• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

Proverbs

Smash Lord
There's knockback melee in melee as well. Phanna has a vid somewhere.
It kinda depends on whether or not the knockback is generated depending on the percent they're at before or after being hit, since percent is decayed. Like, if Falcon's f-smash KO's someone at 70% (which brings them to 93%, and these are all guesses, by the way) with no DI, but doesn't with some decay, which say brings them to 85% instead, we're not sure if the knockback is due to the percentage afterward or beforehand.

It seems natural for it to be the percentage beforehand, but I'm not entirely sure, since there's no way we can really prove it as far as I know.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure that the amount of knockback you take is dependent on what your percent is before you get hit.

Either way, I believe Phanna's video was something like...

He was using Mario versus some other character that was standing on a platform on pokemon stadium.

He had his opponent @ 54% and would hit them with a nair (fresh) and it knocked them like halfway across.
He did it again, but this time after already hitting him like 5 times with the nair (so it had decayed) again @ 54% and they went like 2/3 of the distance.

Stratford

Smash Champion
Hey I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on an efficient way to practice powershielding. Running away from a cpu Falco and waiting for him to shoot you leaves a lot to be desired...

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
Hey I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on an efficient way to practice powershielding. Running away from a cpu Falco and waiting for him to shoot you leaves a lot to be desired...
I'd say the only other ways would be:
1. Have a friend shoot lasers at you
or
2. Press the B button with your other hand/toe/nose/idc.

^_^

Oh and also, this is pretty character specific, but people were talking about Sheik's "inescapable" tech chase on Falcon... would that be Dthrow -> Jab -> Regrab? Or just Dthrow -> Tech Chase -> Regrab?

Edit: Inescable reads: very hard to escape. lol.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
I'd say the only other ways would be:
1. Have a friend shoot lasers at you
or
2. Press the B button with your other hand/toe/nose/idc.

^_^

Oh and also, this is pretty character specific, but people were talking about Sheik's "inescapable" tech chase on Falcon... would that be Dthrow -> Jab -> Regrab? Or just Dthrow -> Tech Chase -> Regrab?

Edit: Inescable reads: very hard to escape. lol.
uh...if a falcon doesn't jump out of a jab juggle he sucks. he can even nair as he jumps out of it to kick a sheik in the noggin. i do think sheik can chain throw if she techchases perfectly though, and there are more than just a few frames for the window so it's more than just possible.

and to practice powershielding...maybe go to princess peach's castle or another stage with walls, and throw green shells at it? or something that would bounce off. just an idea.

Stratford

Smash Champion
Haha I tried pressing B with my toe a bit and apparently my foot doesn't have much tech skill. Level 9 Falco's are fairly cooperative in shooting you though...

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
tactic 2, for powershielding as a spacie:
plug the 2nd controller in with the joystick held up
let go and press b
hold that ****er down with a wrench or something heavy
SHL and powershield it as it returns.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
let go and press b
Wow... that's actually a pretty smart idea.

Okay, I have a question about power shielding. How exactly does it work? I heard that when the projectile (ie. a laser) is within your shield area and you shield, you'll power shield.

My question is that when you press L, there's a split second where you lightshield before your normal shield comes out. So... I guess it's more of a question of how exactly PSing works.

Pi

Smash Hero
Wow... that's actually a pretty smart idea.

Okay, I have a question about power shielding. How exactly does it work? I heard that when the projectile (ie. a laser) is within your shield area and you shield, you'll power shield.

My question is that when you press L, there's a split second where you lightshield before your normal shield comes out. So... I guess it's more of a question of how exactly PSing works.
that sounds right
I heard it's x frames before you'd actually get hit but I suspect the game wouldn't know you're actually gonna get hit, so the area thing sounds right, especially since you can duck with kirby/jiggly and have lasers go over you and power shield them when they are right above you by pressing shield.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
power shielding just happens when you shield and something foreign is within your shield range but not hitting you yet.

E.G. WHY I'VE NEVER SEEN A GAW POWERSHIELD!

but srsly...i have no idea about the powershielding before shielding. i would assume that if that light shield thing is true, then you can still powershield in a light shield, or that the light shield deflects it INTO the normal shield a frame later so that it still gets powershielded anyway.
either way, it doesn't seem to come into play when talking about utility of powershielding, even if it is a part of the technical process.

MexicanBJ

Smash Journeyman
yea g&w's has lose shield lol

i think it's just really small and doesn't cover his body

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
let go and press b
Why... did I never think of this? lmfao! You're a genius. ^_^ brb practice.

Alukard

Smash Hero
From what I know, Peach, Fox, Sheik, and Jiggs do best in FFAs.

Marth is good too, but his range can result in a lot of friendly fire. Falco can be good, but his approach is gimped because lasers aren't guaranteed safe and can screw up your opponent, unlike fox's lasers, and his recovery isn't that good. Falcon is ok, but can't concentrate too much on combos, and his recovery sucks. A plus is that Falcon punch hits a lot more.

Alukard beasts in FFA's with Samus. But he just beasts in general with Samus.
samus is amazing at ffa ... and i do own with her in them ... she is amazing at defense ... and when she gets hit ... she takes forever to come down so theyfight some more without u and do half the work themsleves LOL

metashinryu

Smash Ace
QUESTIONS:

1)to powershield properly,you need to press r or l all the way down rite? but you need to press the button to the point it clicks?

2)how can i change my title,under my name speciffically.

3)i cant seem to get the IC glitch very often,you need to press side B as nana grabs or what?

Vro

Smash Lord
I don't believe you need to hold the shield down to the point where it clicks, but I may be wrong.

Smash Apprentice is your current title due to how many posts you have. If you want a colored name or title, it really depends on which part of Smashboards you're a part of. Click on somebody's name and find the group they're in, and if you use some common sense and follow a few links, I'm sure you'll figure out.

The IC glitch requires Nana to grab and then Popo to do side b without them breaking out.

Pi

Smash Hero
Yea you gotta mash the shield button for power shielding because light shields aren't strong enough to reflect projectiles!
But really, you do have to press it all the way down.

Question, do you have to press it all the way down for techs?

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Yes, you have to press all the way for techs. You don't have to press all the way for l-canceling though.

Jartravious

Smash Journeyman
would people recommend to use one trigger for shielding and the other for l-canceling/techs or some other division like that? it seems really hard to try to l-cancel and shield with one trigger

Proverbs

Smash Lord
This is how I do it:

I wavedash and l-cancel with L and shield and tech with R.

I think it's a good setup.

Pi

Smash Hero
would people recommend to use one trigger for shielding and the other for l-canceling/techs or some other division like that? it seems really hard to try to l-cancel and shield with one trigger
You can L cancel with L/R/Z take your pick
The only thing I would recommend to you is to shield & wavedash with different triggers so you can wavedash right out of shield
personally I re-learned to shield with L, which I also L cancel with, so I could wavedash w/ R & X

Proverbs

Smash Lord
So I did some testing that complicated this a little, to test the idea of knockback being dependent on your percentage after being hit. I did Phanna's same method. I took two Mario's to pokemon stadium to test the knockback of his f-smash. Interestingly enough this is what I found: Despite the reduced knockback when you start them both at the same percentage, if you have them end at the same percent, they seem to go the same distance. Almost, if not exactly.

I did an f-smash at 0 percent fresh, which brought him to 24%. Then I did an f-smash stale at 10% which brought him to 24%. Both took him the same distance. I made sure that the both Marios were in the same place both times by using the reset button in training mode to put him back on that platform, and (making sure not to touch the other Mario), got on the platform and rolled backward to make sure I was at the edge.

Just some food for thought, doesn't necessarily mean that knockback decay doesn't technically exist.

I'll get a video up if anyone's interested.

Top Bottom