• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

soap

Smash Hero
This is how I do it:

I wavedash and l-cancel with L and shield and tech with R.

I think it's a good setup.
I always felt like there was less confusion and better reaction time when using one trigger.

same with jump buttons.

less options = quicker information retrieval.

that idea can be applied to your gameplay as well. U want enough options not to be super predictable, but u want only the most effective ones to keep it simple and practical

Binx

Smash Master
I remembered it being knockback after damage too, I don't think there is knockback decay in a traditional sense, although brawl might be the exact same and we just notice it more than before because of the physics changes.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
I always felt like there was less confusion and better reaction time when using one trigger.

same with jump buttons.

less options = quicker information retrieval.

that idea can be applied to your gameplay as well. U want enough options not to be super predictable, but u want only the most effective ones to keep it simple and practical
However, using different buttons for the same thing can make life easier.

Like when I play Falco...

Pillar with Y
Wavedash/shine with X
Midair shine with control stick

I never mix them up and it makes things pretty fluid for me.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
i also use control stick for midair shine.

eh, i guess it depends.

2 triggers always felt weird though
Using R only or L only feels crazy weird to me lol

Iunno, I think it would be awkward holding R to shield, and then pressing it again to airdodge for a wavedash oos.

Jartravious

Smash Journeyman
i'm trying to basically have it set up like this

jump/short hop = Y
wavedash =Y/L

and then shielding/teching with l or r but im already use'd to L so should i just learn to l-cancle with "r"?
im kinda questioning it cause using two triggers is messing up my jump cancle grabs because i'd have one finger on y one on z and the other on l

Pi

Smash Hero
Anything is possible, just pick one and practice it
It's just finger motions, and it's not like these things are dead precise so there probably isn't going to be greatly more efficient one

Binx

Smash Master
I don't use R at all, it isn't that hard to shield, wavedash out of shield, or anything using only 1 button, just do what feels natural for you.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
yeah if you get like bad habits from it.

it'd be like playing a computer all the time. you just learn their bad habits and then when you play someone good you get wrecked.

Luigi Ka-master

Smash Lord
Why hasn't this been stickied yet?

Also;

Can playing bad players often have a negative effect?
I don't think so.

But then again, if you want to get technical, playing anyone can have a negative effect. Improving doesn't so much depend on the person you're playing, but rather how you yourself play.

Granted, if you're playing a person much better than you it will be easy to see any problems you have and improve off that. But you can always still gain a lot of knowledge and skill through playing people who aren't your level, so long as you're smart and aware of what's going on.

it'd be like playing a computer all the time. you just learn their bad habits and then when you play someone good you get wrecked.
Lol, now that's a classic example of NOT being smart while you play.

Vro

Smash Lord
Can playing bad players often have a negative effect?
There should be three types of players you consistently play: someone worse than you, someone at your level, and someone better than you. Though it might sound obvious, each player does something completely different to better your game. You should be stomping the person worse than you, ensuring you have fast enough tech skill and enough reading capability to punish them accordingly. The person better than you should be most helpful in improving the areas you're weak in; he will force you to step up your game. Lastly, your peer should drive you to continue to grow because no longer is winning or losing one sided, it's all up to you.

Optimally, you should play with all three types of players and with a wide variety of people. The only time any sort of playing/practicing can have a negative effect is when you let it. Keep in mind of your goals for personal growth when playing, and you'll improve any aspect you want to.

Pi

Smash Hero
I think I'm mostly worried about developing bad habits.
I spose I could just learn to adjust quicker, which is most likely a necessity for competitive level play any way.

Geist

Smash Master
Taking breaks between practice can help you kill habits that make you predictable. If you're teching or rolling the same way all the time, then just don't play for a while. Not too much so you get rusty though. A week tops.
Playing for an extended period straight can be more negative to your game than playing with bad players.
Of course, it has much more negative effects with bad players because they don't punish you for your habits. With better players you don't have to worry as much

Spife

Smash Master
Well you also don't want to only play the same person. Ideally you'll adapt to beat them (as you should in any match with anyone) but if the strats to beat them become habits, then you have a problem. As (obviously) those strats wont work on everyone.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
The first post of this should be changed, or the title should anyways.

The first post should have like 4-5 of the most asked questions so that when new players enter the thread they can check it really quickly to see if it's been answered already. Otherwise, just make this the "offical qna thread".

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
There should be three types of players you consistently play: someone worse than you, someone at your level, and someone better than you. Though it might sound obvious, each player does something completely different to better your game. You should be stomping the person worse than you, ensuring you have fast enough tech skill and enough reading capability to punish them accordingly. The person better than you should be most helpful in improving the areas you're weak in; he will force you to step up your game. Lastly, your peer should drive you to continue to grow because no longer is winning or losing one sided, it's all up to you.

Optimally, you should play with all three types of players and with a wide variety of people. The only time any sort of playing/practicing can have a negative effect is when you let it. Keep in mind of your goals for personal growth when playing, and you'll improve any aspect you want to.
PLAGIARISM!

Don't do it, kids.

:thumbs up:

Eaode

Smash Champion
Again though, it all comes down to preference. Personally, I never used L for anything, and still don't. I can do everything just fine, including WD out of Shield. I suppose it'd be easier to learn everything with both triggers but once you can do it, relearning it is pointless.

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
DBR never told us what the name of their **** songs were and it was so annoying.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
I hope this question's on topic.

What's the name of the song featured in The King's 2006 DBR Evolution combo video?

DBR Evolution - The King
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01fwPZAVEbA

Me likey. :)
it's too bad that Evolution didn't have credits.
and it's too bad those credits didn't say King's music was "Basic Instinct feat. Delete - Shake It Up."
and it's too bad that if the credits existed, the video wouldn't be on youtube on the same playlists and uploaded by the same user as the video you linked.

yep.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
Guys...what'd i miss in the OP
Some people won't know what "frames" are so just put a side note that 60 frames = 1 second. That way for teching they know they have to press L 1/3 of a second before hitting the ground.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can only buffer rolls out of shields. You can't buffer attacks or jumps.

You should also put there's a special timing for l-cancelling when you hit more than one target (ice climbers, shy guys in YS, teams, etc).

Lastly, I didn't really read thoroughly the entire post (I'm at work lol) but for CC you should also put it cancels your dash, meaning you can do a full out run to an fsmash.

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
Ah yeah, i should clarify what a frame is.

Uh yeah you are right about the shield thing, I thought i read you could but jk, I have exhaustion johns.

l cancelling for more than one target, thanks. i knew that but forgot it XD

and cc cancels dash, simple but necessary

thanks

Eaode

Smash Champion
instead of talking about like 4 different L-Cancel timings, which I'm sure will confuse the **** out of some new players, just mention that the timing can be altered if you hit things (hitlag) and just just learn to adjust

Cero

Smash Lord
it's too bad that Evolution didn't have credits.
and it's too bad those credits didn't say King's music was "Basic Instinct feat. Delete - Shake It Up."
and it's too bad that if the credits existed, the video wouldn't be on youtube on the same playlists and uploaded by the same user as the video you linked.

yep.
Thanks brah. :)

But, I'm not sure I follow you when you're saying that the video wouldn't be on YouTube if there were credits... I thought that if the music featured in the video had a copyright, the most YouTube could do is mute it.

And, I also searched up the song on YouTube and there were a bunch of vids of the official music video. So, the song probably isn't copyrighted.

Although, the King's version sounds different than those videos for some reason... I'm guessing Hella made his own version or something. The King's version sounds so nice. :bee:

EDIT: I'm an idiot. After going over your quote again and understanding it better, I finally found out what you were talking about.

DBR Evolution - Credits
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbUokV3e1ds&feature=channel_page

... Please excuse my stupidity. Sarcasm's hard to get over the internet. :ohwell:

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
Thanks brah. :)
... Please excuse my stupidity. Sarcasm's hard to get over the internet. :ohwell:
haha, no worries. glad i could help ^.^

I'm trying to get a decent feel in Melee so I'm wondering who is the most easiest character to use in Melee? Thanks in advance.
start off using marth, man. play fox to get used to the technical clockwork, and play falcon to try to stay innovative and have fun. although sheik is "easy" it will be boring if you choose her first. after you're comfortable with the game's physics and playstyle, just play all the characters that you think look cool through one-player mode and whichever are the most fun, stick with! :D
hopefully you and i will both be at the next norman smashfest, and i hope i can help you out a little.

Vro

Smash Lord
I'm trying to get a decent feel in Melee so I'm wondering who is the most easiest character to use in Melee?
The short answer is Sheik. Ask a better question to get a better answer. Hazygoose's stuff sums up the most general of the general if you just wanted to hear that...

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
I have nobody to play with all iv got is those cpu's.
Go to the regional forums and try and find some people around you.

If you don't live in a densely populated area for smash, this may give you trouble.

But if you're going to play against CPUs, I like to mix up their levels everytime I play (from 1 - 7) because they DI differently (stay away from level 9s because they DI towards you).

About the first post again...

Edit the part about "Who should I main" and tell people to stay away from looking at the tier list. Yes, some characters are better than others, but they should play with who they want to/ feel the most comfortable with.

Top Bottom