• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[NSW] Western Sydney Dramacraft: The home of drama!

tedeth

Smash Master
Yeah TO's was the original idea for the panel.

We did discuss the rankings in America but, obviously, all that we discussed was the rankings based on skills and performances of players before we left including ourselves.

swordsaint

Smash Master
I think that with the tournament your planning ted, the rankings should be based off that for the baseline. Consider the fact that people will be trying to take other players spots anyway, it's going to change and become more accurate soon anyway.

tedeth

Smash Master
you can't base power rankings off 1 tourney. That goes against the entire point of them. The idea is to have power rankings based on tourneys over the past 3-4 months.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
I like the idea of Power Rankings. I was hearing a little of the discussion/planning for it in America and it seems like it's quite solidly thought out. Just need to get it started.

I don't think the fact that we have power rankings means there's less focus on "more important" things like community growth. The community will grow as it does, it's still up to us to raise awareness or whatever. Power Rankings are something for the existing community to participate in, I don't believe it will exclude those not already in the community.

IMO we should make the initial rankings after the next tourney, obviously using data from all tourneys over the previous 3-4 months as Ted said. HOW people improve between tourneys (whether it be by going to another country and playing loads of people 100x better than you, or going to a friend's place and just playing that person for a day) is not the business of the panelists or the rankings. Over time it'll become apparent who's better and who's improved by how much. Finding that out is the POINT of Power Rankings, there's no need to delay it until we personally "find out" ourselves.

swordsaint

Smash Master
It's only a baseline. It'll change and become more accurate as time passes anyway. Considering how people went to America and increased their skill. Any tournament results over the past few months will very likely, be wrong.

Sieg

Smash Champion
Although the idea of power rankings is always good in intention, it generally never works out.

I'm not saying that you should stop, but rather that they are hard to manage and generally get forgotten about.

That's what happened the last 4 times we tried to do it lol.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
To contribute further...

Power Rankings is based on the ATTEMPT to take tournament results, which don't factor in 'chaos', as subjective as that would be, and with the help of the panelists try and deduce that to a list of 'the rankings of the best players'.

for example, a guy who usually comes top 5 in tournaments the day of a tournament breaks his pinky or some ****, NO JOHNS (maybe?) but that one tournament he came like 15th. Obviously this guy really actually sucks and in the next power rankings he shouldn't even be in the top 10 because he sucks... RIGHT GUYS?

It takes tournament results to a deeper level. It's not just about the placements in the tournament, it's about who you PLAYED in the tournament and how you did against those players.
If Scoot gets first or second at every tournament that Shaya, tcranter or S.D don't show up to, but when all three are there can struggle to get top 8; whilst he shows that a 'scene's metagame' of players without some powerhouses he does well, yet those players he beats do same or better WITH the powerhouses, it would lead the panelists to conclude that in the toughest conditions those who lose to scoot but do well against 'us' may be better in the power rankings.

Yes we thought that the 4 TOs should be the panelists, and the 3 of us in the United States discussed what we thought the rankings of the 10 players we'll put in the power rankings should be. If the 4 panelists reign true, Zero will give some input and we'll go from there.

Also, we hope to release a list before the next tournament to be based on pre-genesis.
Things like character choices are not included.
Power Rankings are players only, and like a 'tier list' are to be argued placements by their 'highest level play'... blah b lah blah.

Q?

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Hmm. I thought making a list after the next tourney would be a good idea for organisation's sake, so that a list isn't made completely out of the blue.

But making one beforehand to avoid the Genesis/Evo confusion is a far better idea. Good ****, looking forward to it. :3

isthattim?

Smash Ace
ooooh, double post, cao's gonna be sooooo mad

now for some constructive input: are power rankings going to be used to seed pools y/n
cos imo that's a really good reason to care about them but also may lead to people constantly complaining/ getting too serious about them

Zero

Smash Hero
I'd say it'd be up to the TO's discretion, however I personally would use the Hunter Valley tournament rankings for my own tournaments in the HV, as they are completely objective.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
I think toby should be on the panel, sure he's not a TO but he is a great player, he's smart and very perceptive and analytical, also he's one to put logic before bias.

maybe a panel of 5?

Zero

Smash Hero
Actually Luke has a point, an odd number of panelists is vital if ever a disagreement occurs and a vote needs to take place. We shouldn't have to resort to voting, but as a precautionary measure, it would be wise.

S.D

Smash Master
That is a good idea. The other way we can use them is to hold true "Amateur" tourneys which would be tourneys for those outseide the power rankings.
We don't really have the numbers to support true 'amateur' events imo. If time permits and those people are also included in the tournaments proper then I say it might be a viable option. Panelists are gunna have to check out loads of players to come to decisions on this.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
For seeding purposes, you could always have state rankings based solely on data, like what Shaya's doing with the Aussie Character Rankings.

swordsaint

Smash Master
I think Toby definately is deserving but I just think TO's are more appropriate. Though I'd say Toby > shaya since I can imagine Shaya being bias. =P

Sylvan

Smash Apprentice
Well then, why change it if it already works? :3
It's really hard to get a good representation of skill, just based on data. Some people can play entire tournaments and never fight each other, yet one will be ranked higher and the other lower. There are many different ways of interperating raw data.

My understanding of power rankings, is that people take a look at how well players are preforming, and rate them based off that.

In a power ranking, people can theoretically lose a battle, but still be ranked up (I think, lol, I'm no expert here XD) For example if someone is clearly winning a match against peach, but every item peach pulls out is a bomb, and then the peach just wins by just a few % Then clearly, there is something wrong with the match, and the non-peach person shouldn't be ranked down for this. Yet in a tourney, someone could legitimately win like this, which would affect normal rankings.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
It's really hard to get a good representation of skill, just based on data. Some people can play entire tournaments and never fight each other, yet one will be ranked higher and the other lower. There are many different ways of interperating raw data.

My understanding of power rankings, is that people take a look at how well players are preforming, and rate them based off that.

In a power ranking, people can theoretically lose a battle, but still be ranked up (I think, lol, I'm no expert here XD) For example if someone is clearly winning a match against peach, but every item peach pulls out is a bomb, and then the peach just wins by just a few % Then clearly, there is something wrong with the match, and the non-peach person shouldn't be ranked down for this. Yet in a tourney, someone could legitimately win like this, which would affect normal rankings.
I wasn't talking about using it for Power Rankings.

I LAG

Smash Lord
ok i just got home and read the last few pages
and your talking about POWA RANKINGS and how we need more meets and tourneys and maybe sponsors and also we need a larger seen
fill me in if i missed anything

also would you guys like a wifi night again this sunday?

tedeth

Smash Master
So apparently there are a few melee players that live relatively close to me. I'm hoping to get them to my next tourney.

Speaking of my next tourney, I'm thinking late August. Either the 23rd or the 30th.

D0N

Smash Ace
Hello, I just came to Australis from the states. Im at CSU(Bathurst) and I was looking for people nearby or people in Sydney to play. Only brawl, im no good at melee. Im looking forward to meeting/playing you guys so if there are any tournies or meets that I find out about Ill do my best to show up if I can.

Zero

Smash Hero
As far as I know, there's no one out CSU way, so to find local Smashers you'll have to ask people at the university. As for tournaments, we'll try and amp it up regarding frequency.

Welcome to Australia as well!

Top Bottom