• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
YOu can kind of tell his grab range blows, but he's just so **** fast and has a good amount of things that lead into a grab that it makes up for it.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
^That and the distance that his dash-grab covers is like an eighth of FD. He slides a good distance which is why it ends up being useful and (sort of) having a larger range.

EDIT: I originally said "That and the fast that his dash-grab covers..." o_O;;

Edit #2: I meant JC grab, not dash-grab, but I think you knew what I meant.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Double post for a new question (since people won't see that this is updated): Who has a good matchup against Sheik? I've been told Falco, but aside from that I haven't heard a whole lot. I'd be satisfied with even a low or mid tier that has an advantage over her. Does anyone know what weaknesses she has?

Spife

Smash Master
I thought it was fox and only fox. Actually, I'm pretty sure the fox match up with sheik is almost even (probably in fox's favor) and that falco gets wrecked (I'm sure that if Falco is off the stage falco is done, sheik has so many options to stop his recovery).
Also Link. That match up is 70/30 but I forget in who's favor, so it must be in Link's favor :bee:

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
Fox has an advantage. Falco is about even. Falco can combo sheik, but sheik can gimp Falco with ******** ****

Fox can easily edgeguard sheik and can waveshine regrab uthrow uair ftw.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Fox > Sheik
Sheik > Marth
Marth > Falco
Falco > Fox

Yay the big love square

And with the exception of Sheik ****** Marth, none of the top tiers destroy each other particularly hard, it's just slight advantage

GodFed

Smash Apprentice
Perhaps this question has been asked/answered before, but I haven't done any searching....

Who would be a good character to play in free-for-alls? I play a lot of these, and when I'm Falco, or Roy, or Ganon, I can hold my own in the inevitable on-on-one at the end, but I'm looking for good crowd players that have tank moves, or don't need too much tech skill or just seem to excel at free4alls...

From experience, I found that Link's UpB owns, but gets predictable, C.Falcon is good overall, and Zelda somehow seems to work for me with her predatory-wait-for-an-opening-on-the-side- FSmash.

Any thoughts?

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
Uhhh...well...FFA strategies?

I like falcon cuz you jsut run around and knee.

Spife

Smash Master
Uhhh...well...FFA strategies?

I like falcon cuz you jsut run around and knee.
This.

KevinM and I did a game where you do unlimited time and all the competitive players go falcon and you win when you do somethng cool.

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
With falcon his ****ty recovery isnt really all that exposed as much since you have to worry about people coming up from behind you and hitting you...unless you edgehog i guess...but then you are on the edge with 1 or 2 mroe people chillin

Vro

Smash Lord
Who has a good matchup against Sheik? I've been told Falco, but aside from that I haven't heard a whole lot. I'd be satisfied with even a low or mid tier that has an advantage over her. Does anyone know what weaknesses she has?
Isn't Ice Climbers by far her worst matchup? Doc is also not far from even with Sheik. Otherwise stick to the high tiers, where most matchups against Sheik are close to even.

Geist

Smash Master
Who would be a good character to play in free-for-alls?
From what I know, Peach, Fox, Sheik, and Jiggs do best in FFAs.

Marth is good too, but his range can result in a lot of friendly fire. Falco can be good, but his approach is gimped because lasers aren't guaranteed safe and can screw up your opponent, unlike fox's lasers, and his recovery isn't that good. Falcon is ok, but can't concentrate too much on combos, and his recovery sucks. A plus is that Falcon punch hits a lot more.

Alukard beasts in FFA's with Samus. But he just beasts in general with Samus.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
^Blowtoes, I'm not sure friendly fire exists in FFAs XP And Marth is great in FFAs, but tends to take more hits than someone like Fox. Fox is a good character because he can sort of just run around, spam lasers, be annoying, and KO someone out of nowhere with an upsmash. Fox is that one character that everyone hates in FFAs.

I do love Falcon in FFAs because you can just run into a group of people with a knee and you're guaranteed to hit someone. All Falcon FFAs are so beast, I won't even lie. The most hilarious thing is if you do all Falcon, Falcon Punch only. You suddenly learn that it's not as hard to pull off as you think XD

And yeah, Samus is good in FFAs, mostly due to spam. But if people go after Samus, she tends to lose out pretty fast.

I'm not a huge fan of FFAs, though. Probably just because I play super aggressively, which ends up giving me the most KOs, but also makes me take the most hits. So even though I'll get like 9 KOs, I could still lose the match.

That's probably why I never play to win in FFAs. I just try to do the most crazy things I can. So I tend to play Falcon a lot XD

Does anyone else find that Falcon is the most fun character to play as? I main Marth, but I just have so much fun playing Falcon.

Spife

Smash Master
just go link and spam nair and power attacks. That's what I do (all the time)

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
I believe that Fox is the best in FFAs, but Falcon is the most fun to play as. He simply wrecks everyone.

But yes, Falcon is by far the character that is the most fun to play. It's weird having a character that gets wrecked by so many other characters, but can beast it up against EVERYONE. Falcon is just too good. Plus, sticky walking is TOO fun.

GodFed

Smash Apprentice
Thanks, both of you, blowtoes and proverbs.

I prefer teams or one on one, but the only thing I can play is FFA because I always meet up with like five smashers with one cube, so we FFA and rotate out the bottom players each round.

From what I've seen as I played, I can agree with blowtoes about which chars are good....and I'd add Link in there b/c of the amazing UpB spam.

I've played Falcon for fun, and he is amazingly fun in FFA's I have to agree. The knee and the punch, that's all I find myselfusing.

Smash Ace
In FFA's, you're biggest goal is to survive, not get hits in, and then take the last stock. In my experience, the person with the most kills gets second a lot. Fox/Sheik/Marth can all do fine, in different ways: Fox can be evasive, Marth can zone, and Sheik can do a little of both (plus I like her recovery best out of those three). I've had bad experiences with Falco. Samus/Peach/Jiggs live a long time. Falcon's recovery hurts him less in FFAs because edgeguarding isn't as big of a deal, plus he's pretty heavy.

Despite what I said about surviving, I recommend not camping or running away a lot. That's an invitation to gang up on you. Play safely and conservatively, though. Or you can just charge in and try to get a lot of kills if that's more fun, but in my experience it's less likely to work well.

Binx

Smash Master
My view on FFAs is that most often you really only need to get second to keep your controller, and it was meant to be fun anyways, the MOST important thing is just staying out of the middle and being able to combo without grabbing, and have a long enough recovery to make it back on the stage at least most of the time, Jiggs has a tough time getting kills at all in FFAs although resting is a lot more safe since its likely you will take a low damage hit to wake you up with all the action, especially in a group of people.

Samus I think is just as worthless as she is in singles and teams, although you can missile and hit thins more frivolously. I think Fox is the best FFA person for killing and great for surviving as well, Falcon is fun but not as good as he can still be gimped fairly easily. Sheik is a beast as all her throws are pretty quick and she has a good recovery. Basically the better a character does in teams the better they will do in FFAs, Fox, Peach, Puff, Sheik are your top tiers, not necessarily in order, and Falcon, Marth and Falco can do okay as well.

Geist

Smash Master
I think Fox and Jiggs are the best team combo. drillshine to rest combos **** so hard
and jiggs can rest all day without much worry of missing if fox is close by.

Vro

Smash Lord
Do L & R share a CD when teching?
When you tech, you have a 20 frame window to tech. If you do it too early, you'll be shut out of that window and won't be able to tech. So yes, you cannot switch between the triggers to override that window.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
When you tech, you have a 20 frame window to tech. If you do it too early, you'll be shut out of that window and won't be able to tech. So yes, you cannot switch between the triggers to override that window.
And the "window" is another 40 frames.

Thus, you should get in the habit of only pressing L/R half way in when you want to L-cancel. This way, if you miss an L-cancel, you can still tech (since to tech you need to press L/R all the way in).

Spife

Smash Master
On topic of teching: to tech straight up you just have to press L or R, not up + L or R. I'm sure it's widely known but I always forget and sometimes use my double jump (and an airdodge) trying to tech straight up. I felt this information was necessary to the topic.

Darth Rancorous

Smash Ace
wats up everyone. the name is Darth Rancorous. i played melee for a couple of years when it first came out but never in a competitive way. then there was a period when i didnt play any video games at all. i picked up n64 again a couple of years ago and have gotten pretty good at it. now im tryin to get better at melee so ive picked it up again. ive been hangin around the n64 section these past few months but now, i wanna meet the melee community as well as learn from it so that i can get better. its too bad that im a couple of years too late because i think meeting hugs, phanna or wes wouldve definitely helped out my samus...

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
Sup dude. Head towards the regional zones, specifically the Pac West to see whatsup with your region

metashinryu

Smash Ace
Does anyone else find that Falcon is the most fun character to play as? I main Marth, but I just have so much fun playing Falcon.
MEEEEE

actually i just say falcon is my main cuz i play him most of time,my better character is by far falco, but falcon is so **** fun to play that i got addicted to him :chuckle:

Top Bottom