• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 2010-2011 Super Smash Bros. Melee MBR Tier List

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pengie

Smash Lord
exactly. what of it? do you object to this? why? what else do we have to go on?
To be fair, this does skew the data towards whoever the top players feel like playing. This then creates a list that doesn't necessarily show who the best character in the game is, but who wins the most. While the two may seem to go hand in hand, things like player skill come into play and that causes the tier list to be less accurate. I think that, ideally, a player should have as little influence as possible on a tier list and that the tier list should be based solely on matchups.

Stevo

Smash Champion
I can't believe people are still saying puff is a new thing.
Andy knew it all along with his wall of pain in like '03

"I dont know what's worth fighting for,
or why I have to scream
I don't know why I instigate
And say what I don't mean
I don't know how I got this way
I know it's not alright
So I'm breaking the habit
I'm breaking the habit
Tonight..."

that video was great lol

bable bable
noobie noobie
whining whining
I.C.G.
and don't forget my Pichu
blah blah blah
you got your jiggly bair'ing, resting, pwning
stick your stupid low tier in
everybody post
ARE YOU MOTHER****ERS READY
FOR THE NEW LIST
SPAM UP AND ADMIT, YOU'LL NEVER WIN A TOURNEY
THIS IS THE TIER LIST,
SPAM UP AND ADMIT
Do we need it? NO!
Do we want it? YEAH!
This is the new list
Spam up and admit.
that took me 5 minutes to invent, somebody better lol at it....

nobody know the song?

Merkuri

Smash Lord
right because the only post i was responding too was yours.

and i like how you say only nationals, as if they are the only thing that matters. what about the regionals, and locals, that hbox has lost?

you act as if he's been 4 stocking everyone who's come accross him, he's lost matches and sets since he's become recognizable as a top contender in the world.
what if he had met col bol, or pp, or mango in bracket at one of those nationals?
not every situation has been played out, and not saying hbox isn't a good player, and that his brackets haven't been hard, but the fact still remains that there are situations that have yet to happen.
Since rom2, I'm pretty sure the only local tournaments he's lost has been tourney's where he didn't go all Puff. Even Colbol gets ***** by his Puff now. And the only regional tournament he lost was Herb3, which was like the only time out of like 6 times DRPP was able to beat him.

Hbox is human so he can't win everything, but that is a pretty ****ty argument against Jigs being top tier.

Pi

Smash Hero
So basically all you've been saying this entire time is that Jiggs is top tier, fully recognizing that the tier list has more to do with tournament results than character potential?

which is why you said this:

I don't care if there are problems with the character that will eventually be solved. It's been long enough that the theorycraft doesn't matter. You've had time to "solve" the Jigglypuff problem, Melee Community, yet she still wins everything. Cut us a ****ing break and stop talking about dying off the top wicked easy and having no approach and start explaining to me why no one can turn that into wins vs. Jiggs at big tournaments
which, to me, says more about your stance on her as a character, rather than hbox's dominance with her.

I never claimed jiggs to not be 'top tier'
nor did BBQ
The only point I was trying to make was that the metagame can and will change
and I offered examples as to people who have and can beat Hbox to support that
as well as pointing out that both marth, sheik, and fox had their time being dominant, which is similar to where jiggs is at now.

If all you're trying to say is that jiggs deserves to be top tier, then you can stop, because I'm not disagreeing with that.

If you are trying to say that jiggs is the best character, then I disagree.

Since rom2, I'm pretty sure the only local tournaments he's lost has been tourney's where he didn't go all Puff. Even Colbol gets ***** by his Puff now. And the only regional tournament he lost was Herb3, which was like the only time out of like 6 times DRPP was able to beat him.

Hbox is human so he can't win everything, but that is a pretty ****ty argument against Jigs being top tier.
col bol doesn't get ***** by Hbox's puff lol...where did you even get that from
their sets are almost always last set last match last stock

yes hbox has the advantage over drpp as far as tourney results go, but that's going to be the case at least for another 5 tournaments (assuming he beats them all those times)

hell

ken has the advantage over m2k in tourney sets, does that mean ken is still a better player?

and i'm not trying to say jiggs isn't top tier

Djent

Smash Champion
It's almost perfect and all, but it only reinforces what the community had already decided...so it's not that important now. Still really cool that it's official and all though.

john!

Smash Hero
i've got a question about game and watch, he's not in negligible tier, but there are characters in n.t. who have some representation (e.g. vectorman's yoshi), arguably more than game and watch does. i personally don't think g&w is negligible due to my personal experience using him, but i want to know how the mbr came to this conclusion as well. who is going to notable tourneys these days and doing well with him?

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
and you base this on what? the placement of 1 japanese player in 1 american tournament? (bombsoldier @ 0c3)
...no, i'm not using the bases of 'any X player from Y country going to america' because that's dumb. armada, and anyone else who's done good outside of their region clearly shows that. but I just think fumi got as known as he/she did just from early metagame advantages. people not knowing WTF is going on enough in smash back then, under-developed players imo. So i say now, bringing a YOSHI into the states and expecting them to place decent, especially with americas metagame constantly growing, fumi would do awful.

i know you've made awesome assumptions before on players you think are good before being proven good, but a peach in a somewhat active europe is definitely different

PB&J

Smash Hero
one character cant be tied with the other..thats dumb..it would be the same character, but even twins have different fingerprints if u get my drift

n1000

Smash Journeyman
You're right PB&J. The problem is that there is no agreement as to what the tier list actually represents. Tournament viability? Actual tournament results? Super Theory Bros. performance?

MBR could rigorously define the tier list in one of two ways: Either tell us precisely how the tier list is constructed or tell us exactly what it's supposed to represent. Until that's done the tier list will only be a (handy) gauge of how much a few pros think you can win if you play X character.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Umbreon said:
A tier list is a list of characters ranked best to worst in their likelihood to perform well in a tournament setting in the near future based on recent, relevant tournament results. We then separate characters at statistically significant gaps to be grouped with their relative equals, and those groupings are called "tiers". A tier list is, in essence, a "prediction" list as to how any given character will fare in a competitive setting.
character limit

PB&J

Smash Hero
You're right PB&J. The problem is that there is no agreement as to what the tier list actually represents. Tournament viability? Actual tournament results? Super Theory Bros. performance?

MBR could rigorously define the tier list in one of two ways: Either tell us precisely how the tier list is constructed or tell us exactly what it's supposed to represent. Until that's done the tier list will only be a (handy) gauge of how much a few pros think you can win if you play X character.
^^^^^ this times 120209230909..im picking icys back up and marth/shiek/dk

tier list doesnt mean anything to me anyway..look at axe

Tero.

Smash Champion

A tier list is a list of characters ranked best to worst in their likelihood to perform well in a tournament setting in the near future based on recent, relevant tournament results. We then separate characters at statistically significant gaps to be grouped with their relative equals, and those groupings are called "tiers". A tier list is, in essence, a "prediction" list as to how any given character will fare in a competitive setting. We naturally assume top level of play.

Someone sticky this, I'm tired of seeing this question come up almost daily.

^ pretty much this.

PB&J

Smash Hero
u should watch soft vs m2k..oh its not recorded but soft was up while doing it then m2k told soft it was banned(which was a lie) and soft got off the ledge and lost..its not unbeatable but its pretty good and im sure m2k would have trouble of the soft now doing it too him..

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
yeah last i saw m2k was doing this recently when i saw his puff in a friendly. m2k is much more excessive with it though, you can tell he doesnt like puff so im guessing he just does it to show how abusive it can be

also thats pretty ****in gay that m2k said it was banned just to avoid it happenign to him

after watching soft vs druggedfox i felt really good watching her lose not gonna lie

Vyzor

Smash Journeyman
why is the whole bottom tier tied or w/e. seriously should be sorted out. Pichu isnt tied with any of them, except for maybe kirby.

n1000

Smash Journeyman
A qualm I have with Umbreon's definition is that "likelihood to perform well" and "fare in a competitive setting" aren't fully defined. Performing well clearly isn't equivalent to "getting first place at nationals" though posters will equate the two and then scream and shout, "what has Fox won?!"

"Relative equals" is a contradiction in the adjective. This is better:
We then separate characters at statistically significant gaps, to be grouped with their relative equals, and these groupings are called "tiers".
I do like the definition though. It should be plastered all over the OP.

There are a few obvious conclusions to be drawn from this definition that some posters don't yet recognize. The tier list is a snapshot of recent data, it is always in flux. "Ties" are necessary so the MBR doesn't have to release a new tier list every month when Samus and Ganondorf switch places or when the statistical methods for devising the list don't hold up because no one plays the characters.

fake EDIT: Vyzor, check the paragraph above. Pichu is tied because of the methods, "tied" != "equally good as"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom