• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NTSC Melee as a tournament standard in Australia

Do you want to play NTSC in Australian Melee tournaments? (Votes are public)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
colder isn't a word? it doesn't describe a psychical feeling of being cold? but hotter is a word?

first I've heard of it, if indeed you are correct and colder isn't a real word in science terms then scientist are dumb and science is dumb.

oh wait, I bet dumb isn't a real science word either, oops.

Sirias

Smash Champion
... That's what people are doing.
They're voting or posting for which one they'd prefer...? Right...? c:

Also I don't think so, Dif.
We wouldn't have just changed because that means everyone buying a new console and game, lol. c:
We're familiar with PAL, so why are we discussing this, especially when we've said, basically, there aren't any significant changes?
I don't see the NTSC guys wondering if they should play PAL, or do they...
In any case, like I said, it's unfair on the people who don't like it, considering they'll have to play a version they don't know well (despite having no drastic changes). HOWEVER, if we stick with PAL, then it's a fair playing ground. All have played it, all have it.
So, if anything, this is a pointless thread.

... I'm getting fat again...
TYM 4 JIM!

Edit:

Dif, I get the feeling you're talking from a scientific POV.
Where-as he's just talking about the word/definition.
I'm pretty sure colder is a word, but you're saying it's not a physical property.
We're not talking about the property.
We're just talking about the word.

Actually now that I think about it, was he using 'colder' in a scientific explanation of something?

Also I think 'more less heat' does make sense, in a pretzel kind of way.
Basically you're saying things only have heat (science lol, so... 'logical'), and that's true.
BUT!
When things don't have much heat you don't go:
"That's so LESS HEAT."
Do you.
You say:
"That's so COLD."
Which makes sense.
You're turning the definition of cold into something where it only has the ONE meaning of 'less heat'.
Where it could also be "lack of" or "lacking heat".
So... Colder is "a more (of a) lack(ing) of heat".
Doesn't that make more sense?
It also makes sense if you go:
"That's (so) LACKING HEAT!"
Though it sounds ********.

Edit 2:

The same could be said of hotter, too.

Edit 3:

Way to give up so quick, Luke.
Wait a sec, you 'just said' that cold isn't a physical property, it's a 'lack of heat'.
... So then why say, afterwards, it's 'less heat' just to confuse him, lol.

Also centrifugal force isn't a 'thing' it's a result of gravity and inertia and all that crud, I cbf explaining.
That doesn't mean it's not a word or anything of the sort.
Which would lead me to say... being cold isn't a 'thing' it's a result of losing heat.
Which means it's a physical property, because a 'lack of heat' (where heat is a property) is just another way of being 'cold'.
I.E - COLD IS LACKING HEAT WHICH IS A PROPERTYYY.
I dunno, I've been playing too many Pheonix Wright games.

Surgi

Smash Journeyman
Shadow Temple, trying to find the mirror shield
aha how did this topic get to the meaning of colder. My phone has it in word bank therefore it is a word. To elaborate on kas' very confusing statements in a mathematical sense then it should be thought of as (cold) x er or, more x (cold). Factor in the definition of cold you get more x (less x heat) not more x less x heat. Expand and the term and it becomes a greater amount less heat which means -colder>cold if you multiply an inequality by a negative you have to change the sign them it becomes colder<cold. Lol sorry im so nerdy guys. In short colder is a word in a english and scientific sense case closed and you arent dumb luke your grammar is fine

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Cold and colder are words. they're however only quantifiable in relation to a defined temperature (eg. humans feel 'colder' when the surroundings are too far beneath their set body temperature).
My original purpose of pointing this out was because it's improper to introduce a new parameter (colder, which as I mentioned is quantifiable in relation only).

If we ask ourselves 'why did the chicken cross the road?" the only rational answer you could give would be 'because the chicken crossed the road.'. Anything beyond this answer would be speculation, as the question itself lacks further evidence (assuming the question is our only data) of anything except a chicken crossing a road.

So Luke, you're fine mate. Colder is a word just as valid as hotter. It's just not something you'd favour in a scientific report without validating and quantifying with data. :)

Also, Surgi relax! You're not a nerd for knowing -2X is smaller than -X, just a year 7. Once you come in here and start speiling about thermo-dynamics with your opinion on quasistatic enthalpy I'll give you a pair of goggle-glasses and some crooked fake-teeth.
Also, cases are closed by residing judges, not attorneys ;)

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
*Unreon puts hand up and proclaims "Me! I'm smart!"*
*Puzzle completion chimes from Zelda series play for Unreon.*
Nice one :). If you were a circus animal you'd be an elephant, 'cause you're certainly on the ball xD

*Plays the item get jingle from Zelda series for Mic*
If you were a circus animal Mic you'd be the gorilla handing out fairy-floss to the kids, then springing fourth out of your gorilla suit as they turn their back UpBing them into submission.

LarryLD

Smash Cadet
My vote breaks the deadlock, pal wins!

Summary of my understanding of this debate: NTSC would confuse new players and possibly turn them away, if it ain't broken don't fix it.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
i agree that i would suck for new people to turn up
setup in hand
only to be told "actually we don't play the australian version"

Toby.

Smash Master
Sykes points are all very valid, and in line with my thoughts.

@ Toby - I appreciate what you're getting at, however your statement is erroneous as;
Factor A: As I mentioned doesn't require a new-comer to be in effect - the buffs will still exist.
Factor B: As I mentioned doesn't require an NTSC veteran to be in effect - the confusion will still exist.
Thus neither are co-dependant. Read back and check your reasoning :)

Additionally consider these pieces of information as food for thought:

Not all characters change in NTSC.
Some characters rely on combos more than others.
Some people are heavily dependant on one main character.

These are only a few things that will cause discrepencies.
Read back and check what I wrote - I didn't say say that they are co-dependent insofar as the confusion or buffs cannot exist without the other. My statement was targeted at the qualifying "Bad" that you labeled them with. They only take on the value of bad when the other exists. They both exist without need of the other...it's just that they require the presence of the other for it to actually be "bad".

Of course I was pretty tired when I wrote my break down and can't remember if I made that clear. I'm pretty sure I did though :p

Oh and wubs sam.

S.D

Smash Master
I don't think that logistically NTSC could ever replace PAL, and as a PAL region TO's are obligated to run the version dominant in their region. This is all mainly hypothetical, but still very interesting...

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
Just IMO NTSC would be better in theory due to when it comes to travelling to America it's the same game. Just it would be hard to get enough NTSC set ups down here though lol.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
not for nsw, we usually have like, what 4 or 5 setups at boost's sd?
you've got a copy of ntsc, I've got one, teds got one, ea's got one, I assume unreons got one, thats 5, problem solved.

Surgi

Smash Journeyman
lol it depends what you mean by alot, and by soon i cant say i see a group of 15 smashers all going to the US at once, i mean it is very expensive but if you guys have the money then by all means, prove me wrong but gut feeling is that maybe 5 people will go if that

King Kong

Smash Lord
Honestly, I'm pretty sure that practicing NTSC will help very little in terms of closing the skill gap with America. We've been playing PAL for years and we're still considerably worse than Europe, there are simply not enough people in this country for the size of it, making nationals infrequent and costly to attend.

peace out

Dekar289

Smash Hero
just so we're clear
the idea isn't t play ntsc to make us better somehow lol

Sirias

Smash Champion
I don't think we're that much worse than Europe, apart from the top players (1st and 2nd) in each city, in which they pretty much rrrraaaappppeeee us.

Also, yeah. This is about preference, not getting better.
Like I said before, those who don't own NTSC would have to get a new console + NTSC, isn't that a bit lame? Not that it's TOO bad.
We all have PAL or have played it.
What's the big deal.
NTSC is more broken, why do we wanna play a game with more broken-ness? Isn't PAL supposed to be the most fixed version?

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Who's played these euro guys that supposedly own us? If anyone are there vids?
I should be coming for next monthly.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
there's this guy called who armada who came 2nd at genesis
and at the major after that he brought along amsah
pound 4 results: 1st mango 2nd hbox 3rd amsah 4th armada

Surgi

Smash Journeyman
Yes! he can and we can help him do it :D ok dek put it this way its that or try make me better than armada. LOL what would you prefer?

@ Cao(down) lol everyone is better than England XD

But cao makes a good point we arent the worst PAL Country and thats what counts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom