• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[NSW] Hunter Valley Smash - Back in business!

S.D

Smash Master
Good tip - I just have trouble motivating myself to start.

It just seems like such an insurmountable task at first, where nothing makes sense and you're always confused and scared ;(

Seems like you need a big few sessions to get started out or something. I must use my spare time better. Less nanny naps.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
if your into japanese watching anime (subs) and playing smash and other games in japanese helps and may be the starting point you need.

Dedu

Smash Lord
Luke that helps if you are fairly proficient in the language and are able to read more than 50% of what is being displayed... At least.

It helps at times but if you don't understand most of it then its not much use for you at the moment...

Zero - best Japanese learning for me was the Japanese Learning Coach on DS. And yes, I've tried other methods and unfortuantely listening tapes don't do well for me... Which is what I tend to miss out on in learning another language.

Zero

Smash Hero
Luke - I agree, but you need a base upon which you can work on. If you have absolutely no idea about the structure or of the vocabulary, you'll get pretty lost. But once you learn bits and pieces, you can build upon your vocabulary from listening intently and either crossreferencing with the subtitles or using a dictionary. For me, anime was one of my original motivators to learn Japanese, but now language fascinates me and Japanese life and culture is something I want to partake in.

Stu- Haven't actually used the DS coach, although it'd probably be a really good resource for extra stuff. I've got three textbooks that I've been working through + teacher's extra material that I ask for, so I'm pretty much set. But since most of you aren't at school, the DS coach would probably be a good idea. I've got a whole score of PDF files for learning as well, which after a quick glance, looked full enough to teach.

Zero

Smash Hero
Well, there will be notice, still deciding on the date. Queen's Birthday long weekend will make it a lot easier on most people, but if there are already plans for that weekend then it'll be the 21st. Sunday is preferred but a Saturday is also probable.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
yeah fair enough, I did Japanese for a while and know the basics but I agree that without that it would be useless.

jamus

Smash Apprentice
Truth is wollongong ppl had a bit of a falling out, or at least tkls and i did.
Haha we had a falling out Nathan? Even though you came over last night to play smash for 3 hours? LOL (Im joking buddy)

Haha thats nice Luke. I've just been really busy with study. In 3rd year Maths and Finance degree - ridiculous amount of work. But I still want to go to another tournament, hopefully after my exams.

But good to see all you Hunter and Sydney and Canberra guys are still keeping up smash. :)

And tkls if you're still interested in smash you come to my next meet...but that will be after my exams!

idontgottaname

Smash Apprentice
i am, i just have been neglecting it. too busy. also, i am over all of the bull**** that goes on around here. i find i prefer just to not talk on the forums and just enjoy the tournaments

Dedu

Smash Lord
Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam!

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
its the internet and you can never win...
yeah I'm organizing a tourney for may 31st in Canberra (sunday) and I would love to see the Wollongong crew come down, so get back into it guys, after all your exams of course

Bjay

Smash Lord
I know they (Wollongong crew) have posted in here recently but I still love how you posted it in the Hunter thread :p

planetstereo

Smash Ace
I know they (Wollongong crew) have posted in here recently but I still love how you posted it in the Hunter thread :p
We go where the parties at.....:) HVS (or is it hsv - "Holden Special Vehicles" means they got fastness, seems fitting eh?)

@tkls sorry for being so harsh, i know you wernt yourself that day but my people tolerance wasnt what it should have been either. That and the fact that i lost $20 and didnt have enough money to get home. A few choice words may have been said in your absence tkls.

@Tcranter cant remember if i thanked you for helping me out that night, was a lifesaver, i owe you one

@jamus, did i say we had a falling out?? Sorry if i did, didnt mean to make it sound like that at all.

swordsaint

Smash Master
Since the precise date has yet to be decided, can we not have it on the SAME WEEKEND AS GENESIS? I'll be in Adelaide, and I think giving S.D such an easy first place just lacks satisfaction for him. :)

swordsaint

Smash Master
OH you're planning A JUNE tournament. My mistake. Yeah I don't care what weekend then lol.

Still, I'll be in Adelaide on that weekend. (Since I know you're looking at a tourney while the big guys are away)

Zero

Smash Hero
Bump.

Sydney guys, please post to state whether you would be willing to stay both Saturday and Sunday night in the HV, or want to return to Sydney on Sunday. The schedule depends on whether people are willing to stay, so I need to know.

Date is 7th of June as well.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
june 7th is sunday right? lololol sweet, I'ma gonna come down on the sat and stay both nights if possible (lol) if I could stay at the same place as ted and defiled then it would be a super awesome time, and I will buy dinner for whoever host's us.

Zero

Smash Hero
If you're coming with a car, Luke, I can host around 8 people, which may or may not be everyone who is coming down. So yeah, my capacity is about 8, Tom may be able to host and I can't speak for anyone else.

Zero

Smash Hero
Bump.

Sydney guys, please post to state whether you would be willing to stay both Saturday and Sunday night in the HV, or want to return to Sydney on Sunday. The schedule depends on whether people are willing to stay, so I need to know.

Date is 7th of June as well.
Reiterating for lazy peoples who can't turn the page. ^_^

Luke, any chance of ACT crew attending?

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
hmm dont know, if they did we'd have to work something else out cause they'd need to go to school/work on monday and thus come back on sunday, what time are you planning on finishing?

Zero

Smash Hero
It depends on the schedule, which depends on how many people are staying both nights. If people were staying both nights, I'd be looking at 9 to whenever, after the tournament it would just be friendlies, or even the gym challenges/crew battles. But everyone should/would be smashed out by then, so yeah. But last tourney finished at 7pm ish and we shouldn't go that long this time. No round robins.

swordsaint

Smash Master
Two nights is good for me as said above but who'll host? Andrew has a lot of space but one car. =/
Tom seems to be a good choice for one night to come on Saturday and leave on the Sunday night.
Then there is S.D, who I don't think likes me much after what I said before the last one. ::p

Jazz77vivi

Smash Journeyman
SUPER INTERUPTION OHEMGEE U PEEPLZ MUST REED DIS!!!!! =0

If this tourney is on the longweekend, then it looks like all those who are not from the Hunter Valley will be travelling by bus.

Wtfomgwat, u ask me?

Trains will not be running on the Hunter Valley Line and the Newcastle to Sydney line as of the week before the longweekend, through to the weekend after it.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooo................. :dizzy:

Unless you feel like making the trip at least 3 hrs longer by coming on a bus.... then we need to look at our options...:urg:

Zero

Smash Hero
7th is a Sunday, Toby :<

Don't fret too much about the train debacle, I can't find anything to do with it on the Cityrail website, I'll head down to the station in due time and talk to the guy there to make sure. But yeah.

It's hidden in future trackwork. ;-;

So buses are replacing trains for that weekend. So now the question is, are people willing to put up with the hassle of coming down here for the weekend?

Top Bottom