• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL AZ Power Rankings & Social Thread (Updated: 11/27/13)

Corigames

Smash Hero
Goop does things in Mesa on a regular basis, and I'm pretty sure the guys in STB do things in Glendale on a weekly schedule. I play a lot at school along with my roommate here in Tempe. There is a cluster in Tuscon that chill out and play, but I'm not sure how active they are still. I'm actually hoping for some type of big AZ tournament in the near future, but I'm not sure if anyone is willing to host it.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
I play Lv9 COMs when I'm bored and try many to find any possible exploits to suicide themselves.

Oh lawl.

gogogogogo AZ

Goop

Smash Journeyman
Goop does things in Mesa on a regular basis, and I'm pretty sure the guys in STB do things in Glendale on a weekly schedule. I play a lot at school along with my roommate here in Tempe. There is a cluster in Tuscon that chill out and play, but I'm not sure how active they are still. I'm actually hoping for some type of big AZ tournament in the near future, but I'm not sure if anyone is willing to host it.
No things over here in Tempe don't happen regularly just when I can do them. I don't like to commit to anything since I have a lot of other commitments. There is really only me, Oscar and Coty who have stepped it up to allow people to come over and smash. More people should try to contribute and have smashfests at there place imo.

In any case Brawl will bring tons of newbies to the game so I am sure someone will have a huge Brawl tourney a month after it comes out. I personally won't do a tourney till I have unlocked all characters and stage and have a decent handle on the game, so prolly around a month or so after the game comes out.

On a side note I am looking into what it would take to get a Modded Wii to play import games, or at the very least downloaded games. I hear Nintendo is really tough on Mod chips so if it turns out being more work that its worth then I won't do it.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yea, modding consoles isn't what it used to be. Back in the day, if you wanted to play a Japanese 64 game on your american N64, all you had to do was chip off a bit of the plastic so that the game would fit inside.

Then you had to put in Mod Chips. A difficult task for someone who's never dealt with electronics before, so modding became much less prevalent.

Now console makers try to combat mod chips by releasing online updates that prevent their use. The latest Wii system update made it so that if you had any mod chips you can't get online. And they'll do it again. If you get a mod chip to make your Wii region free, expect Nintendo to put out a system update that will make your Wii unable to go online (in the best case).

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
Yeah, the newer Wii models have a D2C chip in them that basically makes it so that modding them with older chips is impossible. There are newer modchips coming for it, but still..

Meh.

Jaxx

Smash Cadet
Devistation 08 is comming, and apperently the same weekend theres somthing going on in Tuscon as well.

And on the subject of imported ssbb games, apperently the wii isn't region locked at all. The only reason that the *** games won't play on american wii's appernetly is the tv freq. I've been doing some research and things online, and I'm gonna try to hook up my wii to a crt, plasma monitor and see if it works. I'll let you guys know the outcome.

Turnup Tosser

Smash Rookie
Hey Hey whuts up AZ? Long time no play good to see the scene is alive and kickin i knew it would be. I took a bit of A break from Smash since my partner and comrad Mr.J went off to army boot camp. As for the goons down in Sierra Vista im back and lookin to smash some fools, AXE where you at? :D

coolgy023

Smash Cadet
Someone please tell me they're free today (monday) or tomorrow (tuesday) to play smash in tucson, because i have found a renewed interest in smash and need to play.

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
Hey Hey whuts up AZ? Long time no play good to see the scene is alive and kickin i knew it would be. I took a bit of A break from Smash since my partner and comrad Mr.J went off to army boot camp. As for the goons down in Sierra Vista im back and lookin to smash some fools, AXE where you at? :D
Alive and kickin?

lolwut?

coolgy023

Smash Cadet
Maybe if i say i'm #10 in AZ then ppl will be more willing to come and play. And if ur extra special, i will be drinking and or smoking and be less cunning at this game than usual.

Elysium

Smash Lord
Captain Olimar and Wolf for the win!
Lol at Krystal fans.
1.) Olimar is a waste of a PC
2.) Wolf could be cool, but looks overpowered
3.) Krystal got f*cked. Cameo in a stage... lame
4.) Brawl in a little over a month!!!! I wonder if I'd be able to set up something a little after it comes out.... :ohwell: I don't know.

forward

Smash Champion
Hey guys I'm coming into phoenix today by way of greyhound, would anyone be willing to pick me up at around 1am? I have a plane to catch from sky harbor at 8am, so I wouldn't be around long, we could just play smash all night or whatever. If not, no worries.

Yamer

Smash Journeyman
Smash brawl is pretty fun... We got all the characters unlocked except wolf and toon link.

Light_

Smash Apprentice
Brawl... the good the bad and the ugly.

I've just played Brawl and my first impression is that It. Is. Not. Meant. For. Competitive. Play. Sorry!

Good news is that is is fun to play. Though it seems like a party game that anyone can pick up and still be good.

The airdodging system is absolute crap, it takes too long to recover from doing it so you just get hit anyways, even worse, it gives the other person time to do an even better smash to kill you after you airdodge. There's hardly any mindgames with no wavedashing, dashdancing or anything... it's too straight foward. Coupled with no mindgames AND no ways to enhance your character's moves via "advanced techniques"... it's just so slow, not to mention it takes forever to kill somebody.

Ugh... one thing that pissed me off is randomly 'tripping'... yes... tripping... I was watching my brother play against Yamer and both of them were very high percents on their last stock. Yamer ran up to smash Dark for the victory, it was all but unavoidable! Then... TRIP! Yamer randomly falls just as he's about to smash and Dark uses this opportunity to do a smash attack and kill him. (Yamer brought up a funny point with this saying "imagine seeing that in MLG finals, last match." I mean about to get the win for the grand prize until a trip shatters your victory, that's just dumb AND pathetic.)

Some characters that we noticed were extremely better than other characters. Dedede was one of them. He has good attack, tanking power, has a chaingrab which can chaingrab almost anyone across the stage (and even if he misses he has barely any noticeable lag), and he has very good recovery. Didn't the nintendo people want to make this game more balanced? Then why the hell is this guy got everything going for him? Not to mention he has an unlimited supply of a waddledee army that he can throw instantly with no lag. Just imagine peach spamming turnips but he can throw them without picking them up and has a higher chance of a stitchface (gordon, the spikey thing).

Ugh, pikmin and olimar had to be the most annoying character to fight against in the game. Yeah he needs pikmin to do anything, except he picks up pikmin INSTANTLY! And when I say instantly I mean he can get max pikmin in less than a second. The fact that the pikmin can LATCH ONTO YOUR SHIELD is just utterly inane. There's absolutely no way to protect yourself from him spam throwing them which do insane damage quickly. Most of the time you find yourself trying to dodge the pikmin than causing damage to Olimar. All of the pikmin do random things like causing good damage and knockback to poisoning you until you have to hit them off yourself.

Sonic and metaknight were not as bad as I thought they were gonna be to fight against them. They *can* build damage up fast but they have virtually no killing moves. We found ourselves living toward up to 230 percents until we died.

I don't know who the hell was smoking when they said Peach was easy to use if you played her in Melee, I had to adjust to a lot of things. Boo her double jump and umbrella!!!

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
This is probably the longest post I've seen you write, Brad. Where did you play this game? Did you go to Pound 3 after all?

Top Bottom