• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Link Question and Answer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Here's my problem:

Regardless of which character I'm against, if my 'rang connects and they trip, I swoop in for a dash attack and follow it up with u-tilt>u-smash juggle. I'm so predictable with it my CPU just does his get-up attack animation to hit me. Or shields and punishes.

I don't know how to 'mix it up'. What? Add bombs? Just don't go for the dash attack? But I tripped my opponent! I forced him to ask for punishment! Help, please!

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
If you hit with the boomarang, they usually get knocked down because of the set knockback (doesn't change with damage). If you jab them while they're still bouncing on the ground, they do the bouncing animation over again. AKA, this is a jablock. If they trip, you now have them in a techchase opportunity. Now it's just outsmarting them (kinda hard when they're a brainless computer). You can run up and shield if you think they'll do the standing attack then punish. If you think they'll roll back, just run past them and followup however you want. If you think they'll roll forward, run forward and pivot grab or whatever. Just mix it up, don't get predictable, and try to predict your opponent. Hope this helps. I bet Scabe, Ryu, or Rizen all probably have better advice than me, haha.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Here's my problem:

Regardless of which character I'm against, if my 'rang connects and they trip, I swoop in for a dash attack and follow it up with u-tilt>u-smash juggle. I'm so predictable with it my CPU just does his get-up attack animation to hit me. Or shields and punishes.
Close up, it's a matter of predicting how they'll get up. Let them make the first move and punish accordingly. You might be able to shoot an arrow and force a jab lock; I'm terrible at jab locks- I usually jab>crouch>jab>Dsmash.
If you have to rush in you probably can charge an arrow and shoot the get-up safely. Keep in mind shield dashing>Dsmash has a high chance of connecting if they roll or attack to stand. Grabs are a bad idea, too risky.

That's actually pretty good advice for close range. What about mid-range? Tipping the boomerang's range?
Bombs, if you have one ready or quickdraw a charged arrow. Quickdrawing cancels some start lag and makes charging arrows faster too. If you rush from too far they'll be able to avoid it and Link looses his spacing.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
First of all, I barely use Link so please excuse me if this is something previously known. I did a bair, it finished a little bit before I landed. Then I did an F tilt ad it slid about 1/2 as far as his DACUS. Does Link's Bair have IASA frame? Can an aerial even have IASA frames? Would it matter since it finished before I touched the ground? I'm no frame expert obviously but iirc all characters suffer 3 frames of landing lag, is it possible to buffer a pivot walk out of it and get a farther slide? Will a pivot landing > F tilt give you a slide that long if you F tilt before the pivot animation begins? 90% of that is probably either impossible or has blatantly obvious answer, but again I'm not frame expert nor do I concern my self with why something happens. I DO have a video and I may be exaggerating the slide a little bit but it has to be close to 1/2 DACUS slide. I will upload if nobody knows how this happened or how to do it.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
uhh are you talking about a single hit Bair? If you check out Fox's Link AT thread theres a section on that. Bair is actually one of Links few True combos. Though i have no idea how you could connect a single hit Bair to a pivot landing ftilt. lol

quirkynature

Smash Ace
May I request you post the vid up, nonetheless? I haven't heard of something like this and you might have uncovered something new.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
uhh are you talking about a single hit Bair? If you check out Fox's Link AT thread theres a section on that. Bair is actually one of Links few True combos. Though i have no idea how you could connect a single hit Bair to a pivot landing ftilt. lol
I did a full hop rising bair, the second hit landed then when I hit the ground I slid and did an F tilt. I'll post a video, but it won't be up for awhile.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
Oh. It didn't look like a Craq walk, but the slide is very similar might be a little longer. The animation looked a little different. Either way I doubt it's useful since he already gets that much of a slide.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Link's Bair/Nair/Fair/Zair auto cancel when he lands. You probably did Bair>buffered Ftilt. Ftilt's animation makes Link step forward from a standing position but your timing skipped Link standing and showed the Ftilt directly after landing which has impressive forward reach. That's my best guess.

jaypay

Smash Rookie
How do people perform tilt moves so efficiently? Such as the Utilt.
Most times I try and do the Utilt I either do an Usmash or I jump...

Or is it just practice?

quirkynature

Smash Ace
If you have the GC controller, try setting jump to X or Y. That way, when you push the control stick up and press A, you'll perform the U-tilt. Use the C-stick for smashes.

Or, with tap jump on, tilt the control stick slightly upwards, hence up-tilt.

And, of course, practice.

Rizen

Smash Legend
How do people perform tilt moves so efficiently? Such as the Utilt.
Most times I try and do the Utilt I either do an Usmash or I jump...

Or is it just practice?
I have a GC controller and use 'C' for smashes. If you are already holding up on the control stick and tap 'C' up you will Utilt. Same goes for any tilt direction.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Turn tap jump off. And its all cake.

Utilt is like Links best melee attack.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Really?...

You apparently have a long way to go.

Step 1: Start game and get to the first menu.
Step 2: Choose Options
Step 3: Choose Controls
Step 4: Create a Tag (a player name) or if you have one already select it.
Step 5: Choose the controller you use (as long as its not the wii mote, which has no tap jump off)
Step 6: Select the tap jump on button to toggle it to off.
Step 7: Save
Step 8: When on the character select screen. Click the small pencil icon under your player and choose your tag (player name).

And you're done. Now tap jump is off. Very very simple. Perhaps you should try looking around the game itself before asking really really simple questions.

jaypay

Smash Rookie
Really?...

You apparently have a long way to go.

Step 1: Start game and get to the first menu.
Step 2: Choose Options
Step 3: Choose Controls
Step 4: Create a Tag (a player name) or if you have one already select it.
Step 5: Choose the controller you use (as long as its not the wii mote, which has no tap jump off)
Step 6: Select the tap jump on button to toggle it to off.
Step 7: Save
Step 8: When on the character select screen. Click the small pencil icon under your player and choose your tag (player name).

And you're done. Now tap jump is off. Very very simple. Perhaps you should try looking around the game itself before asking really really simple questions.
Lol yeah sorry, i probably would've gotten that...
It's just that my wii is packed up

jaypay

Smash Rookie
How many people actually turn tap jump off?
Because I felt uncomfortable with tap jump because I sometimes use the stick to jump.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Pretty much everyone uses X/Y or something else to jump. Tap jump is basically bad in my cases. It makes doing some Advance techniques much harder.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504

quirkynature

Smash Ace
For some really odd reason, Link's movement in that reminds of Itachi Uchiha.

Anyway, it IS a movement hack. Look how fast the fully charged arrow's tips shine. Looks cool. If that was actually how Link moved in Brawl, he'd definitely be up a few spots, I think.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I dont think its that he had less lag. It might be that opponents got more hit stun from them.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Faster in terms of movement speed? Or attack speed? Seems to me like Link was relatively unchanged in compared to other characters. The only reason he is considered nerfed is because everyone else around him was buffed.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
his movement, yhe F-smash second huit eas faster, spin attack also was fater (and powerfull)
He is still pretty slow. Fsmash was Buffed up a bit in terms of Knock-back. Spin Attack is much, much worse, he can't Semi-Spike, and it's power is much weaker.
Other than that, Link was just adjusted to fit Brawl's Gameplay (Things like Usmash holding people in, Bair holding people when you ascend, and Zair has a bit more use. IMO)

lilseph

Smash Ace
That would be sick if it wasn't a hack.

EDIT: dam forgot to refresh, i was talking to that video where link did a sliding bow shot thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom