• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Norcal/Bay Area/DBR:NorCal Nevers: Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

RPK

Smash Lord
Nope. No cubes or Wiis have been stolen at NCBs (for as long as I have been going to them, which has been a while). I doubt anyone would want to steal a cube at this point. I think Melee itself is as much as a cube now.

But be aware, you're responsible for your own stuff, so don't blame Nick, Yen or a TO if something happens. But again, its unlikely your stuff will get stolen, since NorCal doesn't roll like that.
On the other hand I think like a long *** time ago someone took my wavebird receiver by mistake and I dont think I ever got it back...On the other hand I never said anything about it till now =\

Hostility

Smash Ace
I wish I could go to this but I won't be back from Europe until june 9th =(. Have fun without me guys.

edit: Is anyone gonna do recording at all? I would love to see the brawl matches.

Zoap

Smash Master
ill bring my vcr as well. Zoap calls dibs on the finals/semi finals for all events :)

SUCK IT *****ES

WassupJB

Smash Lord
ill bring my vcr as well. Zoap calls dibs on the finals/semi finals for all events :)

SUCK IT *****ES
LOL hahahaha. dibs? what is this "dibs" you speak of?

I'm not going to make this one. Senior Ball! =D

I just finished studying for the last test I'll ever take in High School. Yay!
good sh.t zhu. you're gonna have hellllllllla fun, i don't know what your school is doing, but i guarantee it's gonna be helllla fun lol.

whiteboyninja

Smash Ace
lol frotaz and kballz say "just dont play melee, problem solved"

then me and yen dont show up. that solves even more problems (but creates the biggest one we could face =p) that thats the last of that argument that will be said here.

i will be meeting with the head of the computer science department today to officially make myself the host of these events, and i will talk to him about exactly what we can use (hallway, math club, ect)

it is looking to me that we will have a minimum of 3 more setups than last time, and possibly as many as 6 or 7 more setups (double) which would mean that we could just do everything the same as last time.

howeever, due to stuffs, im going to ask that we try just a WEE LITTLE BIT harder to make this be done by 10:00 this time. im OK being there to clean up until 11, but if im still there at 11 im gonna be a little grumpy. if people are willing to help me clean up like last time then 10:30 is OK because clean up happens faster. im sorta getting the impression from yen that she's willing to show up i nthe morning and get the room set up but that its my responsibility to put everything back the way it was.

sidefx

Smash Champion
howeever, due to stuffs, im going to ask that we try just a WEE LITTLE BIT harder to make this be done by 10:00 this time. im OK being there to clean up until 11, but if im still there at 11 im gonna be a little grumpy. if people are willing to help me clean up like last time then 10:30 is OK because clean up happens faster. im sorta getting the impression from yen that she's willing to show up i nthe morning and get the room set up but that its my responsibility to put everything back the way it was.
ok.. so there are an expected 70-80 people for brawl this time..

getting done on time means having events being ran simultaneously, which means brawl and melee will over lap. if not then we wont get this tournament done.

since there is no way we can screw with melee events.. and there is no way we can knock out teams or singles for brawl.. we have to run all of them. which means again.. we have to have them run at the same time.. and that is definitely not like last time.

honestly.. 10pm is probably a unrealistic time frame.

Miharu

Smash Hero
LOL hahahaha. dibs? what is this "dibs" you speak of?

good sh.t zhu. you're gonna have hellllllllla fun, i don't know what your school is doing, but i guarantee it's gonna be helllla fun lol.
rofl lies prom was such a waste of time last year :[

i is emo child

The King

Smash Ace
With any two reasonable and intelligent players playing on Norfair, you're going to see the match quickly degenerate into a huge campfest. It's not just some exaggeration; camping & ledgecamping that stage is incredibly effective. And for the times that lava comes in...ok, so the match briefly swings from camping cross-stage, to dodging excessive stage hazards, then reverts back to the former. Is it "broken"? No...because both players can most likely camp each other just as effectively. If you really want to see a ******** 7-minute stalemate, go ahead and leave it on. Most likely, if you don't have a problem with this stage, your opponents either spend all match having fun rushing you down (inefficient and risky), don't camp you, or most likely just don't camp you back.

Frigate should remain a counterpick. The audio queue might be tough to pick up on, but the visual queue is more than easily noticeable, not to mention that the camera starts zooming out before it happens, i believe. It also isn't random where you end up after the stage flip; it all depends on your position and your current path of movement. It's not an instantaneous flip, it takes a few seconds and gives fair warning before it occurs...don't put your character into a spot where you'll get stage-gimped. If your opponent manages to combo or zone you to an area where you're going to get stage-gimped...grats, he just outplayed you.

And as far as SMI is concerned, that stage above all else deserves (if not yet "warrants" via comprehensive tournament results) a trip to the stage ban list. The problem is not just DDD and his chaingrab here. Just as lucien listed a few pages back, the stage has half a dozen options for infinites/chaingrabs/locks, has 4 separate levels of platform to promote runaway & camping strategies, practically inaccessible left/right stage blast zones due to the immense wall interference, and a pretty **** high ceiling as the only real consistent way to earn a kill. If you want to see those 7 minute matches, where players spend the whole match just trying to avoid bull**** like that, then be my guest and leave it on.

BTW, for reasons I won't argue here now as I just spent the last hour putting forth my reasoning in the hub...I challenge anyone to name a character that can match Snake's outrageous advantages on this stage.

King Out

Naota21t

Smash Champion
w00t im going clubbing tonight in the bay, and kaba modern is gunna be there.

the "real" winners imo >_>

edit: ****KKKKK!!! I might not be able to go to NCB this saturday anymore. I hafto go to WA for some stupid *** ****ing reason.

ARGG. I won't know for sure til tonight, but right now its not looking good. ****ing hate when my plans get **** on by other people.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Regarding Frigate, if anything the audio cue is the more obvious of the two, and the problem is that it's nigh impossible to hear at tourney with 10 other TV's going. The video cue is a yellowish strobe on the stage backround (it doesn't hit the stage itself or the characters) 4 times, which doesn't contrast well, and is not very conspicuous in a tourney match. The camera doesn't do anything until a split second before the actual flip, so it doesn't matter. I would agree with the rest of your analysis about being in the wrong place at the wrong time were it not for the cues being lame.

Norfair, I agree with you, to the extent that evidence exists to support what you're talking about. I don't doubt that it is possible I'm just looking for more people to corroborate.

SMI is gone.

Bridge of Eldin I think should stay on. It's a pretty long stage, and you can play the stage positioning game to force DDD to grab you the length of the stage, during which time it's very possible to trip, mess up, or get interrupted by the guy with the bomb. Sure it might still be a free 40% or so, but that isn't that much more than we put up with on other stages. I think Falco laserlock is more of a deal. And LUIGI LOCK.

Green Hill Zone I think is fine.

Skyworld I have a feeling I'm just missing something, but I can't really find solid reasoning to ban it. It requires a change in play style for sure but nothing that strikes me as outright unreasonable.

Pirate Ship...any ideas?

Norfair and Bridge I believe should be on for 2v2 even if they are banned in 1v1.

Regarding MELEE:

Corneria and Peach's Castle are in the same boat. You can't ban one and have the other on, so which should it be? Personally I think they should both be off.

whiteboyninja

Smash Ace
i actually agree with pretty much everything king said.

norfair sucks so bad.

frigate is kinda fun. i play ike a lot, and i dont get owned by the stage flip. and ike gets owned by everything. with recoveries how they are, you should feel ashamed of yourself when you get owned by something.

prodigykid still seems to get the impression that i hate brawl. i just dont find it fun enough to warrent more than 2 or 3 hours of game time, and the responsibilities i face with these tourneys are significant. yen doesnt want to do them anymore, so after i get the rhythem of these things im going to be flying solo, which sucks hard. i will not want to do them frequently if at all.

so yeah, if i continue to have as much fun as i did last time then i'll keep doing them, but honestly, there are going to be too many people here. the NUB was the least fun biweekly i ever went to, i dont ever want to see that happen again.

if people use the arguement that the time limitations are unreasonable to fit their schedules, then my comeback is "then hosting this at all is unreasonable to fit MY schedule"

if these run too late, then no teams. i dont think my partner is even coming so i dont care so much

whiteboyninja

Smash Ace
shroomed, i have made it very VERY clear that if melee singles doesnt happen, then i will not be hosting these tourneys. being that david hardly plays games, yen doesnt even want to come, and mike...is mike, there isnt anyone else who has access to the venue so yeah.

people talk as if people are showing up for brawl. people are showing up for melee, too.
people will tell you that 85% of the people prefer brawl. this is false information.
people (mostly just prodigykid) talk as if i hate brawl. i just like melee more. a significant percentage of the smashers in the area share my views. both games are actually pretty popular right now, its pretty supprising. i really was expecting the community to show a significant favor to one side or the other, but no that hasnt happened.

sidefx

Smash Champion
hey nick, why would you bring up the dumb argument about that **** again.. come on use your head. half the **** you just said is completely your own opinion.

is socal coming up for melee? no. is fta? no. is sac? no. is TOA? no. is DBR? no. TLA? no. i can go on and on

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
TENTATIVE rule set:

STAGE SELECTION & COUNTERPICK RULE (all tourneys): ODD STAGE IN
- This should be done AFTER both players select their characters.
- There are 5 "starter" stages.
- Each person knocks out 2 from that list. These have no effect on the counterpicks.
- The one stage leftover is the first stage played.
- Advanced slob picks from then on, except stage bans happen AFTER the first game. So the procedure is: Winner bans stage, Loser announces stage, Winner selects character, Loser selects character, GO. Any stage, counter or starter, may be banned.

BRAWL RULES:

- 3 stock, 6 minutes, items off (turn them all off MANUALLY, EXCEPT FOOD), team attack on.
- Each match is a best 2 of 3 set, bracket finals 3 of 5. Set continuation is in effect.
- Double elimination bracket.
- You may not counter pick a stage you already won on. You MAY counterpick a stage you lost on only ONCE if it is a "counter stage," but unlimited times for a "starter stage."
- No "infinites" are banned.
- Any claim of "stalling" or other foul play should be reported to a TO after the match has finished, who will have final say in the matter.
- Any claim made after the NEXT match has started is invalid.
- SUICIDE KO’S AND SUDDEN DEATH: If sudden death happens as a result of a suicide KO, the winner shall be the player whose move causes the suicide KO. If time runs out, winner is decided by stock, and then %.

STARTER STAGES:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Yoshi's Island

COUNTERPICK STAGES (subject to change):
Delfino Plaza
Castle Siege
Norfair
Rainbow Cruise
Halberd
Brinstar
Pokemon Stadium 1
Pirate Ship
Bridge of Eldin
Skyworld
Green Hill Zone
Corneria, Jungle Japes for TEAMS ONLY

MELEE RULES:

- 4 stock, 8 minutes, items off, team attack on.
- Each match is a best 2 of 3 set, bracket finals 3 of 5. Set continuation is in effect.
- Double elimination bracket.
- You may not counter pick a stage you already won on. You MAY counterpick a stage you lost on only ONCE if it is a "counter stage," but unlimited times for a "starter stage."
- Wobbling is NOT banned.
- Any claim of "stalling" or other foul play should be reported to a TO after the match has finished, who will have final say in the matter.
- Any claim made after the NEXT match has started is invalid.
- SUICIDE KO’S AND SUDDEN DEATH: If sudden death happens as a result of a suicide KO, the winner shall be the player whose move causes the suicide KO. If time runs out, winner is decided by stock, and then %.

STARTER STAGES:
Final Destination
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium
Dreamland 64
Fountain of Dreams (Singles only, BANNED in teams)
Yoshi's Story (Teams only, COUNTERPICK for singles)

COUNTERPICK STAGES:
Yoshi's Story (Singles, starter for teams)
Rainbow Cruise
Poke Floats
Mute City - BANNED IN TEAMS
Brinstar
Kongo Jungle 64
Corneria
Peach's Castle
Jungle Japes (Teams only, BANNED in singles)

whiteboyninja

Smash Ace
do people care what boback has to say? no
do people find his posts amusing? no
do i want to hear any more of your crap? no
did you almost piss me off so much last time that i almost didnt host it? yes. so shut up before we repeat.

i will not escilate this further.

FALCOMIST

Smash Ace
u know guys...

This is still Nick tourney... U guys are lucky that he even put brawl in these events because these tourney are technically supposedly melee only, till u guys keep asking him to run brawl as well.

It still his tourney and I really hate ppl just nagging on Nick saying people are coming for brawl. Both games are being run but NICK wants it made for Melee preferably > Brawl and he has the right to because its his tournament.

sidefx

Smash Champion
wow havent we gone over this already? if he really wanted to, he would have a long time ago.. but apparently he likes brawl as well.. and he doesnt want **** from people.. which wouldnt even matter since.. wait its his tournament right?

and justin, dont try and generalize your statement, just go ahead and say it was directed at me and untuck your ****

FALCOMIST

Smash Ace
wow havent we gone over this already? if he really wanted to, he would have a long time ago.. but apparently he likes brawl as well.. and he doesnt want **** from people.. which wouldnt even matter since.. wait its his tournament right?

and justin, dont try and generalize your statement, just go ahead and say it was directed at me and untuck your ****
lol obviously it isnt just u man.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Goddam guys WHO THE FU
CK CARES.

OH NO THE HOST SAID SOMETHING ABOUT A GAME BEING BETTER THAN ANOTHER. CAN'T LET THAT HAPPEN.

Seriously. He's doing you a favor by hosting. The FU
CK are you going to accomplish by giving him s
hit about his opinions.

Top Bottom