• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL AZ Power Rankings & Social Thread (Updated: 11/27/13)

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
Okay, so you schedule a small tournament about 13 hours in advance, and you schedule it within an hour of the COMPLETE middle of the week (second, minute, hour, day, and all)

Knightmare

Smash Cadet
SHANE! What's your friend code or whatever for Wii lol. Maybe we can play next time we go to Yamers, online. Yamer said it lagged big time but it might not if you play people in the same state.
Sadly my Wii was stolen, remember? I've been playing it on my friend's modded Wii and I only played it over the weekend. We earned every character in 2 days. It was crazy. When the game REALLY comes out I'll get another Wii and be sure to give everyone my friend code. I'm sure there will be some thread for it.

Rang Flash

Smash Journeyman
Sadly my Wii was stolen, remember? I've been playing it on my friend's modded Wii and I only played it over the weekend. We earned every character in 2 days. It was crazy. When the game REALLY comes out I'll get another Wii and be sure to give everyone my friend code. I'm sure there will be some thread for it.
So what are the controls like in Brawl? I heard it's hard to control your character, but in the videos I've seen (esp. the tourney vids from Cali) they move fluidly.

Also, can you fast fall during an aeriel attack like in melee, or is it like ssb64 where you have to fast fall before or after the attack is complete?

Knightmare

Smash Cadet
Honestly Brawl is slower than Melee and a little faster than 64. It's like in between. So it takes a little while to get used to the speed but it isnt hard and the characters move fluidly. I can't quite remember the fast falling in 64 but from when you describe thats pretty much what is it is brawl. I kept trying to fast fall but it only felt like i did after I'd use an attack.

-Ka-

Smash Journeyman
Well I don't mind it being slower. I just hate the way you fast fall in 64. Hopefully it's a little bit better. For example, this video gives me hope:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX_vq-xUMLM

At around 1:54, Link fast-falls his nair while it was still out. You can't do that in 64.
you got nothin to worry about when it comes to falcon, rang. Playing him today made me consider maining him.

Goop

Smash Journeyman
I am going to conditionally announce a tourney exactly the first Saturday of the month after Brawl comes out in the USA, conditions are that I can't be working that day. I think that day is April 8th.

Everyone should come that wants to be part of the new AZ Brawl community.
I'll make a thread post later about it.

ChaosTheory

Smash Ace
I think im going to not be serious about brawl. I don't have the time to dedicate to the game...and maybe i will just wait a year and let everyone else figure out all the hard stuff for me. ^_^ that is all.

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
Irony...

Anyway, I may go, I may not.
Irony and coincidence are two different things.

I am going to conditionally announce a tourney exactly the first Saturday of the month after Brawl comes out in the USA, conditions are that I can't be working that day. I think that day is April 8th.

No work johns.

Trent is retiring before the game is even out now... >_>
AHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!

I just wanted to thank Yamer for having us yesterday. I had a great time. Also Sean for the Melee friendlies. We should do some more at Devastation. If you're not to busy with Street Fighter or something.

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
You can cancel aeriel lag by letting the attack finish before you hit the ground. Also, Falcons nair and Lucario's dair are auto-canceled.
Well, that's pretty much how it is with Melee and 64 as well. That's why doing immediate n-airs with Marth can be autocancelled, even with a fastfall. :dizzy:

Knightmare

Smash Cadet
That will probably get banned if people go out of control with it. No worries. Sakurai is a ******* if he kept delying the game to get rid of all the glitches. Thats a big "IN YO FACE" to him.

Rang Flash

Smash Journeyman
The thing is, it only works if you miss a tech, and there's a half second window of opportunity. Since n00bs don't usually know how to tech, they're the ones that are gonna get owned by it most of the time.

CutMet

Smash Journeyman

I want to go but I probably can't travel out of Tucson. :(

-Ka-

Smash Journeyman
So, those who have played Brawl, do you think it will be competitive?

This one's for you, Tugs.
-Ka

Smashing and Canceling(?) with SSBB: or "My (thats me, Ka, the wonder child of our dearest Mother Earth) first impression of the new game.

These are my words.

These are my thoughts.

This is my opinion.

Only take this half-seriously.

Steven, Pokey and I crashed Yamer's house around 4:30 on Wednesday. The plan was to take his house by storm and demand that he let us play the game that we're not suppose to play for another month or so. We accomplished what we set out to do. Yamer is a generous, welcoming man who has blue streaks in his hair. And I'm cool with that.

Oh, and Forward was there.

TCB sat comfortably in front of Yamer's small but cozy apartment and plugged our controllers into Yamer's modded wii. It was a very memorable moment for me. The excitement that tingled in my stomach before my first Brawl match compared only to the first time I got a hand job in high school. I wonder what that girl's doing nowadays.

I was excited.

And that overwhelming sense of expectation came through in full ecstasy (again, high school) upon playing my first match ALL THE WAY till the last moment of play. It was great. It was fun. It lasted more that 15 seconds.

The game is great and in a sense gives more promise than back when I first played Melee. Sure you pretty much cannot do anything you could do in Melee AND it is overall a bit slower, but if you've read previous posts of mine you'd know that my opinion on this issue is that:

A) This is a new game

B) ...not Melee: The Two Towers (or Empire Strikes Back)

But all cuteness aside, it's fun. Yes, fun. Brawl is a fun game. What does this mean?

To me it means a lot, but most importantly it means that its not going to be very long before some ******* takes the fun out of it and makes it competitive.

Did you know somewhere in Cali people hold Rock, Paper, Scissor tournaments? Seems ridiculous right? I mean, cmon, its Rock, Paper, Scissors. But after watching some coverage of the event some lonely night not too long ago I grew a weird appreciation for the people who brought competitive spirit to something thats practically mundane to make competitive. And they do it because they enjoy doing it, they do it because for them it's fun.

The competitive spirit is what drove people to develop adv tech skill, creative gameplay, and overall play style for a game that (c'mon folks) was meant to be played in a very casual fashion.

Brawl is in such an early developing stage right now (its not even out yet!) that I don't feel its fair to judge the "competitiveness" of it. I can't even give you a legitimate opinion on that matter.

All I can just tell you from my experience is that the seeds for competitive play are there because its fun, original and flippin' Smash Bros! So be excited for Tai's sake.

FIN

And her name was Rebecca.

Top Bottom