• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
yeah dude, jump cancel shine out of shield and then if your shine didnt hit them you can do whatever you want from the shine. wavedash any way or start pillaring or what have you

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
so your saying instead of shield grabing, i shield shine instead?
1. Shield
2. Press up on the c-stick
3. Immediately shine
4. ????
5. Profit!

But seriously, even if you miss the shine (ie. you don't cancel it when you're on the ground, but you jump a bit), it's okay since you're Falco, and Falco LOVES jumping after hitting people with shine anyways.

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
do stuff win
O hai Mango.

1. Shield
2. Press up on the c-stick
3. Immediately shine
4. ????
5. Profit!

But seriously, even if you miss the shine (ie. you don't cancel it when you're on the ground, but you jump a bit), it's okay since you're Falco, and Falco LOVES jumping after hitting people with shine anyways.
You can JC Shine OoS with Up on the C-stick? O_O
I did not know this.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
The beautiful thing is that when you push up with the c-stick your right thumb is pretty much on top of the B button already.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
You can JC Shine OoS with Up on the C-stick? O_O
I did not know this.
Yeah, in shield up on the c-stick makes you jump. I figured JC Shine out of shield would work with the c-stick in the same way as it would with up/x/y.

Also, this doesn't really require another thread to ask this, so I'll just come here for general advice: I've started to notice that I don't really -think- when I play. I play pretty decently and occasionally surprise some of the better players when I play, but my major issue is that I don't really think. Arc tells me I should be doing more things to try to trick my opponent and goes on and describes something ridiculous complicated to do that (Remember, it's Arc. He does crazy things like figuring out people's tech patterns and stuff o_O;; ). Am I the only one that just doesn't do that sort of thing? So I'm sort of wondering where I can start with 'thinking' when I play. Because I don't keep in mind what I should be doing in a matchup or whatever. Certain things I know, like I know that I'll have an easier time comboing Marth at 0% than Fox, but I mean the more specific things. Like, I don't keep in mind that I should be sticking to grabs against spacies and what I can do to get that grab and things like that. I tend to just sort of...play.

Any suggestions for what I can do to start changing this? I'm just sort of at a loss for where to start. I know I'm a good player, but I'm seriously inhibited by the fact that I just sort of mess around and take advantage of combos when I get them and know how edgeguard. It's really what's keeping me from getting to the next level in my playstyle. Arc tells me I'm still in 'combo video mode.' Can anyone relate and tell me what they did to get past this?

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
Yeah, in shield up on the c-stick makes you jump. I figured JC Shine out of shield would work with the c-stick in the same way as it would with up/x/y.
...WOW. I feel so stupid! LMFAO.

I forgot about that... same thing you can use to buffer a jump/roll/spotdodge.

Wow. -_-

Brbpracticetiem.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
You're talking about playing as Marth, right?
Anyone, but the only characters I play seriously right now are Marth and Falcon. I think the only reason I can hold my own in matches against people who -do- think, is just because I play so erratically. Like, I just do really weird things. Like sometimes I edgeguard with Marth's forward air from the edge...in the wrong direction (and it works). Or like, with Falcon I was playing against ArcNatural and I stomped him, but he teched it (I guess he was in the middle of jumping), but I ledgecanceled the stomp and just restomped him right after the tech to a knee (or maybe I missed the knee). But I do really random things like that. And that's great and all, if I can start doing more of those things with purpose and on purpose.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
^I literally do them ALL the time. It's ridiculous. I'd say that like 30% of the mistakes I make end up being ridiculously epic. Twice I've meant to wavedash, grab the edge, and then do ledgehop down-air with Marth and instead I've just fast-falled and DJ down-aired as they tried to recover--for the end of the match, both times. It sounds kinda simple, but you have to understand, it happens in like half a second and since both times it happened on Pokemon Stadium, you couldn't even see what happened and both times the people I played against just looked at me like "What the heck just happened?" It's pretty amazing.

Oh, and that reverse f-tilt to edgeguard was against Scar XD But he made it back anyway ;(

metashinryu

Smash Ace

Also, this doesn't really require another thread to ask this, so I'll just come here for general advice: I've started to notice that I don't really -think- when I play. I play pretty decently and occasionally surprise some of the better players when I play, but my major issue is that I don't really think. Arc tells me I should be doing more things to try to trick my opponent and goes on and describes something ridiculous complicated to do that (Remember, it's Arc. He does crazy things like figuring out people's tech patterns and stuff o_O;; ). Am I the only one that just doesn't do that sort of thing? So I'm sort of wondering where I can start with 'thinking' when I play. Because I don't keep in mind what I should be doing in a matchup or whatever. Certain things I know, like I know that I'll have an easier time comboing Marth at 0% than Fox, but I mean the more specific things. Like, I don't keep in mind that I should be sticking to grabs against spacies and what I can do to get that grab and things like that. I tend to just sort of...play.

Any suggestions for what I can do to start changing this? I'm just sort of at a loss for where to start. I know I'm a good player, but I'm seriously inhibited by the fact that I just sort of mess around and take advantage of combos when I get them and know how edgeguard. It's really what's keeping me from getting to the next level in my playstyle. Arc tells me I'm still in 'combo video mode.' Can anyone relate and tell me what they did to get past this?
yeah, that happens to me sometimes,but is fine since my playstyle is more of a speed demon than a mindgame master,but i do think stuff between combos before doing an action now that im playing people better than me, maybe thats what you need bro

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
In order to outthink your opponent, you need to know what he is thinking. So observe your opponent.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
I get that, it's just that I often don't know what to look for, y'know?
Well you could first start by finding patterns. The easiest is how they tech (away, in place, or towards). Then you could work on how they approach. Do they overshoot their attacks/grabs in an attempt to catch you if you dash dance away? etc. etc.

Also, if you know if their playstyle is aggressive or passive, it also helps.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Yeah...I can probably do this a little easier on people who aren't Arc. I'll try this out more when I go back for summer break.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Teeman, there is nothing more we can tell you. Practice the ATs, get more fluidity and watch videos to learn the game.

You've been playing for two years you have no more johns available to you, you've exhausted your supply.

We've given you so much advice for the past two years, the only thing left to do is hire someone that actually has tried to get better at the game to hold the controller for you.

You practice ATs for one or two days, then get ***** as you implement them, then you say they don't work and stop trying to do it.. then you do it all over again.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
so i did what you guy recommended me. results:.....*****...i havent won a game, even against a mario

im noticing i can combo anyone in the air, withot someone instanly Nair, and knocking me back. he does this almost like the computer.
Space better. Switch it up. Instead of pillaring with dair shine / nair shine, do things like dair shine jc grab, or dair double shine.

If you're being too aggressive, play passive. Shoot some lasers and let them come to you and make mistakes.

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
Experience makes everything better. It will solve your problem Proverbs, and yours teeman. Teeman you can't just try out what we say once or twice and get wrecked for it and proclaim it doesn't work. You need to know how to best apply everything. Stop johning when we try to help you.

teeman92

Smash Lord
Pensacola, FL. That place that Tristen de Luna fou
Experience makes everything better. It will solve your problem Proverbs, and yours teeman. Teeman you can't just try out what we say once or twice and get wrecked for it and proclaim it doesn't work. You need to know how to best apply everything. Stop johning when we try to help you.

i guess i havent got a choice but to find someone else to play ....

sigh

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
And don't make finding someone to play out to be THAT difficult. Sometimes you have to make arrangements, but you can ALWAYS find someone to play.

metashinryu

Smash Ace
i guess i havent got a choice but to find someone else to play ....

sigh
play someone that is at the same level as you(or you think is even with you)or someone better than you,you shouldnt play people who dont use AT since they mess up your gaming and you cant keep up with them and you actually feel you are playing slower/worse

try finding someone better than you,it helps you improve because it forces you to play at their pace and think before acting

in my personal experience i get craploads better when i play people above my level since i try to keep up with them and fasten/speed-up(sorry but i dont know how to spell that) my game

Corigames

Smash Hero
I'm not 100% on either of these but...
Does light shielding have more shield hit stun
I believe it is the same, but you get knocked much farther away in the light shield. So, getting hit by a strong move in a light shield will send you flying away so you might as well be in shield stun if you are trying to counter attack out of the shield since you will have to get back in suitable range to do anything.
And can you tech with Z?
I would say no since the Z button has a different utility in the air for every character. Z acts as a pseudo A button, not R or L. On the ground you do a grab and THEN it goes to shield, but it still does the grab first. I don't think, in the mechanics of what the button does, that you can replicate what the triggers do with Z.

Oracle

Smash Master
Yeah you can tech with it. Z is a dumb macro anyways for a and R (pressed down halfway), which is why you accidentally light shield some times

Top Bottom