• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

Uck

Smash Journeyman
I guess my real question is that no matter where I am in my trajectory from an attack my regualar Di inputs on my control stick stays exactly the same and does not deviate right?

Geist

Smash Master
^^^ From what I think you're asking, the answer is no.

Can you jc an uptilt from fox's shine?
If not, what makes Usmash so special?

Uck

Smash Journeyman
:( Just to clarify I get foward smashed by marth my Di is up and towards the stage.So my input in my control stick is up and towards the stage and doesn't deviate at all until I survive right? I slam diagonal on the control stick and keep it there to survive right?

Uck

Smash Journeyman
Thanks I found an answer.I did not know that once Di is inputted and determined it does not change.So I cant alter my Di as im flying through my trajectory once I inputed it.

Magus420

Smash Master
DI perpendicular to the attack's default trajectory for the strongest change in trajectory, not perpendicularly to your flight path. While the flight path will vary, Marth's f-smash sends at a default of exactly 45° (diagonally up&away) ALWAYS, regardless of being tipped/untipped, your character, damage, DI, etc. Perpendicular on a 45° is 135° (up&towards) to get the highest trajectory and -45° (down&away) to get the lowest trajectory.

If you want to get a better idea of what the actual trajectory of a move is you want to limit the effect of fall speed on the flight path by making the knockback as strong as possible. Use the move against Jigglypuff (slowest fall speed) with no DI and either set them to 999%, or if it doesn't have growth from damage like Fox's shine turn on handicap and set the one being hit to a handicap of 1 and the attacker to really high (handicap of 8 is glitched and is better than 9 in some or maybe all versions), and change the attack/damage ratio from 1.0 to 2.0.

Vro

Smash Lord
Can you jc an uptilt from fox's shine?
If not, what makes Usmash so special?
You can't jump cancel into a tilt. Afaik, you can only cancel jump into a grab or upsmash. Up smash is special because, probably when being designed, you press up to cast it and it had to be forgiving on the jump input.

edit: ofc i forgot about upb. upb OoS 222g

X1-12

Smash Champion
You can't jump cancel into a tilt. Afaik, you can only cancel jump into a grab or upsmash. Up smash is special because, probably when being designed, you press up to cast it and it had to be forgiving on the jump input.
this, otherwise you would have to input jump and A in the same frame.

you can also jump cancel Up+B, they're the only 3 things you can jump cancel

S l o X

Smash Champion
Why doesn't someone make a list of things / techniques people can work on by themselves and the best way to do so?

I think this is the best idea I've had ever (relating to this game). It would help a lot of people, including myself. Since it's hard as **** for me to get to tourneys / smashfests and I'm still a novice at this game.

If I was experienced, I would take the task / time and do it but I'm not. Plus I have no name for myself and the thread would probably die in a day.

Really just a suggestion, to anyone who isn't ICG.

Pi

Smash Hero
Why doesn't someone make a list of things / techniques people can work on by themselves and the best way to do so?

I think this is the best idea I've had ever (relating to this game). It would help a lot of people, including myself. Since it's hard as **** for me to get to tourneys / smashfests and I'm still a novice at this game.

If I was experienced, I would take the task / time and do it but I'm not. Plus I have no name for myself and the thread would probably die in a day.

Really just a suggestion, to anyone who isn't ICG.
Honestly the best thing(s) you can practice by yourself is everything. Just maneuvering your character around any given map is going to help you become a more consistent player.

Wavedash OoS
Wave landing back onto the stage/in general
Wavedashing & attacking out of it
Spacing your wavedashing
Crouch canceling your jabs
Dash dancing (getting use to the spacing)
Dropping down through platforms
Fast falling

Anything and everything you use in a match needs to be practice, because if you mess it up it opens yourself up to punishment.

Vro

Smash Lord
Analyzing videos is underrated. Watch how players use jumps. Learn the value of patience, because it is different in each situation. Many characters have very limited options at certain times, which eases prediction.

The most important fundamentals to practice are movement and OoS options, imo.

edit: speaking of moving quickly out of shield stun, everyone should practice dashing or jumping after a throw. punishments like upthrow upair on jiggs or dthrow knee require you to move asap outta throw, otherwise it's a wasted punishment.

Pi

Smash Hero
Analyzing videos is underrated. Watch how players use jumps. Learn the value of patience, because it is different in each situation. Many characters have very limited options at certain times, which eases prediction.

The most important fundamentals to practice are movement and OoS options, imo.
Agreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Wish there was a good way to practice against shield hit stun.

S l o X

Smash Champion
Thanks knihT, helped a lot and it's basically all right, it's just hard to recognize that running around the stage actually helps you.

Vro

Smash Lord
Do you mean as you're falling thru a platform, Marth does a uair and stays on the plat? If so, no I do not think so.

Kanelol

Smash Lord
I saw my friend do it on accident the other day and I was like "**** that isn't supposed to be possible." Apparently I was incorrect. Nifty.

mers

Smash Ace
I'm working on getting pivot shenanigans down so I can incorporate them into my gameplay. I can pivot fsmash with like 80% consistency (using the cstick) and I don't think I need help with that. Same goes for pivot grab and jump. Bizarrely, I can even empty pivot with like 95% consistency. I thought that was supposed to be really hard, but it wasn't for me.

Anyhow, I'm trying to learn to pivot jab and ftilt. I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be doing, though. Can somebody tell me the difference in inputs between those and pivot fsmash? Assuming I don't miss the pivot, when I try for a pivot jab I get it about 50% of the time, and ftilt 25% and fsmash 25%. I don't even know how to try for the ftilt.

Also, what are some uses of empty pivot? I play mostly Marth and Falcon, but I'd love to know its applications for just about any character.

Thanks!

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I'm working on getting pivot shenanigans down so I can incorporate them into my gameplay. I can pivot fsmash with like 80% consistency (using the cstick) and I don't think I need help with that. Same goes for pivot grab and jump. Bizarrely, I can even empty pivot with like 95% consistency. I thought that was supposed to be really hard, but it wasn't for me.

Anyhow, I'm trying to learn to pivot jab and ftilt. I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be doing, though. Can somebody tell me the difference in inputs between those and pivot fsmash? Assuming I don't miss the pivot, when I try for a pivot jab I get it about 50% of the time, and ftilt 25% and fsmash 25%. I don't even know how to try for the ftilt.

Also, what are some uses of empty pivot? I play mostly Marth and Falcon, but I'd love to know its applications for just about any character.

Thanks!
f tilt and up tilt are the hardest.

if you can't pivot jab then you might be bad at pivots. there are no timing differences. just up and f tilts require slight stick movement which often turns into jump or dash.

empty pivots are good for grabbing the edge.

but basically you should do something out of them, they allow you to dash and turn around instantly. I guess you can try to fake an approach but pivots are good because if what you can do out of them.

mers

Smash Ace
But what is the input for ftilt? Is it just an empty pivot, followed quickly by an ftilt? I guess I've been trying to do it as one movement, when I should really try to think of it as two? Same goes for jab I guess, the flick of the stick in the opposite direction should end before I jab. Does this make sense?

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
yes. you pivot first and then attack.

when you pivot you are in the standing position, so you can just do anything you can do from standing.

X1-12

Smash Champion
Pivot Jab, empty pivot -> jab

pivot F-tilt, Empty pivot -> F-tilt OR just hold the same direction after the pivot for the tilt, I personally prefer empty pivot then F-tilt though

mers

Smash Ace
Gotcha. I guess I was confused because when I do pivot fsmash with the c-stick, I don't empty pivot. I just DD and use the c-stick at the moment I turn around.

Thanks everyone.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
that is the same thing. as soon as you pivot you are standing.

you can just f smash, jab, f tilt.

you want to attack right after the pivot. should look like 1 motion.

mers

Smash Ace
For me, the difference is that when I dash dance I just slam the stick side to side. If I miss the timing on the c-stick, I just DD. But I can't do this for any of the other attacks, because hitting A when slamming the stick back the other way automatically gives me a smash attack. I have to do a different motion than when I dash dance.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
you aren't very good at pivoting.

you are just timing the smash attack at the point right b4 you dash. its about control.

try dashing one way and then flick the stik the other way. you should empty pivot. should look like you instantly stop moving and are just standing.

if you can empty pivot 90 percent of the time then just empty pivot and then jab.

when you pivot from the dash you shouldn't hold the opposite direction, you just flick it and let it rest neutral. slam one way flick the other.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
As a brawl*** I've always wondered something and never really understood...

What is the practical point of dash dancing? Like what is it really for, and when would I want to do it?

Kanelol

Smash Lord
Dashdancing is totally pointless and competitive players only use it to boost their APM and make themselves look even more technical and cool

jk mindgames

4 Aces

Smash Ace
As a brawl*** I've always wondered something and never really understood...

What is the practical point of dash dancing? Like what is it really for, and when would I want to do it?
Basically, what everyone else has said. It mixes things up and makes you less predictable; it can bait attacks and/or provoke them into doing something stupid. It's a hard concept to get, because truly, it does look silly sometimes, but it starts to make more sense when you start using it/when it's used well against you.

On top of that it helps you close in/out of range. You can easily inch in toward an opponent via dash dancing (guess it depends on how good your character's dash dance is lol).

It's much better than standing perfectly still; the minute you move, people will be more than ready to react.

Edit: Lol whoops sorry for the double post.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
What is planking and how do you do it?
ooooh oooh ooh I can answer this one!

Basically it's just stalling on the ledge. But it's not really good enough to qualify as stalling using most ruleset definitions, so you don't get DQ'd for it.

Oh and that makes sense about it being better than just standing still.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
ooooh oooh ooh I can answer this one!

Basically it's just stalling on the ledge. But it's not really good enough to qualify as stalling using most ruleset definitions, so you don't get DQ'd for it.

Oh and that makes sense about it being better than just standing still.
Ah, I see. I've always just called it ledge stalling. lol I know it isn't foolproof, but is it possible as a strategy? The reason I bring it up is because sometimes I hear negativity towards it. Idk, maybe I've been interpreting what they're saying wrong.

Thanks man. And no problem.

Top Bottom