• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Link Question and Answer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Basically, the hitbox on Link's body and at the edge of his sword will spike. The problem is the hitbox on Link's body is REALLY hard to hit with, and the last hitobx is tiny, and if you touch the opponent with that hitbox AND one of the hitbox in the middle of the sword, it will hit them up instead.

tl;dr version - it only spikes if it hits with Link's body or the VERY tip of the sword.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Basically, the hitbox on Link's body and at the edge of his sword will spike. The problem is the hitbox on Link's body is REALLY hard to hit with, and the last hitobx is tiny, and if you touch the opponent with that hitbox AND one of the hitbox in the middle of the sword, it will hit them up instead.

tl;dr version - it only spikes if it hits with Link's body or the VERY tip of the sword.
That's not accurate.
Dtilt/Dsmash approximate display:

Hurtboxes are red, Hitboxes blue and spiking hitboxes yellow. 1 crouching, 2 Dtilt, 3 Dsmash (first cut), 4 Dsmash (second cut). Red Link is just outside Green Link’s reach.

I made that a while ago, the Dtilt bubbles are official but the Dsmash and hurtboxes are approximate.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
That's not accurate.
NOOOOO! I HAVE FAILED!

Anyway, thanks for correcting me MES. That'd be bad if I ended up messing someone up with false info.

I knew his body spiked but was hard to hit with. I got the two hitboxes on the sword mixed up :/
It is true that the other two hitboxes have more priority than the spike hitbox though, right? So if you hit where they both overlap they won't be spiked?

Rizen

Smash Legend
It is true that the other two hitboxes have more priority than the spike hitbox though, right? So if you hit where they both overlap they won't be spiked?
Yep. And edge sweet-spotting takes away 98% of spike KO chances. It's possible to practice and intentionally meteor someone but the difficultly and rare opportunities makes it so most people are better off not bothering. I've heard it can be good vs DDD.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Izaw manages to link Z-Air with D-Tilt spikes sometimes. Though, I'd think that there are better, safer options out there than a spike attempt.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
This Ike I play with has the most annoying playstyle: he keeps rolling and jabbing. The past few matches we've played (I'm pretty sure he has memorized MY playstyle), he just rolls behind me and jabs. Nothing else. No tilts, no airs, no smashes, not even specials.

I tried mixing it up, but he always just rolls away. What do I do to teach him a lesson? Stop playing with him?

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I sometimes have trouble dealing with people rolling behind me.

• If he always rolls behind you, walk up to him, turn around watch him roll and punish with a free hit. I've found that turning around and doing Dsmash to be pretty good since if they don't roll they still have to deal with the back end of the hit.
  • You can also use Dsmash and hope that the back end of it hits when they roll behind you.
  • You can do like a roll war, if he rolls behind you, you roll behind him and chances are this will repeat and lols will ensue.
  • If your shielding, you can wait till he finishes his jab combo and then you do an out of shield back air and either land behind him, or do another jump and pull out a bomb.
  • Keep spacing so that the distance he rolls won't end up behind you.
  • Rolling away's harder to punish, you don't really try to punish that, but if you see it coming, run at him and use dash attack.

I hope this helps! :link:

P.S don't stop playing with him if he keeps rolling, it may be annoying but it'll teach you how a valuable lesson on how to punish these rolling shenanigans.

Rizen

Smash Legend
This Ike I play with has the most annoying playstyle: he keeps rolling and jabbing. The past few matches we've played (I'm pretty sure he has memorized MY playstyle), he just rolls behind me and jabs. Nothing else. No tilts, no airs, no smashes, not even specials.

I tried mixing it up, but he always just rolls away. What do I do to teach him a lesson? Stop playing with him?
Moving camp short hop spam like crazy and force Ike to approach you. Don't let him get closer than the tip of Zair. To fight Ike close you have to keep him off balance and look for patterns and openings. If Ike doesn't approach Link gets free spam hits.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
I'll try the D-smash, Scabe, and hope he starts rolling away, rather than behind me, once he picks up on it. Then, it's short hopped camping.

One more issue: even if I keep on spamming projectiles, once the smash ball comes in, I'll have to close the distance. Avoiding Link's Final Smash isn't that hard (which he's mastered by now), and spotdodging Ike's FS is hard because it's fast. Even if I keep spamming, he'll close the distance enough to use it.

Rizen

Smash Legend
One more issue: even if I keep on spamming projectiles, once the smash ball comes in, I'll have to close the distance. Avoiding Link's Final Smash isn't that hard (which he's mastered by now), and spotdodging Ike's FS is hard because it's fast. Even if I keep spamming, he'll close the distance enough to use it.

Zair is great to start combos, it should combo to final smash. Mix up air dodges, Zair and boomerang spam until you have a clear shot. Jab cancel to FS too. Final Smash starts immediately in front of Link and can be used like a counter. It hits slightly above and below Link up close and follows the light line from a distance. No mater what Ike must approach so save your FS for when you can land it and rack up spam damage. Link can also jump off stage backwards and FS to return, this works better in free-for-alls since you must hit or risk a bad recovery.

If Ike gets the smash ball: spam when it's safe then try to bait it with short hop air dodge>Zair/airdodge>fast fall mindgames. You can also instant ledge snap by short hopping backwards off stage and tapping 'Z' twice very fast. Link will skip the tether animation and go strait to an edge grab which gives short invulnerability. VS Ike you might be able to plank and ready/throw bombs up a few times. You can ledge stall air dodges like Fairs.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
I'll try the D-smash, Scabe, and hope he starts rolling away, rather than behind me, once he picks up on it. Then, it's short hopped camping.

I wouldn't worry too much about Ike with the smash ball. Either bait it out of him with empty short hopping approaches into quick retreats, keep him out of range with zair (which can be done while holding bombs if you use the Air-Dodge>A inputs), or trick him with things like DACUS and Zair-Grab until he loses it. If you do get hit, you'll be fine until past.... %70? I don't recall, I haven't played with Smashballs in months. But just DI and it won't kill you too early.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Does the last hit of Link's jab combo semi-spike? Or does the opponent simply DI downwards to make it look like a semi-spike?

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
I don't main link or anything, but can quite easily bombslide (this is the dacit yes?) with tap jump on.
You're right. I had watched a video on it a while ago that said to keep tap jump off. I did some more research after I read this post and evidently it doesn't have to be off :chuckle:

Thanks for catching me on that.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Your right. I had watched a video on it a while ago that said to keep tap jump off. I did some more research after I read this post and evidently it doesn't have to be off :chuckle:

Thanks for catching me on that.
Yeah the vid from Sasook said its better to turn it off.
Thats because newbs came in all like:
I THROWZ IT DOWN EVERYTIME WHAT DO I DO WRONG HELP ME!!

And sook was kinda sick of that I geuss =/
But no I do it with tap jump on as well, its actually not that hard.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Hey, guys, I keep hearing about moving your shield up and moving it down, but I've never done it. How the hell do I move my shield??

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I think you can do it by carefully tilting your directional stick. At least thats how i do it. Though its rather hard to do without actually rolling or spot dodging on accident.

Though if its important try test the C stick as well.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Shield and slightly tilt it in whatever direction you want. It's good to prevent shield poking. e.g: When Metaknight Tornado's you want to angle your shield up and you'll block all the hits. So if you ever find that your shielding but still get hit, then it's time to try angling your shield.

Using C stick in shield makes you roll and jump etc

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I suppose with Rainbow Cruise your pretty much running away the whole time when it gets up to the bit where you have to jump alot. Room for where Link can run away = good.

Some parts the ceiling can be quite low as well which means early kills from Dsmash and Dair.

You don't really get gimped until the bit where you have to jump alot. If you can survive that bit the rest of the stage is quite easy to work around with. T

There's a small wall on the boat and if you jab someone into the wall and they don't tech the fall you get a jablock which could last for a while.

I don't really know too much about Rainbow Cruise for Link though, it's regularly banned at the tournaments I go to and I don't play on it that much. I gotta start playing it more along with all the other stages.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Quote:
Originally Posted by MenoUnderwater View Post
Link
Best: Rainbow Cruise, Norfair
Worst: Frigate Orpheon

Why link have adventajes in raibow cruise????
Meno mains peach, where'd he play a Link main? I've never met another Link main in person...

Rainbow Cruse is good if the opponent isn't awesome in the air with multiple jumps. I wouldn't take Pit, MK, etc, there.
The platforms give room to run and spam at angles. Bombs can be thrown any direction, boomerang angled, and arrows fall with gravity, can be landing canceled and there's good charged arrow sniping spots. From platforms and uncommon angles Link's spam is superb; he beats Falco. The stage scrolling means less air camping and planking and better SH/Jump moving camps. Air space is reachable by the series of small platforms. This and what scabe said.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
I can't, for the life of me, find any decent use for Link's D-tilt. Ike's D-tilt is a pretty good meteor smash, ZSS' D-tilt tosses opponents up into the air as aerial setups, Ganondorf's D-tilt is a pretty good follow up attack, Marth and MK's D-tilts are good shield pokes, Ness' D-tilt is a decent damage racker when not DI'd out of, etc...

Link's U-tilt is a good juggler, F-tilt is a good KO move, but in my matches I have to force myself to use D-tilt for the sake of refreshing my other moves which usually messes up my game. Advice, please.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
I can't, for the life of me, find any decent use for Link's D-tilt. Ike's D-tilt is a pretty good meteor smash, ZSS' D-tilt tosses opponents up into the air as aerial setups, Ganondorf's D-tilt is a pretty good follow up attack, Marth and MK's D-tilts are good shield pokes, Ness' D-tilt is a decent damage racker when not DI'd out of, etc...

Link's U-tilt is a good juggler, F-tilt is a good KO move, but in my matches I have to force myself to use D-tilt for the sake of refreshing my other moves which usually messes up my game. Advice, please.
D-Tilt kills at lowers percents than D-Smash sometimes...

The spike is basically useless, though. It's nice to set up for a juggle trap every once in a while. Mixing things up is a necessity, and D-Tilt can help there. I don't know. I'll wait for Scabe to get here with some real knowledge.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Personally, I very rarely use dtilt. Often there are better options I find. You do occasionally see someone pull off some crazy zair>dash attack > spike with it, but overall I don't feel like it's that great of a move. I only very rarely use it edgeguarding someone if I want to try to swipe them before they grab the edge, but even that's not that great.

At lower damage, dtilt actually has higher knockback than dsmash, but even still, what you suffer in how slow the move is just isn't worth it most of the time in my opinion.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I sometimes use Dtilt as a jab cancel as a finisher if i don't think they are going to be able to defend against it.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Dtilt has good shield knockback.

I sometimes do a short hop and then fast fall to Dtilt.

What this does is:

They try to shield grab this but the shield knockback pushes them too far and you get to hit them in their grab lag with a free Fsmash.

Sometimes they shield realize that you didn't do any aerial so they let go of their shield, Dtilt is so slow that they think your not doing anything so they let go of your shield only to be hit with the Dtilt.

So use it to bait shield grabbers.

ATTENTION:

Did you guys know this? I only learnt today that you can pick up items with Z. :embarrass

I was playing against :snake: and instead of using an aerial to pick it up, I could use Z to catch the grenades in the air. Normally if you catch it with an aerial you'll actually do an aerial but by using Z Link will just pick it up in the air.

Man I'm slow! :embarrass

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Yeah lol, I was playing with Luke and he told me that's how they do it in Melee. I've actually never seen people do it so that's why I never knew about it.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I think Dtilt spike works well vs DDD, who takes forever to KO. Melee's was infinitely better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom