• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

Kaos099

Smash Rookie
I main falco, I originally planned to main fox since i used fox in ssb64. But falco's shine and D-air spike suit my playing style more. Also, his laser is awesome and it's much easier to SH with falco.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
I main falco, I originally planned to main fox since i used fox in ssb64. But falco's shine and D-air spike suit my playing style more. Also, his laser is awesome and it's much easier to SH with falco.
Well, if you haven't gone there already, I suggest going to the Falco specific boards:
http://www.smashboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=111

The stickies they have are quite helpful, and they also have a Q&A thread for questions solely about Falco (since this is just a general Q&A).

If you need them, that is.

Kaos099

Smash Rookie
Yeah that's the first thing I did once i found this site. Thanks anyway though XD. I personally really like mogwai's guide ( The laser part ) helped me a lot with laser useage.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
I'm new to Melee, but is it correct that crouching gives you Super Armour? However, when I watch Melee vids, people don't seem to use this feature much; what kind of situations is it really used for?

Dai-A

Smash Journeyman
I'm new to Melee, but is it correct that crouching gives you Super Armour? However, when I watch Melee vids, people don't seem to use this feature much; what kind of situations is it really used for?
its not really like super armor. like just the knockback gets reduced, and like when someone tries to hit you up while your crouching. youll just automatically be laying back on the floor. If someone can clear this up for me then please. cause i cant make it sound right lol

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
It's called crouch cancelling. What happens is that when you are hit while crouching, knocking is reduced from that hit. That's really all there is to it.

teeman. no.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
i wish i saw this when i started asking about scar jumping(i know how now) a few things, 1. can you only CC when you couch 2. does the boost grab only work good as a few people like fox and sheik or what, is it any good for the ice climber(boost grab with 0% death grab game) or pichu or better is there a list of something that shows the diffrentace?

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
I've never heard of anyone boost grabbing with Fox (you aren't the first person to bring this up) because he doesn't really gain momentum or speed as he dash attacks. I highly doubt it is any good for the characters you mentioned, a JC grab is probably better (less punishable)

Geist

Smash Master
what's this survival DI people mention?
Survival DI is simply DI that allows you to survive at higher percentages than usual.
To do it, all you have to do is angle the control stick (or the c-stick) in the direction depending on what direction you were hit.

Basically, for horizontal hits, like Captain Falcon's knee, you want to maximize your vertical distance travelled while cancelling out some of the momentum from the hit. To DI properly in the case of a horizontal hit, you would most commonly DI up and towards your opponent. For vertical hits, like fox's upsmash, you would DI left or right.

Basically, the way I think of it, is you want to minimize distance travelled by influencing your angles, the same way a 45 degree angled line with the same length as a line at zero degrees will have less horizontal distance.

EDIT: Cstick gives you ASDI, and can influence trajectory better than simply holding down a direction. The c-stick overrides the control stick though, so if you're holding the same direction with both sticks, it only counts the c-stick.

EDIT 2: boost grab is only marginally good with sheik.

Geist

Smash Master
can you only CC when you couch
I remember seeing a great post by the great magus explaining exactly why Crouch cancelling works.
I don't remember it well, but this is basically what I remember.

Apparently, CC gives the same effect as DIing down, which in that case, you can kind of achieve a CC by c-sticking down without crouching.
However, the main reason why you cannot do just that, is that crouching negates some hitstun as well.
So CCing is effectively 2 different things working together, while using the c-stick can give similar effects.

EDIT: I found the quote
You Automatic-SDI by holding a direction on either the control stick or c-stick on the very last frame of hitlag, and it happens on the 1st frame of knockback and is combined with the movement from the hit... automatically, lol. If both sticks are being held the direction on the c-stick is used.

Think of Crouch Cancel as 2 words. Crouch + Cancel. Crouch is... crouching, as in the animation your character goes into when you hold down, and being in that state reduces the power of the knockback. Cancel is ASDIing down to instantly land instead of going upwards, and the landing animation cancels the stun.

You can Crouch needles/Fox's shines/Falco's lasers/spikes/meteors to get reduced launch speed and stun time, but they can't send you upwards until they knock you down and go into a tumble, so you can't Cancel them by instantly going into a regular landing by ASDIing down.

An opponent that is shieldbroken/in stun/missed a rest/in up-B lag/etc can't Crouch to get reduced launch power and stun time, but for hits that have a trajectory above horizontal they can still Cancel using downward ASDI to cause an instant landing on the 1st frame of knockback and the landing animation cancels the stun.
So no. You can't "CC" and not be crouching. I think.

thank you and has any one ever tested the diffrents? because it's to see the change for some people
I don't know if you can JC a boost grab. My initial assumption is no, because that would require you to JC your dash attack first. Obviously not happenning.

JC grabs will be faster overall than boost grabs, and from what I know, for any character besides sheik, boost grabbing is inferior to JC grabs. Sheik's is probably still inferior, just alot better than everyone elses. There's alot of risk for doing them anyways, if you mess up, odds are you mess up spacing as well as timing, and can get punished.

Jeez, I hope this is all right info...

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
Boost grabbing on Mario is superior, hearing the "wahoo" everytime you grab is hilarious.

But I've heard that Fox's boost grab is good, just not as good as JC. Oh yeah, when pivot grabbing does it matter if you JC it or not?

Smash Ace
1. can you only CC when you couch
Sort of. As the Magus quote explains, crouch canceling really has two effects:

1. Crouching reduces knockback.

2. ASDIing down prevents you from moving much.

You can get the second effect without crouching. In fact, if you get hit while you're trying to use down-b, down-tilt (I think) or down smash, you'll ASDI down.

Short answer: yes, but it will be less effective.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
thank you and the jump cancel grab is the same as the standing grab just you are running and whats the point of the boost grab if it have less range than a normal or JC grab? someone need to get all the info.

curse your name i have it stuck in my head

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
Well, for Sheik, you actually get a boost of acceleration from her dash attack animation, so it's a few frames faster, which is important when tech chasing.

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Could someone please explain, or give me a link that does this, how you pivot grab x_x;

Do you just run left, flick the controll stick right, return to neutral and grab?

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Could someone please explain, or give me a link that does this, how you pivot grab x_x;

Do you just run left, flick the controll stick right, return to neutral and grab?
AlphaZealot in his giant terms and stuff list that's stickied said:
Pivoting/DA DASH: Discovered by Phillybilly, a former member of New York’s Deadly Alliance, pivoting is a difficult technique to pull off at first. The easiest way to get a sense of the technique is to watch the dash dance of Marth or Sheik. You'll notice that there is a frame during the dash dance that the character seems to be standing upright. This is where the pivoting idea comes in. At that upright frame you may perform any move that you could otherwise perform from the standing position. This could actually be quicker than wavedashing backwards and into an attack with certain characters, where instead you dash back just a bit and pivot into an attack. To pull it off, dash one direction, then quickly tap the opposite direction and perform your attack. The attack has to be performed as your character is pivoting to change his direction.
Just do this and grab. Got it?

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Pivoting I believe is a game largely underused by the lower echelon of players trying to break into higher placings.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
For a good example of pivoting in a match,
If you watch SilentSpectre (a captain falcon player), he uses pivot forward smashes successfully quite a bit.

Not even just fsmashes, pivot tilts and jabs have their uses as well.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
^True. I haven't really worked on pivoting. People trying to climb to the top are more interested in learning moonwalking than they are pivoting (which I can't say I blame them for, but let's be honest, it's a lot less useful). But after playing Arc enough I've come to realize that it's important to learn it.

o_x;; Arc's too good.

EDIT:

For a good example of pivoting in a match,
If you watch SilentSpectre (a captain falcon player), he uses pivot forward smashes successfully quite a bit.

Not even just fsmashes, pivot tilts and jabs have their uses as well.
How would you pivot jab? o_O;; In the time when they're in a standing position, isn't that right when you go to dash in the other direction? And if so, how can you have the control stick neutral then? <.<;; That would require ridiculous timing at the least x_x;;

Geist

Smash Master
How would you pivot jab? o_O;; In the time when they're in a standing position, isn't that right when you go to dash in the other direction? And if so, how can you have the control stick neutral then? <.<;; That would require ridiculous timing at the least x_x;;
Yeah, all you really have to do is flick the stick and press A. It's a lot less complicated than it sounds. What really takes coordination is pivoted tilts, especially u tilt.

And Halcyon, I don't know if someone answered your question last page, but if you do a "true" pivot grab, you won't have to jc it, because pivoting puts you in standing position. You can still cheat and to a dash dance, and then JC it quickly. It looks about the same.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
^True. I haven't really worked on pivoting. People trying to climb to the top are more interested in learning moonwalking than they are pivoting (which I can't say I blame them for, but let's be honest, it's a lot less useful). But after playing Arc enough I've come to realize that it's important to learn it.

o_x;; Arc's too good.

EDIT:

lol. I learned moonwalking (and a lot of useless flashy stuff) before pivoting >_>

But yeah, it's essentially just flicking the stick and pressing A like blowtoes said, and it's actually really easy to do.

But is dash dance -> JC grab slower?

Geist

Smash Master
I believe Dash danced JC grabs are marginally slower than Pivot grabs, but I would imagine that it's so little of a difference it would only matter in really high level matches where death is a matter of frames.

lol I learned all the flashy stuff before anything useful. It makes it more intresting.

Actually I have a question too. In my previous post I quoted magus saying that ASDI begins on the first frame after hitstun automatically, but it's the exact same effect as hitting a direction on the first frame after hitstun manually with the control stick.
My question is, wouldn't that mean that quarter sticking might accidentally ASDI after you SDI, and make it harder to tech?
If someone could clear this up, that would be great.

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Thanks for the info, and I did watch those Silent Specter vids, I was just wondering if I got the excecution right, because I couldn't do it.

@KevinM: I agree, wich is why I asked :p.

Vsin

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure if this is the right question for this thread, but w/e worth a shot...

What's a good way to tell when you're ready for your first tourney? As in about the size of a college dorm, or maybe the neighbourhood. Assuming of course that everyone involved has tech skill.

Geist

Smash Master
You're always ready for your first tourney.
I attended mine when I could barely wavedash. The faster you start up in the tourney scene, the faster you can start to improve, assuming that you don't practice with them already.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if this is the right question for this thread, but w/e worth a shot...

What's a good way to tell when you're ready for your first tourney? As in about the size of a college dorm, or maybe the neighbourhood. Assuming of course that everyone involved has tech skill.
Corey had it right. You're always ready for your first tournament. I had a good deal of the technical side of things down in my first tournament, and I still did terribly. You just need to get used to dealing with high amounts of pressure. (JOHN ALERT) : In my first match I played against a person I -easily- could have taken out in a friendly. But for some reason the pressure of my first tournament match (and the fact that Sheik is ridiculously gay) made me slip up and lose to someone I really shouldn't have. Second match I got my head into the game and fourstocked the next kid on my first match in Marth ditto. Then switched to an unfamiliar character (at the time, I've gotten used to him now), Falcon, just for fun and still two stocked him.

So yeah, go for your first tournament. You're ready.

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
Don't be afraid of tourneys man just go! Get *****! its fun!...Ok not really, but it's a good learning experience.

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
I have a n00b question. I can't find an answer to it.

Why is Eagleland Fourside banned? I'm not against the ban, I'm just curious why.

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
I thought it might have been the short blast box on the right side, but I wasn't sure. Thanks for answering.

The Phenom

Smash Lord
Hi guys I have a question about sheilding.

If we DI the sheild when striken by a attack, is there a benifit for doing it? Maybe it can slow them down when power shielded correctly while DIing the shield. I don't know. Tell me if this can be useful because I don't want to be shield stunned or recieve a knockback from the impact because I need to grab them real bad!!!

My shield game/trcks and mind gaming with it is good so my shield will be conserved enough for it to be used plenty; it's just not so useful yet that's why I ask on of this method if possible, can it help in this manner.
---------
CLASS OF 2009!!!

Geist

Smash Master
Hi guys I have a question about sheilding.

If we DI the sheild when striken by a attack, is there a benifit for doing it? Maybe it can slow them down when power shielded correctly while DIing the shield. I don't know. Tell me if this can be useful because I don't want to be shield stunned or recieve a knockback from the impact because I need to grab them real bad!!!
DI during shield can stop some potential falco pillars, among other things, like throwing off people's spacing, etc. It's not as useful as most other DI though, and I don't think to many people use it very much.
As far as I know, you can only ASDI and SDI in your shield. It doesn't give an obvious effect like DIing in the air, it only moves you marginally.

Also, no one answered my question Q_Q

Proverbs, did you call me Corey? lol

Top Bottom