• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL AZ Power Rankings & Social Thread (Updated: 11/27/13)

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
No. That's impossible.

But you pretty much deserved to be infinity'd if you can't get out of 3-4 USmash's from Falco

Yamer

Smash Journeyman

It was a very memorable moment for me. The excitement that tingled in my stomach before my first Brawl match compared only to the first time I got a hand job in high school. I wonder what that girl's doing nowadays.

I was excited.

And that overwhelming sense of expectation came through in full ecstasy (again, high school) upon playing my first match ALL THE WAY till the last moment of play. It was great. It was fun. It lasted more that 15 seconds.

And her name was Rebecca.

I wish I felt that brawl-handjob feeling when I played the game :p

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
On the bright side, it's relatively hard to be punished for tripping. Since it's random you can't really watch for it, and it also gives you invincibility when it happens. It also seems to have a fairly low frequency.

Seriously though... I really have to question the development team's judgment on this one. Include a random mechanic that interferes with gameplay that has no precondition other than trying to initiate horizontal motion? Include this mechanic with no way to turn it off or control it? Super lame :(

It seems like the kind of thing that could happen at clutch moments in tournament finals and give the match to one player over another for no reason.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
On the bright side, it's relatively hard to be punished for tripping. Since it's random you can't really watch for it, and it also gives you invincibility when it happens. It also seems to have a fairly low frequency.

Seriously though... I really have to question the development team's judgment on this one. Include a random mechanic that interferes with gameplay that has no precondition other than trying to initiate horizontal motion? Include this mechanic with no way to turn it off or control it? Super lame :(

It seems like the kind of thing that could happen at clutch moments in tournament finals and give the match to one player over another for no reason.
The sad thing is that I don't think they'll take it out in future versions of the game because like Rang said, it was just some gimmicky "fun" addition to the game.

fark

Smash Apprentice
brawl was fun and i can see it being competitive in some ways
ya there is no cancel so far but so what?
people have only had it for a week
plus, only the **** have it, most of AMERICA has yet to spend time on it
so i dont understand all the complaining
and
in my opinion i think lights post was out of anger and shouldnt be taken all the way into consideration
yes things said were true but its was put negatively
i think that he is just mad that 4th in state is something he can so far no longer hold
we are all on the same level of play so its up for grabs by anyone,noob or "pro"
i can understand why,if i was that good and suddenly became the same as everone else ya i guess i would be mad too
when i was playing forward i almost beat him
the match was even to the last stock(only two), we were both in the 150s and he had 3 days on me so he won with a few mindgames
so thats why i say that light is just angry and that we are on the same playing field

and i mean no harm in any of this to light
im just speaking my opinion
no johns?

forward

Smash Champion
I think tripping is to give the game a random element the players can't control. Poker players deal with it, why can't we?

-Ka-

Smash Journeyman
I think tripping is to give the game a random element the players can't control. Poker players deal with it, why can't we?
Thats actually not a bad way of looking at it, Sean.

For better or worse tripping in really just a random element. Like the cloud in Yoshi Story.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't like the philosophy behind the decision to put tripping in. It's an explicit attempt to make the game non-competitive. It's probably not game-breaking, but it doesn't bode well for other things of that nature.

Light_

Smash Apprentice
Hey Pokey, no I'm not mad about "not gonna be 4th in AZ anymore" I don't know where you got that from. Maybe I'm mad because Sakarai put stupid things like tripping in, ever think of that? Of course everyone's first reaction when playing the game will be different and that was how I felt when I first played it. Now that I've had more time to think about it yes it can be a competitive game but excuse me for being angry because of random factors like tripping. Other things I said in my post were merely my spectulation on the game, doesn't mean it's true or not.

I'm not trying to come off as rude here so I'll say I'm trying to explain myself right now. I just don't like how you said I'm mad about not being 4th anymore.

pntchandler

Smash Rookie
SmashFest March 8-9 @ PlayNTrade Chandler

Smashers,

This is Val, owner of Play N Trade in Chandler. We're back with some exciting Smash events coming your way.

We're planning a March 9, Sunday Midnight release of Brawl. What does it mean for you? First of all,

Everyone who pre-orders Brawl from us will receive it at MIDNIGHT, March 9th. and get 5% off the cost. Assuming Nintendo does not change the date again. Why preorder from us? How about some ASU, UAT, Collins math.

$48.99 (base price) - $5 (down preorder) = $53.99 - (5% off) = $51.29

Now, on to the best part. During this time we're hosting a 12 hour SmashFEST. This will consist of

SSB64, SSBM, & ofcourse SSBB Tournaments.

We have not decided if these will be Single or double, but I need your opinions.

The prizes will be very cool. Nintendo Wii, copies of Brawl, swag.

Since it takes place from 6pm-6am, we've looking into providing food and drinks. Also, perhaps some discounts with local restuarants.

Fee will probably be in the range of $20 per person.

Let me know how and/or what I should do to get things to run smoothly. Our previous tourneys went very well.

We'll probably get somthing finalized within a week. Thanks.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I'd say, pull some more info together like, when we will be doing the tournaments (in order of 64, Melee, and Brawl), rules, teams and singles, etc.

Maybe I'll go... maybe not >_>

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Oh, man. Playing Smash64, Melee, AND Brawl on laggy TV's? That'd be just too good.

But I'm sure you know that March 9th is the shipping date for Brawl. Not the date it actually gets to you. Are you positive that you'll be getting it in time, let alone at midnight? Most stores are saying they won't have it until the 10th, or late on the 9th at best.

yawg

Smash Rookie
AltF4Warrior, yes i go to ASU, sorry about making a new thread. I'm pretty sure March 9th is the "release" date, NOT the ship date. Most places I've checked said they will have it in store on march 9th.....thats usually how it is. the actual ship date is probably march 1st-ish.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Cool, yawg! What are you studying? I'm a CompSci senior. Other ASU smashers include Goop (getting a BA in Business something-or-other) and Wobbles (creative writing). Look for acticles by Rob Wright in the State Press! Oh, and Taj goes to ASU, but he pretty much only plays WoW nowadays.

Anywho: Nintendo (almost always) doesn't do release dates, they do shipping dates. Unless this is some kind of exception that I'm not aware of, March 9th is the date that Brawl gets shipped to stores from Nintendo, and stores are able to put them on the shelves as soon as they arrive.

Most other games have release dates. Meaning that the stores get the game as much as a week in advance, but are only allowed to sell them on the release date.

EDIT: Oh, and there's a tournament going on today at 3 if you want to try to make it. It's called Devastation. You can get details in the Tournament Listing section.

yawg

Smash Rookie
heh, right now i'm in my lab studying quantum physics. cant make the tourney today bc of hw, but i'll get back into the swing of things soon. hit me up on aim = yawgmoth6669

fark

Smash Apprentice
Hey Pokey, no I'm not mad about "not gonna be 4th in AZ anymore" I don't know where you got that from. Maybe I'm mad because Sakarai put stupid things like tripping in, ever think of that? Of course everyone's first reaction when playing the game will be different and that was how I felt when I first played it. Now that I've had more time to think about it yes it can be a competitive game but excuse me for being angry because of random factors like tripping. Other things I said in my post were merely my spectulation on the game, doesn't mean it's true or not.

I'm not trying to come off as rude here so I'll say I'm trying to explain myself right now. I just don't like how you said I'm mad about not being 4th anymore.
thats just how i saw it
but whatevs man its all good

pntchandler

Smash Rookie
Oh, man. Playing Smash64, Melee, AND Brawl on laggy TV's? That'd be just too good.

But I'm sure you know that March 9th is the shipping date for Brawl. Not the date it actually gets to you. Are you positive that you'll be getting it in time, let alone at midnight? Most stores are saying they won't have it until the 10th, or late on the 9th at best.

AltF4,

March 9th is a Sunday and the official street date. Anytime there is a strict STREET DATE, like Halo or Madden, I get the games a few days early but can't put it out for sale until the specified date. I'll probably receive them on Friday, March 7th. When others say they will not receive until later in the day, they're lying. I had Halo 3 a week before it was released.

As for laggy TVs, hopefully Brawl solved that one. :)

pntchandler

Smash Rookie
Cool, yawg! What are you studying? I'm a CompSci senior. Other ASU smashers include Goop (getting a BA in Business something-or-other) and Wobbles (creative writing). Look for acticles by Rob Wright in the State Press! Oh, and Taj goes to ASU, but he pretty much only plays WoW nowadays.

Anywho: Nintendo (almost always) doesn't do release dates, they do shipping dates. Unless this is some kind of exception that I'm not aware of, March 9th is the date that Brawl gets shipped to stores from Nintendo, and stores are able to put them on the shelves as soon as they arrive.

Most other games have release dates. Meaning that the stores get the game as much as a week in advance, but are only allowed to sell them on the release date.

EDIT: Oh, and there's a tournament going on today at 3 if you want to try to make it. It's called Devastation. You can get details in the Tournament Listing section.

Alt,

Not every store buys from Nintendo. I don't have an account with them. I don't have the buying power to get 10000000000000000 copies that they require. So I go through distribution. I get mine via UPS or FedEX shipping. This excludes weekends. Most stores, Best Buy, Target, Walmart, get their deliveries to their warehouse and then shipped to their local stores. When Target tells you that they get Wiis on Sunday, in actuality it's Friday but it does not come in on Truck until Saturday evening.

95% of games are not street dated, unfortunate for me. They have a release date but that usually chages when a store has a special deal with a manufacturer that allows them to sell it a few days before others.

Elysium

Smash Lord
Smashers,

This is Val, owner of Play N Trade in Chandler. We're back with some exciting Smash events coming your way.

We're planning a March 9, Sunday Midnight release of Brawl. What does it mean for you? First of all,

Everyone who pre-orders Brawl from us will receive it at MIDNIGHT, March 9th. and get 5% off the cost. Assuming Nintendo does not change the date again. Why preorder from us? How about some ASU, UAT, Collins math.

$48.99 (base price) - $5 (down preorder) = $53.99 - (5% off) = $51.29

Now, on to the best part. During this time we're hosting a 12 hour SmashFEST. This will consist of

SSB64, SSBM, & ofcourse SSBB Tournaments.

We have not decided if these will be Single or double, but I need your opinions.

The prizes will be very cool. Nintendo Wii, copies of Brawl, swag.

Since it takes place from 6pm-6am, we've looking into providing food and drinks. Also, perhaps some discounts with local restuarants.

Fee will probably be in the range of $20 per person.

Let me know how and/or what I should do to get things to run smoothly. Our previous tourneys went very well.

We'll probably get somthing finalized within a week. Thanks.
Cool, I already have the game "pre-ordered" at a ghetto Gamecrazy by my old house but being at your store for a trny could sway me to (re)pre-order.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
As for laggy TVs, hopefully Brawl solved that one. :)
It won't. The Wii outputs in 480p at max, your TV's have a native resolution higher than that. (Probably 1080p, but maybe 720p) You get upscaling lag. Brawl will still lag on HDTV's, unfortunately.

But thanks for the info on the release date. Maybe the other stores (*cough* Gamestop *cough*) were just trying to protect themselves in case it comes late? I dunno.

Yawg: Ooh, quantum physics. Does that make you a Physics major or a Chemistry major perhaps?

yawg

Smash Rookie
Alt, i'm a biochem phd student, i'm just taking quantum for, well, fun. I've taken quantum in the past and I wanted to expand my knowledge of it. I did my undergraduate at Illinois State University and graduated with a bachelors of science in chemistry and biochemistry. yea, i'm a big nerd, but I play rugby too so i guess that evens it out a lil. when u guys wanna get together for smash?

pntchandler

Smash Rookie
It won't. The Wii outputs in 480p at max, your TV's have a native resolution higher than that. (Probably 1080p, but maybe 720p) You get upscaling lag. Brawl will still lag on HDTV's, unfortunately.

But thanks for the info on the release date. Maybe the other stores (*cough* Gamestop *cough*) were just trying to protect themselves in case it comes late? I dunno.

Yawg: Ooh, quantum physics. Does that make you a Physics major or a Chemistry major perhaps?
Gamestop is definitely protecting themselves. Not from the release dates or a change in the date but rather from over-preorders. They tend to pre-order too much and can't deliver.

Top Bottom