• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NTSC Melee as a tournament standard in Australia

Do you want to play NTSC in Australian Melee tournaments? (Votes are public)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Okay so europeans have played americans that we haven't played either. What is it with you guys and getting to your knees at any chance? I'd heard the world of plenty of players I wiped the floor with, and thought less of players that beat me before I played them. The problem you lot tend to have is being starstruck. The way Surgi for instance idolises KO only solidifies his inability to ever beat him, as it's a mental game.

Syke, if there is someone I keenly intend to play against in tourney I will do my best to make it happen, but I've never been the sort to strive for personal tourney glory.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
true we're starstruck
if i met silentspectre irl i think i'd go down on him
but cao came what, 60th at genesis? and europes best came 2nd... and they both play peach...
and then amsah (also europe) beats armada at pound 4...
i think europe is a bit better than us buddy

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
maybe its because some of us have been over and seen with our own eyes just how good they are, or to put it more bluntly, how much australia sucks compared to the rest of the world, you would get smashed shaz.

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Luke have I ever played you? I don't know to be honest...but if I have my apologies for not remembering, it's nothing personal I just struggle with memory on so many faces, or perhaps you haven't been around long enough.

Dekar, overall they VERY likely are at a higher mean skill level than Aus, but it's not to say you just throw in the towel and call yourself worthless. There's every chance you for instance would place well at a euro tourney, as you don't know the quality of most players compared to yourself. Granted at last check 95% of Aus melee players were little more than fodder, but people overseas are only human too, and are every bit as flawed for it as you or I.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
no I dont think we have ever played, but we have met.

and nobodys saying that they are worthless, they're just saying that pretty much everywhere is better then us, which is true, but nobodys being negative about it.

its pretty much the whole bigger fish in the sea thing, australia is just a small pond.

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Lol well I guess I mistook Dekars willlingness as submission, where it was only one of his kinky quirks xD.

Regardless of the population though, it;s up to individuals to improve. Even in the states there are echelons of ability. You tend to grow with a select few 'rivals' moreso than as a whole from my experience. Some examples of pairings I believe worked this way are: Tristan and Radiance, Syke and Kas, Captain Jack and Masashi, Mike and Dave, Timmy and Tommy etc. I remember being in California and watching everyones mixed shock and delight at the skill level of a handful of guys from Hawaii. There were only a handful of them, and they are about as remote as the US has to offer, but they were holding their own against favourites.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
The Hawaiians? No they weren't. Their best didn't do any better than I did if I can recall:

1: Ken
2: ChuDat
3: Mew2King
4: Korean DJ
5: Hoshino Kirby
5: Shu
7: Captain Jack
7: Kei
9: The KING
9: P.C. Chris
9: RobMoney
9: DSF
13: Omar
13: Forward
13: RaSeruCort
13: Sastopher
17: The GERM
17: Hayato
17: S.O.S.
17: FalseFalco
17: chesterr01
17: HugS
17: Manacloud
17: Hiko
25: Helios
25: Blair
25: Hitsugaya
25: Lunaris
25: Trevyn
25: Zelgadis
25: PKMvodka
25: Taj
33: Wolf
33: Doraki
33: CowEar
33: Kaiser
33: Bob Money
33: Simna ibn sind
33: MikeMonkey
33: Yagi
33: Snap
33: Aesis
33: N2K6
33: Azn Lep
33: Ultra Luigi
33: Tetra
33: Kentaross
33: KillaOR
49: Hella
49: B-stick
49: Derilink
49: Clod Zero
49: Enix Moogle
49: Tenyear
49: CAOTIC
49: Frotaz
49: Eddie
49: vwins
49: RacerX
49: Kizzo Girl
49: Hyuga
49: Meep
49: Champ
49: Tori

You need more than just a crew of a few good players. You need a large community to set standards to meet your potential.

S.D

Smash Master
maybe its because some of us have been over and seen with our own eyes just how good they are, or to put it more bluntly, how much australia sucks compared to the rest of the world, you would get smashed shaz.
Now now Luke you shouldn't jump to conclusions like that, Shaz went to OC2 way back when, he's seen plenty of US ****.

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Lol KO and you were practically living with Ken, so for them to draw even with you at that point is impressive :). Don't sell yourself short noob :p

Surgi

Smash Journeyman
Shadow Temple, trying to find the mirror shield
lol cao coming top 50 is fantastic out of what 290 people. That puts him in the top 15 maybe 20% of smashers im the entire world. Also he didnt have easy matches which makes it a better result. In short australia has potential to become as good as or better than europe we just need some time to get better. Everyone start training for robocop NAO! Kthx

Pantsmann

Smash Lord
i think the problem is people in australia just don't CARE as much. we have good players, and we have players who are quickly on their way to good, but the majority of smashers just seem to be like "lawl, i suck" and don't try to do anything about it. i might be wrong, this is just what i've seen over the past few months.

Sieg

Smash Champion
BEEN TO AMERICA POST. Like the 12th one?

Lol.

@Shaz: QLD got so good as it did back in the day because we had a heated rivalry between Brisbane and Gold Coast. It really is good to have rivarlies like Shaz said. Tristan and Rad used to play all the time together and they probably still would be if they weren't off playing SC2. Same with Kas and Syke, and look at Kas now. He was coming like 9th in tournies when he first got here lol.

King Kong

Smash Lord
Haha!! I think you are unawares of whom you're speaking to. Shaz has played the best in Japan and American.

I cant wait to go to Europe later this year so I can be just like you newbies "I haz been and seen the good players so i knowz all about smash!!"

And I plan on doing ok over in Europe too. Bringer did.

peace out

Surgi

Smash Journeyman
i dont think australia sucks we just are a late blooming country. Europe and america got to a high level of skill much faster than us because of their greater population. If we wanted to we could be as good but most people in aus cant be bothered. Untill we start trying to improve more than them then we can remain a backwater in the eyes of america and europe

S.D

Smash Master
Europe and USA have like biweekly tournaments in almost every state and region.

That means people can be playing tournaments on just about a weekly basis if they travel a little.

When you play that frequently against top players you improve.

We get those opportunities very rarely, therefore improve at a slower rate.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer

That means people can be playing tournaments on just about a weekly basis if they travel a little.

Just to put this into context:
North America = 350 million+
Europe = 350+ million
Japan = 130 million (but squished into a landmass the size of NSW)
Australia = 20 million

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
It's true about the level of care we put into our game also. I was heartbroken in the States when a certain well-known crew came and shook my chair, called me names like '****-sandwich' and generally were bad-sports to me whenever I played any of their members...which I ended up doing three times throughout the brackets lol. Ultimately it was this crew that ended up knocking me out actually. It wasn't only them I saw with this behavious either :(. It's funny how far some people will go when there's money on the line ....so I guess that's one good thing about Australia..we talk big on the forums, but regardless of the ego's we're all good friends at the end of the day, and it shows come majors :). Australia wins lol.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Should change the Australian room's tag-line to "We aren't Richards"

Alzi

Smash Master

Wise wise wise wise words.

We are all humans. Europeans or Americans arn't some kind of robot. Plus anyway who cares we have a better country then Europe and America put together.

Surgi

Smash Journeyman
Alzi , that is the most subjective thing you could have possibly said. No Australia isn't better than america and europe combined because they have unparalelled amount of beautiful landscapes and an incredible range of flora and fauna that we could never accomidate. It is true that Australia is a very unique country in our personalities and our attitudes (similar things but deserve to both be mentioned i think) but then hey, so is Italy and Ireland and France and Canada and Hawaii and a whole number of other places. Everywhere is special so untill you find two countries identical, you can't compare them. We have aspects better than them, they have aspects better than us. I mean where is Australia can you get blankets of pure white snow covering feilds like you can in Canada apart from in the mountains? And even then. No, Austalia is a much more rugged beauty and therefore cannot be compared to another country objectively. Imagine trying to compare pasta to noodles, you may like one more than the other but there is no definite criteria which both can fit in to and be judged by. Alzi consider your posts before you post them.

Sieg

Smash Champion
@Shaz: It was CoK wasn't it?

We have the Great Barrier Reef, get wrecked other countries, your waters aren't as bountiful as ours.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
The Hawaiians? No they weren't. Their best didn't do any better than I did if I can recall:

[snip]

You need more than just a crew of a few good players. You need a large community to set standards to meet your potential.
Out of curiosity, what are those rankings from? They're obviously not Genesis.

Surgi

Smash Journeyman
Aha Curse you China and USA!

Edit: the rest of my post was dumb so I removed it.

@Cronos - It doesn't matter what he was trying to be, if he goes and posts whatever he feels like saying he is going to insult someone one day. Also I believe that whilst Australia is an amazing country we are not perfect in any sense so we cant be 'better' than other countries. It annoys me when people make statements when they don't consider anything at all but just feel like saying it.

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Well Surgi I don't see how insulting him directly, where he WILL certainly take offense to it will fix anything. Fighting fire with fire = bad idea.

Surgi

Smash Journeyman
I don't see it as insulting him at all I am merely telling him that he is being overly subjective and shouldn't make ill considered posts in case someone takes offence to them. That's all. If he takes offence to what I said and has valid reasoning to why he took offence to it then I will apologise and retract all comments.

Atticus

Smash Journeyman
ACTUALLY - Falcon IS in fact changed from NTSC to Pal. NTSC nair has more knockback, which makes it far superior in terms of comboing - it doesn't sound much but it is a huge buff. Also falcon's jab cancel is much harder to do in NTSC. I think he may also have a slightly faster ground speed but don't quote me on that.
Sorry to bring up an old post but I was curious about this since it wasn't on the changelist thread and tested Falcon's nair at various percents today in both versions - the knockback appears to be exactly the same.

S.D

Smash Master
Sorry to bring up an old post but I was curious about this since it wasn't on the changelist thread and tested Falcon's nair at various percents today in both versions - the knockback appears to be exactly the same.
Really? huh... well I could have sworn NTSC nair pops them up a little higher for easier combos. Maybe I'm wrong but I've heard the same from various sources and it def seems to have different properties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom