• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 2010-2011 Super Smash Bros. Melee MBR Tier List

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadyMilkman

Smash Apprentice
Man, I really like Fried Cheese Sticks.
Dude, I was all good, just skimming through these posts for something worthwhile then this.

Thank you, Bun for making my time here meaningful. :)

I'm hongreh.

edit for legitimacy: I still think Doc is as good as Ganon and Samus...and that maybe, juuuuuuust maybe...ICG might be on to something about Pichu. Not nearly as much as he thinks he's onto...but onto something. Aviator Pichu for low tier! All other palettes need not apply.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I'm angry at BunBun because I want to make mozzarella sticks but I don't have any cheese in my fridge, much less the mozzarella I need for them to be real mozzarella sticks. He's also got me craving french onion soup but, again, I don't have the cheese for it.

-___-

edit: This is a topic about tiers and I post in it.

I think Puff is not as good as Falco and Fox.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
This is really nitpicky, but what the hell is the difference between "high" and "upper"? Or "bottom" and "negligible"? It's a really odd way to name tiers.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
no one has answered why peach is so low on "tierlist" supposedly based on tourny results.

its buggin me.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
You see it's not really based on straight tournament results. THe smash community is small and we know all the players involved and who they played in tournament so it gets a little more complicated since player weight and player matchups have a say in tournament results.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I believe when AZ uses the statistics he is referencing both. I'll have to pull up one of his posts to get back to you Strat.

D

Deleted member

Saying melee is different from fighting games is a really shitty argument for basing the tier list off of tournament results.
Definitely, which is why we've outlaid different reasoning as to why we picked the method that we used.

I can think of a worse argument though, and that would be to base our tier list on match-ups because other fighting game communities do.

@ everyone in general: if you have some reasoning to use match-ups over tournament results, I disagree with you, but I'll at least respect some attempt at logic congruent with sound reasoning. If I see that we should use match-ups to mimic other communities, I'll tell you right now that you have a 0% chance to effectively alter the methods used for the tier list in the future.

edit: I agree that Peach is too low.

edit 2: wow I just found this gem:

If you just use results, you get a popularity chart.
On the basis that winning is popular in tournaments yes I'd have to agree. Where do you people come from? lol

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
i'm sorry i meant I took 2 stocks i'm sorry i'm so extra dumb. But also I couldn't do what i do with pichu as a top tier maybe falco or ssheik but I doubt it somewhat.

i'll go change that post. pichu marth is pretty easy.

I changed the post.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
No, pichu against marth is not easy.
You have never beaten an even somewhat credible marth.
when you do, I would love to see some vids.

llamapaste

Smash Journeyman
I'm really dissapointed that IC didn't make it to high tier but other than that it looks good.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
"On the basis that winning is popular in tournaments yes I'd have to agree. Where do you people come from? lol"

This is now sigged =] But really, that's the idea. We assume that when people enter international tournaments, the top level of players are playing to win, and thus pick the ideal strategy.

SmasherLink

Smash Apprentice
WTF man, if The Melee backroom is going to make a tier list, they have to make it correct.

Pros
New tier ranking
good place for Ness

Cons
Fox is too high
Pichu is too low
DK is too high
Link is too low

So Smashboards, fix it or I will shut this website down Permanently.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Fox/Falco/Puff

HIGH
Sheik
Marth

UPPER
Peach
Falcon

MIDDLE
Ice Climbers
Samus/Ganon
Doc Mario

LOW
Mario/Pikachu
Luigi/DK
Link

BOTTOM
Zelda
Mewtwo
Roy/Young Link
Game and Watch

NEGLIGIBLE
Yoshi/Pichu/Bowser/Ness/Kirby

I geuss DK should be below luigi, pichu isn't techinally placed, and link may need to go up but one. also ness isn't techinally placed. also new doesn't mean something is good so that's a bad reason. Many things don't need to change.

overall i think this list is closer than the last oe to today's metagame.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Cause he sucks ****ing 1,000,000 lb *****.
He is a mother ****ING ****ER WHO ****S EVERYTHING AND SUCKS ON THE GAME, AND HE IS BANNED FROM TOURNAMENTS AND WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE IN MELEE. HE IS A...A...RACIST MOTHER ****ING ***** ******* **** ****ER ****ING %&^#@!
wanta play fox dittos? I get green.

SmasherLink

Smash Apprentice
SRY Bout the dual post, but man that felt good.
**** YOU FOX, FALCO AND JIGGLYPUFF. LET LINK IN FOR ONCE. HOW DID JIGGLYPUFF GET ON ****ING TOP

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Fox makes the world go around without him low tiers don't stand a chance, he stops the gayness called sheik same for other ***s like ice climbers. I love them soooo much.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
No one is going to ban fox from tournaments. You have provided no valid reasoning as to why Fox should be banned.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
@ICG: Since when do Foxs deal with puff? All I see is them losing to her lately.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
funny how they keep doing the same thing but for mango's fox. also I think H-box is one of the top 5 best players in at the minute mango IS the best player period. fox vs puff isn't 30-70 but it isn't easy for puff unless you run into stuff. question who's a fox main in the top 5 right now that can say he solidly knows the puff match-up inside out?

i'm not nearly as foolish as you may think.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
"On the basis that winning is popular in tournaments yes I'd have to agree. Where do you people come from? lol"

This is now sigged =] But really, that's the idea. We assume that when people enter international tournaments, the top level of players are playing to win, and thus pick the ideal strategy.
People pick the ideal strategy by picking the character that they do best with, not the strongest characters in the abstract. It clearly isn't the case that character popularity is a direct representation of character strength. There are other factors that play into it significantly, one of which is just variance.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Don't forget that the lack of top-level Jigglypuffs also means that very few players are fluent with the match-up.

Luma

Smash Lord
^ I don't think the concept of the MBR is a bad idea, I just think the execution is poorly done. It should consist of the best, all the best and only the best players in the community. Also the need to kick people out of the mbr who are either no longer active in the community or no longer active on Smashboards.

This tier list is the worst yet because it wasn't created nor approved by an organized mbr. Additionally the mbr has just gotten lazy recently.
so wrong
just because you are good doenst mean that you either know stuff about smash nor that you are able to discuss stuff. agree though with that stuff about inactive people, some are just too old (meaning they havent been to tournies in a long time or just didnt kept up with the results and ****)

Merkuri

Smash Lord
so wrong
just because you are good doenst mean that you either know stuff about smash nor that you are able to discuss stuff. agree though with that stuff about inactive people, some are just too old (meaning they havent been to tournies in a long time or just didnt kept up with the results and ****)
Lol, why am I not surprised that my point was countered by an mbr member who isn't particularly good.

If you're very good at the game then you know enough to discuss all relevant things which should be discussed by the mbr. Quite frankly a lot of people in the mbr are relatively bad, having a bad player vote on a tier list is just stupid. Which I guess may explain why the mbr opted to base this list on tourney results instead.

Luma

Smash Lord
i'd own your ***, just as a sidenote

just look @ mew2king, he used to change his opinion every week and never even tries to discuss
or take mango who is just trolling
or Scar, pretty much the same as m2k

knowlegde =/= skill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom