• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

Oracle

Smash Master
Falcon+Falcon
Epic team

Also an interesting one is Falco+Kirby. Kirby gets falco's power and then can SHDL, and when falco SHL's kirby can do crouching wavedash approaches.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
The team is hampered by SHDL Kirby basically being a killable Brawl Falco with no chain grab or overpowered Dair. That, and both characters blow at 2v1s if their partner isn't around to help them. They're also both slow.

Spife

Smash Master
The team is hampered by SHDL Kirby basically being a killable Brawl Falco with no chain grab or overpowered Dair. That, and both characters blow at 2v1s if their partner isn't around to help them. They're also both slow.
so what you're saying is Link is the best candidate for doubles?

Link can't SHL (or DL for that matter)
Link is nothing from brawl, or kirby
He always comes back after he dies
He has a chain with which to grab people
He has an over powered dair
Link ***** at 2v1 (see: twinrolva)
Though Link is slow...

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
sheik/peach is going to be the best team at E-52. i'm calling it.

idea: they should give link his mirror shield in the next smash so he auto-reflects all projectiles when he stands still, not just physical ones. and give him a decent recovery for once.
if only the hero of time were good in one smash game...

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
so what you're saying is Link is the best candidate for doubles?

Link can't SHL (or DL for that matter)
Link is nothing from brawl, or kirby
He always comes back after he dies
He has a chain with which to grab people
He has an over powered dair
Link ***** at 2v1 (see: twinrolva)
Though Link is slow...
Fox can win a 4v1 with just lasers. That's better than anything Link can do.

teeman92

Smash Lord
Pensacola, FL. That place that Tristen de Luna fou
question about wavedshing. i need to figure out how to do it during fights, i always end up with air dodging. i mean i know how to do it, sometime i get nervous and get distracted.

im noticed im not good with "self defense" in game, i tend to get knocked around alot and never countering. example: *falco up throws mario* *mario instanly sex kicks*or *falcos dair to shine, get naired in air*. stupidly i SHL al the time, but shiek and mario tend to be too short, they say its possible to hit em, but.....

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
Fox can win a 4v1 with just lasers. That's better than anything Link can do.
You have 5 controller ports?

question about wavedshing. i need to figure out how to do it during fights, i always end up with air dodging. i mean i know how to do it, sometime i get nervous and get distracted.

im noticed im not good with "self defense" in game, i tend to get knocked around alot and never countering. example: *falco up throws mario* *mario instanly sex kicks*or *falcos dair to shine, get naired in air*. stupidly i SHL al the time, but shiek and mario tend to be too short, they say its possible to hit em, but.....
do stuff

/mang0

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
It sounds like you just need more control over your character. Wavedashing in friendlies/tournaments without messing up just takes time to get the nerves calm.

You just can't SHL with Falco. That will normally put the laser too high, learn to be able to mix low and high lasers. To do them lower you need to hit B a little slower, higher is earlier. Then you just mess around with fast fall times until you understand how the laser trajectories work. Really no secrets other than practicing.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
It sounds like you just need more control over your character. Wavedashing in friendlies/tournaments without messing up just takes time to get the nerves calm.

You just can't SHL with Falco. That will normally put the laser too high, learn to be able to mix low and high lasers. To do them lower you need to hit B a little slower, higher is earlier. Then you just mess around with fast fall times until you understand how the laser trajectories work. Really no secrets other than practicing.
Pretty much. Use SHL bu mix them up with Double jump double lasers. Do a double jump immediately and then then shoot 2 lasers. One should be at double jump height, the second should be at SHL height.

Just remember that Falco (I'm assuming you play Falco) has a weird wavedash, because he spends I think 6 frames on the ground before he actually jumps, so the timing is delayed. Just mess with it and then mess around till you're consistent.

bolt.

Smash Ace
Can someone tell me what the difference between jumping with the control stick and x/y are? I have been using up on the control stick since I started playing and already learned the basics with it, but it seems like everything is more fluid with x/y. Should I switch or not switch?

Tamoo

Smash Master
Its all personal preferance really,
Ive always preferred using x, cos i feel that i have the whole control stick to concentrate on horizontal movement, which is quite important for jiggs,
Also, I find it much easier to wavedash and short hop with x.
There are also many pros to using the control stick, it leaves your right thumb free to access the other buttons on the right hand side, and i find it much easier to jump cancel shines with up,

At the end of the day, there are pros who use the control stick, some who use x/y, and some who use both, as long as you get used to the one that your most comfortable with, there should be no problem

bolt.

Smash Ace
Okay, thank you. I didn't want to learn jumping the wrong way and not be able to improve to a pro level.

teeman92

Smash Lord

i see....i hope im not bothering you guys

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Can someone tell me what the difference between jumping with the control stick and x/y are? I have been using up on the control stick since I started playing and already learned the basics with it, but it seems like everything is more fluid with x/y. Should I switch or not switch?
For shffl things I feel X/Y is better since you simplify the movement. I just feel it's harder to flick up -> fastfall -> and maintain horizontal DI and spacing than it is to use X/Y to accomplish the same thing. Some people do use the control stick and have no issues, so you can stick with it if you want but I feel that's harder.

If you currently have no bias on using X or Y and you think you are going to make the switch, I really recommend you use Y if you think you will ever pick up Fox. I used X for 3 years and made the switch to Y about 3 months ago, for me it was worth it.

Lovage

Smash Hero
For shffl things I feel X/Y is better since you simplify the movement. I just feel it's harder to flick up -> fastfall -> and maintain horizontal DI and spacing than it is to use X/Y to accomplish the same thing. Some people do use the control stick and have no issues, so you can stick with it if you want but I feel that's harder.

If you currently have no bias on using X or Y and you think you are going to make the switch, I really recommend you use Y if you think you will ever pick up Fox. I used X for 3 years and made the switch to Y about 3 months ago, for me it was worth it.
^^word

i use the stick for everything except ground wavedashes. i can do everything really well. shield pressure (fox nair shine) seems easier with the stick. my crew mate replicate switched to stick to do shield pressure and got better with it because of stick. also you can do double laser really really easy with stick.

the main drawback i feel from using stick is you lose a slight amount of aerial mobility. fox's nair is slightly shorter (minimum 1 frame of input shorter) for example. i wish i could have the same mobility as a Y-jumper, but it doesn't make a huge difference. also its a bit harder to do "backwards jumps" when you use the stick to jump (ex: falcon's backflip has slightly different properties than his regular jump, helps wavelanding with most characters)

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
^^word

i use the stick for everything except ground wavedashes. i can do everything really well. shield pressure (fox nair shine) seems easier with the stick. my crew mate replicate switched to stick to do shield pressure and got better with it because of stick. also you can do double laser really really easy with stick.

the main drawback i feel from using stick is you lose a slight amount of aerial mobility. fox's nair is slightly shorter (minimum 1 frame of input shorter) for example. i wish i could have the same mobility as a Y-jumper, but it doesn't make a huge difference. also its a bit harder to do "backwards jumps" when you use the stick to jump (ex: falcon's backflip has slightly different properties than his regular jump, helps wavelanding with most characters)
I agree but I have a personal question for ya, Lovage.

I can do a "fake" shield pressure (nair shine / dair shine / whatever REALLY fast using the control stick to short hop), but the problem is that when I learned it (simply for flashy purposes) I was pressing up too fast after the shine so when I try to apply it, I end up trying to jump in the hitlag/stun of the shine hitting the opponent.

When you started using the control stick the jump, did you have times when Fox wouldn't jump even though there was no hitstun/lag and you were pressing up (as opposed to slightly left or right)?

Lovage

Smash Hero
yes, i had this exact same problem when i started to learn how to shield pressure (mango taught me lol) i used to get stuck in the shine because i was jumping too fast. just practice doing your nair as CLOSE to the ground as you can, shining, and then jumping out in a steady rhythm.

mostly just practice as much as you can, and then you can get really fast with it.
and btw i've been jumping with stick since i started playing smash ( 3 years ago i guess)

HawaiianJigglyPuff

Smash Ace
This is kind of an odd question.

If someone counters my character on the first game in a match, should I speak up and be like, "Hey don't be a douche bag!" I feel like the rules are so well known that it's hard to spell it out for people when they do this sort of thing.

But like does it make me look like a jerk (considering calling for a double blind is so uncommon) and it's always just kind of an honor code?

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
my best friend/doubles partner always calls out for double blind picks. even though he only plays one character...lol. but since he's not well known it definitely is an advantage to anyone who plays more than one character, and i think there's no problem with asking for it so why not. it's not common but it's not calling anyone a cheater or being directly rude, so i don't think anyone ever gets upset about it.

i forgot who said it, but there's a quote that goes something like "information is the most valuable weapon. if you know what you're opponent is thinking, half of the fight has gone your way." so don't let them know who you play if you can prevent it and if they can use it against you :p

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
if anyone knows any melee stuff tourney/smashfest wise in nyc it will be greatly appreciated to let me know so i can get more into this game. i've owned it since for ever but never entered anything competitive. thanks for your help anyone who takes time to ready this. :)

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
if anyone knows any melee stuff tourney/smashfest wise in nyc it will be greatly appreciated to let me know so i can get more into this game. i've owned it since for ever but never entered anything competitive. thanks for your help anyone who takes time to ready this. :)
Regional Zones and find your corresponding area. Introduce yourself and then you should have no problem finding people around your area. NYC/NJ have a pretty good smash community, iirc.

teeman92

Smash Lord
i recently met a friend that mains mario. he plays fairly aggresive and loves pursuiting on me. my SHL keeps him back, but, i have a hard time trying to combo him. because EVERY TIME i knock him in the air(not too high), he instantly Nairs almost computer like and there is almost no way to stop it: wavedashing backwards always make me end up being grabed, shining does nothing, up smashes seem to never hit him and alway count as if he hit me. shielding grabing results in being grabbed. its

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
i recently met a friend that mains mario. he plays fairly aggresive and loves pursuiting on me. my SHL keeps him back, but, i have a hard time trying to combo him. because EVERY TIME i knock him in the air(not too high), he instantly Nairs almost computer like and there is almost no way to stop it: wavedashing backwards always make me end up being grabed, shining does nothing, up smashes seem to never hit him and alway count as if he hit me. shielding grabing results in being grabbed. its
up tilt
that'll teach those *******s to try to do a falling aerial on falco...
not to mention if you space your bair/uair you can hit any sex kick without being hit back. just try and space it correctly. or like i said stand under them and utilt and lol@them.

edit: also if "sheldng grabing results in being grabbed" (sic) then you need to react faster. or if he lands out of your range don't try to shield grab

teeman92

Smash Lord
up tilt
that'll teach those *******s to try to do a falling aerial on falco...
not to mention if you space your bair/uair you can hit any sex kick without being hit back. just try and space it correctly. or like i said stand under them and utilt and lol@them.

edit: also if "sheldng grabing results in being grabbed" (sic) then you need to react faster. or if he lands out of your range don't try to shield grab
uptilt works, but sometimes in a "brawl" i end up getting sex kicked in mid air, he doesnt fall on me, just kicks in mid air(kinda like fighting a lv 9 cpu mario, you always end up being kicked if you fight him)

i dont know if its me, i cant even grab someone without going thru them or shield on accident(im using Z) and end up being torn apart.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
If your shielding, just use A to grab. Z has some weird properties that can mess you up sometimes. I usually only use Z to standing grab or JC grab. Typically all of the mario brothers can nair out of all usual combos earlier than other characters due to their floatiness and weight. Usually the best ways around it are to just wait on the ground and attack after the nair ends or try to attack from the side or above them like Hazygoose said. Just don't jump into it.

Just put yourself in his position and start expecting when you think he will spam nair to try to get out of whatever your doing.

Vro

Smash Lord
Just put yourself in his position and start expecting when you think he will spam nair to try to get out of whatever your doing.
Exactly. You'd be surprised how easy it is to time something when you learn that everyone reacts instantly out of hitstun.

Geist

Smash Master
uptilt works, but sometimes in a "brawl" i end up getting sex kicked in mid air, he doesnt fall on me, just kicks in mid air(kinda like fighting a lv 9 cpu mario, you always end up being kicked if you fight him)
Sounds like you just need to use his technique against him. Basically what ArcNatural said.
If he sex kicks, wait for him, and then ****. I'm pretty sure a good bair will out-prioritize anything mario has, save the cape.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Does anyone remember that thread that was something like "Craziest thing you've ever seen a CPU do" or something like that? Trying to find it so I don't have to make a duplicate thread. I searched for it, but I can't search for 'CPU' since it's too small of a word, and I can't remember any other words from the title.

teeman92

Smash Lord
Sounds like you just need to use his technique against him. Basically what ArcNatural said.
If he sex kicks, wait for him, and then ****. I'm pretty sure a good bair will out-prioritize anything mario has, save the cape.
im gonna have to wait till friday to see the results, im not allowed AT ALL to play video games on school days. (that explains why my practices never work)

Geist

Smash Master
Does anyone remember that thread that was something like "Craziest thing you've ever seen a CPU do" or something like that? Trying to find it so I don't have to make a duplicate thread. I searched for it, but I can't search for 'CPU' since it's too small of a word, and I can't remember any other words from the title.
I remember that thread. I couldn't find the thread by searching either, I tried lol. Smashboards' search engine isn't exactly state of the art.

I think it would be fine to make a new one.

im gonna have to wait till friday to see the results, im not allowed AT ALL to play video games on school days. (that explains why my practices never work)
Same here
In fact, I barely play on weekends either.

Binx

Smash Master
teenman, just hit him with l canceled drills, until it pops him up, if it doesn't knock him fair shine him and wait for the kick then nair him, if he goes far don't shine him, just skip to the waiting for him to nair and kick him with something.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Well you should probably learn the basics and master them before you complain about not being able to beat people.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone have PKMVodka's short but pretty much concise little phrase about DI?

It was like...

for combo DI hold up and away on the control stick, and down on the c-stick or something..
and went on for 2 more lines..

Incronaut

Smash Ace
dumb question: is commentary required now for tournament videos or is it like a new rising thing?

i enjoy them a lot, just wondering

Top Bottom