• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NJ Finder - Tournament Finder Updated (10/8) See new thread for Brawl Rankings

Eazy23

Smash Lord
Wow Inui, although I said I wouldn't respond it's really hard not to when you post more bs.

I sent you, Pierce, Eazy, and Ksizzle more than 5 pms changing the rankings before this last one and you agreed without saying a word. You must have forgotten????

You're also wrong about stating $5.00 in the beggining. Chen would make fun saying "Keitaro let me 1 penny mm you for rankings" because of the fact mms were going to count with no specific money so I complained for days till we decided on a money amount. I swear one of the rankings went by with ******** $1.00 mms counting.

Also your self proclaimed stuff doesn't mean ****. If you feel better sleeping at night telling yourself this stuff, then go ahead. But your hypocracy and ignorance is almost always visible to many.

Based from reading your posts, your memory sucks.

If you continue to suck at remember things, I will pull a Spam and bring of quotes from months ago.

I might even get Spam to do it for me :D

Edit: ****, I shoulda listened when Spam told me to save quotes of Inui talking bs so that you can use it in the future. I fail for this.
I'm not going to involve myself in you and Inui having a problem with eachother, but it's kinda important that you see where I'm coming from. You don't think that me beating pride in low tiers with mario should count for anything? Granted, pride is very out of practice and its not saying very much now. But if this were to have happened in prides prime, you would disgard it as meaningless?

ANTi_

Smash Hero
Maybe she let the phone ringout.

DUHHHHH

THATS WHAT U DO WHEN U DUN WANT TO TALK TO DOUBLES GODS

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
I love how people generalize these situations as standards. We in jersey have some of the best low tier mains in the country. These players take out other ranked players with these low tier characters on the regular basis. I can not see how anyone fails to see beating them in a low tier tournament as an accomplishment.

Kai has already agreed that in certain situations it is fair and understandable to count a set that occured in low tiers. All of you who are literally disagreeing because Inui is leading the arguement please go away, you are very annoying. Any intelligent, competent individual who would like to explain to me how certain low tier accomplishments should not be counted please do so.

pride mains yoshi and has done very well, thus beating his yoshi in any circumstance is an accomplishment that would aid in someone being ranked. This is the same with Vex, blue, KAI, malcom and tbh even other players.

If the panel is discussing tourny accomplishments for anyone, and beating one of these players mains is one of them, why would it NOT be counted due to the PLAYER being limited in character selection vs the others tournament seasoned MAIN???????

I am sure vex will be destroying people with bowser in the months to come. You are telling me if Zucco beats him in low tiers with ness, its meaningless?

Keitaro, I know you hate change. But there is no way you don't see how this makes sense? I'm not trying to keep bringing this up but what makes my win vs pride in low tiers any different than a win in normal singles? It was a best of 3 with the same stage list. How would that not be seen as a tourny accomplishment? What if pride beat me in regular singles but I beat him in low tiers? That doesn't even things out??
Well here's my main objection.

1. The person playing low tiers did not know the set would count for rankings, which definitely changes their mindset of the set and how much they care for it.

I have also come up with 2 metaphors that look silly but can show why I have problems with this decision:

Keitaro: Yo, lemme get that pizza pie
Eazy: Nah bro, I want it.
Keitaro: Best of 3, whoever wins gets the pie
Eazy: lets go son!!

'Eazy wins'

Keitaro: Good **** Eazy, here's the pie.
Eazy: How much did this pie cost again?
Keitaro: $8.75, why'd you ask?
Eazy: Hmmmm.....well logically speaking, if the pie costs $8.75, and rankings mms are $5.00....
Keitaro: WTF!?!??!?!

That's an example of my main problem that I have always been against since the beggining of time. Change that results in penalties although the penalties weren't there or shown beforehand.

So even if I did agree to this new rule, I don't think its right to have it applied to matches that happened before the rule was set because the player did not know of it.

Here's another metaphor:

Keitaro: According to the rules, I am allowed to eat this pizza right
Cop: Yes, you are allowed
Keitaro: *Eats pizza* Yum!!
Cop: Cool

*2 days later*

Keitaro: Yo what's up Cop?
Cop: MOUTH ON THE CURB!!
Keitaro: HUH!?!? IS THERE A PROBLEM OFFICER?!?!?
Cop: NEW LAW STARTED TODAY, YOU EAT PIZZA, YOU ****ING GET THE LIFE SENTENCE!!!!
Keitaro: WTF!?!?!??!?!

It's not because I think the rule you guys have is dumb, I understand your point Eazy, but adding it after a set and making that set count just doesn't make sense to me.

Keitaro

What horrible arguments.

Learn how to debate.
The metaphors weren't meant to be an arguement smart guy, learn to read.

It's honestly meant for people to understand why I'm argueing since all I hear is "Keitaro don't like change" and "why don't you agree Keitaro"

I feel like my objection isn't getting addressed.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Your objections are often based on ridiculous crap.

The panel exists to discuss those things and come to the proper decisions.

Stop worrying about it.

Keitaro

Your objections are often based on ridiculous crap.

The panel exists to discuss those things and come to the proper decisions.

Stop worrying about it.
Its weird how you just post and say stuff.

You don't actually talk about the discussion. It's like you give up and just try talk down to the person instead of actually debating.

lol I find this funny.

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
I havent actually read the last 7 pages. but ill be up all night and will read them later i guess. name searching is fun. keep mentioning me! :)

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
thats what i feel is the strongest arguement as well (even though im against anything in low tiers counting), is that both players werent fully aware of it counting for rankings, and it wasnt written in any rules that w.e circumstances in low tiers would count. you cant create rules mid season. in the case of a dispute mid season u have to have the benefit of the doubt and go with the more assumed/regular situation - just singles counting.

comparing this to when inui fought kai and "didnt care." whether you did or not, it was a singles tourney, something all players are aware that will count for rankings. inui played the set regardless. now if he really didnt care, and perhaps he flat out forfeit against him, then thats another thing, as you can argue that the set never happened.

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
Regarding the $5 MM problem...

Obviously, some people need to have collateral on a match in order to take it seriously and try their hardest to win. For some people, it's an amount $5 or greater. For some, it's rankings/pride. Some people might even play extremely seriously for a mere dollar. I think that, given the financial situation of some Smashers, $5 is potentially too much for some to want to risk on a match for the sake of rankings. What do you guys think about, if both players agree that the set will count towards rankings, a set for any amount of money (maybe not 0, but like $1 and stuff) becomes valid?

I understand the criticisms against this idea, but if both players agree that it should count, then it's the same as being bound by cash, no?

Edit: ksizzle

Eazy23

Smash Lord
Well here's my main objection.

1. The person playing low tiers did not know the set would count for rankings, which definitely changes their mindset of the set and how much they care for it.

I have also come up with 2 metaphors that look silly but can show why I have problems with this decision:

Keitaro: Yo, lemme get that pizza pie
Eazy: Nah bro, I want it.
Keitaro: Best of 3, whoever wins gets the pie
Eazy: lets go son!!

'Eazy wins'

Keitaro: Good **** Eazy, here's the pie.
Eazy: How much did this pie cost again?
Keitaro: $8.75, why'd you ask?
Eazy: Hmmmm.....well logically speaking, if the pie costs $8.75, and rankings mms are $5.00....
Keitaro: WTF!?!??!?!

That's an example of my main problem that I have always been against since the beggining of time. Change that results in penalties although the penalties weren't there or shown beforehand.

So even if I did agree to this new rule, I don't think its right to have it applied to matches that happened before the rule was set because the player did not know of it.

Here's another metaphor:

Keitaro: According to the rules, I am allowed to eat this pizza right
Cop: Yes, you are allowed
Keitaro: *Eats pizza* Yum!!
Cop: Cool

*2 days later*

Keitaro: Yo what's up Cop?
Cop: MOUTH ON THE CURB!!
Keitaro: HUH!?!? IS THERE A PROBLEM OFFICER?!?!?
Cop: NEW LAW STARTED TODAY, YOU EAT PIZZA, YOU ****ING GET THE LIFE SENTENCE!!!!
Keitaro: WTF!?!?!??!?!

It's not because I think the rule you guys have is dumb, I understand your point Eazy, but adding it after a set and making that set count just doesn't make sense to me.
I see where you're going but I don't think you realize what your implying. Your first example implies that a players mentality must be taken into consideration as far as deciding whether to count a win where their main was used.

So please, tell me what a player like pride, vex, blue etc would be thinking in a low tier set that would compromise their ability to perform?

I'm sure they are thinking the following:
hahaha I'm fighting Eazy...****!! Who is next in the bracket?
I WANT MONEY!! FINALLY I CAN WIN MONEY!!!!
I better not lose 2 this mario with my MAIN!!

I can't imagine why any of these players would have an attitude that would negatively alter their ability to perform. I also can't understand why it matters. People feel like crap, play like crap with their mains all of the times. They get an excuse because its low tiers?

Inui

Banned via Warnings
I see where you're going but I don't think you realize what your implying. Your first example implies that a players mentality must be taken into consideration as far as deciding whether to count a win where their main was used.

So please, tell me what a player like pride, vex, blue etc would be thinking in a low tier set that would compromise their ability to perform?

I can't imagine why any of these players would have an attitude that would negatively alter their ability to perform. I also can't understand why it matters. People feel like crap, play like crap with their mains all of the times. They get an excuse because its low tiers?
qft

again

because he's totally right, just like me

again

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Ignoring everything else, right now there is one main issue that the panel needs to deal with before any other problem is addressed.

Standardize and publish the criteria for what makes a match ranked.

Before this is done, we're all arguing opinions. Once we have a standard, going forward, there will be no issues.

Max, I happen to like that idea.

Keitaro

I like talking with you nowadays cause I understand where you're coming from alot more than the past :D

So what you're saying is that fighting for the pizza pie is equivelant in a person's mind to fighting for the $5.00 and rankings spot. This could be possible, and it does make sense since I'd probably fight just as hard in tourney as I would for a box of pizza, but it still doesn't seem right.

Changing rules after the set and using the rules for the set is where I have the problem. Although the player's ability to perform may have been the same, I can't seem to agree on allowing a set to count for rankings that wasn't thought to be counted normally by both players.

That's just my opinion, so I still go against past sets to count, but I still don't like the idea of low tier sets counting if 1 person is using their main and loses.

Eazy23

Smash Lord
thats what i feel is the strongest arguement as well (even though im against anything in low tiers counting), is that both players werent fully aware of it counting for rankings, and it wasnt written in any rules that w.e circumstances in low tiers would count. you cant create rules mid season. in the case of a dispute mid season u have to have the benefit of the doubt and go with the more assumed/regular situation - just singles counting.

comparing this to when inui fought kai and "didnt care." whether you did or not, it was a singles tourney, something all players are aware that will count for rankings. inui played the set regardless. now if he really didnt care, and perhaps he flat out forfeit against him, then thats another thing, as you can argue that the set never happened.
1. Does having knowledge that a match will count for rankings change how hard each player is playing? In particular, the attitude of the player who MAINS a low tier character?

2. Since when does the attitude of a competitor change whether a win against them is legit?

3. You do realize that the loser does not face penalty. The winner is simply praised for their accomplishments. With this understood, and depending on your answer to #1, why is it neccessary to punish the winner when the loser faces no penalty?

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Ignoring everything else, right now there is one main issue that the panel needs to deal with before any other problem is addressed.

Standardize and publish the criteria for what makes a match ranked.

Before this is done, we're all arguing opinions. Once we have a standard, going forward, there will be no issues.

Max, I happen to like that idea.
Rankings Rules

1. Only tournaments within the season will be used to determine your rank.

2. Only tournaments with an entry fee of $5 or more will count.

3. Tournaments must have acceptable rules to count. This means they must, at least, abide by the recommended SBR ruleset. Anything extreme or strange, like allowing items, will not count.

4. You must enter at least three tournaments during the season.

5. You must enter at least two tournaments within the state.

6. All money matches that are for $5 or more will count towards the rankings. The minimum is $5 in order to promote true competition and make sure people don't mess around.

7. Any serious sets involving mains that is worth $5 or more will be considered by the panelists.

Current Panelists

Inui
Keitaro
Eazy
ksizzle
Pierce

Is that enough information for you? Is there anything to be confused about?

Keitaro

1. Does having knowledge that a match will count for rankings change how hard each player is playing? In particular, the attitude of the player who MAINS a low tier character?

2. Since when does the attitude of a competitor change whether a win against them is legit?

3. You do realize that the loser does not face penalty. The winner is simply praised for their accomplishments. With this understood, and depending on your answer to #1, why is it neccessary to punish the winner when the loser faces no penalty?
I think it is possible for the player to have a change in attitude whether the match counts for rankings but even if they do, it probably not much different from a singles match because money (in low tiers) is involved and pride also.

Players say "I was sandbagging in them friendlies!!! PLay me in tourney!!!" all the time. People take those johns or truths as legit most of the time. Although he may have been playing his hardest, it's easy for him to john and say garbage because it was a friendly and not a tourney match.

The loser in fact does face penalty. tourney results are made by wins and loses. If he loses and it counts for rankings, that a loss against him for rankings am I correct? If not please inform me.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed

1. No it does not, a player should always play their best in any tournament, unless it's a friendly tournament with no entry fee (like a FFA or something).

However... The reason I say that everyone should be aware of ranking procedure before the tournament is so there is no discussion or argument like the one now referring back to a tourney match that already happened, which bias can clearly play a role in (not saying it is, but you can never rule out the possibility, especially when one of the people in the match at question is the "leader" of the panel). If rules are neatly laid out and fully understood by everyone before hand, there should never be any need for a debate after a set to determine how much weight it should hold, or if it counts in the first place.

2. Your statement confuses me, please elaborate.

3. The loser of a set faces no punishment in rankings!? What!? I mean sure, if Kai we're to lose to M2k, big deal. Of course he is (no offense), that's not really going to matter. But let's say Kai does pretty good against people around his level, and has some accomplishments here and there, but gets ***** by scrubs at multiple tourneys and MMs. That doesn't hurt him at all? I find it hard to believe you base a PR solely on top achievements than consistency.

Eazy23

Smash Lord
I like talking with you nowadays cause I understand where you're coming from alot more than the past :D

So what you're saying is that fighting for the pizza pie is equivelant in a person's mind to fighting for the $5.00 and rankings spot. This could be possible, and it does make sense since I'd probably fight just as hard in tourney as I would for a box of pizza, but it still doesn't seem right.

Changing rules after the set and using the rules for the set is where I have the problem. Although the player's ability to perform may have been the same, I can't seem to agree on allowing a set to count for rankings that wasn't thought to be counted normally by both players.

That's just my opinion, so I still go against past sets to count, but I still don't like the idea of low tier sets counting if 1 person is using their main and loses.
Yea, I'm not as much of a **** as I used to be about things.

But I do feel that you're current disagreement with any of this new stuff is just your personality rather than you seeing flaw in the logic. I will however, continue to try to convince you.

It might be a surprise to some people that their loss in low tiers is being counted for the rankings, and I'm sure this sounds bad to some people. But lets break this down.

Can we agree that regardless of whether or not a player like vex, pryde, rhyme, Cam, blue, Rule34, malcom were aware of a set counting for rankings, they would indeed be playing their best because they want to win money?

Can we agree that these players more than likely would be using their respective low tier characters in normal singles?

If so, can we agree that beating most of these players is an accomlishment?

If all of these premises are accepted, with the additional premise that the loss does not hurt their reputation any more than the fact that they lost already does, can we agree that a player should be rewarded for said accomplishment?

There are many instances in which mid season changes can cause problems. I however, do not see the problem in this. Who is being hurt?

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Rankings Rules

1. Only tournaments within the season will be used to determine your rank.

2. Only tournaments with an entry fee of $5 or more will count.

3. Tournaments must have acceptable rules to count. This means they must, at least, abide by the recommended SBR ruleset. Anything extreme or strange, like allowing items, will not count.

4. You must enter at least three tournaments during the season.

5. You must enter at least two tournaments within the state.

6. All money matches that are for $5 or more will count towards the rankings. The minimum is $5 in order to promote true competition and make sure people don't mess around.

7. Any serious sets involving mains that is worth $5 or more will be considered by the panelists.

Current Panelists

Inui
Keitaro
Eazy
ksizzle
Pierce
Darn that's a nice post that should be added to the OP...

Top Bottom