• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Link Question and Answer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
I recently changed my wireless router a few hours ago, and I now I can't access Nintendo WFC. I've gone to Nintendo's site and done all the troubleshooting, but when the Wii connects to the internet, Brawl doesn't. I get the system update popups, but I can't play online (error 50-something). I've reset my router, modem AND the Wii, messed with the channels, but nothing works.

I need my Wi-fi back! Help.

Edit: Is there a general Wi-fi troubleshoot post on SWF?

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I recently changed my wireless router a few hours ago, and I now I can't access Nintendo WFC. I've gone to Nintendo's site and done all the troubleshooting, but when the Wii connects to the internet, Brawl doesn't. I get the system update popups, but I can't play online (error 50-something). I've reset my router, modem AND the Wii, messed with the channels, but nothing works.

I need my Wi-fi back! Help.

Edit: Is there a general Wi-fi troubleshoot post on SWF?
Try here: http://www.smashboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=182

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
It's because of port priority and Faux Super Armour.
Basically, if you grab them or they grab you and an explosion interupts you while your in the grab, the player with CP4 will recieve the damage from the bomb but will recieve absolutely no hitstun and will pretty much be able to get a free hit because the other player (CP1, 2 or 3) will recieve damage and hitstun from the explosion. CP3 will beat 1 and 2 but will be beaten by 4, CP2 will beat 1 but will be beaten by 3 and 4, CP1 will always lose and CP4 will of course always win.
There are a few other things to do with port priority, but in regards to your question, you want CP4 because there are many explosions going on in a match against Snake and the odds are, there'll be a free hit because of Faux super armour at some point if they know what they are doing.

topiser

Smash Rookie
Hey I just game back from a few months break and i was playing on wifi today and i got a stage spike with a dash attack but i wasn't right beside the ledge. Pretty much they were on the ledge so i threw my boomerang and i expected them to come up so i did a dash attack a bit back from the ledge and they got spiked. So it was like this(this was on final destination)
x = me
o= oponent
- = stage

___________________X__o

So i dashed attacked from about that far from the ledge and they got spiked. I wasn't close enough to make actual contact in any way so the only real idea i have is that the boomerang could have done something to the hitbox of my opponent. I can't really test this as i don't have anyone to test with, so i just want you guys say.

And if this is already found sorry :p

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
x = me
o= oponent
- = stage

___________________X__o

And if this is already found sorry :p
Somebody else started a thread about this way back when. It's actually not a spike, but it's your opponent's Smash Directional Influence. Link's sword attacks have a few freeze frames during which when you press directions, you'll move that way. Your opponent likely DIed down and left and smacked himself into the stage, resulting in a stagespike.
Further, we have the data for Link and there is no evidence contained that his dash attack has a point at which it spikes. The knockback direction remains upwards.
That's the conclusion we've come to every time in a situation like this, and so it's safe to say that it will be the same thing here.
So go humiliate your friend and tell him that if he stops smacking the control stick(s) down and towards you, he'll stop spiking himself for you! :mad:

topiser

Smash Rookie
Somebody else started a thread about this way back when. It's actually not a spike, but it's your opponent's Smash Directional Influence. Link's sword attacks have a few freeze frames during which when you press directions, you'll move that way. Your opponent likely DIed down and left and smacked himself into the stage, resulting in a stagespike.
Further, we have the data for Link and there is no evidence contained that his dash attack has a point at which it spikes. The knockback direction remains upwards.
That's the conclusion we've come to every time in a situation like this, and so it's safe to say that it will be the same thing here.
So go humiliate your friend and tell him that if he stops smacking the control stick(s) down and towards you, he'll stop spiking himself for you! :mad:
Oh, but I wasn't really in range of actually hitting him, so how did that work o.O

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Well from what description you gave, the only other possible explanation is that the opponent was slightly under the stage and the wind effect from the returning boomerang slammed him into the side of the stage to spike him. If you don't think it was that, then you need to give more description.
Let me find a video of what I'm talking about. Give me one second.

EDIT: Can't find it, but yeah.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Well from what description you gave, the only other possible explanation is that the opponent was slightly under the stage and the wind effect from the returning boomerang slammed him into the side of the stage to spike him. If you don't think it was that, then you need to give more description.
Let me find a video of what I'm talking about. Give me one second.

EDIT: Can't find it, but yeah.
I'm sorry, but, let me get this straight.

The returning Boomerang can drag you into the stage and cause a stagespike? WTH? Won't wall jumpers and crawlers just jump and crawl?

Hey guys, I have a question about the timing of the ledge hop fair. I like using wiimote with Link (Specifically him only). Half the time I only get to use one hit of fair when I do it. I fall half the time so I question myself when I'm about to use it in a brawl. How exactly can you successfully use a ledge hop fair and what is the right timing for it? (I need it completely broken down if possible)

pulse131

Smash Ace
well berserker, with the wiimote im not sure if anything is different but when i do it its kinda like snake neutral air off the ground with one jump. hold the jump button and the attack button, attacking right after you jump, as well as holding forward. since your a snake main im sure it wont be too difficult, unless the wiimote is weird like that or something.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Hmm. I'm bad when it comes to controls with the Wiimote and its different schemes, but here's what I do with my Gamecube controller (ha, and we laughed when Miyamoto said we would use the GC controller for 10 years):

After I grab the edge, I usually press back on the control stick and X (set to Z with my controls) to regrab the edge; I do this twice (this gives you extra invincibility frames if you do it fast enough, so you can't be hit between slashes in your fair). Then, as fast as I can, I hit down to fastfall from the edge, IMMEDIATELY jump with Y, press forward on the control stick to start moving towards the stage, and hit the Cstick forward (all of this is at almost the same time). If you're only getting the first slash off, you're probably falling too far, or doing the fair too late. You need to time it very precisely.

Since you use a different controller, you probably use a different control setup (mine's pretty weird anyway). Do you use the Classic controller or the Wiichuck?

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Usually, when I grab my opponent, I pummel once and throw. I saw a few of Deva's vids and he usually ground releases.

How can you force a ground release when I'm pumping the control stick in every direction imaginable?

Scabe

Successful Businessman
If you keep pummeling you'll force a ground release,

I think if you the opponent mashes jump while you don't pummel it will force an air release

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
They're also automatically air released if their feet aren't touching the ground at all while you're not pummeling them I think, so if you grab them over the edge, or if you grab someone short like Meta Knight and you're a tall character (Captain Falcon) I think it's an air release as long as you don't pummel them.

If you want to ground release you need to be pummeling them I think. On a side note, the more hurt an opponent is the more you can pummel them before they'll be able to break out. I usually go by one pummel per 50% as a personal guideline; below 50% I pummel once (or not at all if they're below like 10%), 50-100 twice, 100-150 three times, etc., although I'll sometimes add an extra pummel if they're higher up in that range or if I don't think they'll be able to break out that fast (I caught them by surprise, etc.).

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Hmm. I know Link gets a guaranteed dsmash on characters with slow ground releases, like Wario, Ness, and Lucas, and maybe a couple others. Dsmash is one of Link's fastest moves and has good range, so it's probably going to be one of his better options anyway. Other than that I think it's going to mostly be mindgames. Does anyone know if Link has anything guaranteed out of a ground release?

EDIT: Haha, great minds think alike Ryos.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Yeah for Ness and Lucas Dsmash works since they have that stupid grab release thing.

But for the rest we could be punished we could get punished for doing Dsmash.

I've had some people ground release me at the edge and then stage spike me. I wonder if Link can do that.

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
When the battle starts should I pull out a bomb for my first attack or use an Arrow?

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I think a bomb pull gives you more options to start the battle, usually safest to SH a bomb pull or something so you can still move if they decide to rush you.

Though in a 2v2 or something with 4 characters, its probably best to just find a safe out before you prepare an attack. Seeing as with 4 players on the stage, Link is very capable of being easily juggled.

Also jabs aren't really that good for grab release i think. I never was really able to do a release to jab, atleast not the whole jab combo. Maybe like a single jab to retreating zair or something.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
I kinda like a single jab out of grab since it allows me to force them on the defensive while usually giving me a chance to at worst reset everything. If it hits, great, jab cancel combo. If they shield or spotdodge, second jab and then retreating zair, jab cancel, etc. If they power shield, retreating zair. If they roll back, SH backwards bomb pull. If they roll behind me, bair, reverse dsmash, etc. There are probably better options, but I don't think it's a terrible choice.

In terms of what to do at the beginning of a match,I think it just depends. I don't usually do anything in particular when the match starts. I just try to predict what my opponent will do and go from there. On BF for example if I think they're gonna approach right from the start, I jump up or drop down and zair and go from there. Sometimes I use a boomerang, sometimes I bomb pull and then maybe arrow cancel, just whatever.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
IThe most common thing to do would be pull out a bomb in the beginning of the match. Full hopped pulling bombs might be the best, since some opponent's just rush straight towards you, and by full hopping your sorta in a better position to get above your opponent with your second jump and do some bomb combos. Not only that if the opponent is far away you can like Arrow cancel after your bomb pull. I should do this more :).

Rizen

Smash Legend
I like bombs to start the match, but sometimes I'll drop through the small platform and quickdraw depending on what the opponent does.

In normal circumstances Link always ground releases because the low angle he holds characters.
I can always get at least 1 pummel in before a throw if I buffer it. I'm not sure if this is guaranteed.

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
Is there any way to lag cancel Links Uair?

I think I did it once but could figure out how I did it

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115

Accidental double post

quirkynature

Smash Ace
The Gale Boomerang's return lag (the animation in which Link catches it) cancels the 15 frame U-air landing lag and 51 frame D-air landing lag.

Edit: 2 posts down, read Arizen's response. That's the best answer to the question.

Rizen

Smash Legend

Use it high enough. Uair landing cancels 46 frames or about 3/4ths of a second after being activated. Using it on the rise of a full jump should be enough time.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
You can also cancel Uair much earlier like in the beginning frames and it makes Link do a Spark from his blade and you don't get any landing lag. It's not useful at all, but I use this as a taunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom