• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Norcal/Bay Area/DBR:NorCal Nevers: Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

tc1

Smash Lord
FTA will be there...

You all should consider doing crews since i know atleast 5 crews will most likely be there

TOA
FTA
TLA
TeamScape
and most likely DBR as well
just a thought..

sidefx

Smash Champion
that is the great tc1 speaking show him some respect.. we will cancel all events for his satisfaction.. come on guys.. get your head out of your *****

Naota21t

Smash Champion
Depends if it's brawl or melee. If it's melee, Baysians are just going to ****, it won't be fair.

Brawl it'll be a bit closer, though I think DBR would probably win.

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
Iono about anyone else but I'm not stressing haha, but yeah guys, no crews if somehow we miraculously had time at the end we could, but do not expect anything, at all =P

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Any suggestions regarding rule changes from last time? I think the 'odd stage in' rule is getting to be well accepted. The main motivation for it is that I think both players should get to play a stage that they both feel comfortable on as the first stage. What I mainly want to know is, is it worth having Lylat and Yoshi's on the initial stage list (making the first stage between FD, BF, and Smashville) since they seem to get banned almost always?

sidefx

Smash Champion
baysians dont exist as of last year.

tang and jeff are in dbr, falcomist left like in the middle of last year, and the rest are just left to i dunno

sidefx

Smash Champion
btw, sheridan those dumb stages better not be on this time.. dumb as in

shadow ****ing moses, bridge, and some other dumb ones i forgot about.

ZodiakLucien

Smash Ace
I think the stage list should be the list going to be used at the roundtable tournament which is:

Singles Random stages:
Final Destination
Battlefield
Yoshi Island
Lylat Cruise
Smashville

Singles Legal counter pick stages:
All neutrals
Halberd
Delphiki Plaza
Castle Siege
Frigate
Norfair
Pokemon Stadium 1
Rainbow cruise
Brinstar

I think 3 neutrals is too few and theres no point banning 2 neutrals just because people tend to ban them. Look at yoshis story and dreamland in melee. Also greens greens, corneria, and jungle japes are all dumb and way worse than they were in melee.

Miztik

Smash Master
hey what about time do you have to be registered by a certain time again????

just thought i would bring that up again incase people didnt know about it...

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
Any suggestions regarding rule changes from last time? I think the 'odd stage in' rule is getting to be well accepted.
I guess no one has asked you "hey ____ can I just do the one ban rule instead" most of the ppl get annoyed by the process of the knockouts, myself included. Don't get me wrong I'm not hating on it or anything, I'm just saying I hear and see a lot of people do it with just one ban each.

Oh and like Sheridan said earlier, your name has to be on the paper or in one of the TO's heads by 12:00 or you're not playing, there should be no reason that people should be able to come late this time...last time the only reason we let them in was because nick had spread the word that it was 12:30, but it's 12:00.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
If your name is not on a the sign up sheet, on the tio computer, or in a TO's head by 12 NOON, you're not entering the tourney. If you're going to be late past noon, you can call someone at the tourney and have them give your name to a TO. Nick, can you post that conspicuously in the first post?

Lucien,

First stage isn't random, it's whichever of the 5 is leftover after 2 are struck by each player. I was only suggesting it be made 3 to have a less convoluted process.

Concerning the counterpick stages, that looks pretty good, however I thought I should bring up the following points and ask you guys what you think:

-Frigate: OK, the stage flip thing isn't really too much to deal with...IF you know it's coming. The audio cue is a lot more telling than the visual cue, and as we all know it's almost impossible to hear crap clearly in that tourney room with 10 other matches going. I think it's obvious that if there were NO cue whatsoever we'd have banned the stage. The question is, is the reduced ability to detect the cue enough to warrant a ban?

-Norfair: Some people in the SBR have shown that the edges in the stages can be heavily camp-abused. Of course you can't do it forever because of the lava, but in many matchups, there is little to no hope for an approach if someone decides they don't want to come out, and instead camp the ledged. I suggest you guys all try it out yourselves and see what you think about it. If we're going to ban SMI because some matchups are practically unwinnable there, we'd have to ban Norfair if it gets to the same level. Basically same sort of problem as Hanenbow but not as bad.

As for SMI, etc., it's by no means a free win because the person counterpicked AGAINST always has the opportunity to pick a character that doesn't "auto-lose." As far as I know, the following characters cannot be wall-infinited or CG'd across the stage:

Fox
Jigglypuff
Pikachu
Olimar
Zelda
Mr. Game & Watch
Sheik
Kirby
Squirtle
Meta Knight
Falco
Luigi
ZSS

That's 1/3 of the cast. I'm not saying I like SMI or Bridge, but is 13 characters really too few to choose from that we need to ban stages? Remember this is only against ONE CHARACTER in the game. Anyone who wants to play Ness or Lucas is in the same situation in EVERY stage against Marth. And Luigi, Mario, DK, Samus, and Bowser are in the same situation against DDD in EVERY stage (infinite regrab). What do you guys think?

Also what do you think about this Sudden Death Rule (% tiebreak would still apply, but this is for the case of Kirby/DDD/Ganon/Bowser/whoever-cide where the game literally takes both stock at the same time): If it's on the first stage, both players are credited with a win. The next match is played on one of the starter stages. If it's on a counterpicked stage, the person who counterpicked the stage loses. The reasoning behind this is that Sudden Death is a meaningless test of camping where the best strategy is to just go to the nearest ledge and camp because you can't lose unless you mess up. You might as why not just play a 1 stock rematch, but X-cides can just be abused repeatedly to delay the outcome, and this takes too much time. With this rule, you always get a winner immediately.

ZodiakLucien

Smash Ace
its not just dedede, dk can carge dthrow chaingrab for awhile, ike can fthrow chaingrab for awhile, falcon can fthrow chaingrab awhile, plus falco locks, luigi locks, and jab locks. I am sure there are more that can chain grab but thats all I remember right now. Also you even admitted you dont like the stage, and you are the only one trying to enforce it. Also i have never had any trouble with camping on norfair, people can ledge camp on any stage. I have seen robs do it again and again.

Zoap

Smash Master
where the **** is pirate ship *****es. Rob can also dtilt a while against walls lol. BIG LOL at dbr losing crews in melee. Zhu Lunin Falcomist and Azn Danny vs King SS Tang and Alex?!? GOOD ****ING GAME LEFTOVER BAYSIANS. <3

Sheridans rules are dumb we're gonna do it my way this time. and that is pirate ship is the only stage on and cf and squirtle are the only two allowed chars.

On a more serious note that SD rule is confusing and most people would prob ignore it much like they do stage striking. As to the possible banning of norfair and frigate thats cool i guess. SMI and BE are still dumb, but than again I kinda play DDD so i guess i dont give a rat ***

Meatfest lol

X-Counter

Smash Apprentice
its not just dedede, dk can carge dthrow chaingrab for awhile, ike can fthrow chaingrab for awhile, falcon can fthrow chaingrab awhile, plus falco locks, luigi locks, and jab locks. I am sure there are more that can chain grab but thats all I remember right now. Also you even admitted you dont like the stage, and you are the only one trying to enforce it. Also i have never had any trouble with camping on norfair, people can ledge camp on any stage. I have seen robs do it again and again.
Are you going to Roundtable, Lucien?

pockyD

Smash Legend
On a more serious note that SD rule is confusing and most people would prob ignore it much like they do stage striking.
there's nothing TO ignore. Unlike the stage strikeout rule, which comes into play every single set, the suicide rule will almost never come into play, so there's no need for anyone to worry about it. When it eventually does though (and it will), it's good to have a pre-existing rule in place instead of asking the T.O. to make a judgment call on the spot and basically decide the winner

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
I'm not trying to 'enforce' SMI and Bridge being on, only that we need to establish why (or if) it should be off, because "it's ghey" is not a reason for anything, and we have to be consistent in our logic with other stages. Also you may be right, Lucien, about those certain wall things but that would still only apply to SMI and not Bridge, though it WOULD apply to other stages with walls (to a lesser degree) like Corneria (which I'm all too happy to ban as I see you are).

As for Norfair, yes we all know you can ledge camp on basically any stage (they should have had Mute City in Brawl), but most of those stages only have one ledge to camp on. With Norfair you have 3 on each side; someone who is determined to camp ledges could have far too many options for anyone to reasonably be expected to deal with. Like I said though you guys should all test this out for yourselves.

Any opinion on Frigate? Or Pirate Ship (I'm ambivalent, I think it could be OK to have on or off)?

The new sudden death rule is, after a fuc
king 2 hour discussion on the hub: If a suicide KO results in sudden death, the character that initiated the move to KO suicide is credited with a win. If the game says that one character or the other wins for whatever reason, then we go with that.

And stage striking (shut up Pocky) is too good I don't know why people ignore it, it takes like 5 sec longer and you won't ever get screwed by having to play on your 2nd worst stage.

sidefx

Smash Champion
i think the main reason is that people dont know about it/care about it/dont know what to do/just want to play/dont want to "waste" time..

i like it though.. and i think frigate should still be on.. its a legit counter pick.. and for pirate ship.. i dunno.. it seems like a very campy stage, i dont like it very much..

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
i think the main reason is that people dont know about it/care about it/dont know what to do/just want to play/dont want to "waste" time..
This is why.

There have been reasons as to why Bridge shouldn't be on, just because there is not one blatant reason for it to be off doesn't mean it should be allowed >_<

pockyD

Smash Legend
i don't bother with stage strikeout in brawl because i don't really care, but i definitely like it in melee

at this point, after playing the game for a few years, your stage bans should pretty much be automatic

edit: fking zoap i told you both my NEUTRAL bans before you even picked your char in our match, that wasted absolutely zero time

Top Bottom