• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[NSW] Western Sydney Dramacraft: The home of drama!

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
There's no quarentine.
There's not? Urgh then what was all that bs I was told leading up to the trip? Feel like hitting someone...

Then again, that's good news. Yay.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Do you mean 'pre-trials' Zero?

Trials are generally done as a state wide thing, with different institutions 'banding' together to make various exams (usually the Catholics make one, public schools make one, etc etc) that those schools do.

I'm pretty sure they have that exam set up to be specifically the LAST thing you do before HSC finals.

Zero

Smash Hero
@shaya: as far as i know, that's not the case. Unless our assessment calendar is wrong or out of date, that is.

@tim; you are correct.

@fta: i've also heard the same. The general theory is that people prepare more for the actual test and thus perceive it as easier.

or it could actually be easier. Here's hoping ;d

Zero

Smash Hero
uhh, forgive me, but before we start power rankings, we should develop a semi-large scene. Atm we're the weakest scene in term of numbers (definitely the highest skilled scene now though) at about 20 active people, so we should do a hardcore advertising drive at our school, universities, community places of interests, and all of the local EB games and game stoores. Advertising our scene is integral before the scene will really benefit from power rankings. Also, more active tournaments kthx pls.

swordsaint

Smash Master
Zero.

'nuff said.

I think if we're also looking to maintain numbers then something bigger or better than emu plains might be necessary.

tedeth

Smash Master
The fact that the scene is small makes no difference. The thing that will inspire people to get better is seeing someone on the list and them saying "I can totally beat the person", then they will get really angry and strive to beat them.

The power rankings would only consist of 10 players anyway.

Sylvan

Smash Apprentice
I haven't been to a tourney in like. . . 5 months or something ridiculous. But if I can bring me and my bro, that's 2 more people, out of 20 that's a 10% increase =D

I need to play smash more. . . but I'm dreading how much my wii will cost to get it repaired.

Pirate.

Smash Apprentice
Zeroooo said:
uhh, forgive me, but before we start power rankings, we should develop a semi-large scene. Atm we're the weakest scene in term of numbers (definitely the highest skilled scene now though) at about 20 active people, so we should do a hardcore advertising drive at our school, universities, community places of interests, and all of the local EB games and game stoores. Advertising our scene is integral before the scene will really benefit from power rankings. Also, more active tournaments kthx pls.
this. If the intention is to get improvements, i think if efforts were placed into something like this (exposure, to increase the scene/community), rather than power-rankings, would yield much greater results.

The regularity of accessible meets for the community is also quite an issue, there's no point having power rankings, if there is no interaction of the smashers, in order to improve and change the rankings. I'm sure one of the main aims for alot of people, is to get better, without having an elitist top 10 party. Which: is an intimidating sight for newcomers, causes unnecessary rivalry and angst in the community, and will probably further fuel the boys club/inner clique mentality which i find pretty apparent on these boards.

I think smash is plenty competitive enough, without needing a top 10 list in order to give the members +1 ego. I don't need any more inspiration to get better, just for there to be some meets and for me to go to them.

Scootz said:
We need a bigger scene Ted. It's impossible to argue against that.
Lol'd when i read that.

--

My post reads a bit harshly, but hopefully will at least get a small amount of discussion, or flaming, either is fine. <3 :laugh:

tedeth

Smash Master
^ TL:DR

size of the scene is enough to do power rankings in that the strength of the scene warrants it.

we are discussing power rankings right?

pretty sure ted didnt say anything about not wanting the scene to grow
Right on the money Tim.

There's no point in not having power rankings. It will encourage people to try and better their game and concentrate on beating certain people. As the power rankings evolve, the places will change. If someone gains a spot on the rankings, they will indeed get +1 to ego Enigmalik, but they will get +10 to the amount of people who will strive to beat them. In this way, it will create growth within the already existing scene, aswell as giving newcomers something to aspire to.

SummonerAU

Smash Lord
How exactly do power rankings work? Everyone has a rank and if someone lower beats someone higher then the winner gets the rank?

gopobox

Smash Journeyman
Right on the money Tim.

There's no point in not having power rankings. It will encourage people to try and better their game and concentrate on beating certain people. As the power rankings evolve, the places will change. If someone gains a spot on the rankings, they will indeed get +1 to ego Enigmalik, but they will get +10 to the amount of people who will strive to beat them. In this way, it will create growth within the already existing scene, aswell as giving newcomers something to aspire to.

newcomers ie me.
sorry i felt like saying something

tedeth

Smash Master
Yay. New people ftw. Add me on MSN if you have it shmedhouse_productions@hotmail.com

Anyway, power rankings are basically an educated group opinion of where people stand in terms of skill. This is based not only on tourney results but also on things like who you lose to etc.

For example, there are two people with similar tourney results. Even though one might be slightly more impressive in sheer results, they may have a lower ranking because they lose to certain less skilled players.

The idea is to have a panel of 4 people who discuss the rankings among themselves based on players all around performance at tourneys and decide on rankings.

S.D

Smash Master
Oh is that how power rankings work? I thought it was a straight results based system. Interesting...

On another note, hello and welcome to gopobox :)

Zero

Smash Hero
I love the idea, but we need to work this in tandem with other things. The growth and activity of our scene should be our main priorities. At the moment, our scene is pitiful, with a force of about 20 active participants in the entire smash hub. More frequent tournaments, meets and general gatherings are needed, and will hopefully be provided by the more proactive members of our community. But in order to make these as successful as possible and to develop our scene even further, we must advertise. Converting people from wifi to offline play is something the Sydney scene, to my knowledge, has barely done. Reaching out to smaller communities via advertising in game shops, community centres, our schools and universities, raises awareness and therefore attendance. With a scene of over 50 or 60, power rankings would definitely be the motivational boost. But with a scene the size of ours, being ranked 10th in the power rankings means you're halfway good, halfway bad.

But this is just reiterating things that we already know, right? So let's do this ****, and make Sydney both the largest and the best scene in Australia, as we know we are.

For the panel, I vote Toby, Shaya, Ted and Luke.

EDIT: Welcome gobobox, I see you like Saber. I like Saber too. :)

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
I think the power rankings would best be resolved after a coming tounament, as we are still not really sure of the level of skill the genesis bunch are currently at in comparison to some of us. =/

SummonerAU

Smash Lord
I think that it would be better to have the panel spread between the main regions of the current smash scene 'in' NSW as the tourneys are spread between the regions and people are less likely to travel 'large' distances for a tourney. Therefore, I propose that the panel should have 1 person from ACT, 1 from Hunter and 2 from Sydney (1 East and 1 West).

Bah, do what you want. I don't even care that much.

Top Bottom