• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official BBR Tier List v7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
warios mobility, combined with his ability to dish damage, ko easi-sh, great recovery and weight make him as good as he is. wolf yoshi and jiggs do not have those attrbutes.
I'd say :wolf: has a safer moveset then :wario: overall and kills well/dishes damage easily too. He does not kill as well as :wario: and is not as heavy, but still heavy to some degree. :wolf:'s recovery may not be amazing, but it's highly versatile and can be more unpredictable then :wario:'s linear type recovery.

:018:

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Wolf has one of the most predictable and punishable recoveries in the game. All spacies do

Since Snake controls the stage ~75% of the time you it works virtually all the time.

:059:
Keep rolling away and eventually you'll reach the edge of the stage

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Wolf's recovery is pretty good, you have to be pretty on point to guess if he's going on the stage or going for the ledge to try to interrupt it.

Wario can recover from pretty much anywhere, high or low and has pretty decent options to get back to the stage so long as he doesn't have to up B.

I think.

I am also unsure if Wolf's moveset is safer than Wario's. They seem pretty similar.

Iota

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2852-7054-7732
Wolf has a safer bair and fair. His dair, Nair, and uair are not as safe as ours. Wolf's ground move set is mostly safer than ours outside of f-smash. :happysheep:

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I'd say :wolf: has a safer moveset then :wario: overall and kills well/dishes damage easily too. He does not kill as well as :wario: and is not as heavy, but still heavy to some degree. :wolf:'s recovery may not be amazing, but it's highly versatile and can be more unpredictable then :wario:'s linear type recovery.

:018:
Hey I'm curious, how exactly does Wolf recover well? It's common among new players to think Wolf has one of the worst recoveries in the game, but I would for once like to hear why it's actually not bad.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Does anyone have any idea or educated guesses on how Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard would fair on the tier list if they were independent characters?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
No, he would still be bad. Super lightweight with a crappy recovery and grab release issues isn't fun.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
No, he would still be bad. Super lightweight with a crappy recovery and grab release issues isn't fun.
Who's to say his new downB couldn't help him recover? We have a few characters that use downB to recover currently. =)

GR stuff wouldn't be fun but even good characters suffer from it... it's still possible to be fine whilst having GR issues (unless every character does it to him?)

Lightweight could be an issue though in a bunch of MUs. But it's not... hideous.

I dunno, I just see him as okay... could just be me.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Okay means bad in this game unfortunately. A few pages ago I compared Squirtle to Peach and I think that's a pretty fair comparison. Good, but not good enough.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Okay means bad in this game unfortunately. A few pages ago I compared Squirtle to Peach and I think that's a pretty fair comparison. Good, but not good enough.
Wasn't ZSS 'okay' until Salem proved otherwise? :p

But ehh, i'm just being pedantic, I see your point and it's valid.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I think ZSS was considered good before Salem was even heard of, but yeah Squirtle is really overrated.

Bobwithlobsters

Smash Journeyman
If I remember correctly from a certain ddd "researcher" I'm certain everyone remembers, ddd can chain grab release across the stage to set up an edge guard.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
What exactly are squirtle's GR issues, out of curiosity?

This could apply to most chars in general: I know i'm ignorant and centered on my chars to a large degree but why is it that I hear of the PK kids' 'infamous' 10 extra frames of GR and very little else to start off with?

I mean, Wario has his air release issues on GR but I never hear frame talk of it... same with ZSS's CG on MK or squirtle's CG problems or Link's and so on. :?

So what is the actual data for everyone's GRs? What determines exactly if a character can be Cged/has GR issues? Is it always frames or can it just be purely positional?

Sorry, I know i'm silly and know nothing on the subject... :(

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Everyone except Puff has the same air release frame data. It's all about the distance, Wario is sent basically nowhere which is why you can release him so well.

Edit: Shaya actually said it 10 times better than I did.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
This is something you could look up.. you know... character frame data... ?

Every air release gives the grabber 29 frames of lag (some exceptions), and the released character 59 frames of lag (one? exception maybe?). In other words +20 frame advantage. Character's abilities to do things is based on their air release animation and the moveset of the grabber, and whether or not they can force an air release (taller character). Not many people are aware that its not only Wario/Squirtle with terrible air release animations. They're just the only characters with terrible air release animations that are short.

Sheik's air release animation is identical to Squirtles. So is Fox's IIRC. Ness/Lucas also have very similar (but not as bad) air release animations. I'm sure there are tons of characters with bad animations. If you grab Sheik at a ledge, most people aren't aware they can basically end her stock (anyone with a spike).

Snake actually gets air releases on some (more) characters and he can dash attack basically every single one of them. Actually, he can basically dash attack every character he air releases in the game except himself (Snake has some bogus air release animation like he just wavedashed in the air). Marth has dancing blade on nearly every air release animation (bar snake :V), and fair on a smaller subset. Other characters would have similar things.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558

Every air release gives the grabber 29 frames of lag (some exceptions), and the released character 59 frames of lag (one? exception maybe?). In other words +20 frame advantage. Character's abilities to do things is based on their air release animation and the moveset of the grabber, and whether or not they can force an air release (taller character). Not many people are aware that its not only Wario/Squirtle with terrible air release animations. They're just the only characters with terrible air release animations that are short.

Sheik's air release animation is identical to Squirtles. So is Fox's IIRC. Ness/Lucas also have very similar (but not as bad) air release animations. I'm sure there are tons of characters with bad animations. If you grab Sheik at a ledge, most people aren't aware they can basically end her stock (anyone with a spike).
Yea i'm sorry, I was just interested in a general statement and it is kinda relevant in some regard as to determining character viabilty (I guess?) so I thought here was as good a place to look as any. :/

Umm, it won't happen again... well at least on this subject. :p

*takes notes*

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Sonic gets free aerials, up smashes and regrabs on the majority of the cast out of air releases.

Im not sure, but I think you can do that thing where you dash dance than c stick to give you f smash more range. I think he can do that to get a gauranteed f smash on squirtles air release.

Dekillsage

Smash Lord

Snake actually gets air releases on some (more) characters and he can dash attack basically every single one of them. Actually, he can basically dash attack every character he air releases in the game except himself (Snake has some bogus air release animation like he just wavedashed in the air). Marth has dancing blade on nearly every air release animation (bar snake :V), and fair on a smaller subset. Other characters would have similar things.
I know snake can dash attack falco and metaknight off or gr, but the others I'm not so sure. I know everyone is in a ton of lag but some people air release too high don't they? Guess I'll check next time I feel like going to training mode

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Wrote a long *** essay just to have this website delete it for the 2nd time for no reason >_>
I always copy the text before I submit it, just in case something stupid happens. If there's a chance I may forget I have something copied, I open MS Word so I can copy multiple things to the MS Clipboard. I also lost a post to SWF yesterday. :mad:

Tldr: Snake is faster than dk in every way except jumping and uair, bair walls don't work, dash attack punishes all landings except charged punch which doesn't have to be challenged, grenades body dk free and none of dks moves mid range except handslap matter(this move probably sucks too. Never bothered to learn how to punish or avoid it properly.)
DK's fair (also smashes) is faster than yours too, isn't it? :smirk: Charged punch may not have to be challenged, but do you know what the point of a deterrent is? DK doesn't have to throw it out until he feels that you're actually going to try to punish his landing? It's been this way since '64, bro. You can just write off ANY deterrent as 'well, I don't have to challenge it,' but then the deterrent is actually doing its job of shaping your actions the way the deterrer wants. :smash:

Everything else snake does is universal to all the heavies. He's getting juggled and not getting to play at all.
This is where I become a little skeptical of your post, seeing as how DK is very distinguishable from other heavies in that he doesn't get juggled that hard. He has the aerial mobility, the aerials, the PAWNCH, and other specials (sideB and upB) to switch up his momentum and/or carry him to safety. He's also one of Brawl's faster fallers.

It sounds like you don't know anything about DK. He has a really good airspeed and mobility with a great bair and uair, what do you mean by handslap? DownB? I'd consider that move useful as it counters everything Snake can do on the ground. Seriously, don't underestimated DK, he is a beast.
Yes, Hand Slap is DownB. Every time I'm referring to that move, I wanna abbreviate it with EQ for Earthquake, thanks to Pokemon, but then I'm afraid no one will get what EQ means, although 'Quake might be obvious enough... :ohwell: Yeah, I agree. Between Charged Punch and Hand Slap, DK can really limit what Snake can do, and he doesn't necessarily have to worry about grenades either. With his airspeed, both horizontal and vertical, I don't think he's being juggled or trapped easily.

Played will enough to understand that DK is limited and sucks and can't land and can't touch snake for **** without hard reading. Bair sucks vs snake, I never said uair was bad, down B is okay.

I'm 1-2 with Will in tournament and lost to anti's/nairo's Dk. I'm not underestimating the character, I know fully what he's capable of. I also understand that the mu played correctly its close to impossible for dk to win even if he has a lot of good things going for him in the mu. Just never let DK do what he's good at which is really easy for snake to do. Done.
There are so many contradictory things bundled up into two small paragraphs here... (-_-) You're supposed to be this "really good high-level Snake" (not necessarily according to you), but not only do you have a losing record to Will and lose to Nairo's DK, you also lose to Anti's pocket DK. Yet you still somehow firmly believe that Snake trashes DK. This isn't even "staying true to your past experiences" as Jabejazz was saying; this is just feeling your character is superior to practically everything and everyone that isn't MK. You think Snake is #2 in the game. You think he beats DDD. You think he doesn't lose to anyone that isn't MK. You think that he obliterates DK. In all of these beliefs of yours, there isn't a shred of evidence to back up your claims, I'm afraid.

Let's forget all of that for a second and just focus on this post. You "played Will enough to understand that DK is limited and sucks and can't land and can't touch snake for **** without hard reading." Are you sure this is from your past experiences and isn't just Will talking or something? You say that when the MU is "played correctly its close to impossible for dk to win even if he has a lot of good things going for him in the mu." You have access to so many GREAT DKs (Will, Nairo, and I guess Anti), yet somehow, you either still aren't playing the MU correctly or what you say is just false, probably the latter since you claim "[you] know fully what [DK's] capable of." Do you know that you just described a -3 MU? How the heck do your experiences support this? :glare:

His grab is 8 frames lol
His spacing doesn't let him get in. Grenades are there >_>
Landing is landing. He will get hit no matter what.
Wth? Seriousy? An 8-frame grab is only a frame or two slower than most of the cast's 6 and 7 frame grabs. This is HARDLY consequential when you remember that DK has the fourth largest non-tether grab in the game. Oh, and guess what? SNAKE'S GRAB IS ALSO 8 FRAMES! So in this specific MU that we're talking about, it doesn't matter. :smash: DK's grab out-ranges Snake's and since they're both the same speed, all I care about is having you in my effective range bubble before I'm in yours, allowing me to be able to act first and thus have even more of an advantage at mid-range. In fact, DK's running grab is a frame faster than Snake's (although his pivot grab is a frame slower).

Spacing lets me get in because, as I JUST established, DK's grab is a major part of his spacing game. It lets DK circumvent Snake's 'nades, and since DK's outranges Snake's, Snake has to play around DK's grab and not the other way around. Also Hand Slap and Giant Punch.
Yes, landing is landing. Not landing is also NOT landing, and landing mix-ups are.....well, you get the point, I hope. SideB, upB, and nB specifically make it so that DK will NOT "get hit no matter what". Not only that, a successful hit-confirmation of sideB can lead to death. Neutral B WILL lead to death half the time if it hits. :skull:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
dk is the one matchup where snake has to regularly worry about dying under 100 while at the same time not being able to kill until 150 at the earliest.

its still close because nades and damage per hit are both big pluses for snake.

also everyone needs to stop pulling the Dark Peach card and acting like your characters major weaknesses no longer apply to them.

all you people talking about DK doesnt get juggled, are like me saying that sonic totally doesnt get outprioritised by snake on everything.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Actually, he can basically dash attack every character he air releases in the game except himself (Snake has some bogus air release animation like he just wavedashed in the air). Marth has dancing blade on nearly every air release animation (bar snake :V), and fair on a smaller subset. Other characters would have similar things.
Idk what game you're playing but he definitely can't dash attack Jiggs or Olimar out of air release XD

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Lol at DK not getting juggled. He gets juggled harder than DDD that's for sure
A smart DDD actually doesn't get juggled that hard. Between multiple aerial jumps, the fastest FF in the game, a super disjointed dair, an equally disgusting bair, a decent nair to land with, and Inhale (allowing a few B-reverse shenanigans that Coney honestly only opened the door to), we have a bunch of good tools for getting down. The problem is that a lot of players make bad calls, like landing with dair's landing lag when the move should be AC'd, Inhaling in sub-optimal situations, using DDD's jumps and FFing in a very predictable manner, etc.

Serious question: How good is DK's B-reversed nB charge cancel? If it's good, it would rival and actually surpass what Snake can do here:
Don't say he doesn't move far when characters in the cast wished they had the mobility option to change their direction that quickly. And Snake can do it 3 different times if he has C4.
I mean, he could just continually B-reverse the charge cancels, like, 10 different times in one span of airtime.

Neon!

Smash Lord
What's all this talk of DK vs snake? Its a -1 matchup (45-55 or 40-60 at worst)

Snake does not hard counter DK by any means.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
So you said this
This is where I become a little skeptical of your post, seeing as how DK is very distinguishable from other heavies in that he doesn't get juggled that hard.
I responded with this
Lol at DK not getting juggled. He gets juggled harder than DDD that's for sure
And then you respond telling me how good DDD is at avoiding juggles
...........?

You can't b-reverse the charge, just the punch itself.
Also you lose aerial momentum while charging so even if he could b-reverse the charge like 10 times to land, it'd be a terrible idea.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
My point is that DK is distinguishable from many heavies (Ganon, Bowser, Snake, Ike, etc) in that he doesn't get juggled THAT hard. I posted the tools at his disposal in order to do so. This was directly in response to Dekill's statement, "Everything else snake does is universal to all the heavies. He's getting juggled and not getting to play at all," because DK isn't 'universally' like the other heavies at all. He's probably one of the fastest/most mobile heavyweights in Smash, which is very strange given his other status as one of the heaviest heavyweights in Smash. You can't just write him off and say that things that 'universally' work on heavyweights work on DK as well.

DDD really isn't juggled that hard either, although people like to say he is and I just play along 'cause I don't feel like arguing that topic.

Edit: My point also was that being juggled harder than DDD doesn't necessarily equate to being juggled hard. I said that DK isn't juggled that hard and you responded 'Lol, he's juggled harder than DDD' as if that was an opposing response. My reply was simply meant to infer that what you said might not actually mean anything contextually.

Remember how I made it a point to to only bring in videos from at most, more or less, 1.5 years ago? This video is from 3 years ago. Will has been making MAJOR improvements in just the past year alone and Will is also a much better DK than Cable. That's all I'm going to say in regards to this.

I'm very aware of that jebus. Side B will eat my shield, but in that positioning snake can and should always roll away. Dk only kills snake at low %'s with a read -> guaranteed spike. Otherwise I'll die at around 110%+(low for snake. Def not anything ridiculous tho)
You mean to tell me that DK can't kill Snake below 100% with a Punch hard read? That doesn't seem right. DDD definitely can with an uncharged fsmash super hard read, and I feel that DK's punch is even stronger than that, but maybe I'm overestimating the punch a little. :ohwell:

Dk suffers more than d3 when it comes to playing @ neutral and getting things started. It's the reason why I think its 65-35. We can legit not let Dk play, we can't do that to ddd. I'm not denying dk's strengths but every character has strengths. What matters is if Dk can reliable get his stuff started.... but he can't. He has no way of doing so without making a read. And even if he makes the read proper grenade spacing will get snake out of grab situations(port make this even better for snake).
It's like DK can't just pick you up and jump out of the immediate vicinity with you. :rotfl: DDD doesn't have DK's mobility. Nor does his ftilt kill like that punch does. If you're grenade camping all day, it shouldn't be a problem to easily charge another one whenever I expend it. Also, as I said before, winning at neutral does not equal winning the whole MU. If a couple reads at neutral can accomplish what it took you several reads and a lot of time to do (taking a stock, that is), then the neutral game is 'overriden', so to speak.

Back to grab stuff, DK can quickly throw Snake into an advantageous position before the 'nade messes things up. DDDs do this easily enough with u/f/bthrow. DK can do it with uthrow (puts Snake above DK for juggling) and bthrow (kills). Ooor, as I was touching upon at the start of the previous paragraph, he has his cargo throws. Quickly jump/walk out of there and throw you. He could cargo uthrow you for juggles, cargo f/bthrow for getting you offstage and/or stage-spiking you, or cargo dthrow you offstage to set up edgeguard situations (fair spikes?). :smash:

I don't know how to beat down b. I haven't bothered to learn how. I do know that it can't even be used to catch snakes landings though.
How the heck is that (kinda serious question here)? The downB makes a bunch of hitboxes along the ground. Snake lands and suffers landing lag (meaning he CAN'T shield before the downB hits him if he does indeed land). Landing caught. Problem? :smirk:

Just shield it, then roll away. DK's down B is only a threat to Snake if he spotdodges, which is pretty superfluous against DK in the first place.

:059:
From what I've observed (could be wrong, mostly, but this is what I've seen the times I've watched this MU), DK can just selectively use it when he has Snake trapped on the ledge. There's nowhere to roll to. It's even worse if Snake somehow manages to end up knocked down in that situation 'cause then DK has his own little 'Buuman trap'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom