• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official BBR Tier List v7

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
In this case, turnaround grabs are probably better than pivot grabbing.

Edit: Actually, now I'm convinced that Dekillsage is incorrect. A pivot grab requires a dash forwards before the reverse grab. If you're inputting backwards for the bthrow, then how is Nana receiving the inputs for a pivot grab? :smash: If you just tilt for your throws, Nana should just turn around and walk. Trips are probably the result of anxiety and hastiness while executing the infinites.

she's pivot grabbing
I thought she was just turnaround grabbing. It's faster and range doesn't matter. :confused:

Sometimes a single directional input of a certain length/speed will cause Popo to walk and Nana to dash (I know you can desynch this way). However I'm pretty sure it's possible to do tripless CGs including bthrow.
I know for sure that there are tripless CGs, I just don't know if any include bthrow.

(Yes Nana needs to dash in order to trip)
Other than the solo dthrow CG, I was under the impression that EVERY CG could be trip-less. :ohwell: Also, avoiding that "certain length/speed" should be easy if you only nudge the stick a very short distance away from neutral. No matter how fast you 'mash' it, you should always get a tilt input. I know for a fact that I never tripped while doing the dthrow infinite except for the complex, self-inflicted pivot grab part (:p). I always make sure that both Popo and Nana walk.

Besides, if the problem is Nana, you can just d/fthrow with Popo and bthrow with Nana.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Bubbaking, please stop posting about Ice Climbers and go read a thread because this info has been all known since 2010/2011

For your information:
There's a thread in the IC Forum for the solo dthrow CG percentages for EVERY character if you look in the directory
There's a thread on how to tripless CG if you look in the directory

Most CGs that the Top ICs use are not tripless. The only ICs that I see really integrate that stuff into their game have been primarily myself almost exclusively (since I discovered the modern ones), as well as 9B and Esam on certain characters. If you have to bthrow with popo to grab with Nana, there are two types of Bthrow transfers: hard turn and soft turn. If you hard turn, Nana dashes and then pivot grabs out of sync mechanics. If you soft turn, it's possible to do it where the game turns Nana around for you while you walk backwards, but on light characters there's an issue when you try to soft turn a CG due to sync mechanics where Nana randomly spins in circles and you have a 50/50 chance that she'll grab in the wrong direction. There's a way to do it out of a Nana Fthrow > Popo Bthrow, but it involves complicated buffering. The only IC that's done that at a high level was Myo, and he notified me it wasn't intentional and he didn't even know he was doing it that way.

The trips are the result of ICs choosing to do the less precise PBthrow > NDthrow because it's been practiced so much and the spacing is pretty idiot proof. The rest of the tripless CGs requires committing to using a different throw sequence, so it's not just a case of being hasty or anxiety.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Bubbaking, please stop posting about Ice Climbers and go read a thread because this info has been all known since 2010/2011

For your information:
There's a thread in the IC Forum for the solo dthrow CG percentages for EVERY character if you look in the directory
There's a thread on how to tripless CG if you look in the directory

Most CGs that the Top ICs use are not tripless. The only ICs that I see really integrate that stuff into their game have been primarily myself almost exclusively (since I discovered the modern ones), as well as 9B and Esam on certain characters. If you have to bthrow with popo to grab with Nana, there are two types of Bthrow transfers: hard turn and soft turn. If you hard turn, Nana dashes and then pivot grabs out of sync mechanics. If you soft turn, it's possible to do it where the game turns Nana around for you while you walk backwards, but on light characters there's an issue when you try to soft turn a CG due to sync mechanics where Nana randomly spins in circles and you have a 50/50 chance that she'll grab in the wrong direction. There's a way to do it out of a Nana Fthrow > Popo Bthrow, but it involves complicated buffering. The only IC that's done that at a high level was Myo, and he notified me it wasn't intentional and he didn't even know he was doing it that way.

The trips are the result of ICs choosing to do the less precise PBthrow > NDthrow because it's been practiced so much and the spacing is pretty idiot proof. The rest of the tripless CGs requires committing to using a different throw sequence, so it's not just a case of being hasty or anxiety.
Hey DeLux, what's your problem? :glare: It was quite clear that I wasn't the only one who was a little confused about the ICs' CG mechanics. Yes, I suspected that Sopo can solo dthrow CG every character. I just said "most" so that I didn't end up making an inaccurate claim. Apparently I was correct. Also, you never addressed my postulation that Popo can just dthrow and Nana can just bthrow. How is the dthrow CG not tripless? I always manage to make Nana walk when I do that one. The same question goes for the fthrow CG if you don't smash the stick.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
The dthrow variation of my Fthrow > Bthrow has been known for over a year now since it was documented as part of my thread for tripless CGs back in early 2011. It's been put into use on certain characters that have bad fthrow spacing but good bthrow spacing (ie MK) by 9B in particular

As I mentioned in my post, people opt for the PBthrow > N dtthrow since the spacing is pretty idiot proof. It takes specific spacing to do the tripless variants. It has nothing to do with hastiness

I specifically addressed you because you were the only one trying to post things that were incorrect as a means of correcting someone else (DeKillsage in this case) where you said every CG could be tripless. It's not the case and I corrected it with all the contextual information

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
That was my secret lingo for "the new tier list better not still have olimar as #2."

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Sorry I'm late, but I just wanna throw my perennially stalwart opinion in that Ganon is worse than Zelda. The only reason one ever sees Ganon succeed is either by virtue of (near) perfect play, or the other player being ignorant in the MU. Marth is a good example. When a Marth doesn't know about his CGs on Ganon, Ganon stands a roughly 30% chance of winning. When he does know about them, it reduces to about 10%. When I fought Bladewise in tournament a few months ago, I ended up winning, but he didn't know the CG, and truth be told, if he did, I don't think that my play was exceptional enough to agree with that quantic margin of error and likely would've lost.

That being said, Ganon can look a lot nastier than he may actually be. That video Bubba posted demonstrates nicely that Ganon can make freakish comebacks. At the same time, it's also very misleading, I think. That is to say, that his power is almost a gimmick. He's as low as he is for the same reason I feel Seth is not a top 5 character in AE: variable efficacy a strength does not make. Ganon's power always seems to be a factor of consideration in his place on the tier list, until someone bothers with the MU and discovers that literally not approaching is the operative tenet of the MU. Even I myself sometimes walk away from a win feeling euphoric enough to question whether or not Ganon's truly as bad as most think, but once I come against an opponent who knows how to abuse the MU, I swiftly become sober and realize that if someone knows the gimmicks, it becomes a game of fundamentals, which it isn't poorly-understood that Ganon has none of.

Briefly, Ganon's strength makes him look good in choice scenarios, but he has no options that are independently good, whereas characters like Zelda, Falcon and Samus do. The only character I'd honestly be able to realistically entertain the notion of being behind Ganon is Jiggles.

Also, to drive the point home about variable strengths, Youtube Infilitration vs. Poongko for you AE players. People get all worked up over how Seth's mix-ups are impossible to deal with, then we see Infiltration learn the MU and consistently stuff Poongko. In particular, there's a match from the SF 25th qualifier where Poongko fights him, and barely uses ANY mix-ups, and is reduced to the fundamentals which Seth is so lacking...and naturally loses.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Zelda has answers to moves, Ganon does not.
Zelda marginally wins certain MUs, Ganon does not.
imo Zelda is actually fairly underrated (not talking like sleeper mid-tier, but bottom of low).

Though w/e, i hold that jiggz is the worst character in the game pretty stalwartly.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Funny story: While I was dabbling with the ICs a couple years ago, because I couldn't bthrow CG, I figured out how to dthrow with Nana while making Popo run past her and pivot grab the opponent so I could turn around. Completely inferior to the bthrow CG, but it worked. :laugh:

Edit: Actually, the dthrow CG was the ONLY CG I could perform competently at all. :p
Ha, I found that out rather recently myself. It's not very practical but man it would totally be adding insult to injury if you actually used it in tournament play. :p

@Shaya: Why Shaya why? :(

@verm: I respect ganon as a character (I always will, after being surprised so many times by good ganons...) but I can see what you're saying. I myself see zelda as slightly under-rated but I accepted a while ago that i didn't know enough about her to judge. However, i've been playing more of her recently and just the other day I got bodied by a half-way decent online zelda main (pooketard, he often hangs around the arena) so I think I could see her up a little.

I honestly don't know who's at the absolute bottom of the tier list... I believe the argument will remain there for a long time though.

bubbaking

Smash Hero

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Double post. Over an hour.

That video Bubba posted demonstrates nicely that Ganon can make freakish comebacks. At the same time, it's also very misleading, I think. That is to say, that his power is almost a gimmick. He's as low as he is for the same reason I feel Seth is not a top 5 character in AE: variable efficacy a strength does not make.
You're going to be hard-pressed to convince me that Seth is not a top 5 character in AE (we're talking 2012 patch, right?). In just SSF IV, I would have agreed with you, 'cause that was the age of the charging turtles...

However, it became clear in AE 2012 that mix-ups, especially highly-damaging, offensive ones, are the new dominant force. IMO, Seth proves that low life means nearly nothing in a traditional fighting game as long as the character with it has all the fundamental tools needed to circumvent it and otherwise function as a 'perfect' character. What does Seth not have? He has
  • a good projectile
  • great long-range spacing moves
  • a DP
  • an extremely fast teleport
  • a command grab
  • highly damaging attacks
  • even more highly damaging combos
and MORE! Akuma also has nearly all of those things. Just replace the long-range spacing moves with Demon Flip mix-ups and a great grounded overhead move, the good projectile with several EXTREMELY good projectiles, and the fast teleport with one that gets him out of tight corners (Edit: Almost forgot Raging Demon, lolz! :awesome:). They're both clearly top 5 material, and I'm prone to believe that they're actually the two best characters in the game, despite also being two of the characters with the lowest health in the game (Seth being arguably the better character, despite having the LOWEST health in the game).

Also, to drive the point home about variable strengths, Youtube Infilitration vs. Poongko for you AE players. People get all worked up over how Seth's mix-ups are impossible to deal with, then we see Infiltration learn the MU and consistently stuff Poongko. In particular, there's a match from the SF 25th qualifier where Poongko fights him, and barely uses ANY mix-ups, and is reduced to the fundamentals which Seth is so lacking...and naturally loses.
This just proves that Akuma is (almost) just as good as, or better than, Seth. Infiltration destroyed Evo because he used Akuma's mix-ups combined with that trigger-finger Raging Demon craziness to streamroll everyone. I'm sure that if he had put similar time into developing an on-point Seth, he would have had similar results. Both characters have no life but an incredibly vast number of mix-ups and heavy punishments.

Akuma can advance on you steadily, covering himself, chipping you out, and pushing you back, with well-placed fireballs, and then pin you down in the corner, raining down mix-up after mix-up, many of which can hit-confirm into Raging Demon. Seth can zone with Sonic Booms and well-spaced long-range attacks and then instantly teleport in (under cover of a Boom) with ridiculous mix-ups that land crazy damage. In my eyes, numerous effective mix-ups ARE a "fundamental", in SSF IV: AE 2012 at least. This is why all the charge chars plummeted from Top Tier to High/Mid Tier in the transition over from SSF IV to AE 2012. They severely lack mix-ups, even though they have very strong defensive games (another great fundamental) which were previously rewarded in the more defensive metagame of SSF IV. IMO, the only "fundamental" that Seth (and Akuma) is actually lacking is the ability to win trades. That missing strength is why Poongko personally feels (or at least used to; I don't know about right now) that Seth's worst MU is T.Hawk (arguably the worst character in the game). T.Hawk can just do what he normally does (aim for trades) and win matches, because lolz, most health in the game trading with least health in the game = omega fail. :p

Tl;dr - Mix-ups are why AE 2012's Top Tier is filled with the crazy mix-up powerhouses (Seth, Akuma, Cammy, C.Viper, etc). This
does not win games. :smash: I don't disagree with your points regarding Ganon, though, only the points regarding Seth in AE 2012.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Never said he wasn't top of the top. Just that he has no strengths independent of his mix-ups. 90% of the reason that you'll hear people say they can't get used to Seth is because he has to do some dangerous **** to get in. Akuma has great normals, great zoning and the best walk speed. Cammy has great normals, almost everything is safe even without meter and great walk speed. Seth, on the other hand, has above-average zoning, terrible walk speed, most mix-ups are unsafe without meter and below-average normals. However, he <does> have better mix-ups than all of them, which puts him at a potentially meretricious placement.

So again, back to the point, which is that certain strengths can belie certain weaknesses. In Smash's case, Ganon's strength makes him look better than a few others until met with an opponent versed in the MU. The purpose of citing Infiltration was to demonstrate that Seth, much like Ganon, can operate on shenanigans almost exclusively. The contrast however is that Seth has incredible options, but only after he's woven the web, as it were. As a Seth player, I can firmly testify that Seth is at the top, but he's horribly, horribly inconsistent, which is why not even Poongko wins tournaments anymore.

In relation to Ganon, when someone knows the shenaniganons, Ganon's position becomes lucidly accurate.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Verm, you said that all one has to do is not approach Ganon to shut him down. I feel (from my inexperienced PoV) that the same could be said of Jiggs, and Jiggs has considerably less kill power and survivability. Going by that, I'd say that Jiggs could be seen as a worse char than Ganon. I'm not necessarily arguing that is true or that I believe that, but I'm simply making the case.

Inb4 something terrible happens to me for daring to make such a proposition. :smash:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Jiggs has a few options that allow her to survive in a few more MUs. Pound is a kind of decent thing, it's just it can't kill. None of jigglypuff's kill moves are fast enough to be of much threat to the majority of the cast, unfortunately. That said, in the hands of a good player, that problem suddenly looks like much less of an issue.

Am I anywhere near the money, here? I could totally be wrong...

That said, Ganon has some decent moves himself... they're just, all over the place and happen to be in bad areas. For instance, his throws are kinda nice but he has like, no grab range. He has a good Uair but his jump height, speed and mobility is rather off. Jiggs has a kind of solid air game, albeit with very little range in some areas.

At least, that's how i've always seen it...

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Jigglypuff having trouble KO'ing is a myth. I mean, she's got the shorter end of the stick, but she's still pretty far off Samus, Peach, Diddy, etc... Rest, bthrow at the ledge, and fair are all very reliable.

There are lots of reasons Jigglypuff is better than Ganon, but you can't really compare two characters by just looking at their individual attributes and moves in a vacuum. At the end of the day, Puff has a demonstrably better MU spread for a huge number of reasons, the end.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Jiggs is alot better than Ganondorf, she has mobility, which is one of the most important things in this game. She can actually milk alot out of a lead, which cant be said for ganondorf. If he hits you a few times and gets 50% lead, you always know where to find him.

I am surprised Link has never been ranked higher than he is currently. I constantly see Samus over Link and I still just don't get why. Even bowser or Jiggs for example. Ganon, make sense and so does Zelda. But, I just never saw why link should be this bad.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Verm, you said that all one has to do is not approach Ganon to shut him down. I feel (from my inexperienced PoV) that the same could be said of Jiggs, and Jiggs has considerably less kill power and survivability. Going by that, I'd say that Jiggs could be seen as a worse char than Ganon. I'm not necessarily arguing that is true or that I believe that, but I'm simply making the case.

Inb4 something terrible happens to me for daring to make such a proposition. :smash:
Actually, it's funny you say that, 'cause Jiggs is the only character I've ever been able to envision as worse off than Ganon. Though I'm willing to maintain that Ganon's still slightly behind by virtue of the points Grim made. Jiggs has the ability to weave and recover, which I think make up for the comparatively lacking kill power.

I can't stress it enough though. Ganon's the weirdest character in the game in regard to his position. I feel that he, unlike those above him, has the actual ability to contend with top tier characters, but only under choice circumstances. The tradeoff is though, that while he can contend at a higher level with slightly more ease than the others, his overall odds against the rest of the cast are comparatively inferior, e.g. I think Ganon could handle Snake with MUCH greater ease than Jiggs, but I think Ganon suffers more in general against most other MUs.

Another interesting point is that Ganon's kill power isn't actually stellar in a lot of cases, simply because most of his kill moves double as his utility moves. That is to say, most of the moves he lands to rack up damage are also moves that he'll try to kill with, but by which time will be stale. DA, DAir and UAir are his most viable kill moves, but they're also the ones he uses most to get in. The only times I can recall killing even light characters below 120% or so were from DAir gimmicks, HARD FSmash reads and FAir reads.

M@v

Subarashii!
Jiggs can actually recover and play keepaway. A good jigglypuff player tends to be an extremely boring one to watch and play against.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom