• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official BBR Tier List v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
True. Wolf is doing well locally and regionally. I was looking more towards any gameplay changes rather than results really.

Disagree with the Luigi hate but no one's using him right now.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
It's not hate, I just think it's pretty clear to see that Wolf is better than Luigi is, but that's my opinion.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
If anything, Peach and Luigi should not be above him :c.

His matchups are solid. In mid/low tier all his matchups are even or his favor except Sheik, which is a slight disadvantage. His tourney results have been pretty good (mine, holms, Semifer if Europe is counted, and Kain).

His matchup with Mk is just like Falco and Fox. Just add weight and safe moves on shield+shine. Shine makes his matchup vs Metaknight largely different compared to other characters cause he can replace an airdodge with it, beat nado, and go through SL.

In high tier he loses to Mk, Snake, Diddy, and Falco only slightly (Though I think he is even with Diddy). He also loses to Pikachu, Wario, and D3. The other characters in high tier he should be even with.

So he loses to the top 4 (most do), D3 (a lot do), Sheik (Ftilt is avoidable really easily and the only reason this matchup isn't even or Wolf's favor), Pikachu (Cg is also avoidable), and Wario (Cg is avoidable). Wolf's aerial mobility and ability to space aerials is reminiscent of Wario's, which is the reason any of his "bad" matchups via cg's can be done in matches. It's like Wario vs Falco/D3/Sheik. His ability to move around and space makes his bad matchups not unreasonable to do.

Wolf is a very well rounded character, but his fallspeed and weight are the reason he is where he is in the first place (I wouldn't want him changed though because that'd ruin his basic style of play). He has a very good moveset with aerials that autocancel, are lagless, and safe moves on block. His shine is a godsend and his recovery is average (Not bad, but not amazing). Though scarring is a unique trait that allows him to avoid certain ledge traps other characters cannot.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Thanks, that really helped. I want to see Kain at some nationals.

Ike players are happy enough that we made breakthroughs for our previously perceived bad MUs of Oli and Falco and more MUs are converging to even.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Luigi? Yes. He sucks.

Peach? Arguable.

Frankly, not many people give a **** about Wolf though.

Judo777

Smash Master
My mistake. I must have used the wrong word, but the principal message stands.

You say no to that question, but I would say yes, exactly. It's up to the player to recognize what options he/she has at any given moment and to realize when he/she is capable of using his/her character's options and when he/she can't. So yes, you are outplaying your opponent by picking a character that has superior options. The opponent has to either accept that you have superior options and find a way to beat them anyway or he has to resign to the fact that he cannot win with his character and should move to a better one.

You could have fooled me, I thought you used Zelda, but seriously, where am I wrong?
Soooo you can outplay your opponent without doing anything? Just by being a better character you are outplaying them? Well holy piss then MK players really ARE always outplaying people before the match even starts. So if that's the case then why is any character ever banned? Picking them is simply outplaying your opponent. Its fair they are being outplayed..........

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
So if that's the case then why is any character ever banned? Picking them is simply outplaying your opponent. Its fair they are being outplayed..........
Are you seriously asking this question? There is such as thing as terrible game design where it's obvious to anyone who's smart that a certain character's options are so overwhelming that the only feasible way to win is to either pick said broken character or try your best with whatever character you feel that gives you the best chance of winning. There are characters out there that make MK piss himself.

It is up to the community of a fighting game to determine what contributes to competitiveness and what is overpowering/uncompetitive. There are things that are outside of our control, but in Brawl, every character is manageable (even MK). Picking a character that has that has the best set of options is part of being a good player. Obviously that means jack if the player is incapable of using the character's good options, that's why you play the game. Knowing that your character's options are superior and implementing said options at the appropriate times is outplaying your opponent.

D

Deleted member

Luigi? Yes. He sucks.

Peach? Arguable.

Frankly, not many people give a **** about Wolf though.
You said this in another thread recently. If discussion keeps coming up on Wolf, then apparently people do care. Also, he was used a decent amount at MLG according to the Matchslip data(more than some characters above him). Do those players not care?

I believe the character you're thinking of is Captain Falcon.

Judo777

Smash Master
Are you seriously asking this question? There is such as thing as terrible game design where it's obvious to anyone who's smart that a certain character's options are so overwhelming that the only feasible way to win is to either pick said broken character or try your best with whatever character you feel that gives you the best chance of winning. There are characters out there that make MK piss himself.

It is up to the community of a fighting game to determine what contributes to competitiveness and what is overpowering/uncompetitive. There are things that are outside of our control, but in Brawl, every character is manageable (even MK). Picking a character that has that has the best set of options is part of being a good player. Obviously that means jack if the player is incapable of using the character's good options, that's why you play the game. Knowing that your character's options are superior and implementing said options at the appropriate times is outplaying your opponent.
If that character's options are that overwhelming and the user is implementing them according to you they are being outplayed. Infact by that logic the character isn't broken because he can be beaten if he is simply outplayed. Its just that the only way to outplay them is to infact pick a character with equal options. So pick the character and its fair. The character isn't broken you just have to outplay them (and only by a little) ......

I think this line of logic is wrong. You can outplay ur opponent and still lose in a given MU. That's what makes the MU's bad is that you have to play alot harder than your opponent to win.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I disagree. MK is everyone's best character.
MK is my worst character by far... much worse than my Snake, Ganondorf, and Charizard. =/

About this Wolf talk... I dunno. Apparently (I could be wrong), Yoshi is getting better results than Wolf overall. If Wolf is going to be rising any, then Yoshi better at least move up to the upper-half of D-tier. That's just my opinion, though.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I disagree. MK is everyone's best character.
I can't use MK at all.. It must be cause if I wish to succeed with him i'd have to give up common things that you'd usually need with a character like Yoshi.

MK is my worst character by far... much worse than my Snake, Ganondorf, and Charizard. =/
MK
Ice Climbers - How 2 desync...
Peach
Wolf - HOW CAN YOU RECOVER WITH THIS THING?

About this Wolf talk... I dunno. Apparently (I could be wrong), Yoshi is getting better results than Wolf overall. If Wolf is going to be rising any, then Yoshi better at least move up to the upper-half of D-tier. That's just my opinion, though.

I doubt Yoshi is getting better results than Wolf. But with all the new Yoshi mains popping up and higher results in regionals/Nationals, i'd most likely see him above Sheilda and under Ike.
Since Sonic might have a huge jump again like v3 of the Tier list and going up 8 places, while Wolf could be either bottom of C-tier or top of D-tier

Flayl

Smash Hero
Yoshi isn't getting better results than Wolf if you account for popularity. Yoshi is ungodly popular.

D

Deleted member

Wolf is definitely C-tier material. He doesn't fit with the rest of D-tier.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I only play MK because I like Shuttle Loop -> Glide Attack -> Shuttle Loop. It feels silly.

Honestly though, MK doesn't fit my playstyle. In general, I like characters who do lots of damage with generally slower moves. Ganondorf, Dedede, Pokémon Trainer, and Zelda, among others. And silly characters, who just feel amusing to play, like Sheik and Luigi.

My MK is really, really bad. It's really only a CP character against those characters taken apart by Nado and Shuttle Loop. So... uhhh... Ganon, Peach, and Zelda, and Dedede to a certain extent.

Clai

Smash Lord
If that character's options are that overwhelming and the user is implementing them according to you they are being outplayed. Infact by that logic the character isn't broken because he can be beaten if he is simply outplayed. Its just that the only way to outplay them is to infact pick a character with equal options. So pick the character and its fair. The character isn't broken you just have to outplay them (and only by a little) ......
If a fighting game had a character that was so clearly broken that the only viable and feasible strategy is to either use that one character or lose (dat air fireballz), as long as said character isn't banned, we are free to abuse the **** out of that strategy. It would be a completely valid strategy that players can use to win. Just don't expect that fighting game to have any worth whatsoever as a fighting game if everyone is using one strategy because that's the only feasible way to win. That's why we have bans and that's why we have fighting game communities- to promote and deepen the life of said fighter.

I think this line of logic is wrong. You can outplay ur opponent and still lose in a given MU. That's what makes the MU's bad is that you have to play alot harder than your opponent to win.
How can you be so blind to how much of an oxymoron this is? It is impossible to outplay an opponent and lose because the point of winning is to outplay your opponent. You don't get passes in tournament becuase you 'put more effort,' you don't get brownie points because you 'played harder' and no one is getting money for 'doing really well most of the time.' The only thing that counts in a tournament is the wins. The person that played better wins every time. It doesn't matter how much better you were playing during the match, if you lose, it's because the opponent did what he/she needed to do to win.

You. Got. Outplayed.

No one's going to change the results screen for you because you think it's fair. If you lost, you did something that put you in that position and you just have to do what it takes so you don't get put in that position again. If you feel you got shafted because it seems you put in so much more effort than the opponent and still lost, it's your fault and only your fault for using an inferior strategy.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
So many people need to read that post. I keep getting told I'm not really outplaying people, I'm just waiting for people to screw up and then punishing them HARD.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
My MK is horrible. Terrible

How is Zelda v. ICs at top play? I'm sure it might be better than sheik v. ICs, but it seems like the basis for Zelda having a significant advantage is based on gimmick, I'm sure good ICs can get around Din's fire camping and smash walling.
I think sheik ICs is better than zelda IC. Zelda falls too slow, and her landing options are very lack luster. (IC can grab perfectly spaced bair and fare on sheild) If they dash in while you if smash (something that can happen because of fsmashes start up) you can get grabbed out of that. dins is neat but good ICs still know how to shield. after a split dins is good at racking damage on nana or forcing a dodge out of popo or something. it can mess up hammer squal recoveries pretty well.

I just feel like sheik's ground speed, the range and speed of her aerials (fair on shield is safe for example), ground attacks (ftilt is safe on sheild, jab1 is safe pretty safe spare nana shanagians) and needles to apply very very safe presure from across stage, or just out of punishment range, just works much reliably than dins fire.
Sheik gimps much better and can deal damage much better out of a punish (and split after the punish pretty well with like ftilt->utilt and ftilt-> nair)

sheik's biggest issues come from the solo popo's chain grab it always gets you to at least 60+ damage, and more commonly leads to an infinite. Zelda doesn't have -that- issue. (I used to go zelda against solo popo just to get around that huge damage) but sheik does have the grab release usmash in this match up as well. I've put probably hundreds of hours in against a solid IC, X-factor. When he played he was ranked in NE PR for a bit he knows his stuff. And I know mine.

And for the record, my main point wasn't that sheik excels in the match up it was she does better and has safer, stronger options than Zelda in the match up. I agree that ICs win the match up, she has the tools to avoid the grab, sure, but she doesn't have the comfort zone of characters like snake Link marth or wario. the smallest errors on approaches can cost you a stock at any percent. and if you are ever down a stock you'll absolutely have to approach as sheik, generally on their terms too.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Yeah, Peach is heavily underrated.

OMG BAD MK MU SHE MUST BE E TIER.

Seriously, Wario has a bad MK MU. Yet there he is up near the top.

Chuee

Smash Hero
Yeah, Peach is heavily underrated.

OMG BAD MK MU SHE MUST BE E TIER.

Seriously, Wario has a bad MK MU. Yet there he is up near the top.
Wario has a much better MU vs MK than Peach. Not to mention he has much better MUs in top/high tier.

Judo777

Smash Master
If a fighting game had a character that was so clearly broken that the only viable and feasible strategy is to either use that one character or lose (dat air fireballz), as long as said character isn't banned, we are free to abuse the **** out of that strategy. It would be a completely valid strategy that players can use to win. Just don't expect that fighting game to have any worth whatsoever as a fighting game if everyone is using one strategy because that's the only feasible way to win. That's why we have bans and that's why we have fighting game communities- to promote and deepen the life of said fighter.

How can you be so blind to how much of an oxymoron this is? It is impossible to outplay an opponent and lose because the point of winning is to outplay your opponent. You don't get passes in tournament becuase you 'put more effort,' you don't get brownie points because you 'played harder' and no one is getting money for 'doing really well most of the time.' The only thing that counts in a tournament is the wins. The person that played better wins every time. It doesn't matter how much better you were playing during the match, if you lose, it's because the opponent did what he/she needed to do to win.

You. Got. Outplayed.

No one's going to change the results screen for you because you think it's fair. If you lost, you did something that put you in that position and you just have to do what it takes so you don't get put in that position again. If you feel you got shafted because it seems you put in so much more effort than the opponent and still lost, it's your fault and only your fault for using an inferior strategy.
Alrighty so by that logic I can outplay somebody.... before the first match begins. I can outplay somebody on the character select screen. Infact if I am a solo main, and they are also and my MU character just happens to do really well on them (they play fox, I play pika) then I am outplaying them before any of our sets even begin?

Also does this philosophy take randomness into account. Suppose we have a mirror match and we each happen to so all of the same maneuvers and hit each other at all of the same time. Then as we go to recover on yoshis the ghost platform kills me (we'll say we are ness) but because I lost, I GOT OUTPLAYED.

Every fighting game at some level devolves into some sort of rock paper scissors. In SF its often when you get knocked down and are trying to stand up there is a rock paper scissors involving getting crossed up, getting hit high or low, or a grab. So if we both hit each other in the same situation and guess right the same number of times on that rock paper scissors setups, but your character does more damage and is better you outplayed me simply because you picked a better character?

I suppose then if you consider picking a worse character an aspect of getting outplayed then I suppose that if you don't want to get outplayed throughout a match you HAVE to pick the best character. Otherwise you will be outplayed before the match starts. Therefore character diversity really isn't that important because if you want to truly be competative and not get out played then you must. So then once again why are character considered broken? You simply have to outplay them?

Actually this logic is hilarious I'm gonna use it all the time. No one can ever complain about anything without appearing non-competative.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Actually, optimally everybody should be playing MK. Just like in Melee everyone should be playing Fox or Falco with perfect techskill. And in 64 everyone should be playing Pikachu. It all maximizes your odds of winning.

However, we are people, and we play this game to have fun and show we're better. So we won't necessarily find playing MK fun. Or Foxco, or Pikachu.

Thebest1pj

Pinnacle of Projectile Placement.
Marth would definitely do extremely well in Mid-tier tourneys, but he's actually pretty close to even with most of the tier.

ROB, DK, Wolf, and probably Fox and Toon Link are all even for sure.

Everyone else sans Ness and PT he's +1, maybe +2 on Sheik.

He'd be a presence for sure, since he has no real DISADVANTAGES besides ROB was close to a -1, but settled on even. But it wouldn't be like, "LOLMARTHFREEWINS"

Kind of irrelevant though, since Marth will never fall below B tier. >_>
nah marth beats toonlink.

55:45

edit: i agree with judo

Clai

Smash Lord
Alrighty so by that logic I can outplay somebody.... before the first match begins. I can outplay somebody on the character select screen. Infact if I am a solo main, and they are also and my MU character just happens to do really well on them (they play fox, I play pika) then I am outplaying them before any of our sets even begin?
You can absolutely outplay someone on the character select screen. If your opponent is bold enough to pick a character that has the potential to get destroyed by a particular tactic, it's either because he's knowledgeable about his character's limitations and he's confident enough in his character that he can surpass these limitations and win despite them, or he's just simply foolhardy and needs a painful reality check of what a competitive fighter is about. In your case, by picking Pikachu, you're picking a well-rounded character that is more than serviceable in any fighting situation and you have the bonus of ****** space animals with chain grabs. If your opponent picks Fox, you have an inherit advantage- you're using the game's physics and engine to your advantage, which is really the same thing as outplaying them.

Also does this philosophy take randomness into account. Suppose we have a mirror match and we each happen to so all of the same maneuvers and hit each other at all of the same time. Then as we go to recover on yoshis the ghost platform kills me (we'll say we are ness) but because I lost, I GOT OUTPLAYED.
Only idiots and fools complain about randomness. People with brains acknowledge that random events are going to occur and they're going to prepare themselves so that if an unfortunate event happens, that they can recover (pardon the pun) from it and move on. Why did you put yourself in a position where the possibility of the ghost platform appearing (and you know that the platform can appear at any time and ruin your day because you studied the stage) can have such an effect on the whole match? Were all the hits that your opponent applied to you unavoidable? Did you think about your recovery path and how the opponent/stage can possibly intercept it? You lost because the ghost platform killed you. Tough ****. You can cry about it all you want, no one's going to let you through the bracket because things didn't go exactly how you wanted it to. Next time, plan your battle better so that random occurrences aren't the deciding factor.

Every fighting game at some level devolves into some sort of rock paper scissors. In SF its often when you get knocked down and are trying to stand up there is a rock paper scissors involving getting crossed up, getting hit high or low, or a grab. So if we both hit each other in the same situation and guess right the same number of times on that rock paper scissors setups, but your character does more damage and is better you outplayed me simply because you picked a better character?
If you don't have the brains to acknowledge that my character has a better damage output than yours, then you don't have the right to complain when I realize that all I need to do to win is guess right on the rock-paper-scissors matchup 50% of the time in order to win and act upon that strategy. I realized that my character has better tools to win than your character and I did what I needed to do to win. So yes, I outplayed you.

I suppose then if you consider picking a worse character an aspect of getting outplayed then I suppose that if you don't want to get outplayed throughout a match you HAVE to pick the best character. Otherwise you will be outplayed before the match starts. Therefore character diversity really isn't that important because if you want to truly be competative and not get out played then you must.
Have you even looked at the posts that went after mine (or more specifically, DMG's)? If you have an equal amount of talent with all the characters, then if you want to win, you pick the character with the best set of tools. However, as human beings we all think and play differently, so we pick the character that bests suits our particular playstyle. If you want to be competitive, you have to accept that your character's tools aren't as good as the best character's tools, but that you have the mental capability to use your character's tools to offset that inherit disadvantage. Character diversity is extremely important because as long as the character isn't inherently useless, there are going to be people out there that realize the importance of the character's tools and use them in a way that most people can't even comprehend. More unique toolsets are better because it deepens the game and forces people to really think about which strategy really delivers the highest chances of winning.

So then once again why are character considered broken? You simply have to outplay them?
Characters are considered broken when they are capable of using one specific strategy that renders every other strategy in the game obsolete (again, dat air fireballz. No one could get through them). The health of a competitive game depends on the influx of players and strategies all contributing in their unique ways toward winning. If the game devolves to 'which player can abuse the one broken strategy the best,' the game isn't going to last at all.

Actually this logic is hilarious I'm gonna use it all the time. No one can ever complain about anything without appearing non-competative.
I would love for people to stop complaining about things and focus on actually getting better. Do you know how many more ideas and strategies would come out of it if we all actually focused on different strategies concentrating toward winning? But no, people are always going to complain because they just want to take the easiest path to winning, and when they don't like that path, they'll whine some more until the best path is removed and their path can be given brownie points. Some day, we'll be able to actually behave as a community toward making Brawl the best competitive fighter we can make it. Until that point, I'll just concentrate on getting better with my character.

Judo777

Smash Master
You can absolutely outplay someone on the character select screen. If your opponent is bold enough to pick a character that has the potential to get destroyed by a particular tactic, it's either because he's knowledgeable about his character's limitations and he's confident enough in his character that he can surpass these limitations and win despite them, or he's just simply foolhardy and needs a painful reality check of what a competitive fighter is about. In your case, by picking Pikachu, you're picking a well-rounded character that is more than serviceable in any fighting situation and you have the bonus of ****** space animals with chain grabs. If your opponent picks Fox, you have an inherit advantage- you're using the game's physics and engine to your advantage, which is really the same thing as outplaying them.

Only idiots and fools complain about randomness. People with brains acknowledge that random events are going to occur and they're going to prepare themselves so that if an unfortunate event happens, that they can recover (pardon the pun) from it and move on. Why did you put yourself in a position where the possibility of the ghost platform appearing (and you know that the platform can appear at any time and ruin your day because you studied the stage) can have such an effect on the whole match? Were all the hits that your opponent applied to you unavoidable? Did you think about your recovery path and how the opponent/stage can possibly intercept it? You lost because the ghost platform killed you. Tough ****. You can cry about it all you want, no one's going to let you through the bracket because things didn't go exactly how you wanted it to. Next time, plan your battle better so that random occurrences aren't the deciding factor.

If you don't have the brains to acknowledge that my character has a better damage output than yours, then you don't have the right to complain when I realize that all I need to do to win is guess right on the rock-paper-scissors matchup 50% of the time in order to win and act upon that strategy. I realized that my character has better tools to win than your character and I did what I needed to do to win. So yes, I outplayed you.

Have you even looked at the posts that went after mine (or more specifically, DMG's)? If you have an equal amount of talent with all the characters, then if you want to win, you pick the character with the best set of tools. However, as human beings we all think and play differently, so we pick the character that bests suits our particular playstyle. If you want to be competitive, you have to accept that your character's tools aren't as good as the best character's tools, but that you have the mental capability to use your character's tools to offset that inherit disadvantage. Character diversity is extremely important because as long as the character isn't inherently useless, there are going to be people out there that realize the importance of the character's tools and use them in a way that most people can't even comprehend. More unique toolsets are better because it deepens the game and forces people to really think about which strategy really delivers the highest chances of winning.

Characters are considered broken when they are capable of using one specific strategy that renders every other strategy in the game obsolete (again, dat air fireballz. No one could get through them). The health of a competitive game depends on the influx of players and strategies all contributing in their unique ways toward winning. If the game devolves to 'which player can abuse the one broken strategy the best,' the game isn't going to last at all.

I would love for people to stop complaining about things and focus on actually getting better. Do you know how many more ideas and strategies would come out of it if we all actually focused on different strategies concentrating toward winning? But no, people are always going to complain because they just want to take the easiest path to winning, and when they don't like that path, they'll whine some more until the best path is removed and their path can be given brownie points. Some day, we'll be able to actually behave as a community toward making Brawl the best competitive fighter we can make it. Until that point, I'll just concentrate on getting better with my character.
Alrighty well I have decided that most of this argument cannot continue because it has literally devolved into semantics.

So if people should NOT complain about randomness then where do you raw line? Is is all randomness? So your telling me that if we play on Wario ware and we BOTH get all of the minigames completed and everytime I get complete invincibility and you get some HP back (which more than likely would give me the win if we were the same skill level) that you got outplayed? I won you got outplayed? You should have not got hit during my invincibility? Or better you you should have gotten the invincibility? No wait I got it you should have figured out the code behind the randomizer and only accepted if you were to get the invincibility?

And I wasn't arguing that you can't outplay somebody on the character select screen. I can outplay people before we even enter the venue. By deciding to pick a superior character I am already outplaying you? Infact I decide to pick up brawl. I decide to main MK congratz I am already outplaying every non MK player in the world. And I am going even with every MK main in the world........ If thats the case are we always playing brawl. As a sheik main I am always playing? And always getting outplayed by MK's? Am i only not getting outplayed once I start winning? If so by how much?

This logic is so dumb. Your definiton for outplaying is a synonym for beating. If thats the case whats the point in using the word.

Clai

Smash Lord
So if people should NOT complain about randomness then where do you raw line? Is is all randomness? So your telling me that if we play on Wario ware and we BOTH get all of the minigames completed and everytime I get complete invincibility and you get some HP back (which more than likely would give me the win if we were the same skill level) that you got outplayed? I won you got outplayed? You should have not got hit during my invincibility? Or better you you should have gotten the invincibility? No wait I got it you should have figured out the code behind the randomizer and only accepted if you were to get the invincibility?
In a game like this, invincibility is clearly an imbalanced reward, that's why we have a community. It is the ruleset committee that decides whether players can reasonably deal with the randomness that a stage provides. If Warioware didn't decide to reward invincibility but instead decide to make whoever wins get 5% more damage (or insert whatever reward you think is unbroken), then the opposing player has to deal with that advantage. The ruleset committee draws the line if it feels that any advantage brought by a stage brings a completely inbalanced advantage to a player.

That is not, however, why Pictochat was banned. Pictochat was banned not because the stage brought any inherit imbalanced advantages, but because it was impossible for the players to account for every single one of the transformations (each having its own set of advantages and disadvantages) that could randomly come up at any time. The ruleset committee found that it was completely unreasonable for players to account for the randomness and banned it for the sake of competitiveness. I don't have an opinion for Pictochat, but I can see why they made the choice.

And I wasn't arguing that you can't outplay somebody on the character select screen. I can outplay people before we even enter the venue. By deciding to pick a superior character I am already outplaying you? Infact I decide to pick up brawl. I decide to main MK congratz I am already outplaying every non MK player in the world. And I am going even with every MK main in the world........ If thats the case are we always playing brawl.
This argument is so ridiculous I don't even know where to begin. If the concept of simple fighting game mechanics is confusing you so much that you have to go on nonsensical rants of hyperbole, I'll have to spoonfeed this to you, very very slowly:

1) The match between you and your opponent starts when you and your opponent sit down, load up Brawl, and get to the character select screen. You know nothing about your opponent, and your opponent knows nothing about you, so you two select your characters based on who you feel has the options you need to win. If you happen to pick a better character than your opponent, congratulations, you picked the objectively better path toward winning. Your opponent better know how to use his character's options better than you know how to use your own character's options, because if every single other thing was to be equal (the stage neither adds nor takes away from either character's options), then you will win simply on the basis that you had the better character.

2) The first match is over, and let's say you won because you had the better character and you did what you need to to win the match. At this point your opponent has a few options: keep everything the same because he didn't utilize his options as well as he planned to; pick a stage that either adds to his character's options or takes away from your character's options; or pick a character that has better options to combat your character's options than the one he's currently using.

Character selection, stage selection and counterpicking are just as important as actually playing the game. It's all about maximizing your chances of winning based on your own personal mindset/strategies.

Am i only not getting outplayed once I start winning? If so by how much?
It doesn't matter 'by how much,' you only need to outplay the opponent by enough to win.

This logic is so dumb. Your definiton for outplaying is a synonym for beating. If thats the case whats the point in using the word.
I'm sorry you can't comprehend the concept of 'playing to win.' The only thing that matters is what it says on the results screen. Everything else is irrelevant.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Clai makes me think of those weird super religious homeless looking guys out on the streets screaming about the apocalypse.

Thebest1pj

Pinnacle of Projectile Placement.
In a game like this, invincibility is clearly an imbalanced reward, that's why we have a community. It is the ruleset committee that decides whether players can reasonably deal with the randomness that a stage provides. If Warioware didn't decide to reward invincibility but instead decide to make whoever wins get 5% more damage (or insert whatever reward you think is unbroken), then the opposing player has to deal with that advantage. The ruleset committee draws the line if it feels that any advantage brought by a stage brings a completely inbalanced advantage to a player.

That is not, however, why Pictochat was banned. Pictochat was banned not because the stage brought any inherit imbalanced advantages, but because it was impossible for the players to account for every single one of the transformations (each having its own set of advantages and disadvantages) that could randomly come up at any time. The ruleset committee found that it was completely unreasonable for players to account for the randomness and banned it for the sake of competitiveness. I don't have an opinion for Pictochat, but I can see why they made the choice.

This argument is so ridiculous I don't even know where to begin. If the concept of simple fighting game mechanics is confusing you so much that you have to go on nonsensical rants of hyperbole, I'll have to spoonfeed this to you, very very slowly:

1) The match between you and your opponent starts when you and your opponent sit down, load up Brawl, and get to the character select screen. You know nothing about your opponent, and your opponent knows nothing about you, so you two select your characters based on who you feel has the options you need to win. If you happen to pick a better character than your opponent, congratulations, you picked the objectively better path toward winning. Your opponent better know how to use his character's options better than you know how to use your own character's options, because if every single other thing was to be equal (the stage neither adds nor takes away from either character's options), then you will win simply on the basis that you had the better character.

2) The first match is over, and let's say you won because you had the better character and you did what you need to to win the match. At this point your opponent has a few options: keep everything the same because he didn't utilize his options as well as he planned to; pick a stage that either adds to his character's options or takes away from your character's options; or pick a character that has better options to combat your character's options than the one he's currently using.

Character selection, stage selection and counterpicking are just as important as actually playing the game. It's all about maximizing your chances of winning based on your own personal mindset/strategies.

It doesn't matter 'by how much,' you only need to outplay the opponent by enough to win.

I'm sorry you can't comprehend the concept of 'playing to win.' The only thing that matters is what it says on the results screen. Everything else is irrelevant.
So if it's last hit last stock and i make super hard reads to get a mk to 200 and when going in for the kill move i get shuttlelooped at 0 and die i got outplayed?

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
So if it's last hit last stock and i make super hard reads to get a mk to 200 and when going in for the kill move i get shuttlelooped at 0 and die i got outplayed?
You fell for the trap. Just like if you airdodge into Ness' spike offstage, TL dsmash, etc.

SlashTalon

Smash Ace
Just wanted to say I do completely agree with Clai. Took me a looooooooong time to actually comprehend that, but now that I have it's all a matter of doing whatever it takes.

"No Johns" applies to everything including characters and "luck". Learn the game, learn your character, then learn your matchups; once you have all that then you should never put yourself in a bad position where you rely on "luck". This game is just as much about spacing/zoning and stage control as it is about character attacks vs dodges/blocks. Anything short of winning is still getting outplayed.

Chuee

Smash Hero
"You just got outplayed" works to some extent. In theory no MU is impossible, so technically you lost because you weren't good enough. However, that doesn't mean when you lose you're opponent outplayed you. Some MUs are just so bad that you can hugely outplay your opponent and still lose (DK vs D3).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom