• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
Top:
Toon Link
Pit
Marth
Game and Watch
ROB
Meta Knight
Fox

High:
Snake
Lucas
Wolf
Falco
Lucario
Dedede
Pokemon Trainer
Olimar
Pikachu
Luigi
Ness
Diddy Kong

Middle:
Mario
Peach
Bowser
Ike
Wario
Zelda/Sheik
Samus/Zero Suit Samus
Sonic
Ice Climbers
Link
Jigglypuff
Kirby
Donkey Kong

Low:
Captain Falcon
Yoshi
Ganondorf

The tiers are in order, but the people within each tier are not. For instance, I'm not necessarily saying that Toon Link is better than Marth. I don't believe that we've gotten to a point in the Brawl metagame where we could establish a highly ordered tier list, so this is my rough sketch, I suppose.

Please refrain from flaming this list; it's not really a point of argumentation for me. To each his own.
Marth really isn't top-tier material anymore. His range on his forward smash has been shortened. His side b is easier to do, but its damage and knockback has been decreased significantly. his b move is now stronger and charges up faster, but it can't hit enemies about and can't be used for edge guarding. the recovery in his b move is actually quite nice due to his crappy up b, but you have to charge it all the way. here is why that is bad.

let's say you are knocked far away to the magnified zone. you are trying to recover, but don't make it very far. you are almost below the edge. you try to use the side b, but by the time it's fully charged up, you are below the stage. it's not too useful in recovery.

besides, in this game they increased the radius of the area you have to be in to grab a ledge. you may notice that some people grab the edge even if they are a few cm below it. this helps marth's up b since it doesn't go very high.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
You really gonna tell me that Marth stands out more as not being top tier then Toon Link and Pit?

Marth isn't top tier but he is alot closer to it then those two that's for sure.

Anyway that list you quoted blows anyway.

I don't know why you would quote it.

Edit: No wonder that list sucked.

It's from 3 months ago. Why the hell would you quote that?

cutter

Smash Champion
Hey, I'm not alone! A lot of people agree with me that Silverflash-x and NSS have made the best tier lists so far.

It's hilarious to see tier lists from like the week after the US release. :bee:

Mighty_mo76

Smash Apprentice
Still waiting for SBR's list....

Yeah Marth is definitely top tier. Fast, range, shield breaker, counter, nuff said.

Let's wait for the real list to come out.

cutter

Smash Champion
I don't think the SBR list will come out for a bit. The game has been out for a little over 4 months.

For know, Silverflash-x and NSS's tier lists are the closest to accurate tier lists atm. I wouldn't be surprised if there were only minor changes from theirs with the SBR's tier list.

Speaking of which... hey Emblem Lord you're in the back room right? When do you think the first tier list will be released to the public?

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Tier lists require a good amount of time for the metagame to have developed.

Also, in actuality, they don't really matter.

All that does is the stage legality list and ruleset, which is what I'm waiting to see.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
true,im more focused on stage legality than finding out what character noobs are play cuz their top tier

but im in this topic again to ask some more questions?(yep prepare for my noobiness)
so how are IC and yoshi doing?if fox still dead middle with sheik?
post the most accurate list so far(cuz going back a bunch of pages looking for the right one sucks)

cutter

Smash Champion
NSS's tier list; one of the most accurate ones so far. Numbers are from Ankoku's character rankings (might be a bit outdated since this posted a few days ago).

Top Tier:
Snake <1>
Meta Knight <2>
Mr. Game and Watch <4>

Very High Tier:
Marth <5>
Falco <8>
R.O.B.<7>
King Dedede <3>
Wario <6>
Olimar <10>

High Tier:
Pit <13>
Wolf <12>
Pikachu <21>
Toon Link <23>
Lucario <9>
Zelda <18>
Donkey Kong <11>
Fox <14>

Mid Tier:
Ice Climbers<15>
Diddy Kong <20>
Kirby <16>
Luigi <27>
Lucas <30>
Ness <17>
ZSS <19>

Low tier :
Ike <28>
Peach <22>
Mario <29>
Pokemon Trainer <34>
Bowser <26>
Sonic <24>
Sheik <35>

Bottom Tier:
Link <33>
Samus <25>
Ganondorf <Unranked>
Yoshi <36> (Holy **** finally!)
Jigglypuff <31>
*SPACE*
Captain Falcon <35>

Frate

Smash Journeyman
NSS's tier list; one of the most accurate ones so far. Numbers are from Ankoku's character rankings (might be a bit outdated since this posted a few days ago).

Top Tier:
Snake <1>
Meta Knight <2>
Mr. Game and Watch <4>

Very High Tier:
Marth <5>
Falco <8>
R.O.B.<7>
King Dedede <3>
Wario <6>
Olimar <10>

High Tier:
Pit <13>
Wolf <12>
Pikachu <21>
Toon Link <23>
Lucario <9>
Zelda <18>
Donkey Kong <11>
Fox <14>

Mid Tier:
Ice Climbers<15>
Diddy Kong <20>
Kirby <16>
Luigi <27>
Lucas <30>
Ness <17>
ZSS <19>

Low tier :
Ike <28>
Peach <22>
Mario <29>
Pokemon Trainer <34>
Bowser <26>
Sonic <24>
Sheik <35>

Bottom Tier:
Link <33>
Samus <25>
Ganondorf <Unranked>
Jigglypuff <31>
*SPACE*
Captain Falcon <35>
Perfect.
Though, should The Captain be THAT low? :( He deserves 38, not 39. Or is it perhaps 35, not 36?

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
The only plausible and well backed up change I could make to NSS' list for the moment is that Peach deserves the bottom of middle, above Ike and possible ZSS. Also, Pit and Wolf both could need to be dropped slightly.

Infin!ty

Smash Rookie

Top Tier:
Snake <1>
Meta Knight <2>
Mr. Game and Watch <4>

Very High Tier:
Marth <5>
Falco <8>
R.O.B.<7>
King Dedede <3>
Wario <6>
Olimar <10>

High Tier:
Pit <13>
Wolf <12>
Pikachu <21>
Toon Link <23>
Lucario <9>
Zelda <18>
Donkey Kong <11>
Fox <14>

Mid Tier:
Ice Climbers<15>
Diddy Kong <20>
Kirby <16>
Luigi <27>
Lucas <30>
Ness <17>
ZSS <19>

Low tier :
Ike <28>
Peach <22>
Mario <29>
Pokemon Trainer <34>
Bowser <26>
Sonic <24>
Sheik <35>

Bottom Tier:
Link <33>
Samus <25>
Ganondorf <Unranked>
Jigglypuff <31>
*SPACE*
Captain Falcon <35>
move g&w to top of very high, move r.o.b and dedede above falco, move DK up a few spots,move fox to top of mid, switch jiggz and falcon then it would be perfect...

System Failure 333

Smash Apprentice
I'm surprised that Wario is so high on the tier list... glad to hear it, cause he's my second main :D my first main however isn't as high :( and I must admit I'm kinda surprised

Adapt

Smash Lord
How is Peach>ZSS well backed up? ZSS>Peach in tourney results and at least = in matchups. (I'm not going by the chart because both ZSS and Peach's matchups are completely wrong)

I still can't figure out why pikachu is considered so high. TL is more understandable, but Pika is annoying yes... but so good? Thunder kicks *** it's true, and QA is quite a good recovery but nothing else stands out at all. Also Pika's tourney results are mediocre at best.

I agree ness>lucas, and peach>Ike though

exidid

Smash Journeyman
I'd be happier if Peach was in Mid Tier, but I'm fine with the rest :D

Peach may not be doing well in tournies but she is still a solid character me thinks :/

philbobjoe

Smash Journeyman
How is Peach>ZSS well backed up? ZSS>Peach in tourney results and at least = in matchups. (I'm not going by the chart because both ZSS and Peach's matchups are completely wrong)

I still can't figure out why pikachu is considered so high. TL is more understandable, but Pika is annoying yes... but so good? Thunder kicks *** it's true, and QA is quite a good recovery but nothing else stands out at all. Also Pika's tourney results are mediocre at best.

I agree ness>lucas, and peach>Ike though
Agreed that Pikachu's tourney results are mediocre, but I think he falls under the TL Syndrome. Pikachu has excellent matchups, his QAC is amazing, and he can chain-grab a good portion of the cast. Also Pikachu has an even matchup with Snake and not a horrible matchup with MK, which always helps.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Agreed that Pikachu's tourney results are mediocre, but I think he falls under the TL Syndrome. Pikachu has excellent matchups, his QAC is amazing, and he can chain-grab a good portion of the cast. Also Pikachu has an even matchup with Snake and not a horrible matchup with MK, which always helps.
Of course, CG's don't mean everything. Example: Yoshi can CG 17 members of the cast. There's no percent limit, since it's a release grab. Yet I find it very unlikely that he'll do better than low tier.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Pika also has a good dsmash and he is a fast mover. He also essentially has 4 smash attacks, because his Skull Bash can be charged, and is pretty strong. It also sends him flying pretty far at a full charge.

Frown

poekmon
Pika also has a good dsmash and he is a fast mover. He also essentially has 4 smash attacks, because his Skull Bash can be charged, and is pretty strong. It also sends him flying pretty far at a full charge.
Skull bash? It's the most predictable move in the game. Even Luigi keeps his mouth shut when he charges his forward B.

Shök

Smash Champion
So does Falco's...

but they're all weak against...

FALCOWN PUANCH

And ganondorf's

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom