• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AD1

Smash Rookie
sonic does well against snake?

Bowser rated higher than link? i mean c'mon thats just plain disrespectful as long as link is on the stage he candle pretty much anyone in the game its his recovery that makes him so weak but whatever he's better than low

Gindler

Smash Champion
He doesn't do too bad against Snake (once you learn how to deal with grenades anyway), but Metaknight is one of his worst matchups (along with Luigi). I wouldn't say he's doing well, but I certainly wouldn't consider him bottom tier. Mid low or high low tier sounds better, putting him above Yoshi and Jigglypuff. Having the surge of Snakes to get rid of some of the Metaknights could actually be considered benifitial to some of the lower tiered characters (who all get ***** by Metaknight, but tend to do better against Snake).

I also noticed that DanGR's tier list does not have a mid tier. Is there any particular reason you did that?

edit: Never mind the Sonic placement comment. Apparently I fail at reading comprehension. lol.
Sonic does better against snake? from what I've heard some snakes actually think yoshi has an advantage on snake (grabbing out of cypher, of course this rarely happens so I see it as irrevalant myself).

As far as your sonic doing better against a snake than my yoshi, I'd probably have to say yep since you're a player worth mentioning.

Tenki

Smash Hero
sonic does well against snake?
No, not really.

However, Snake's obvious advantages (grenade counter, tilt range, priority, blah blah blah) aren't as steep a wall in the matchup as you'd think. Rising aerials still hit Snake while keeping Sonic (or any character?? maybe) away from the bad grenade. Sonic likes shieldgrabbing landing lag, tech chasing, gimping, juggling, etc.

`.`; call me crazy but I have fun fighting Snake as Sonic. But Snake still holds the advantage lol.

edit:
Oh yeah. I don't play as Yoshi much, but is your grab release limited to an upwards/outwards trajectory?

Sonic's (and pretty much every other character's) grab release+pummel from the edge drops Snake down and easily sets up for a fsmash, footstool, B-air stage spike, or an insta grabgimp (grab Snake out of cypher and get hit at the same time- can be done before Snake can even airdodge, or if he does, he gimps himself xd) if the Snake is silly and tries to cypher back

Also, Yoshi can do that thing to Sonic, too. Grab either of them from their up-B's before they land from anywhere on the stage and you can just chain-release until they get to the edge and they get gimped :[

powell651234

Smash Apprentice
No, not really.

However, Snake's obvious advantages (grenade counter, tilt range, priority, blah blah blah) aren't as steep a wall in the matchup as you'd think. Rising aerials still hit Snake while keeping Sonic (or any character?? maybe) away from the bad grenade. Sonic likes shieldgrabbing landing lag, tech chasing, gimping, juggling, etc.

`.`; call me crazy but I have fun fighting Snake as Sonic. But Snake still holds the advantage lol.

edit:
Oh yeah. I don't play as Yoshi much, but is your grab release limited to an upwards/outwards trajectory?

Sonic's (and pretty much every other character's) grab release+pummel from the edge drops Snake down and easily sets up for a fsmash, footstool, B-air stage spike, or an insta grabgimp (grab Snake out of cypher and get hit at the same time- can be done before Snake can even airdodge, or if he does, he gimps himself xd) if the Snake is silly and tries to cypher back

Also, Yoshi can do that thing to Sonic, too. Grab either of them from their up-B's before they land from anywhere on the stage and you can just chain-release until they get to the edge and they get gimped :[
yeah, there are a couple lower down chars that prove challenging for snake, another one i think is Samus.

Samus is useless against MK, but against Snake, the meteor smash, zair and projectiles will keep you on your toes.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I like DanGR's tier list - despite some dubious rankings. But I like the idea of MK having his own tier as it reflects the current metagame more accurate, than any other tier list I've seen so far

1.) It shows that MK breaks the game but Snake doesn't
2.) It shows that Snake and G&W are not an entire tier apart from Marth, Falco and D3

So here's my take on the tier list:

Snake-Tier:

Metaknight

Top-Tier:

Snake
Mr. Game And Watch
Marth
Falco
R.O.B
King Dedede
Olimar
Wario

High-Tier:

Pit
Wolf
Donkey Kong
Lucario
Pikachu
Toon Link
Kirby
Zelda

Mid-Tier:

Ice Climbers
Fox
Diddy Kong
Luigi
Ness
Peach
Lucas
Mario

Low-Tier:

Zero Suit Samus
Sheik
Sonic
Ike
Bowser
Pokemon Trainer

Bottom-Tier:

Yoshi
Jigglypuff
Samus
Link
Ganondorf
Captain Falcon

Watcha think?

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
I do believe that Yoshi and Pokemon Trainer have a lot more going for them than Boozer does, and possibly Ike.
Although their tourney results would definitely not reflect that.

Neokun

Smash Apprentice
I dont follow this tier bull****, because "tiers" are obsolete in Brawl. I think everyone will end up having their own personal tiers, I mean I have about 8 characters that I rank in my own head based on how good I am with them. I use Lucario very well, whereas others try to put him on Low Tier...bring your high tier space animal against my Lucario, and the matchup wont be unbalanced in any way, unless I am playing the likes of Azen or something.

AgentAO

Smash Journeyman
I dont follow this tier bull****, because "tiers" are obsolete in Brawl. I think everyone will end up having their own personal tiers, I mean I have about 8 characters that I rank in my own head based on how good I am with them. I use Lucario very well, whereas others try to put him on Low Tier...bring your high tier space animal against my Lucario, and the matchup wont be unbalanced in any way, unless I am playing the likes of Azen or something.
Tiers are not personal preference, who will always win, or who will be better in one hands than another. Tiers are, assuming the two players are of equal skill in a tournament settings, an average approximation of how well that character would do compared to every other character. Higher up characters, under equal skill and tournament settings, are already in a position to win easier. A bottom tier character CAN win a tournament, just it would normally take that character more effort than most higher tier characters.

Don't think of tiers as "who will always win", but more of "how unbalanced this game is."

Oracle

Smash Master
God:
Meta Knight

Not top. god tier. He is better than every character. He has no disadvantaged matchups and if anyone tells you otherwise, they're wrong. He and Snake skew the tourney results too much for me to consider tourney results. period.

High:

Snake
Mr. Game & Watch
Marth
Falco
R.O.B
King Dedede

Wario
Captain Olimar
Diddy Kong
Donkey Kong

Ice Climbers
Pikachu
Sheik/Zelda

Low: [no particuler order]
Kirby
Pit
Lucario
Toon Link
Peach
Wolf
Fox
Zero Suit Samus
Lucas
Ness

[no particular order]
Jigglypuff
Mario
Yoshi
Sonic
Ganondorf
Pokemon Trainer
Captain Falcon
Bowser
Ike
Samus
Link

You can flame me if you want. I don't really care.
Wolf, lucas, ness, toon link, and mario should be higher.

Neokun

Smash Apprentice
I know, but Brawl is pretty balanced, those who complain probably lose a lot and that is why. There are only a few who have obviously been ****ed, for example, I doubt we will ever see a Gdorf win a tournament in Brawl outside of scrub tourneys.

I just think that tiers are lame and obsolete for Brawl. Everyone has a pretty equal amount of strengths and weaknesses, and make up for them in their own ways.

Also, who is the douchebag who tried to put TL on low tier? hahahaha, god ****.

Neokun

Smash Apprentice
Also, MK is to overbalanced as Gdorf is to underbalanced.

As a matter of fact, here is my tier list.

TOP:
Metaknight

MIDDLE:
Everyone else

LOW:
Ganondorf.

There ya go.

Falling Whistness

Smash Apprentice
I added more tier lists to the average and improved my statistical methods

As always, this is a rolling average of everyone's tier lists in this thread.

Top Tier
1. Snake
2. Meta Knight

High Tier
1. Mr. Game & Watch
2. Marth
3. Falco
4. R.O.B.
5. King Dedede
6. Wario
7. Olimar

Middle Tier
1. Toon Link
2. Wolf
3. Donkey Kong
4. Pit
5. Lucario
6. Pikachu
7. Kirby
8. Ice Climbers
9. Diddy Kong
10. Zelda
11. Fox

Lower Middle Tier
1. Luigi
2. Zero Suit Samus
3. Lucas
4. Ness
5. Peach
6. Mario
7. Ike

Low Tier
1. Sonic
2. Sheik
3. Pokemon Trainer
4. Bowser
5. Samus
6. Link
7. Jigglypuff
8. Yoshi

Bottom Tier
1. Ganondorf
2. Captain Falcon

Meta Knight and Snake continue to be extremely close in their fight for first place.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
@Everyone who replied to my post-I did not say that Sonic does well against Snake. I said Sonic does not do that bad against Snake. There is a big difference.

My point exactly. Thanks.

Well, Sonic can still recover by just DIing towards the stage and footstool jumping off of Yoshi when he's edgehogging, because Sonic jumps out of the grab release as opposed to Snake who just falls.
edit:
I think it's character specific. Ness does the ground break while Metaknight does the jump break, ect. Characters with the ground break can also jump break if they press jump at the right time (provided they're not being pummeled), but I'm not sureif the reverse is true.

Falling Whistness

Smash Apprentice
I'm keeping a rolling average of everyone's tier lists to try to get a good sense of what the community thinks the tier list is.

My current average goes back to page 714 of this thread. If you posted a tier list before that point and would like to have it included, please repost an updated version of it now. Only one tier list per person counts (I just take whichever is your latest.)

Unusual_Rex

Smash Journeyman
All Comments are appreciated! Please respond!

A (U) beside a name means they could possibly move up on the list.
A (D) beside a name means they could possibly move down on the list.
An (N) beside the name means they could possibly move up or down on the list.

Top Tiers:

Snake (D)
Meta Knight (D)
Mr. Game & Watch (D)
Marth (D)

High Tiers:

King Dedede (N)
R.O.B (U)
Falco (N)
Wario (D)
Captain Olimar (D)
Lucario (N)

Upper Mid Tiers:

Pit (N)
Toon Link (D)
Donkey Kong (U)
Pikachu (N)
Wolf (N)
Fox (D)

Mid Mid Tiers:

Ice Climbers (N)
Zelda (U)
Diddy Kong (N)
Zero Suit Samus (D)
Ness (D)
Kirby (D)
Ike (N)

Low Mid Tiers:

Peach (D)
Lucas (D)
Sonic (U)
Luigi (N)
Sheik (U)
Squirtle (D)

Low Tiers:

Mario (N)
Ivysaur (N)
Samus (N)
Bowser (N)
Link (U)
Charizard (U)

Bottom Tiers:

Yoshi (U)
Jigglypuff (U)
Captain Falcon (U)
Ganondorf (U)

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I also noticed that DanGR's tier list does not have a mid tier. Is there any particular reason you did that?
Why have a mid tier? I think everyone in my low tier are too close to rank and everyone in my high tier are too close to rank. If I had only top, high and, mid, it wouldn't make sense. There's no "average" b/c the average character lies in my low tier. Call it what you like. I'll edit my list to accompany this.

Edited- VVVVVVVV
Spaces represent gaps between sections of the tiers. I've added "no particuler order" notices as well. They mean there's no particular order among the characters that are listed before the next set of characters.

God:
Meta Knight

Not top. god tier. He is better than every character. He has no disadvantaged matchups and if anyone tells you otherwise, they're wrong. He and Snake skew the tourney results too much for me to consider tourney results. period.

High:

Snake
Mr. Game & Watch
Marth
Falco
R.O.B
King Dedede

[no particular order]

Wario
Captain Olimar
Diddy Kong
Donkey Kong

Mid: [no particuler order]
Ice Climbers
Pikachu
Sheik/Zelda
Toon Link
Wolf
Kirby

[no particuler order]
Pit
Lucario
Peach
Ness
Fox
Luigi
Zero Suit Samus
Lucas

Low: [no particuler order]
Jigglypuff
Mario (boss is high tier)
Yoshi
Sonic
Ganondorf
Pokemon Trainer
Captain Falcon
Bowser
Ike
Samus
Link

You can flame me if you want. I don't really care.
your comment
Read the bold

People not putting Dedede in at least 4th makes me sad.
DDD isn't the fourth best character in the game. He's VERY tourney viable as a character though, seeing how horribly unbalanced he is. He's too reliable as a CP. He's either got the advantage 65/35 or he's got the disadvantage 65/35. It's stupid. >_>

Edit: unusual rex-there's too many tiers imo.

jber4life

Smash Apprentice
Here is my second attempt at a good tier list

God Tier
-Meta Knight
-Snake

High Tier
-Mr Game and Watch
-King Dedede
-Marth
-Falco
-Rob
-Wario

High-Mid
-Lucario
-Pikachu
-Olimar
-Donkey Kong
-Toon Link
-Wolf
-Ice Climbers

Mid
-Diddy Kong
-Peach
-Kirby
-Zelda
-Luigi
-Pit
-Fox
-Zero Suit Samus

Low-mid
-Sonic
-Ness
-Lucas
-Mario
-Sheik
-Pokemon Trainer
-Jiggly Puff
-Samus

Low
-Yoshi
-Bowser
-Ike
-Link
-Ganandorf
-Capt Falcon

Frown

poekmon

Top Tiers:

Snake (D)
Meta Knight (D)
Mr. Game & Watch (D)
Marth (D)

High Tiers:

King Dedede (N)
R.O.B (U)
Falco (N)
Wario (D)
Captain Olimar (D)
Lucario (N)

Upper Mid Tiers:

Pit (N)
Toon Link (D)
Donkey Kong (U)
Pikachu (N)
Wolf (N)
Fox (D)

Mid Mid Tiers:

Ice Climbers (N)
Zelda (U)
Diddy Kong (N)
Zero Suit Samus (D)
Ness (D)
Kirby (D)
Ike (N)

Low Mid Tiers:

Peach (D)
Lucas (D)
Sonic (U)
Luigi (N)
Sheik (U) (Seriously? Sheik's down B is her only killin move)
Squirtle (D)

Low Tiers:

Mario (N)
Ivysaur (N)
Samus (N)
Bowser (N)
Link (U)
Charizard (U)

Bottom Tiers:

Yoshi (U)
Jigglypuff (U)
Captain Falcon (U)
Ganondorf (U) (He deserves an individual tier lol)
Red=Should move down.
Green=Should move up.

PLEASE stop dividing Pokémon Trainer into Pokémon. People don't seem to notice that the Pokémon changes after losing a stock.

Unusual_Rex

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the reply. I have devided PokeMon up into each PokeMon because each PokeMon are not equal to one another. I know that you cycle through them but I'm just showing which is better than the other.

Prov1

Smash Rookie

Top Tiers:

Snake (D)
Meta Knight (D)
Mr. Game & Watch (D)
Marth (D)

High Tiers:

King Dedede (N)
R.O.B (U)
Falco (N)
Wario (D)
Captain Olimar (D)
Lucario (N)

Upper Mid Tiers:

Pit (N)
Toon Link (D)
Donkey Kong (U)
Pikachu (N)
Wolf (N)
Fox (D)

Mid Mid Tiers:

Ice Climbers (N)
Zelda (U)
Diddy Kong (N)
Zero Suit Samus (D)
Ness (D)
Kirby (D)
Ike (N)

Low Mid Tiers:

Peach (D)
Lucas (D)
Sonic (U)
Luigi (N)
Sheik (U)
Squirtle (D)

Low Tiers:

Mario (N)
Ivysaur (N)
Samus (N)
Bowser (N)
Link (U)
Charizard (U)

Bottom Tiers:

Yoshi (U)
Jigglypuff (U)
Captain Falcon (U)
Ganondorf (U)
imo best tier list I have seen so far.

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
GOD:

Meta Knight
Snake

TOP:

Mr. Game & Watch
Falco
Marth
R.O.B
King Dedede

HIGH:

Captian Olimar
Wario
Toon Link
Kirby
Donkey Kong
Pikachu
Lucario
Pit

MIDDLE:

Zelda
Wolf
Ice Climbers
Diddy Kong
Fox
Luigi
Ness
Zero Suit Samus
Peach
Lucas

LOW:

Mario
Yoshi
Bowser
Sonic
Pokemon Trainer
Shiek
Ike

BOTTOM:

Samus
Jigglypuff
Link
Captian Falcon
Ganondorf

Pieisthebest

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0430-8304-2774
GOD:

Meta Knight
Snake

TOP:

Mr. Game & Watch
Falco
Marth
R.O.B
King Dedede

HIGH:

Captian Olimar
Wario
Toon Link
Kirby
Donkey Kong
Pikachu
Lucario
Pit

MIDDLE:

Zelda
Wolf
Ice Climbers
Diddy Kong
Fox
Luigi
Ness
Zero Suit Samus
Lucas
Mario

LOW:

Peach
Yoshi
Bowser
Sonic
Pokemon Trainer
Shiek
Ike

BOTTOM:

Samus
Jigglypuff
Link
Captian Falcon
Ganondorf
Epic list, I would move snake down to top, Samus swich with Ike and peach be moved to below ZSS, other wise its godly

popsofctown

Smash Champion
the list is indeed really good. It's not accurate to put Snake on the same tier as Meta Knight, but he's at the least putting Snake below Meta Knight and not being a tourney results drone. Everything else is pretty good. Peach really is in a low part of the middle tier, but that's a common forgivable misconception, she flies so low under the radar in so many areas of the country. You can switch Samus with Ike, but either way it is fine to me. Ike and Samus are both really two characters that are hard to call.

Edit: i read over my use of the word misconception and it looked a bit like i thought i knew everything but i don't. I humbly applaud the list.

massimo009

Smash Cadet
link is always bottom tier but i thibk hes better than that. Why do so many people think he so bad.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Link is pretty good in the right hands. He's like TL with a better reach and faster more effective projectiles. I think the the thing that people see with link is that his recovery is pretty bad making him somewhat unchallenging to kill. Of course kinda like how samus is even though they're both low they seem to give snake alot of trouble with they're camping projectile game.

Oh, and link's Dthrow to Dair is pretty killer.

massimo009

Smash Cadet
i agree but his recover is easily overcomed by DI +fast fall near the end and you make it back easily. MY prediction is that links gonna have time where he gets popular like the other game and rise through the list. And thanks for the combo idea ill have to try that, but personally my favorite combo is bombf from above to f-air to f-tilt z-air boomerang. Its a boatload of damage and easy to land for me.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Yeah, the Dthrow to Dair thing will pretty much always work if the opponent airdodges right after. If they don't you can just do something else that's less lethal. But yeah I like link even though he's low tier and I might start using him as a snake counter since snakes kill off the top most of the time making his wieght a big help and the poor recovery non viable.

yeah, linkaggedon is pretty good I think it just needs to be updated.

Falling Whistness

Smash Apprentice
Updated rolling average:

Top Tier:
1. Snake
2. Meta Knight

High Tier:
1. Mr. Game & Watch
2. Marth
3. Falco
4. R.O.B.
5. King Dedede

Highish Tier:
1. Wario
2. Olimar

Upper Middle Tier:
1. Donkey Kong
2. Toon Link
3. Wolf
4. Lucario
5. Pit
6. Pikachu

Middle Tier:
1. Ice Climbers
2. Kirby
3. Fox
4. Zelda
5. Diddy Kong

Lower Middle Tier:
1. Luigi
2. Zero Suit Samus
3. Lucas
4. Ness
5. Peach

Low Tier:
1. Sonic
2. Mario
3. Ike
4. Sheik
5. Pokemon Trainer
6. Bowser

Bottom Tier:
1. Samus
2. Link
3. Jigglypuff
4. Yoshi
5. Ganondorf
6. Captain Falcon

For those who don't know, this is an average of everyone's tier lists on this thread. If you want your list included (and you posted it more than 150 pages ago) post it again now.

I've continued to refine my statistical methods, which is why I've reorganized the list a little bit. The gaps now go in all the places where they really make sense statistically. This is my definitive list, so I won't do a new one until there are enough new lists to post an update.

Also, here's a bit of information to stimulate some discussion. The top five characters on whom there is the most disagreement regarding their placement are (from most disagreement to least):

1. Mario
2. Jigglypuff
3. Sheik
4. Peach
5. Luigi

So what do you guys think?

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Links going to move up
Yoshi's going to move up
Lucas will probably move up
Snakes gonna be below Metaknight
Game and watch may be above snake in the future.
Snake's future is uncertain but it looks like he's going to decline and others shall rise (MK and G&W).

Also Ganondorf >> Captain Falcon.
Ganondorf's 1 of my secondary's I compared him and CF to see who was better..... Ganondorf....all the freakin way.

Ganondorf has a lot of hope going on for him. his N-air and U-air come out quickly, so does his back air.
D-air speaks for itself and it autocancels.
Usmash speaks for itself.
Ftilt speaks for itself.
Murder Choke ...should speak for itself.

Basically with Ganondorf, he's slow, hit's Hard.

Ganondorf should be played defensively, because thats when you can take advantage of his mass power.

CF is....he's screwed man, unlike Ganondorf playing defensively is not going to work for him, he's going to get stopped, so he has to go offensive and try to hit them before they hit him and out-prioritize his ***.
Too bad he doesn't have ganondorf's strength.

Ganondorf is a defensive dude srsly.
Murderchoke leads to a free d-tilt on some characters.

Ganondorf can be boring to watch those since he plays defensively.

Bottom line, Ganondorf >> captain Falcon. People will benefit when they stop charging in with Ganondorf as if this was OoT or something.

Still yoshi and Link are moving up.... possibly jiggles.

Teh Uber Parachuter

Smash Cadet
Also, here's a bit of information to stimulate some discussion. The top five characters on whom there is the most disagreement regarding their placement are (from most disagreement to least):

1. Mario
2. Jigglypuff
3. Sheik
4. Peach
5. Luigi

So what do you guys think?
You obviously weren't paying attention to the millions of Yoshi-related posts >_<

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
So your telling me even when he's the most discussed character.

He's still on a bottom tier in who's talked about most?

Poor yoshi lol.

also
Yoshi can't wavedash
He DR's....which is cooler...

Falling Whistness

Smash Apprentice
Alright, since people are curious, here's the list of all the characters sorted from highest std dev to lowest.
That means, the higher the character is on this list, the more people's tier lists disagree on where they should be placed.

Mario
Jigglypuff
Sheik
Peach
Luigi
Toon Link
Lucas
Lucario
Samus
Fox
Ike
Sonic
Bowser
King Dedede
Donkey Kong
Ice Climbers
Diddy Kong
Ganondorf
Ness
Zero Suit Samus
Pit
Yoshi
Link
Wolf
Zelda
Kirby
Ivysaur
Captain Falcon
Charizard
Pikachu
Squirtle
Olimar
Wario
Falco
Marth
R.O.B.
Snake
Mr. Game & Watch
Meta Knight

Snail

Smash Lord
O_o I'm surprised that so many people disagree about Mario... And I haven't seen many Jiggles fanboys here either. But maybe I'm just looking at the wrong pages... How come so many people disagree about King Dedede?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom