• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
course, all medanite does is flie around!!11111eleven!111!!
guise we shoudl get back on topic, i believe captain flagon is bottom

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Overswarm is in the same position as Anther really. He has won two tournament with less than 30 people. He certainly does not make up the majority over ROB's score considering ROB has reared his head over 20 times in the summer tournaments.

Also Sethlon isn't the only one spear heading Falco's position either. Both ROB and Falco do well in multiple hands not just the greats.

Look at Falcon's position. Often considered the worst character in the game yet RoyR came in Second with him. How can you say that is an accurate representation?

Not including Critical hit, Azen has given Lucario almos, if not more,t 100 points. Overswarm has only given ROB 40 points.
I got 3rd in my first ever tournament, 2nd in my 2nd, and the last 10 I've gotten first. They just haven't all been put on the list because some of them were before his start date.

Dpete

Carnifex
3DS FC
0834-1794-6801
Really its not that clear yet. It obviously has stalling potential, but then again so do infinites and they aren't banned. Only time will tell. Until we get official word, I do agree that we should drop it.

So Top Tier is obviously Snake and MK. Personally I think they are so far ahead of the rest of the cast they are the only ones who deserve to be there. Some may argue GaW or DDD belong there with them...

WITH

Smash Apprentice
Yet again I have re-edited my tier list its more accurate (in my opinion) because of the separation of half the roster being in Mid tier please tell me if you think people should be moved around and if so give a good reason why.

- Snake
- Meta Knight

High
- Wario
- Mr. Game & Watch
- Marth
- Falco
- King Dedede
- R.O.B
- Luigi

High Mid
- Toon Link
- Wolf
- Mario
- DK
- Olimar
- Lucas
- Jigglypuff
(Jigglypuff and DK could mid or high mid)

Mid
- Pikachu
- Ike
- Pit
- Diddy Kong
- Kirby
- Zelda
- Ice Climbers
- Ness
- Peach
(Zelda and Peach could be Low Mid or Mid)

Low Mid
- Lucario
- Zero Suit Samus
- Fox
- Shiek
- Pokemon Trainer
(Pokemon Trainer would be better of separated making it easier to judge)

Low
- Yoshi
- Captain Falcon
- Samus
- Link
- Ganondorf
- Sonic

Bottom
- Bowser
you have no clue...BOWSER??? BOWSER is the worst in the game? lololololololololol stop posting lists.

Jibbles

Smash Apprentice
@The huge tier list
Wario is not above G&W and Marth
Jigglypuff is not high mid
Lucario is not low mid
Bowser is not bottom.
Fox is not low mid

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
MK is a fairly close second, but just because ROB is virtually his only negative matchup, doesnt make him a better character.
Actually, it's not his only, there are a couple of others which seem to be negative.

Actually, it's probably MK's fault that snake is doing so well, because MK is a char that can be played at a pretty high level with relative ease AND has advantages over the vast majority of the cast.

Snake has good match-ups overall, and is a good character, but... MK clears the field for him. Only DK has an advantage vs. both and he generally gets eliminated early because his advantages aren't good enough overall.

So really, the reason why Snake places so well is primarily his MK advantage, MK acts like Sheik did, a field-clearer. Only, MK is better at it...

Not that I'm suggesting that we do, but if we ban MK, I somehow doubt that Snake's results will be so spectacular.

Dpete

Carnifex
3DS FC
0834-1794-6801
I agree that some of Snake's wins are definitely at the expense of MK, but it is still pretty clear that he is a great character. He would still be Top Tier if MK wasn't so good IMO.

cutter

Smash Champion
Snake is already amazing to begin with. The fact that he can beat up on Metaknight (to which characters can even claim that) is just another big plus that makes him insanely popular.

Even if DK has good matchups against Snake and MK, he's as good as dead if DDD grabs him. Rock paper scissors ftw.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Snake is already amazing to begin with. The fact that he can beat up on Metaknight (to which characters can even claim that) is just another big plus that makes him insanely popular.

Even if DK has good matchups against Snake and MK, he's as good as dead if DDD grabs him. Rock paper scissors ftw.
Exactly, DDD is too popular, otherwise he'd get the same effect. If he didn't have so many popular counters, he'd probably be top tier.

yeah it probably won't be banned, so lets just ban MK and it will solve all of our problems.
Rising pound?

Peach Bomber infinite stall?

So with MK's new AT, is he truly broken? God tier? I kinda doubt it, but does he move above Snake now?
invulnerable for an infinite period of time...

Yes, if the move is legal, not only is it a great approach, it also means that at any point, if you have 1 more damage then mk, or one less stock, he can use this technique, stall out the rest of the match, and win.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
IMO The only reason Snake is doing so well is because the other really popular tourney character is MK, who JUST so happens to lose against Snake, despite having better overall matchups.

Snake SUFFERS against projectile spam, having a laggy air game, and a recovery that is easy to spike. He is also one of the most easily chaingrabbed characters in Brawl. A combination of these factors make his bad matchups Falco, DDD, ICs, Pikachu, and even Wolf. I also hear R.O.B. has the advantage on him....

MK however generally has the advantage on those characters. There are only two matchups out of his favor. Snake, and G&W, moreso Snake.

2 bad matchups >>> 6 bad matchups.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
Jigglypuff seems pretty good in Brawl.
jigglypuff is terrible. her down b is no longer very useful. her wall of pain is no longer effective. she is the third worst character in the game in my opinion.

i think the second worst is captain falcon. remember his knee? it's harder to do and can easily be survived. his up b doesn't send him as high anymore. his side b requires more accuracy. he is slower.

ganondorf is the worst. he is slower than captain falcon and harder to hit someone with. slower characters are always worse. they don't recover from attacks as easily and their attacks are easy to dodge. a fast character can land multiple combos on a slow character and the slow one won't be able to easily fight back. in melee, however, slow characters have the wavedash to dodge attacks and make them faster. too bad they tool that out in brawl.

in general, slow characters are never good, except king dedede with his waddle dee throw and drill hammer attacks.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
By the way, Snake is technically a slow character, but he's one of the best in Brawl just because his ground game happens to be ridiculous.

The reason why he's not THE BEST? Because he suffers from projectile spam, his air game is awful, and his recovery can be easily spiked.

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
I love Puff T_T She's indeed not nearly as good as before, but I hope she doesn't end being the worst character in the game (not like I'd care, but anyway).

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
links not too too bad and i think people underestimate fox.

who thinks g&w should be the first in high tier followed by ddd, olimar, marth

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
Edgeguarding Olimar is way easier than edgeguarding Ike, at least for me.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Edgeguarding Olimar is way easier than edgeguarding Ike, at least for me.
Edgehog or Edgegaurd? Edgehogging Ike is easy for Link. When the Aether starts hitting you, you have 3 chances to tether back to the ledge to continue the edgehog. Quite effective, really. Just hit Z a lot.

(lol so irrelevant to whats going on)

SketchHurricane

Smash Ace
I think we can all agree on top tier

Azen
Final Destination

Azen is filled with misconceptions. Some have this idea that Azen is a player and not a character. Then there are those that think Azen is the random character selection. Azen is more than that though. Azen is being good with all characters and winning with them but unlike the random button you stick with one character throughout the entire tournament. So say the little icon in your character profile says you main ROB. You go to a tournament and everyone thinks that you will use ROB, but instead you use Ike the whole time and you win. Then some guy says, "WTF your ROB mainer." You reply, "No, I play Azen." Then next week you come in using Marth this time and everyone expects you to play Ike like last week. Then they are all like "WTF you play Ike." Thus you reply, "No, I play Azen."

Now choosing your character of the day is sometimes a difficult task. Some people can just feel a certain character on a certain day. "Yeah today feels like Sonic. Others choose by a day system in which each day represents a character. You know Mario, Monday, Toon Link Tuesday, Wario Wednesday and so on. Others just use random number generators to help them decide.

Next we have Final Destination. It is certainly pretty impressive character. No real flaws and it can gimp almost any character even if they are at zero percent. That surely is an amazing feat.
I think this needs to be bumped for hilarity. Yeah that's right, I bumped a post. It's that good.

cutter

Smash Champion
I've talked with Silverflash-x and Nigerian Starstorm (aka Longhorn on Gamefaqs) and both of them have constructed the best tier lists so far IMO. They both agree that G&W is a top tier character behind Snake and Metaknight.

EDIT: Found Nigerian Starstorm's tier list:

Top Tier:
Snake <1>
Meta Knight <2>
Mr. Game and Watch <4>

Very High Tier:
Marth <5>
Falco <8>
R.O.B.<7>
King Dedede <3>
Wario <6>
Olimar <10>

High Tier:
Pit <13>
Wolf <12>
Pikachu <21>
Toon Link <23>
Lucario <9>
Zelda <18>
Donkey Kong <11>
Fox <14>

Mid Tier:
Ice Climbers<15>
Diddy Kong <20>
Kirby <16>
Luigi <27>
Lucas <30>
Ness <17>
ZSS <19>

Low tier :
Ike <28>
Peach <22>
Mario <29>
Pokemon Trainer <34>
Bowser <26>
Sonic <24>
Sheik <35>

Bottom Tier:
Link <33>
Samus <25>
Ganondorf <Unranked>
Yoshi <36> (Holy **** finally!)
Jigglypuff <31>
*SPACE*
Captain Falcon <35>

The numbers correspond to Ankoku's character rankings (might be a bit outdated on that since this was posted like a couple of days ago)

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
TOP:

Snake
Meta Knight
Mr. Game & Watch
Marth
Falco
R.O.B

HIGH:

King Dedede
Captian Olimar
Toon Link
Pikachu
Ice Climbers
Pit
Kirby
Donkey Kong
Wario
Wolf

MIDDLE:

Zelda
Fox
Diddy Kong
Lucario
Lucas
Luigi
Zero Suit Samus
Bowser
Ness
Yoshi
Mario

LOW:

Peach
Sonic
Ike
Pokemon Trainer
Shiek
Link

BOTTOM:

Samus
Ganondorf
Jigglypuff
Captain Falcon

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
TOP:

Snake
Meta Knight
Mr. Game & Watch
Marth
Falco
R.O.B

HIGH:

King Dedede
Captian Olimar
Toon Link
Pikachu
Ice Climbers
Pit
Kirby
Donkey Kong
Wario
Wolf

MIDDLE:

Zelda
Fox
Diddy Kong
Lucario
Lucas
Luigi
Zero Suit Samus
Bowser
Ness
Yoshi
Mario

LOW:

Peach
Ike
Pokemon Trainer
Shiek
Sonic
Link

BOTTOM:

Samus
Ganondorf
Jigglypuff
Captain Falcon
hey cool, u put Yoshi in low Mid, the highest I've seen or remember :) you're a Yoshi main though so I guess that's different. And I like your list :)

Top Tier:
Snake <1>
Meta Knight <2>
Mr. Game and Watch <4>

Very High Tier:
Marth <5>
Falco <8>
R.O.B.<7>
King Dedede <3>
Wario <6>
Olimar <10>

High Tier:
Pit <13>
Wolf <12>
Pikachu <21>
Toon Link <23>
Lucario <9>
Zelda <18>
Donkey Kong <11>
Fox <14>

Mid Tier:
Ice Climbers<15>
Diddy Kong <20>
Kirby <16>
Luigi <27>
Lucas <30>
Ness <17>
ZSS <19>

Low tier :
Ike <28>
Peach <22>
Mario <29>
Pokemon Trainer <34>
Bowser <26>
Sonic <24>
Sheik <35>

Bottom Tier:
Link <33>
Samus <25>
Ganondorf <Unranked>
Yoshi <36> (Holy **** finally!)
Jigglypuff <31>
*SPACE*
Captain Falcon <35>

The numbers correspond to Ankoku's character rankings (might be a bit outdated on that since this was posted like a couple of days ago)
I agree with this list too.

AgentAO

Smash Journeyman
snip for page streching
Too many people in your top, tiers are supposed to be seperated by difference in ability, not just put evenly. If anything, only G&W deserves being up there with Snake and Metaknight, and that's arguable.

And Yoshi isn't mid, and if he's mid, then Sonic is DEFINATELY not the bottom of low.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
I got 3rd in my first ever tournament, 2nd in my 2nd, and the last 10 I've gotten first. They just haven't all been put on the list because some of them were before his start date.
Well I was looking at the summer results when I came up with the numbers. I am sure if I included the spring all the top players numbers would be way higher for their main. I am just saying you don't skew the result as much as others. I know you are one of, if not the best, ROB in the country.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Until we get an official ban on this new tech

God tier:

MK

Tier with 99-1 match-ups against MK:

Everyone else

Seriously, MK's infinite dimensional cape is that good, it's an approach that demands you react to what MK is going to do before he does it and at precisely the right time.

It's also an infinite stall...

Snake, DK, nobody has a reasonable counter to this move, and as long as it's legal, mk is the only tournament viable character.

God tier:

MK

Tier with 99-1 match-ups against MK:

Everyone else

Seriously, MK's infinite dimensional cape is that good, it's an approach that demands you react to what MK is going to do before he does it and at precisely the right time.

It's also an infinite stall...

Snake, DK, nobody has a reasonable counter to this move, and as long as it's legal, mk is the only tournament viable character.
That is why it will be BANNED. When it completely destroy the balance of the game and turns it into "Use this character or lose".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom