• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

Geist

Smash Master
Question:
I'm aware of how to meteor cancel, but I want to have a more in-depth description about it frame-wise, so I know how to be more consistant.
Does it follow the same mechanics and timing as teching? Does the timing vary on how far you're hitor by percent? Does mashing jump really work? I never actually saw a thread that goes into detail.

Vro

Smash Lord
iirc you can't meteor cancel with just a jump, you must perform an up b. there really shouldn't be any difficulty meteor canceling because there is no downside to pressing up b too early. if you just mash it, you'll be able to cancel within the allotted time. if you're hit while at high percentage, you might notice that you won't meteor cancel as well not because it's "harder" but because you're being sent down so fast that if you miss the meteor cancel, you die.

SHDW23

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure you can meteor cancel with a jump, i'm almost positive i've seen lvl 9 cps do it

Geist

Smash Master
No, you can definetly meteor cancel with a jump 0.o
I know with Jiggs/Kirby you can just hold up and you meteor cancel 99% of the time.

I know what meteor cancelling is, I just want some specifics.

Bets

Smash Journeyman
i've meteor cancled ganon's stomp at 90% with air dodge going up. not sure if you can just jump to meteor cancle though

Proverbs

Smash Lord
^You can meteor cancel with a jump, and it sounds like you just airdodged through his stomp and didn't meteor cancel it...

Blowtoes:

Does it follow the same mechanics and timing as teching?

No. It's dependent on what you're meteor-canceling. Ganon's stomp requires a longer wait than Falcon's before you can jump or up+B.

Does the timing vary on how far you're hitor by percent?

Not completely sure, but I don't think so on either one. I think Vro was right in saying that it's just a matter that you're sent away faster, not that the timing changes. Also, unless I'm incorrect, you don't get hit ANY distance before you can meteor cancel. I believe it's immediately after the hitlag that you can cancel.

Does mashing jump really work?

Yes and no. You can just mash jump or up+B, but you won't do either as soon as you can. It's like after you l-cancel, mashing a will make you jab soon after you can, but not immediately when you can. The only difference is that in the meanwhile (the frames in which you miss that opportunity) you're traveling downwards, making you go further from the edge, or perhaps just get KO'd if you don't do it fast enough.

Don't have frame data, but this is just from my experience with it, and what I've learned from other players. I'm 90% sure this is correct. Hope this helps.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
No, you can definetly meteor cancel with a jump 0.o
I know with Jiggs/Kirby you can just hold up and you meteor cancel 99% of the time.

I know what meteor cancelling is, I just want some specifics.
I learned Meteor Cancelling on the fly in some friendlies the other day, and I have no problem with it now.

When you get hit, put your control stick into Neutral. If you don't, you can't meteor cancel with upB (ie. it'll be the same as if you were mashing jump). When you think you're at about the right distance, hit up B and you should meteor cancel (or jump, depending on your situation).

Just remember that the timing for meteor cancelling is a lot later than you think it would be. Once you get the hang of it it becomes really easy, though.

If you have someone to practice with you should go fox vs. falcon or ganon. Falcon is recommended because his dair isn't as beastly as ganon's. Go on Final Destination and jump off the stage and upB up towards the stage. Then, get your friend to hit you with Falcon's dair.

If you get hit at around the ledge height, press upB when you're around the bottom of FD and you should meteor cancel. After doing it a few times, it should become natural.

Geist

Smash Master
yeah I always love screwing around like that. It's fun to see how high of a percent you can get to.
lol I remember a long time ago I wanted to practice meteor cancelling and my brother played as Marth, and I was getting so pissed off because I couldn't meteor cancel it xD

But I'm pretty the window gets smaller the higher your percentage is. There aren't many cases when I get meteor smashed too fast to react at all before I get hit to the bottom. I have a preeeetty fast reaction time.

EDIT: another question about this
Wouldn't meteor cancelling with UpB just be meteor cancelling by jumping and then upBing? I would test doing it without my second jump myself, but I can't any time soon.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
EDIT: another question about this
Wouldn't meteor cancelling with UpB just be meteor cancelling by jumping and then upBing? I would test doing it without my second jump myself, but I can't any time soon.
Nope.

Meteor cancelling doesn't give you back a jump so you're just doing it with upB and upB alone.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Question:
Has anyone else taken 4 roys onto FD and counter chained a full charge neutral B?
(IE 1 Roy charges up the neutral b and when it explodes have Roy 2 counter it and then have Roy 3 Counter that and then Roy 4 counter that. The hit that 4 counters onto 3 is beyond epic when you pull it off.)

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Question:
Has anyone else taken 4 roys onto FD and counter chained a full charge neutral B?
(IE 1 Roy charges up the neutral b and when it explodes have Roy 2 counter it and then have Roy 3 Counter that and then Roy 4 counter that. The hit that 4 counters onto 3 is beyond epic when you pull it off.)
How would that work? Doesn't Roy just turn in the direction of the person who hit him?

Corigames

Smash Hero
1, 2, and 3 are real easy.

1 looks at 2 and 3 stands right behind 1. 1 does the attack and hits 2. 2 counters and hits forward hitting 1 (Killing him obviously) and then hitting 3's counter. At this point, you have to have 4 Jump in from behind 2 and "catch" 3's counter. 3's counter will hit 4 and continue on to hit 2 (kill for sure). 4's counter will then hit 3 and send him to last week.
> = view
x = attack
v = counter

3>1><2<4

1 does the attack
3 1x 2 4

2 counters
3 1xv2 4

1 dies and then 3 counters
3vx2 4

2 dies and 4 jumps in to counter
3xv4

3 dies and leaves 4

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
You think you could "Three Roy Monte" with the remaining counters?
Like, with "3vx2 4", does 2 really have to die?

Or then, could you keep it going with respawning Roys?

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
You're using a fully charged neutral B. And then that gets amplified in power by the counter. There's no way you won't die from that.

The point is Roy's counter does 1.5x the damage of the attack that hits the counter. So you take the neutral B, and multiply it by 1.5^3.

Corigames

Smash Hero
You think you could "Three Roy Monte" with the remaining counters?
Like, with "3vx2 4", does 2 really have to die?

Or then, could you keep it going with respawning Roys?
The problem that comes with continuing it, aside from death, is the cool-down from the counter. It's not too bad, but you definitely see it when you try to time that. The only thing I can think of to do even more damage is if you killed off the Roys 2, 3, and 4 while 1 was charging up and had 2 land and counter while still invincible and hit 3 while he's still invincible into 4 likewise back into 2 who would now be vincible and so on.

It might be possible and, if I could find 3 other people, I will definitely give that a try because then it would go: 1>2>3>4>2>3>4

Now, I'm fairly certain Roy's full charge does 30% So that's: 30 x 1.5 x 1.5 x 1.5 x 1.5 x 1.5 x 1.5 = 270

So that means the last counter hits with 270% and however much the knockback would be multiplied.

And, hypothetically, 1 would have died much earlier and might be back in time for another counter. This would multiply by the previous number, 270, one more iteration to bring it to 405. If you can chain it with respawning Roys from there, kudos to you. Maybe it's possible to hit with an attack so strong that it breaks the game.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Question:
I'm aware of how to meteor cancel, but I want to have a more in-depth description about it frame-wise, so I know how to be more consistant.
Does it follow the same mechanics and timing as teching? Does the timing vary on how far you're hitor by percent? Does mashing jump really work? I never actually saw a thread that goes into detail.
Here you go:
Starting at 9 frames after you start flying downwards from a Meteor, you can use an aerial jump or your Up+B move to cancel the send and recover. This is in contrast to spikes which cannot be jumped out of.

If you have no aerial jumps left and Up+B to recover normally or to "Meteor Cancel," be aware that there's an internal cooldown when you cannot Up+B again for 30 frames if you are hit by a Meteor after inputting Up+B, which prevents repeated Meteor Cancels. Also, if you mistime an Up+B Meteor Cancel by doing it too early, you also can't input Up+B again for 30 frames (unless the Meteor's stun somehow ends before that) By this time, you're usually dead.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
i'm pretty sure doing it with the c-stick isn't faster.
The only reason why it's faster is because you can buffer it.

So like... if you're Marth.

You go attack with a fair, but your opponent shields. When you L-cancel you just hold L and cstick down and you'll spotdodge on the first frame possible.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Is there a list of grab ranges in order of largest to smallest?
http://m2k.galaxy64.com/ssbm.html said:
Grabbing Range (relative approximations)

1) Samus
2) Link
3) Young Link
4) Marth
5) Roy
6) Yoshi
7) Kirby
8) Sheik
9) Zelda
10) Falco
11) Jigglypuff
12) Mewtwo
13) Peach
14) Fox
15) Luigi
16) DK
17) Ice Climbers
18) Mr. Game & Watch
19) Ganondorf
20) Captain Falcon
21-22) Dr. Mario / Mario
23) Bowser
24) Pichu
25) Ness
26) Pikachu
From M2k's website, url is in the quote.

Top Bottom