• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Ask Anyone Frame Things Thread

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
I find when I input shine>grab too fast my output becomes shine stalled. How much lag is betwwen the shine and grab?

Bones0

Smash Legend
What's the first frame you can turn around in shine (on hit, if it matters)? Assuming it isn't frame 1, can you buffer the turn around during hitlag? I want to do THIS.

mers

Smash Ace
What's the first frame you can turn around in shine (on hit, if it matters)? Assuming it isn't frame 1, can you buffer the turn around during hitlag? I want to do THIS.
Don't know the exactly frame data. However, it's not frame 1, 'cuz you have to wait for hitlag to end. You can "buffer" it in the sense that if you hold the control stick opposite the direction Fox is facing, he will turn around when hitlag ends. I'm pretty sure that if you just tap the control stick the opposite direction, but let it return to neutral before hitlag ends, Fox will not turn around. This means you can't truly buffer it (assuming I'm right).

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I have Ice Climbers questions, I know they are a janky character so sorry for heaps of questions...

• List of ways that they can be de-synced, excluding these:
Grab
Whiffed Grab
Roll
Spot Dodge
Landing
Up B OoS
Running into a wall
Getting hit
Up Tilt (going from memory, can't remember if this does or not)
Taunt buffer
Ledge-grabbing
Dash Dance
Pivot ftilt (which other moves can be pivoted in this fashion?)
3, 2, 1, GO!
• Why does Nana sometimes jump when wavedashing on slopes?
• Why is it that when Nana up throws someone below a platform, they sometimes get knocked onto the platform instead of bypassing it?
• How does the ICs different shield sizes trick work from a technical standpoint and to what extent can Popo and Nana's shields be manipulated independent of one another?
• Are Nana's throws 100% random when not near a ledge?
• How does Up B OoS desync work, from a technical standpoint?
• I often find that when I try and do a SH bair with Popo, Nana turns around (facing the same direction as Popo's hammer) halfway through. Is my c-stick press causing this to happen, if so, how can it be avoided?

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
how does the silentspectre waveland work?

idk much about it, but i know you can do it with falcon and fox. it's pretty much just a waveland where your control stick is facing straight right or straight left (instead of at an angle).

Bones0

Smash Legend
Any normal ground attack (or taunt) can be pivoted to desync. Not sure about pivoting a jump or special attack.

Pretty sure you can't air dodge parallel to the ground to WL. You'd either land before air dodging or just air dodge sideways then land. I suppose you could air dodge sideways on YS and still get a WL, but I'm not sure if that helps your distance at all.

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
I know as Ganondorf you can waveland with no angle and it sends you really far. You have like 1 frame to do it though. It has something to do with landing detection.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
The idea is to let go of the edge and upb as soon as you have grabbed the edge. If this is done frame perfectly, then the frame you lose invincibility is the frame you grab the edge to get more. If you are a human, you likely cannot do this frame perfectly so then the purpose isn't so much the full invincibility but holding the edge for a purpose (usually in anticipation of an edgeguard). If you are aware that you will have a gap in your invincibility, its not really important whether you jump before the upb or let go of the ledge on the first frame possible. If your intentions are to be fully invincible, yes, it does matter if you have a jump input (if you press up and b on the same frame, you won't jump; if you press up and then b it will jump and then firefox).

Hope that helped!

(wtf am i doing in this thread!?)

$haDy

Smash Apprentice
When walking or sprinting on a ledge is it still faster to shield drop than just dropping straight through?

Bones0

Smash Legend
When walking or sprinting on a ledge is it still faster to shield drop than just dropping straight through?
If you're talking about running across a platform, then yes. A regular drop through lasts 3 frames (you drop through on 4). A shield drop is 1 frame (you start to drop through on frame 2). TUTORIAL

$haDy

Smash Apprentice
If you're talking about running across a platform, then yes. A regular drop through lasts 3 frames (you drop through on 4). A shield drop is 1 frame (you start to drop through on frame 2). TUTORIAL
Ya sorry I did mean a platform.Thank you.

