• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Norcal/Bay Area/DBR:NorCal Nevers: Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Lumpy..

Smash Ace
wow...
whiteboyninja, you shouldn't stop hosting because of what one douche is saying...
(i'll keep my **** tucked in since you already know who i'm referring to... lulz)

Shroomed

Smash Master
if you're hosting it, **** what everyone says and do it how you want to do it.......they don't like it then they don't need to go

whiteboyninja

Smash Ace
dont get me wrong. im not throwing in the towel because of what one guy is saying.

its just an ***load of work for a game im not as interested in as i used to be.

but yeah what one guy is saying definitely adds a layer of poison on top doesnt it

pockyD

Smash Legend
i thought this argument was long dead, just let it go

the only thing that happens when you try to 'defend yourself' about which game is that it opens the topic back up for discussion

Naota21t

Smash Champion
People need to stop reviving dead arguements.

He prefers melee, but he's hosting both. Thats the end of it, nothing else more to add, leave it the **** ALONE.

Anyways... I got to see Kaba Modern tonight, I recorded their whole performance, it was like 4 minutes long.

btw.... I got to dance w/ Yuri!!! Greatest night of clubbing EVAR!!!

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
um no one answered me

6 minutes instead of 7?

brawl matches easily reach past 6 minutes =\ not so much 7

is this because of time constraints?

ProdigyKid

Smash Lord
Huh whats this about me? I havent mentioned anything about Nick in the past month, except wondering why people were still b****ing about the time thing about a week ago or something.

I don't really care who likes what game anymore. just keep the opinions to yourself.

@ Naota, I think I got some email talking about Kaba Modern being in SF. Too good man.

@ choknater, with Sheridan, you never get standard rules.

oh btw I might be able to make an appearance, mainly to give Boback his sweater.

quak

Smash Champion
hey guys, some people should go early to help nick set up

frankly, i make my fests melee only, a guy tried to change a melee disk to brawl last time, punched that ****er right in the ear

nick is allowing us to use his facilities. You don't go to panda express and demand a burger. Either you eat their food no matter how ****ty and overcooked or you go somewhere else.

sorry if this ****s already been said, as im sure it has, but i don't read too much of the brawl vs melee arguments, i just instigate them.

ima go eat a ribeye for brunch, later

WassupJB

Smash Lord
chris..prom is the **** lol. i love that it, dancing with b.tches, socializing, taking a seat when your tired and making fun of people on the dance floor, talking about how girls who will NEVER look at that good again then dancing with them LOL. dude prom is fun, being superficial for one night..dude hella fun. i usually don't involve myself in conversing about that nonsense but for one night, its fun.

oh and boback is cool as all hell. lololol

sidefx

Smash Champion
i believe hes talking about how the items can still appear if you dont turn them off individually.. and stuff

and no there is no charge to get in.. but dont expect that many friendlies.. there will be 4 events going on so, almost every tv will be used

Naota21t

Smash Champion
Maybe it's because Brawl is more likely to have long campy matches? And generally Brawl sets just take longer, so they might be trying to control it with a lower time limit.

While Melee's time is just how it always is b/c... it's melee lol.

pockyD

Smash Legend
Maybe it's because Brawl is more likely to have long campy matches? And generally Brawl sets just take longer, so they might be trying to control it with a lower time limit.

While Melee's time is just how it always is b/c... it's melee lol.
...but the current ruleset directly allows for melee matches to last longer than brawl matches

and the stock : time ratio is the same for both games

if the goal is simply to control time, then shouldn't both games be alloted the same amount of time per match (even if stock allotments are different)?

sidefx

Smash Champion
my brawl sets actually take a shorter amount of time than melee did..

i was playing with king yesterday, and most of our matches were like.. 2.5-3 minutes long..

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
I never got why it's 7 and not 6. Can someone explain why.
Pocky, Brawl is 3 stock not 4 so it shouldn't be the same as Melee. Though personally I think Melee should be 6 min too /shrug

Boback yeah I've noticed that my Brawl matches are getting shorter too, but I think it could be different when it comes time to play in tourney because people tend to play more campy, whereas in friendlies people don't because it's lame.

Frigate is unbanned. Norfair is banned.

whiteboyninja

Smash Ace
Frigate is unbanned. Norfair is banned.
win. norfair sucks, frigate is fun. i knew it was a good idea /automatically agree with sheridan.

i plyed some brawl today and had absolutly no fun. but sometimes i do have fun. i hope i have fun tomorrow, but no friendlies means this tourney is gonna blow. honestly i'd prefer to have more friendlies and just drop teams but w/e.

i've already pretty much told the TOs that they're allowed to host what they feel like they can, giving the constraints of melee singles being an event, so i'll continue to leave it up to their judgement

pockyD

Smash Legend
I never got why it's 7 and not 6. Can someone explain why.
Pocky, Brawl is 3 stock not 4 so it shouldn't be the same as Melee. Though personally I think Melee should be 6 min too /shrug
make it 6 then =\

the point of making brawl 3 stock was because it was expected to take longer per stock, so whereas you could finish 4 stocks in 8 mins in melee, you could (theoretically) only expect to finish 3 stocks in 8 mins in brawl

turning down the time limit as you turn down the stock count defeats the purpose imo; if we can do 3 stocks in 6 mins, why don't we just do 4 stocks in 8 mins (except that it's BOOOOORING)?

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
make it 6 then =\

the point of making brawl 3 stock was because it was expected to take longer per stock, so whereas you could finish 4 stocks in 8 mins in melee, you could (theoretically) only expect to finish 3 stocks in 8 mins in brawl

turning down the time limit as you turn down the stock count defeats the purpose imo; if we can do 3 stocks in 6 mins, why don't we just do 4 stocks in 8 mins (except that it's BOOOOORING)?
Well if we're basing it off of Melee rules, then there was no reason to have it 3 stock 7 min instead of 3 stock 8 min.

If I made Melee 6 min I'd never hear the end of it. People just are stubborn and don't like anything but what they are used to, and although normally I wouldn't use that to cop out of an argument, Melee being 6 or 8 or whatever is simply not worth the trouble as it hardly even makes a difference. But in Brawl there's no standard yet, we can make it whatever we want. Basically my point is that we shouldn't care that Melee was 4/8, we should just do whatever works for Brawl; we don't get anything by forcing ourselves to be "consistent with Melee." I think 8 min is too long, but I don't have the audacity to change it in Melee, but I think 6 is just right in Brawl.

Why do we have time limits to begin with? I mean, we have anti-camping rules. The only reason it's there is so that if there is a situation where both players feel they are at a disadvantage in being the aggressor, the person who is "losing" is eventually forced to make a move (or lose when the clock runs out). They were never put in place to make matches shorter, they just exist to remind the losing player that he has to do something. Sure I have had tourney matches. 8 minutes is already a long ****ing time for ONE MATCH; it's longer than most sets in other fighting games.

NEW STAGE RULES:
Green Hill Zone:
OK it's no secret that on the face of it, this stage was pretty close to ban-worthy, but after having a conversation with from people who were testing the stage, and doing some testing myself, the stage has 2 problems (aside from it being an odd shape, to the extent that that is a "problem"). The first is the infinites. Falco laser lock isn't much of a deal here, but I didn't know that there were such things as non-wall jablock infinites. Apparently there are at least 14 characters that can do this, and they can be done to every character. The second is that the dominant strategy aside from infinites is to camp the sides of the stage, because the nature of the stage is such that approach is difficult; it's not a trivial matter to hit people even right next to each other on the slopes. This ordinarily isn't that much different from a character matchup where camping near the edge is the dominant strategy, but the difference is that the game becomes a matter of killing at 20-50% instead of whatever it is now. In camping the side of GHZ, sure you put yourself at risk for getting low % killed yourself, but you also set yourself up to get low % back throw kills, etc. That is to say, the metagame of GHZ is such that it is significantly different from the metagame on all other stages (even the "dumb" ones). Of course "siginificant" is a subjective word. If someone wants to make the case that it is NOT significant enough, please do so.

Bridge of Eldin:
The part about gameplay being dominated by low % kills is less applicable here, but the infinites are a much bigger problem than I had thought now that I know about jablock infinites. However since the infinites are really only a huge problem in singles, this will still be on in teams.

ProdigyKid

Smash Lord
Nick, we know that you want Melee singles, and Melee is why you are running things. Wouldn't be pretty rude to not respect your wishes?

And as much as you hate arguing about Melee/Brawl, why do you somehow bring it up in almost every one of your posts? It's pretty ironic if you ask me.

whiteboyninja

Smash Ace
hehe prodigy, i hate arguing not complainig. but i was talking to some people last night and i decided to just stop worrying about it, but if theres any more biweeklies after this it wont be until august.

doors are gonna open at about 11 tomorrow. i know this is earlier than it says in the first post, but hardly anyone shows up before 11:30 anyway

SuperRad

Smash Master
sup *****es

i haven't been coming to smash boards at all
i'm kinda over the game for now, but that's mostly because online wasn't that fun and i've been kinda too busy to play with friends face to face that often.

i'll get back into it eventually.

i got three days of high school left and i'm kinda wiggin, but whatever.

how is everyone doing these days? i haven't seen any of you for almost 6 months.

whiteboyninja

Smash Ace
IMPORTANT NOTICE - JUNE 7TH BIWEEKLY DOWNTHROW CANCELLATION

here is an email i recieved from the computer science club advisor at SJSU

Nick,

I was unaware yesterday that you were not a CS student. While the
club welcomes non-CS students as members (and perhaps even officers),
there is something a bit strange here, in that these tournaments are
almost completely unassociated with the club. The one club officer I
have heard from so far didn't know of any affiliation between the
tournaments and the club (although I suppose that these tournaments
helped the club to get its Wii), which makes it odd for you to use
the club room for the tournaments. In the end, before deciding that
these can happen, I think we need to discuss the matter with the new
club officers, to decide if the club wants to continue them to run or
not.

the CS club president actually supported me on this, saying that its fine so long as there is am approved moniter (and yen was suggested, she will be in attendance) but to which another email was sent

I am not against the idea of resuming the tournaments over the summer, but I think we should try to work out details first, as to whether or not they are really appropriate, and who should be supervising them. David Kilgore has been involved with the club for years, including being an officer, with a key. Even then, it was perhaps borderline legitimate to run tournaments with lots of non-SJSU affiliated attendees. It is probably over the line to be doing the same while handing the keys to the CS Club room to a non CS club officer, non former officer, non CS student.

there is obviously nothing i can do. this is out of my power at this point, and unfortunatly i have to cancel the event.

i have sent him an email asking him to reconsider being that it is NOT convinient to cancel on such short notice, but if he does not respond very shortly, there is nothing i can do.

oh and BTW if i ever host any more of these, boback is not welcome to come. he's cussed me out for the last time.

sidefx

Smash Champion
i called jason about switching his tournament from sunday to saturday ( completely based on his own opinion on if he can do it or not) and he said he would call them and find out if he can or not

whiteboyninja

Smash Ace
please spread the word that this biweekly will not be happening. if i can i will have someone at sjsu campus post something at the door, but i would prefer that no one has to show up to a locked room.

i think i just retired from competitive smash. this just isnt worth it.

sidefx

Smash Champion
meatfest was a dinner arrangement with a bunch of norcal people that happened last week.. i dont know why i still have the sig up for it

Top Bottom