• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NTSC Melee as a tournament standard in Australia

Do you want to play NTSC in Australian Melee tournaments? (Votes are public)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TakFR

Smash Lord
NNID
TakAE86
Surgi stop making a post for every response you see, it's called spamming

Anyway you couldn't have NTSC + PAL running as standard, it would cause too much extra hassle for TOs and players to decide what version should be played where and for what matches

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Copying America because they're better than us is silly. Europe is also better than us and they play PAL. Even if that wasn't the case, it's not relevant at all.
I agree mostly with what you're saying, but I wanted to clarify something here.

Yes, it's irrelevant. But what I mainly meant was not about the version in particular - but that clinging to anything in the vain hope that we might appear "different" is pointless and silly, especially when a change we're discarding could be beneficial.

Also I disagree - copying Americans because they're better than us is smart. Copying those better than ourselves is a basic fundamental of improving as a human being. The schooling system is built around this concept. Maybe switching to NTSC just cause they use it is irrelevant, but again, I was more referring to copying in general.

Zero

Smash Hero
You just ignored the fact that Europe is better than us as well.

Counterpicking games for matchup is lol indeed.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
Anyway you couldn't have NTSC + PAL running as standard, it would cause too much extra hassle for TOs and players to decide what version should be played where and for what matches
did you not read my post
it's quite simple

could just have 1 or 2 ntsc tvs at tourneys
and if both players agree they play on ntsc instead

or have it other way around

Surgi

Smash Journeyman
Shadow Temple, trying to find the mirror shield
Surgi stop making a post for every response you see, it's called spamming
>< sorry guys I am just interested in the topic. :(

Origionally what I intended to say was not to have both at one tournament but run seperate tourneys for either version? maybe mix and match the monthlies I'm sure most of the melee crowd would still come to them all no matter the specified version so it wouldn't make too much difference, but it might show that some players are prominant in one version and vice versa. Just a thought

unreon

Smash Ace
But Dekar, the point of this is to determine what is "standard" in the sense that if there is disagreement, you can always go back to the rules to settle disputes.

The reason why my NTSC was used for the big TV last BOOST was more out of necessity than anything else. We just didn't have enough setups >< But it was good in that the recorded matches between top players got a feel for it running on a national scale. An experiment, if you will.

Odd how it somehow brought the discussion of NTSC this far.

If we adopt NTSC as standard, keep in mind we never will have as many setups as a tourny running PAL. If NTSC becomes standard, than nobody should ever be forced to play purely on PAL if they object to it - this is relevant for things like pools/swiss where as many as 6 people are playing on the one TV. It causes alot of TO headache that I think is better avoided.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Why are Atticus' posts always so amazing?
atticus does this crazy thing where he thinks before he posts, unlike the rest of us

also i hope if cao/other to's take this vote actually into consideration, they also take in the fact that a lot of the votes weren't exactly good votes (alzi comes to mind)

Pantsmann

Smash Lord
I just don't see the point in making ntsc the STANDARD (i can understand one or two setups at a tournament for lulz), it requires work, getting extra setups, all when PAL is running just fine. like what other people have said, europe is doing quite well with PAL i don't see why we should be copying americans when europe is doing practically just as well with what we already have. Also PAL is more balanced, fox sheik falco marth got nerfed, why would we want to change to a version where top tier are even more broken?

mainly i'm against it because it requires extra effort for such a pointless change.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Wow this is quite even. I voted for NTSC. Wait why did I vote for NTSC?! I think I it was just so we could follow the American's.

King Kong

Smash Lord
I voted against NTSC.

PAL version is simply a more balanced game. I like the fact that as a Sheik player I cant 0-death 50% of the cast with chaingrabs and that my character does not have an OP grab game, I like that Fox and Marth are slightly less powerful. I cant see any benefits of switching over to NTSC other than for interest.

As for the copying America idea. Why would this make us better? Id rather take my smash inspiration from Amsah, EK and Armada over Mango, HBox and M2K who I personally find rather boring to watch.

I think that having a couple of T.V's set to NTSC at tournaments is a fantastic idea though.

peace out

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I don't think people vouching for NTSC Melee are trying to American, or Japanese or whatever, it's just because they enjoy playing that version more.

I think Melbourne's tournaments could be heading for optional NTSC TV stations, at least for a pilot test. We certainly have the resources for it.

King Kong

Smash Lord
yeah maybe a test to find out who likes what is necessary to solve this. People can argue theory untill the cows come home but as em told of several times, results speak louder than words. My vote is for a trial of ntsc in melb
If you thought Em was good before, she's gonna r@pe even harder in NTSC. As i've said before i feel like an insane demon on crack when I play NTSC Sheik. I dont like it, its like I get the same result except for less effort.

But hey, no harm can come of having a trial tournament, it'd be quite fun in fact. Id vote for some NTSC trial tournaments for sure.

peace out

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
@ King Kong - It's not so much a "copying Americans" idea as it is a "copying those better than us" idea. If you read my response to Atticus I agree with him several times that copying America only for the sake of their version is pointless. I originally meant "why not copy America?" as an offhand remark since Alzi was being silly. :/

Anyway the copying others thing had nothing to do with version, it just happened to come up in a topic about deciding on a version. Just clearing that up.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
sure sheik is better
but so is fox. play fox against shiek.

and even if you play marth against sheik, you can now ken combo, and like pal the matchup is slightly in marth's favour still imo edit: no wait of course it's not lol, but w/e sheik is poo in pal, give her the boost

i think trialling an ntsc only tournament (with mostly ntsc setups, but of course some tvs will have to have pal, and we can use this if 2 people agree to play on pal instead or if their mains like have no changes between versions) is the way to go here

Splice

Smash Hero
@ King Kong - It's not so much a "copying Americans" idea as it is a "copying those better than us" idea. If you read my response to Atticus I agree with him several times that copying America only for the sake of their version is pointless. I originally meant "why not copy America?" as an offhand remark since Alzi was being silly. :/
I thought the idea was just playing a better version of the game?
And coincidentally the better version was released in America not Australia.

"Copying Americans" is a silly debate when their version of the game is simply better or prefferred.

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
NTSC is better....if you want to all be a bunch of tools who only use 3 characters. Personally I don't care either way...but it seems like the only reason to do this is to be like the 'cool kids'.
Overall we will see:
Stronger top tier characters (bad)
Weaker lower tier characters (bad)
Advantage for long-time players (bad)
Disadvantage for new-comers (bad)
NTSC more faulty (bad)
Fewer copies (bad)
TV issues a possibility (bad)
Favours veterans over newer players (bad)

Wake up...you'll only drive people away :\

Pantsmann

Smash Lord
what? how does that make sense? why would making new people play a game they're not used to give MORE ACCURATE results than all of us playing the same game?

Toby.

Smash Master
Just want to say that you padded that list out simply by supplying opposites and rewording the same thing. Namely:

Advantage for long-time players (bad)
Disadvantage for new-comers (bad)
Pretty samey to me.

There's a similar thing going on with your talk about top and low tiers getting stronger and weaker, but that makes slightly more sense because a top tier buff doesn't necessarily mean a low tier nerf.

I dont have an opinion in this discussion. Just wanted to point that out because it was a strange argument that you might want to clarify or edit out.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=57155

Low tiers seem nerfed in PAL, though nowhere near the extent of top tiers. Generally they have slightly better weight, but weaker/worse attacks.

I thought the idea was just playing a better version of the game?
And coincidentally the better version was released in America not Australia.

"Copying Americans" is a silly debate when their version of the game is simply better or prefferred.
Why do people insist on misinterpreting me even after I spell it out to them? :dizzy:

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Just want to say that you padded that list out simply by supplying opposites and rewording the same thing. Namely:

Pretty samey to me.

There's a similar thing going on with your talk about top and low tiers getting stronger and weaker, but that makes slightly more sense because a top tier buff doesn't necessarily mean a low tier nerf.

I dont have an opinion in this discussion. Just wanted to point that out because it was a strange argument that you might want to clarify or edit out.
Let's see:
Advantage for long-time players (bad) - Long time players will have an understanding of move alterations between the versions, thus improving their ability to combo, select moves in situations etc. Name this Factor A.
Disadvantage for new-comers (bad) - People new to NTSC will not know where to DI certain moves, which moves are now unable to be meteor-canceled, fail at stringing their own combos etc. Name this Factor B.

If both Factor A and B exist then both are different as neither Factor A or B require eachother to be true.

This is more to do with the scene than individual matches.

Low tiers seem nerfed in PAL, though nowhere near the extent of top tiers. Generally they have slightly better weight, but weaker/worse attacks.
I'd say they aren't nerfs for low tiers at all. Between the ability to survive longer, and the ability to not be cheaped by stupid things like fairs into dair with Marth from 0% they are for the most part buffed in PAL with the exception of Mario for being lighter, shorter upB and shorter second jump. Link can't spike with UpB but he gets much less owned by top tiers, so I would call this at least neutral.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
"Not being as gayed" isn't an ability/buff, it's an effect and the point of another character's nerf.

Mario's Up B doesn't change. Also I didn't see anything about his double jump changing in there. (This actually helps your point, just saying though.)

Also your arguments still basically amount to "veterans know more" and "newcomers know less". They imply each other. Although I don't really see the point of the argument, newcomers by nature will know less than veterans regardless of the version.

>_>

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
the point being made here, is that if I were to say fire is hotter then ice, it would also imply that ice is colder then fire, therefore I wouldnt also have to say, ice is colder then fire, and vice versa

Pantsmann

Smash Lord
it's still a good point. new players will actually be playing a game which is slightly different to the one they wanted, they might be turned away by the fact that they have to learn all the new differences. that's definately a bad thing. i can see many players being frustrated by NTSC sheik and fox's upsmash.

also if we change to ntsc then lots of us will have to get used to the new version, putting the scene backwards as a whole for a while for no particular reason, unless you believe that playing ntsc will make us all better somehow. i mean yes there are some people who are already used to it, but not everybody is and you'd be giving an unfair disadvantage to all of those people until they can catch up to everybody who's been playing ntsc for years.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Why are people talking about PAL and NTSC like they are completely different games, lol? Give a new player NTSC and PAL and they won't be able to tell the differences. I think the differences are being overstated. Fox/Marth/Sheik/Falco/Peach, etc are still the best characters in the game, nerfed or not and that highlights how subtle the differences really are.

Sieg

Smash Champion
I believe that having NCST as a standard would be great for the metagame in a whole, as it's become pretty stagnated tbh.

I think it'd be good for everyone to learn a new style of play, it might get some people practicing harder again.

EDIT: @Cao, that's the funny thing, even after the PAL nerf those characters were still top tier lol.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
I voted for ntsc because ganon was nerfed soooo much in pal, ganon for god tier.

S.D

Smash Master
Why are people talking about PAL and NTSC like they are completely different games, lol? Give a new player NTSC and PAL and they won't be able to tell the differences. I think the differences are being overstated. Fox/Marth/Sheik/Falco/Peach, etc are still the best characters in the game, nerfed or not and that highlights how subtle the differences really are.
I agree with Dave.

Also people are talking about the buffs of top tier in NTSC, but remember PAL strengthens other top tiers like Peach, Puff and Icies by nerfing the rest of the OP cast. The so called 'balance' they tried to achieve is merely slanted towards other characters instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom