powerful for Link.

-A better recovery.
-More of an aggresive game IMO. This'll probably differ between people.
-A bit lighter.
-Pretty much the opposite of anything bad that he has.

That should start you off a bit...need more people to contribute though, I don't know everything about him.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
[/LIST]
Would you believe #1 has been asked like 3 times already? :laugh: I can't answer it all, especially the TL questions, but I'll try.

-He's slow. While he has good priority, a lot of his moves are really laggy.
-He's heavy. He can get juggled and CG'd a lot easier. Both those lead to being gimped, which is bad since his recovery is...bad.

-Not very good vertical recovery. By not good I mean horrible. His heaviness makes this aspect worse. His horizontal recovery is decent because his weight/ability to momentum cancel, but a good opponent will know to use moves that screw you over.

- A lot of camping with projectiles. Really, all you have to do is watch any good Link match.

-Dair; A lot slower and does more damage I think.
-No idea on bombs.
-Boomerang; Can draw opponent towards Link.
-No idea on arrows. Seems to me like longer startup time/more powerful for Link.

-A better recovery.
-More of an aggresive game IMO. This'll probably differ between people.
-A bit lighter.
-Pretty much the opposite of anything bad that he has.

That should start you off a bit...need more people to contribute though, I don't know everything about him.
Thanks for replying and for the help!

Hey about Link? Is Link SSBB Twilight princess Link or Ocarina of Time Link?

I know it's a stupid question I just wanna know

ndayday

BRoomer
He's Twilight Princess Link in Brawl.

McLevelin

Smash Rookie
Ok, so.

I have a local tournament coming up and just picked up Link. He turned out to be a lot of fun, and is now one of my mains. However, i still have not figured out the spacing for his moves, and am often combo-ed into oblivion by my bro. His play style is very "Shenaniganzy" and i am often on the defensive. However, i can get some decent combos started and get him to high percents.

My Question, is how can i get around his Shenanigans and space correctly to get a kill on him?

Thanks,

McLevelin

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Well, the advice really is character-dependent. The most general advice I can give is to just turn tail and run if you think you're getting overwhelmed by him. Take a breather, reorient yourself, and then get right back into the battle.

McLevelin

Smash Rookie
yep. C. Falcon's shenaningans are over 9000, so I really am put on the defensive. But every once in a while I can open up on him. I just gotta pace myself and not die in idiodic ways. He soulcrushes me too, so I gotta stay calm
Thanks for the reply! Hopefully i can incorperate your advice.

Rizen

Smash Legend

In teams I usually spam alot and everyone tends to go for my partner. Sometimes my spamming hits my friend :dk:player. Those two are probably the biggest problems that results with my style of play.
Link's lag is easily shielded/powershielded and countered in 1 vs. 1s but in team matches Link can make good use of his very long lasting, powerful moves. Particularly aerials like Dair and Fair. Try to have DK force opponent(s) into Link's big long reach moves and vice-versa. Use range spamming/dinky moves less. Team battles give Link's good aspects a chance to work that 1 vs 1s don't. Stay away from your partner.

Hey about Link? Is Link SSBB Twilight princess Link or Ocarina of Time Link?

I know it's a stupid question I just wanna know
He's Twilight Princess Link but with a left handed sword like Ocarina of time.

Ok, so.

I have a local tournament coming up and just picked up Link. He turned out to be a lot of fun, and is now one of my mains. However, i still have not figured out the spacing for his moves, and am often combo-ed into oblivion by my bro. His play style is very "Shenaniganzy" and i am often on the defensive. However, i can get some decent combos started and get him to high percents.

My Question, is how can i get around his Shenanigans and space correctly to get a kill on him?

Thanks,

McLevelin
Link is bad at 1 vs 1s and most tournament stages make that even worse by not giving Link enough room. I wrote a guide with spacing in it some time ago, most of the potential I described can be powershielded so don't get too excited about Link making top tier. The spacing and inundating parts could improve many Link players games but he's not good for tournaments.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=247074

Rambo Hayabusa

Smash Apprentice
Link's naturally left handed, even in Twilight Princess. It was just the Wii version that had him holding the sword in his right hand because of most people being right handed and the wii's nunchuck scheme

ndayday

BRoomer
They should be angled cuz an angled rang has less lag then one that's not. It's also better since IMO an angled rang has better range. That may just be me though, the more I think of it, the more they seem to be about the same. :x

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
NDD, the only differences between the angles are where the boomerang will go, and knockback direction (for instance, instead of going straight up, the opponent can be sent at an angle). This is mostly dependent on where the boomerang hits the opponent, however.
Otherwise, no differences.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I posted this on the AiB Q and A but the Q was from here!
I did some testing: If Link's on the ground he must throw the boomerang down and be right next to the opponent, from the air Link can throw it strait or down from next to the opponent. If it hits and these conditions are met the opponent will fly up a short distance with long stun and be a prime target for Dair. No other factors apply (except armor frames and invincibility of course). Keep in mind Link has to be very close.
This could be good if the opponent's jumping up to Link's level.

M4ge

Smash Journeyman
i agree. i think izaw is as good as deva mayb better. ive seen all of both of ther vids...just my opinion
Izaw overhypes his opponents and doesn't show the matches where he gets destroyed.

Deva on the other hand fights against well known players and places much better in tournaments.

Just throwing that out there.

ndayday

BRoomer
I posted this on the AiB Q and A but the Q was from here!
I did some testing: If Link's on the ground he must throw the boomerang down and be right next to the opponent, from the air Link can throw it strait or down from next to the opponent. If it hits and these conditions are met the opponent will fly up a short distance with long stun and be a prime target for Dair. No other factors apply (except armor frames and invincibility of course). Keep in mind Link has to be very close.
This could be good if the opponent's jumping up to Link's level.
:love:

Why is M4ge so b4d4ss?
I'm more concerned as to why you censored badass.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
For Link`s Hylian shield, does he have to be motionless for it block something?

Also is there anything interesting about his Hylian shield? Somewhere I read that if Link crouches with Hylian shield on a reflected gale, it dosn't push him back.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Yes Scabe, Link has to be motionless in either a standing or crouching position for it to block projectiles. However, the shield will occasionally move while standing, and that combined with the fact that you should never be caught standing still in the first place makes it a bad choice to use.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
on that note, I always thought it was stupid Link could walk with his shield infront of him but it doesn't work. Can't even imagine how much it would help him approach long range characters like falco

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
on that note, I always thought it was stupid Link could walk with his shield infront of him but it doesn't work. Can't even imagine how much it would help him approach long range characters like falco
Seriously, you have a point. What is the deal with that? Anywho, here's my question: How do you correctly spam arrows? I have trouble spamming arrows. I love the versatility of bombs and the rang, I just forget about arrows. :p

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Seriously, you have a point. What is the deal with that? Anywho, here's my question: How do you correctly spam arrows? I have trouble spamming arrows. I love the versatility of bombs and the rang, I just forget about arrows. :p
I usually keep a bomb in hand while I'm arrow spamming.
Use Quick Draw arrows a lot and remember that you can SH>Bomb Throw>QDA and FH>Bomb Pull>QDA.
Sometimes, you may want to do the rang setup for jab-lock and follow up with an arrow before running in for the lock.
Add levels to your arrow spam, with levels, come distances. With distances, comes a more successful spam game.
Mix in bombs and rangs to avoid getting predictable.
Arrow spamming is most successful, in my opinion, when your opponent is offstage.

Hope that's helpful.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Its FH>bombpull>AC, in Link terms ;)

I tend to use arrows when I'm high in the air and the opponent is falling towards the stage at a short distance. I shoot a couple arrows, just to throw off the opponent. A moment without spam is a moment wasted in my opinion, and bombs would be too slow for this moment.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I use arrows to try and gimp the opponent off stage with triple arrows. I also like to do arrow mind games where I charge the arrow and wait till the opponent drops their shield or hit them when they're just about to jump.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
I use arrows to try and gimp the opponent off stage with triple arrows. I also like to do arrow mind games where I charge the arrow and wait till the opponent drops their shield or hit them when they're just about to jump.
It's also fun when they are hanging on the ledge and you're a distance away. If they roll, get up attack or regular stand up, you hit them with a fully charged arrow. If they shield in time, they end up when they started.

McLevelin

Smash Rookie
Ok. So I am now ripping my bro to shreds a LOT more often then i used to (Thanks Anonano!) thanks to learning new mindgames he doesn't expect. The one thing he does expect is how i get up from the edge.

After seeing Believe the Legend, i noticed that many of the Links would recover using a Fair off the edge. I can do this fairly often, but only the very first slash, and the lag created puts me in a horrible position to get punished.

So, how can i recover from the edge without getting owned? (i. e. How to ledgehop Fair)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom