• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gantrain05

Smash Master
Ok, that's good but there's a lot more things you can do with the FLUDD than that. It's situational, but all its situational uses are usually lethal. Trust me, I've dropped some jaws with how I use the FLUDD against G&W.
oh yes i know, but i don't really pay attention to fludd too much, i like a more up close and personal playstyle with mario, lots of grabs>Utilts>Usmash>Uair, and get them off the stage and cape gimp them. i know the fludd is good in situations i just never think about it.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
oh yes i know, but i don't really pay attention to fludd too much, i like a more up close and personal playstyle with mario, lots of grabs>Utilts>Usmash>Uair, and get them off the stage and cape gimp them. i know the fludd is good in situations i just never think about it.
Same with me, the only time you'll see me really abusing it is against G&W. I perfer being agressive, FLUDD is too defensive for me most of the time. If you know how and when to use it though, it's godly.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Sonic's options mean certain death a lot of times too, because his edgeguarding is done further off the stage.

And spring gimping is extemely effective when set up properly. HA isn't that stellar though.

But yeah, I need to fight some good Marios to see just how effective cape/fludd edgeguarding is.
Gimping Sonic with Mario is difficult seeing as the cape gives him 2 springs and Fludd doesn't do much unless he's in the tumbling animation after spring. When trying to gimp him, you're reduced to primarily using close ranged attacks like reverse Uairs and Bairs to try and score your kills. Sonic is just in that small handful of Hard-to-Gimp characters with G&W and MK for Mario.

Mario has defensive options against Sonic's edgeguarding as well, however, because fireballs hinder HA and Fair before they hit, upB goes through spring, and upB stage spikes when you don't aim your Bair stage spike effectively.

Forgive my general ignorance about Mario's fludd, but who exactly is it useful against?

I'm not saying it isn't, I'm just saying I'm not familiar with how effective it is.
If you're looking for a list, alone Fludd gimps: CF, Ganon, Falco, Fox, Ness, Link and all characters that can't sweetspot instantly from upB (Wario, Ike, Kirby). This is a tiny group compared to the cast, but that's because Fludd is never used alone, it's always used in conjunction with another attack because all it does is push and slow momentum. It's not one of those attacks with a clear-cut purpose either, it just adds to Mario's versatility. Fludd, for example, cancels out Luigi's and Pika's SideB and actually reduces his motion completely, rendering these attacks uneffective. Fludd also pushes Snake's grenades back to him when thrown without causing them to detonate, and kills loose Pikmin that aren't following Olimar (like after a Smash) if they're not blue. It can help recovery to an extent as well.

As far as gimping, everyone. It kills momentum and can setup capes and aerials. FLUDD directly gimps recoveries like Ike's ather. FLUDD also has a few situational instant kills but it's very situational in those cases. As far is directly effective against a character, it's effective more against floaty people who rely heavly on their aerials to approach. FLUDD ***** G&W cause it traps G&W inside his own hitstun for all of his atks which makes G&W very vunerable to Mario in almost every senario.

I used to hate the FLUDD, but now I love it. I still rarly use it though, unless I'm fighting G&W.
Even if you take away Cape and Fludd, Mario still has options like fireballs to remove second jumps, reverse uairs offstage, Bair stage spikes and Bairs away from stage. His Nair also has good priority, and cancels out attacks like Diddy's upB.

Also, I wouldn't go that far Judge. It's still a 2:8 matchup.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Gimping Sonic with Mario is difficult seeing as the cape gives him 2 springs and Fludd doesn't do much unless he's in the tumbling animation after spring. When trying to gimp him, you're reduced to primarily using close ranged attacks like reverse Uairs and Bairs to try and score your kills. Sonic is just in that small handful of Hard-to-Gimp characters with G&W and MK for Mario.

Mario has defensive options against Sonic's edgeguarding as well, however, because fireballs hinder HA and Fair before they hit, upB goes through spring, and upB stage spikes when you don't aim your Bair stage spike effectively.
Well, I was talking more or less in general, not specifically Sonic vs Mario. Though I'd like to note that I wouldn't be edgeguading you if you're already in range to up B. Spring gimps are most effective when done outside the opponent's up B range, as are most of Sonic's edgeguards. And I honestly don't use HA much to edgeguard.

By seeing Mario's edgeguarding, I meant I'd go Marth or something, 'cause I know Sonic is a ***** to edgeguard. (Apparently Mario can be too.)

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Well, I was talking more or less in general, not specifically Sonic vs Mario.
I know, I was just saying I'm not really in a position to say whether or not what you were saying was false or inaccurate because Mario and Sonic have difficulty edgeguarding each other more than the rest of the cast. That being my only experience since I only fight Sonics with Mario, I figured that was a little important.

By seeing Mario's edgeguarding, I meant I'd go Marth or something, 'cause I know Sonic is a ***** to edgeguard. (Apparently Mario can be too.)
The only problem I have with Marth's edgeguarding is the predictability of it all. If he's approaching you offstage, he's going for a Fair. If you know the range and space yourself well, it's not hard to maneuver around it and possibly get back to the stage before Marth does. From there, Marth's in a worse position because his options from the ledge aren't too safe and upBing above the ledge is silly. I may be generalizing, but I don't think I'm too far off.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord

If you're looking for a list, alone Fludd gimps: CF, Ganon, Falco, Fox, Ness, Link and all characters that can't sweetspot instantly from upB (Wario, Ike, Kirby). This is a tiny group compared to the cast, but that's because Fludd is never used alone, it's always used in conjunction with another attack because all it does is push and slow momentum. It's not one of those attacks with a clear-cut purpose either, it just adds to Mario's versatility. Fludd, for example, cancels out Luigi's and Pika's SideB and actually reduces his motion completely, rendering these attacks uneffective. Fludd also pushes Snake's grenades back to him when thrown without causing them to detonate, and kills loose Pikmin that aren't following Olimar (like after a Smash) if they're not blue. It can help recovery to an extent as well.

Even if you take away Cape and Fludd, Mario still has options like fireballs to remove second jumps, reverse uairs offstage, Bair stage spikes and Bairs away from stage. His Nair also has good priority, and cancels out attacks like Diddy's upB.

Also, I wouldn't go that far Judge. It's still a 2:8 matchup.
Maybe so, but has deifently improved the match-up for me since it severly limits G&W's approach in addition to blocking almost every atk. I'll try to send some replays to you this weekend so you can see what I'm talking about.

TruBluNuMou

Smash Rookie
my opinion is that Mario isn't actually any better than the people above him on the standard tier list, but he's closer to the people above him on the list than people think. He should be on the same tier as Zelda and Toon Link

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
my opinion is that Mario isn't actually any better than the people above him on the standard tier list, but he's closer to the people above him on the list than people think. He should be on the same tier as Zelda and Toon Link
WHY isn't he considered better than Ness and Lucas? What makes both of the Mother boys better than Mario? What is it that I'm missing here?

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
But seriously, I am very torn about whether the PKers or the Plumber are better. Hey're about equal in my book.
I'm not saying one is leagues better than the other either. I'm not even suggesting that Mario's better, I just want some justification on their tier list placements; something other than speculation based on the character's "surface" potential.

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
I'm not saying one is leagues better than the other either. I'm not even suggesting that Mario's better, I just want some justification on their tier list placements; something other than speculation based on the character's "surface" potential.
Hell, I think they all go into the middle part of the Mid Tier.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
Hell, I think they all go into the middle part of the Mid Tier.
I'm sorry but if you think metaknight = captain falcon I have to ask you to put down the crack pipe and actually play the game

all characters are different and separate, separate cannot be equal, so all characters are not equal (i just brought a supreme court ruling down on your ***, tiers is the law)

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
I'm sorry but if you think metaknight = captain falcon I have to ask you to put down the crack pipe and actually play the game

all characters are different and separate, separate cannot be equal, so all characters are not equal (i just brought a supreme court ruling down on your ***, tiers is the law)
You should edit this out, it makes you look bad.

Blackbelt

Smash Lord

I mean the PKers and Mario, not everyone, you ******.

Honestly, learn to read.

qotsa7777

Smash Rookie
Coming in late but

Why do they have fox ranked so much lower in this one than in melee? anyone know? Is it just tourny ranks?

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
Why do they have fox ranked so much lower in this one than in melee? anyone know? Is it just tourny ranks?
no waveshine, no jc shine, no instant shine, nerfed shine in general, lower weight, nerfed aerials mostly due to no l-canceling among other things but he's still decent though as is Sheik.
The Forward Aerial is the only move that got buffed, Falco's However, is still the same, useless.

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
GOD:

Meta Knight

TOP:

Snake
Mr. Game & Watch
King Dedede
Falco
ROB
Marth
Wario

HIGH:

Lucario
Olimar
Kirby
Donkey Kong
Pikachu
Diddy Kong
Ice Climbers
Wolf

MIDDLE:

Toon Link
Peach
Pit
Zelda
Luigi
Zero Suit Samus
Ness
Bowser
Fox
Shiek
Mario
Lucas

LOW:

Yoshi
Pokemon Trainer
Ike
Sonic
Samus
Jigglypuff

BOTTOM:

Link
Ganondorf
Captain Falcon

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
HIGH:
Fox
What in the world has Fox done to earn high tier? Being completely wrecked by characters with infinites as well as having plenty of characters being able to chainthrow you definitely gives him terrible match-ups. So it can't be that that lands him in high tier. Maybe it's his tournament results? Oh wait, nevermind, can't be that. He went from B rank, to C rank, to D rank in the past cutoffs of Ankoku's list. He's still D rank now and will likely drop in the future. So that can't earn him high tier either.

So I'll ask again? Why is in the world is Fox above Toon Link, Peach, Pit, Zelda, etc...
Sure, maybe they can't offer the tournament results, but he definitely can't either. But unlike Fox those characters don't have terrible one sided match-ups holding them back as well. Fox is far from High Tier and barely Mid Tier.

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
What in the world has Fox done to earn high tier? Being completely wrecked by characters with infinites as well as having plenty of characters being able to chainthrow you definitely gives him terrible match-ups. So it can't be that that lands him in high tier. Maybe it's his tournament results? Oh wait, nevermind, can't be that. He went from B rank, to C rank, to D rank in the past cutoffs of Ankoku's list. He's still D rank now and will likely drop in the future. So that can't earn him high tier either.

So I'll ask again? Why is in the world is Fox above Toon Link, Peach, Pit, Zelda, etc...
Sure, maybe they can't offer the tournament results, but he definitely can't either. But unlike Fox those characters don't have terrible one sided match-ups holding them back as well. Fox is far from High Tier and barely Mid Tier.
Kay, I fixed it.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Why is Sonic still in the top 10 worst characters?

Again in nearly every single cutoff date Sonic has place himself in the 20's repeatedly.
His matchups are also much better than the characters whom are definitely low tier characters.

He is one of the few characters who can approach quickly, safely and unlike characters like Fox, he has NO committed approaches. All of his approach methods are canceled . he avoids getting juggled due to his spring.
He has a extremely beastly recovery that allows him to edgeguard much better than a large number of the cast. it allows him to harass characters such as ROB.

he has a good aerial game and while his ground game is rather average it is efficent. His grab game is aided by his canceling ability and his dashgrab distance enhances his grabbing ability even more.

He can chase much better than other characters.

I have yet to see any argument that actually provides ACCURATE reasoning as to why Sonic is so bad that he is in the top ten worst characters.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458

Again in nearly every single cutoff date Sonic has place himself in the 20's repeatedly.
His matchups are also much better than the characters whom are definitely low tier characters.

He is one of the few characters who can approach quickly, safely and unlike characters like Fox, he has NO committed approaches. All of his approach methods are canceled . he avoids getting juggled due to his spring.
He has a extremely beastly recovery that allows him to edgeguard much better than a large number of the cast. it allows him to harass characters such as ROB.

he has a good aerial game and while his ground game is rather average it is efficent. His grab game is aided by his canceling ability and his dashgrab distance enhances his grabbing ability even more.

I have yet to see any argument that actually provides ACCURATE reasoning as to why Sonic is so bad that he is in the top ten worst characters.
Because once you get past the top 5/7 worst characters it barely even matters anymore.

Ganondorf and Falcon are in their own bad league.

PT is in this wonky position.
Once you get past Ganondorf, Falcon, Jigglypuff and Link.
It almost barely matters anymore since everyone starts playing at much closer levels overall at that point.

But whatever >.> Sonic is wierd, people don't like him, blah whatever.

Yoshi for mid tier.

Edit:
Sonic is also 11th from the bottom currently.
Yoshi is 9th (just throwing that out there)
Inbetween those 2 is Zelda.

Sonic's doing 11th from the best but nobody is going to put Zelda as 10th worst (atleast not right now =P) so Sonic goes in 10th slot or so.

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised

No matter how much you gripe about how decent Sonic is, you will never get past the fundamental fact that people are ignorant and have no idea of how Sonic actually fights.

Tourney placings are nice, but until there are high-profile videos of Sonic winning that demonstrate his potential, people aren't going to take him seriously.

I don't know where you think he will go, but I think Sonic will hang out with ZSS, Ness and Fox (Luigi will get a boost eventually). He definately has the potential, but I have never seen a Sonic main beat anyone notable before.

At least your cries will get noted. I'll kick back and enjoy Old Man Ganon and Captain Falcon's placings.

AlexX

Smash Ace
I still say MK doesn't deserve a tier of his own. The others in the top tier can destroy the competition just as well as he can, and either have no bad matchups or few bad matchups (Dedede being a possible exception, but apparently that's not too big a factor since he's still winning).

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
MIDDLE:

Toon Link
Peach
Pit
Zelda
Fox
Luigi
Zero Suit Samus
Ness
Bowser
Shiek
Mario
Lucas
Yoshi
Your Mid tier is huge! Scratch that. It's fine...the amount of characters in it, that is; not the actual characters you included.

Sure, maybe they can't offer the tournament results, but he definitely can't either.
Peach can.
She has better tournament results than Olimar, Wolf, Pit, Donkey Kong, Zamus, Zelda, Luigi, Toon Link and especially Bowser.

Kay, I fixed it.
You just moved him below the characters than Xivi put as an example. lol.

Still too high. Luigi, ZSS, and Bowser are all easily better than him.
This.

time distortion

Smash Rookie
i would say pikachu can pretty much take down anyone except game&watch because g&w db absorbs thunder. try using pikachu sometime. he is so easy to get used to, and you pull off insane combos/recoveries

time distortion

Smash Rookie
i would say pikachu is pretty high in the tier. he easy to control, and he can recover so well. his combos are nothin ta sneeze at, too

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I still say MK doesn't deserve a tier of his own. The others in the top tier can destroy the competition just as well as he can, and either have no bad matchups or few bad matchups (Dedede being a possible exception, but apparently that's not too big a factor since he's still winning).
*Bolding added

The 500 ranking points he has over the next highest character says differently.

Besides snake he has more ranking points then the rest of the characters combined as well.

Seriously, MK is on a totally different level then the rest of the cast.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Overall best character:
Meta Knight

Top Tier::
Snake
Falco
Wario

High Tier:
G&W
King Dedede
Marth
R.O.B
Lucario
Pikachu
Diddy Kong
Olimar
Kirby

Middle Tier:
Pit
Wolf
Peach
Donkey Kong
Ice Climbers
Zero Suit Samus
Pokemon Trainer
Fox
Luigi
Zelda
Mario
Sonic
Yoshi
Bowser
Ike
Ness
Sheik
Lucas

Miley Cyrus Tier:
Link
Samus
Jigglypuff

Bottom:
Ganondorf
Captain Falcon

Fo real.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
ChronoPenguins list is absurd. Pit, Wolf, DK and the ICs in the same tier as Yoshi, Sonic, Ike and Bowser???
Besides GaW is in two tiers at once...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom