• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official NSW - Next Event: use discord or facebook i'm lazy

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
So first of all, i'd just like to say that i'm officially voting we change the name of this country to 'land of the backthrows'. :troll:

But nah, j/ks guys, this tournament was absolutely fantastic and i'm over the moon about it all. Everybody was having a great time despite the fact it was like 50 billion degrees in there for most of the day; and I made plenty of new friends whilst solidifying the old.

I'll do a ridiculously long list of shoutouts a little later, but rest assured that although my voice was totally screwed the entire time, I loved being there and being a part of everything. Good stuff, guys!! :D

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
So first of all, i'd just like to say that i'm officially voting we change the name of this country to 'land of the backthrows'. :troll:

But nah, j/ks guys, this tournament was absolutely fantastic and i'm over the moon about it all. Everybody was having a great time despite the fact it was like 50 billion degrees in there for most of the day; and I made plenty of new friends whilst solidifying the old.

I'll do a ridiculously long list of shoutouts a little later, but rest assured that although my voice was totally screwed the entire time, I loved being there and being a part of everything. Good stuff, guys!! :D
Land of the backthrows? That sounds interesting. Love to see the replays :p
What were your placings tho? Going to assume you won something XD

Last edited:

SummonerAU

Smash Lord
Results for Smash City 2

Smash City 2 Project: M Pro
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
Tedeth
$30.00
2nd
Trissy
$15.00
3rd
Zxv
$5.00
4th
SummonerAU
5th
Cunchy
5th
Star
7th
Zorsy
7th
Unreon
9th
M
9th
Gords

Image: https://i.imgur.com/PhjhDye.gif
Smash City 2 Melee Pro
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
Qx
$42.00
2nd
Tedeth
$21.00
3rd
Zxv
$7.00
4th
RJ
5th
trissy
5th
Cao
7th
Birdies
7th
Cunchy
9th
Unreon
9th
zorsy
9th
Christian
9th
Glissy
13th
MC
13th
RCJay

Image: https://i.imgur.com/mx8ELPj.gif
Smash City 2 Smash 4 Pro Bracket
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
Luco
$25.60
2nd
Zero
$10.40
3rd
Shaya
$4.00
4th
M
5th
Zxv
5th
Patv
7th
Gords
7th
Zorsy

Pools results to be added

Last edited:

Gords

Smash Champion
So just to confirm, I should go and cancel my wii U pre-order btw? =?
you can if you want but I would wait till i get confirmation from nintendo that our meet and provided photos are acceptable (cant see why not but just in case). Also keep in mind you wont get your game on release day. where did you pre order btw, did you put down a deposit? you should be fine to wait up until release day to cancel your pre order as well so we have about a week.

What, gords didn't use palutena.
silly Tom. I edited myself, apparently i can do that from within his message.
also shaya you should add your dirty falco

Gords

Smash Champion
there are i will upload them during the week, likely with no sound or random tune over the top since the audio is horrible apparently

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
you can if you want but I would wait till i get confirmation from nintendo that our meet and provided photos are acceptable (cant see why not but just in case). Also keep in mind you wont get your game on release day. where did you pre order btw, did you put down a deposit? you should be fine to wait up until release day to cancel your pre order as well so we have about a week.

silly Tom. I edited myself, apparently i can do that from within his message.
also shaya you should add your dirty falco
Hmm, I pre-ordered at EB games and just decided to pay for it in full when I pre-ordered. It shouldn't be a problem, i'll be happy to wait until I get confirmation. :)

@ CyberHyperPhoenix CyberHyperPhoenix haha nono it's just that I won a free copy of smash wii U anyway from the tournament. :p

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Hmm, I pre-ordered at EB games and just decided to pay for it in full when I pre-ordered. It shouldn't be a problem, i'll be happy to wait until I get confirmation. :)

@ CyberHyperPhoenix CyberHyperPhoenix haha nono it's just that I won a free copy of smash wii U anyway from the tournament. :p
Thats good though. If ones disappears or breaks somehow, you still have the other one to play with :p

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
(Just posting this in because edits don't seem to activate tags :p )

Well I reckon it's time for shoutouts, but I have a lot of people to do them for, so uhh... well i'll do my best! :p

@ Zero Zero - It was crazy that i'd barely seen you since my early days of playing, and then to play you in GFs was so epicly cool (I must admit I was intimidated by the headphones! ;) ), and your zero suit samus was godlike (I remember looking over one of the replays and seeing you do like a 50% combo on me at one point)! Each individual match was pretty close I think, especially the first one where you were winning and the only reason I won was a lucky edge-guard, and I really had to respect the laser even with the ability to absorb it. You play a very aggressive, fast Zero suit and it works really well. I didn't mind you going to get a drink partway through by the way (even if it might not set the best precedent from an "official" standpoint :p); and I would be happy and honoured to play you again whenever we have a tournament. :D

@ Shaya Shaya - Falco... Falco pls. ;_; But yea, seriously it was a hectic experience to go against you in a proper tournament set and I had a lot of fun even though I was terrified i'd screw up and die to a tipper smash at like 60%. That game against Falco was close enough to give me nightmares, I don't know how I even got to that point when it seemed I was being beat out by jabs every, single, time. @.@ Regardless, the set was extremely hype and symbolised a lot to me seeing as i'd played you all the time in Brawl and failed miserably and then in smash 4 it was actually really close and in the end I just have to say thankyou for everything, JP, it's actually really really helped me. :)

@ Z Zorsy - That yoshi of yours was really impressive!! I thought it was unlucky that we had to play both in swiss rounds and in bracket, but overall I was really happy you got into pro because your Yoshi has the potential to go really, really far. I was so grateful that you were happy to cheer me on and I can't wait for next tournament and hoping to see your Yoshi push the boundaries even more! I also can't wait to introduce you to Nikes :D

@Keizzz - You actually made my day! Being there and supporting me (and vice versa!) and having all those friendlies, it was so much stress relief and so much fun, and you're like the nicest guy. You should definitely keep on coming! Your Zero Suit and Robin are both very good, especially for a first time tournament player and you remind me quite a bit of myself at my first tournament. You have my FC and i'm happy to play you at anytime as you know and everything else I said to you in person still rings true. Keep being awesome!

@M - It was an honour to meet and battle you in person, as the Australian Ness that led the way back in Brawl and now your Palutena seems to be breaking boundaries too. My goodness those light-weight + superspeed combos (my build on her too! :D) were TERRIFYING, I felt so pressured the whole time, and not being able to kill you with Bthrow at a perfectly respectable 120%, before dying to your Uthrow at 150% made me immensely sad. :p Those were really good, close games!

@ Zxv Zxv - I actually feel so sad about that first game in bracket where I forgot to change it to 3 stock and time limit, I don't even know what my 3DS was doing but i'm sorry! :( In retrospect I should have just reset it I think, but still, your whole cast was REALLY good. Going against Dedede in swiss, I honestly think I would have lost had it not been for the SD and the Pac-man game was INSANELY close, down to the very end (I had fun finding out about exploding hydrants on the fly!) Also your support and kindness really helped, so thankyou so much and I can't wait to play you again!

@ Gords Gords - THE VILLAGERRRRRR! I really enjoyed those games, exploding balloons really surprised me at points and counter Timber sapling was just an infuriatingly good stage control technique. I was going for the crazy reflect on you riding the lloid rocket back to stage but you stopped me every time ahah! Also you were really kind to me whilst going about TO duties and I was really grateful for it. Thanks Gords :D

@ EverAlert EverAlert - Your little mac ruined my almost golden streak of not dropping any games!! :p But really, that KO punch gave me a heart attack and you well deserved that victory. Finding out about that delayed sideB was fun ("fun"... :D ) as well hahah, I know little mac has an annoyingly bad MU against Ness but I have to say you played it really well and made my life hell in trying to exploit his weaknesses. Like I think the only time I successfuly edge-guarded you was because I stage spiked you, not because you weren't going to recover naturally anyway. Also you were cool cat like always and it was a total pleasure playing you. ^_^

@ RJ<3 RJ<3 - i'm still so sad about you not entering the 3DS tournament, you would have done so well!! I really mean what I said, your peach is and always has been really, really good and you rep her so well. Our friendlies were a pleasure and i'd be happy to verse you again (just... maybe not with duck hunt duo... ouch! :p)

@ Invisi Invisi - Our friendship and rivalry continues into smash 4! I was saddened that your Jigglypuff didn't get into top 8, though I had a lot of fun playing friendlies with you (as always ;) ). I agree that jiggly's strengths are much better this time around, she's definitely mid if not higher. I'll be interested to see how you go with her as time goes on. Always happy to play you, my friend. :)

@Wvz - You're incredibly cool, man. Always smiling, laughing and joking about stuff and generally enjoying the atmosphere. You were great to talk to and super supportive, thankyou!

@All da newbie peeps - Guys, thanks so much for adding heart and spirit to the scene! Your presence there was awesome and made the tournament turnout feel so good. Honestly it feels like we're back up and running now with all this activity and it's so great to see so many people doing their best and having a go. You guys were awesome, and I remember being in your shoes not very long ago, so my advice is to keep practicing and you'll honestly be really surprised at just how far you go. You guys ROCK! :D

Errr, if I missed anyone then i'll edit that in asap! :3

Last edited:

Lultam

Smash Cadet
Gutted I wasn't able to make the tourney, 85 people is pretty damn impressive so well done TOs. Any idea what date you guys are thinking for December?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
@ Shaya Shaya - Falco... Falco pls. ;_; But yea, seriously it was a hectic experience to go against you in a proper tournament set and I had a lot of fun even though I was terrified i'd screw up and die to a tipper smash at like 60%. That game against Falco was close enough to give me nightmares, I don't know how I even got to that point when it seemed I was being beat out by jabs every, single, time. @.@ Regardless, the set was extremely hype and symbolised a lot to me seeing as i'd played you all the time in Brawl and failed miserably and then in smash 4 it was actually really close and in the end I just have to say thankyou for everything, JP, it's actually really really helped me. :)
You're welcome.
But iono, I'd rather much get everything beaten by my jab than everything getting beaten by your neutral air/forward air, even on block :| that nair stock at 130% made me very sad lol.

Last edited:

Zediwonder

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZediWonder
3DS FC
5069-5322-3120
It was a fun event, I didn't go in expecting to win anything and it was heaps of fun battling different characters and players from my usual friend group, huge ego boost that I came out with more wins than losses. Only bad part of the day was how pathetic cityrail was trying to get back from Mascot.

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
Not gonna lie, kinda disappointed that I didn't make bracket. Found myself in a bad matchup, and because the game is still new I didn't have the matchup experience to be able to deal with it, or a fallback character to turn to. I only really have myself to blame here though, and rest assured that I will be back next time hungry to be placing where I know that I should be.

That said, I still had a great time and learned plenty at this event. I'm as shocked as anyone else at the growth of the scene, and it doesn't seem to be slowing down any time soon. I may have just missed the glory days of brawl, but right now the glory days of smash 4 are looking even brighter, and I can't wait to be a part of them.

SummonerAU

Smash Lord
Fantastic turnout on Sunday guys! We had 54 melee entrants, 40 P:M entrants and 39 smash 4 entrants. After signups were taken, we had 85 total people!!! Even though the conditions of the room were harsh, everyone still got their games done and played some amazing sets. The GF sets between Qx and Ted were some of the most hype sets i've seen in sydney for a long time and it was fantastic to be a apart of it. It was great to see so many new faces and I hope you all enjoyed yourself and everything ran smooth enough for you.

I have to apologise for the challonge stuff up during the day. I decided to have the brackets in both challonge and TIO because i'm dumb and it turned out challonge and TIO manage losers' bracket differently and match people up differently. Thankfully it didn't end up affecting people that much and we caught it early, but it's my solely my fault for the stuff up. I won't let it happen again in the future.

Some shoutouts

Everyone who helped managed pools: Thank you so much for the effort you put it, it really made the day run a lot smoother. I really appreciate anyone who stood up and helped manage them.

@ EverAlert EverAlert / @GTR : thanks for all the work you both put in managing the 'streaming' setup and everything else throughout the day. Sucks to hear the audio got messed up in the recordings. Extra shoutouts to GTR for just showing up to help manage things and not enter any events.

@ Luco Luco : Congrats on winning the first big sydney smash 4 tournament! It's always nice to see someone win their first tournament, and you did it without dropping a game in pro bracket (according to the results anyway). Make sure you savour your first tournament victory, but don't get complacent in your training! People are going to come after your placement now, so be prepared.

@ Zero Zero : Nice run from losers bracket to end up second. It seemed like you started to figure out some stuff towards the end of the set, but I guess it just wasn't fast enough. Maybe you should get zoot suit to wear bigger heels with more rockets or something next time.

@ Shaya Shaya : something something tripping something brawl something curse. Thank you so much for sorting out the extra seating an the extra space at the end of the room in the morning. I had my hands full trying to get brackets up at that point, it was very, very, very, very much appreciated.

@Qx : Nice to meet you! Watching your sets with Zxv and Ted was incredible. Very nice bracket reset against Ted. Sunday was a crazy day for your first introduction to the Sydney scene, sorry about the heat and size of the venue! I hope you enjoyed your time at the venue and I can't wait to see your future sets in tournament.

@ tedeth tedeth : That last set against Qx was mad tense. Sucks to see you having some tech issues at key moments :( You'll get em next time buddy

@ Zxv Zxv : Looked like you weren't even playing at a 3rd of what you're capable of. Why you gotta be 4 stocking me with fox in losers finals. I don't want it to end like this ;_;

@ trissy trissy : Awesome to meet you duder. Sorry about the rough introduction to the Sydney scene, especially with the flights to and from sydney on the same day. You seemed really cool and it was so great to watch your samus in the few matches I got a chance to watch. It seems like you adapted to project: m samus really quickly!

@ Z Zorsy / @ P patv : That after tournament chicken was amazing! thanks for the heads up about the place. It was so cool hanging with you guys after the tournament.

@MC/@RCJay/@Cunchy: I'm still amazed at how much you three have improved at melee over the past few months. Those UNSW meets must really be something special. Keep it up! I'm really interested in seeing how you two develop as players, you'll be getting top 5 soon!

@Star☆: Tagging you is literally impossible. Sucks about the 3.5 changes to sonic so soon to the tournament, I hope you can adapt to them before you head down to melb! I don't really remember enough about our games to comment on them, but I could tell you still aren't comfortable with 3.5 Sonic.

@Plebastian Sooksalotti: pls get better at dota

@Everyone who attended: Thank you all so much for turning out in such numbers! It really makes me happy to see the scene grow so much and it's great to see you all having fun. You're all amazing and make the sydney smash scene incredible.

Finally, some more stats about the day. We ended up playing 83 PM sets, 109 smash 4 sets and 114 melee sets by my calculations. The final pot size for each even was $195 for smash 4, $200 for PM and $270 for Melee.

Last edited:

Zxv

Smash Lord
Hey guys, if anybody accidentally took a plastic bag with them that had a black gamecube with a Mad Catz sticker on it, a Wii that says "do not consume" written in black sharpie and some cans of deodorant, could you please contact me or SummonerAU.

trissy

Smash Rookie
hey guys,

thanks so much for the tourney had a blast coming down there and meeting everyone:)

@ Gords Gords , thanks for probably the most well run tourny ive ever been to. so organised... with oh so many people. great freakn work matey. you sir are a legend.

@cao, good to see you again. didnt get to vs you but thats cool. maybe next time.

@Ted, nice work winning pm and coming 2nd in melee mate. our games were tight as. it would be lovely to come to a meet and grind some friendlies out with you. but yeah youra awesome dude nice meeting you. feel free to come up to qld for a tourny, ill house ya.

@qx, congrats on the win mate you played well.

@Tom, freakn legend. pushing everyone to finish their matches so that i would make my matches and flights. haha love you always buddy thanks so much once again.

@ Zxv Zxv , hey bro had some great matches with u in PM. didnt get to vs u in melee but maybe next time:)

but yeah once again thanks for the tourney everyone. my time down their was brief. but im gunna bring my bro to one of the next tournies in the future and hopefully more qlders too.

Gords

Smash Champion
i will upload the vods during the coming week, havent done them yet since my internet has been taken up with constant streaming and I need to figure something out for the audio since atm its terrible

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
just upload it with the audio how it is. turning audio off or putting music over it is something people can do by themselves if it bothers them that much, there's no need to force people to not be able to listen to game sound. audio is something to fix in future, not something to worry about with these vods.

Last edited:

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
a big thanks to gords for not only hosting a sick meet this weekend, but all the time always making his place available to people and also for spending an actual fortune on dr pepper for everyone.

hey gords, whats your shoe size?

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Great tournament. I'm a bit disappointed with my placing in Project M but I hope to improve in time for the next one. Hopefully we get enough time for PM Crews next time; shame it was canceled because of time restraints.

Last edited:

Lex__

Smash Journeyman
https://www.facebook.com/events/359415404236787/

Smash Gym 4

IT IS 18+

When: 2pm- 7pm (can be extended), 7th of December (this sunday)
Where: Club Burwood. 97 Burwood Rd, Burwood
How much: $5
What games: Whatever smash games people bring
Free entry if you bring a setup. (tv + Console)

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
By the way, when we do our next smash city, is it possible perhaps for it to be held on a Saturday? My brother works on Sundays and I'd love to be able to bring him along if it isn't too much hassle. :)

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
I believe the main reason we've been holding them on Sundays is because that's when the venue is available, or at least when we can book it at a discounted rate. They're a lot busier on Saturdays, and we'd have to pay more for the venue and book well in advance. Besides, at the rate we've been growing I'm not sure they could handle us on top of a regular Saturday crowd!

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Hmm, though if we are looking for a bigger venue, then this gets tossed up in the air... well, hopefully it works out. I'd love to bring my brother and have 8-player smashes and whatnot. :p

Speaking of multi-pkayer events, what will be the consensus on doubles and even 4v4's next tournament? Would it take too much time, I wonder...?

Last edited:

Gords

Smash Champion
the day of the weekend on which tournaments take place is always subject to venue availability and costs.

4v4 smash 4 will likely be the exhibition event at the future Smash Citys, if i was ever going to run more than 4 player smash as a general event it would likely be 3v3 as this feels better and less hectic to play.

Top Bottom