Lovage

Smash Hero
yo strong bed
if a fox and falco CLANK utilt on each other (with their backs to each other)
and they both mash shine right after, will the shine clank as well? or might one beat the other.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
it's slightly different

you have to time it later than a normal waveland
and it goes further than a normal waveland

and you CAN do it on a flat surface. i'm not talking about the slope on YS. you can do it with fox and falcon (at least) by jumping and doing a straight horizontal airdodge to waveland if you time it correctly. i just want to know the frame data on the timing and if every character can do it.

that's why i'm asking
jeeze, im not ********

$haDy

Smash Apprentice
Is brawl and melee DI the same? I want to learn from youtube but all the videos are for brawl.

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
Horizontal wavelands are possible with every character. You just have to, well, land somehow.
If you jump through a platform and time the airdodge correctly (while being at the exact height), you'll land immediately and do the longest possible waveland.
Also, you can do this by just jumping up past a ledge and airdodging up on the stage. This is suboptimal though. Very often you get stuck on the wall for a few frames, like there's some kind of barrier, before finally "getting through" and finally landing. And if you somehow bypass this barrier without delay, you still have a couple of airdodge-frames before landing. All of these delays make you lose speed and waveland distance.

Also, you land immediately with a horizontal wavedash if the platform you stand on is moving upwards =).

DRGN

Technowizard
I think he just means you'll immediately "touch down" and be in the landfallspecial stance (I assume the first frame after the button input).

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
Hey ajp (or Strong Bad since this is his thread but P:M johns) does fastfalling affect the waveland distance or does it just make it harder to get the full waveland?

DRGN

Technowizard
Which of the following terms would you guys say is more widely recognized, accepted, and/or used?

SAF ("Soonest Actionable Frame")

IASA ("Interruptible As Soon As")

I didn't want to bias the answer from my own niche of forum observation over the years so I thought I'd ask in the most general/diverse area (Melee Discussion). Also, which term do you like more, and why?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
SDM uses Soonest Actionable Frame. The difference is that there are two things for an attack; IASA, and SAF. If there is no IASA, then SAF is just the frame after the total animation.

Personally I never use SAF. If a move has IASA then using the term "SAF" in place of IASA is misleading, because you can't air dodge or grab ledges out of IASA.

L__

Smash Master
if you jump and grab on the same frame which one takes priority?

and what about hitting a and b on the same frame?

DRGN

Technowizard
SDM uses Soonest Actionable Frame. The difference is that there are two things for an attack; IASA, and SAF. If there is no IASA, then SAF is just the frame after the total animation.

Personally I never use SAF. If a move has IASA then using the term "SAF" in place of IASA is misleading, because you can't air dodge or grab ledges out of IASA.
Oh I didn't know they had differences in what you can do out of them. Are there more besides these?

And for more clarification: they're both the first frame you can begin the animation of a new move, right (i.e. the first frame of a new move can happen on this frame. meaning the game will accept the input for the move the previous frame)? Or are they the first frame that you're actually able to effectively input the next move (and frame 1 of the new animation appears for the next frame)?

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I have Ice Climbers questions, I know they are a janky character so sorry for heaps of questions...

• List of ways that they can be de-synced, excluding these:
Grab
Whiffed Grab
Roll
Spot Dodge
Landing
Up B OoS
Running into a wall
Getting hit
Up Tilt (going from memory, can't remember if this does or not)
Taunt buffer
Ledge-grabbing
Dash Dance
Pivot ftilt (which other moves can be pivoted in this fashion?)
3, 2, 1, GO!
• Why does Nana sometimes jump when wavedashing on slopes?
• Why is it that when Nana up throws someone below a platform, they sometimes get knocked onto the platform instead of bypassing it?
• How does the ICs different shield sizes trick work from a technical standpoint and to what extent can Popo and Nana's shields be manipulated independent of one another?
• Are Nana's throws 100% random when not near a ledge?
• How does Up B OoS desync work, from a technical standpoint?
• I often find that when I try and do a SH bair with Popo, Nana turns around (facing the same direction as Popo's hammer) halfway through. Is my c-stick press causing this to happen, if so, how can it be avoided?
Pleaseeeeeeee SB? <3

Top Bottom