• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo DSi

Pikminmaniac

Smash Cadet
I've been waiting for this. I didn't get a lite and kept my DS fat for so long. I am definately getting this!!!

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Alright, so out of three pages of ranting and raving, I get to say a few things...

@FirustheHedgehog: BUY SOME FREAKING DS GAMES! The system has basically the strongest library of any portable system ever. I'm not saying this to get you to favor the DSi or anything...but seriously, 9 games? That's it?

You're really missing out.

derek.haines said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222049

I'm not sure how up-to-date that list is, but it's a pretty exhaustive one of the majority of the good DS software, and there's something for everyone in there.
Firus really needs to check out that link. :chuckle:

But yeah, I've been handing out that link for a while, and it is getting on in years. Still a good resource, though.

Darkslash

Smash Master
even though it has an integrated camera, I think i'll rather buy a PSP instead solely for the purpose of having better titles than it, besides who cares if it has mp3 funcionality, PsP can do that.
Ever play a Shooter on a PSP? With out Dual Analog Sticks its a pain in the ***. The DS solves this problem with its touch screen. Only problem with the DS Lite was that the screens were too small.

Alright, so out of three pages of ranting and raving, I get to say a few things...

@FirustheHedgehog: BUY SOME FREAKING DS GAMES! The system has basically the strongest library of any portable system ever. I'm not saying this to get you to favor the DSi or anything...but seriously, 9 games? That's it?

Originally Posted by derek.haines
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222049

I'm not sure how up-to-date that list is, but it's a pretty exhaustive one of the majority of the good DS software, and there's something for everyone in there.

But yeah, I've been handing out that link for a while, and it is getting on in years. Still a good resource, though.
What he said but i think Firus already seen it. But 9 DS games? Go get a flash cart if possible.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
OmegaKoopa said:
even though it has an integrated camera, I think i'll rather buy a PSP instead solely for the purpose of having better titles than it, besides who cares if it has mp3 funcionality, PsP can do that.
If you think the DS doesn't have better games--or at lease a broader selection of games--than the PSP...then you sir, are wrong.

I do think the PSP is the better music player though, what with the whole AAC debacle. But like it's been said (about a billion times in this thread) already, it's a largely unnecessary feature as far as portable gaming goes.

...If either system allowed you to listen to music while playing a game, then that's be different. But obviously this isn't the case.

Darkslash

Smash Master
...If either system allowed you to listen to music while playing a game, then that's be different. But obviously this isn't the case.
Actually there were reports of Some games using that Music player during in game. PLUS the DSi is also a portable mixing machine. Don't like Vocals you can get rid of them. Don't like the Instruments GET RID OF EM! So its kinda better than the PSP one..only if it was MP3..But Nintendo will probably give us a converter software with the DSi maybe.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Actually there were reports of Some games using that Music player during in game. PLUS the DSi is also a portable mixing machine. Don't like Vocals you can get rid of them. Don't like the Instruments GET RID OF EM! So its kinda better than the PSP one..only if it was MP3..But Nintendo will probably give us a converter software with the DSi maybe.
I'm sure a game or two will incorporate the feature (Square could port Sigma Harmonics--the tRPG that generates units based on music tracks--to the DSi, for example), but I mean like, if I wanted to listen to the songs on my SD card while playing New Super Mario Bros., or some other game that was released pre-DSi.

The mixing thing does sound cool ("Nintendo makes listening to music fun!"), but that AAC thing really kills it. And Ninty isn't going to make converters for it, as that defeats the purpose of the AAC format.

So basically, if I wanted to get my music on the thing, I'll have to either actually buy the songs in AAC format, or I'll have to track down an obscure, adware-filled converter on CNET, then waste ten hours converting 2GB of music.

No thanks, Nintendo.

...really, if the SD card isn't as useful as I hope it'll be, or unless some DSi-specific, must-have game comes out (Silver & Gold were GBC-only, after all...), I think I'll just stick with my Phat. :ohwell:

Roymyboy284

Smash Journeyman
One question: Pictochat. I like the idea of chatting with another friend with a DS, but it kind of sucks, so I'm hoping the DSi Pictochat will have:

-farther connection range.
-color ink.
-file sending with internet browser.
-voice chat with mic.
-games, like on MSN.

The list goes on, but those are my most wanted. One thing though, is that if the DSi has all of this, will it's Pictochat be compatable with a DS or DS lite Pictochat? It gives you something to think about. :confused:

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
Well if I can put ROM's in SD Cards I can be playing GSC in this, and GBA games, but can't the DS have SD Cards aswell? I also think i'll stick with the Lite for the time being. and with my Cell Phone having 5 megapixel camera(N95) I don't need it =/

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Well if I can put ROM's in SD Cards I can be playing GSC in this, and GBA games, but can't the DS have SD Cards aswell? I also think i'll stick with the Lite for the time being.
No, the regular DS doesn't support normal SD cards. You can, however, buy "Flash Carts", which are essentially differnetly-shaped SD cards that will run on a regular DS.

The cool thing about the DSi is that normal SD cards are much cheaper, and can hold much more space than any known flash cart, and the process of going about moving files from the SD card to the DS is much simpler.

@Roymyboy284: What, drawing ***** with your friends ain't good enough for you? :ohwell:

Seriously though. The only thing I can maybe see changing in PictoChat is that if you exit it, you won't have to shut off your DSi, since it would be a pain if that was the case with all these other Apps it has in it. Also it might have some more range...but I doubt we'll be seeing anything beyond technical upgrades like that.

And there are already a bunch of "games" you can play in PictoChat as is. If you've ever played "finish the picture" with a group of your friends, you'd know how ridiculously fun it can be...even if it always ends with someone adding a **** to it.

Roymyboy284

Smash Journeyman
No, the regular DS doesn't support normal SD cards. You can, however, buy "Flash Carts", which are essentially differnetly-shaped SD cards that will run on a regular DS.

The cool thing about the DSi is that normal SD cards are much cheaper, and can hold much more space than any known flash cart, and the process of going about moving files from the SD card to the DS is much simpler.

@Roymyboy284: What, drawing ***** with your friends ain't good enough for you? :ohwell:

Seriously though. The only thing I can maybe see changing in PictoChat is that if you exit it, you won't have to shut off your DSi, since it would be a pain if that was the case with all these other Apps it has in it. Also it might have some more range...but I doubt we'll be seeing anything beyond technical upgrades like that.

And there are already a bunch of "games" you can play in PictoChat as is. If you've ever played "finish the picture" with a group of your friends, you'd know how ridiculously fun it can be...even if it always ends with someone adding a **** to it.
I guy can dream, can't he?

Famous

Smash Champion
The DSi is going to be great...I'm sure there will be homebrew made for it in the futute due to the SD Card capabilities...I smell exploits and free games

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
"Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime told G4techTV on Oct 2, 2008 that the DSi will not be available in North America until after April 2009"

Is that true or not, I would look but I'm in a hurry and can't double check. D:

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
"Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime told G4techTV on Oct 2, 2008 that the DSi will not be available in North America until after April 2009"

Is that true or not, I would look but I'm in a hurry and can't double check. D:
It's probably true.

The DSi comes out in Europe in "Spring 2009", and April falls squarely into that seasonal range, so yeah, I'd say it's accurate. :ohwell:

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974

Bah, I've been keeping an eye on DS games, and I really haven't seen anything that's caught my attention. I honestly far prefer the GBA to the DS, if ONLY for the lack of a decent Metroid title, STILL. I'm beginning to think that we're never going to get another one besides Hunters, which is NOT a Metroid game by any means except for title.

That's not to say there aren't a few titles I'd like to pick up, like Sonic Rush and New Super Mario Bros (but I REFUSE to pay $35 for a game that's been out for at least a year now). But for the most part, I've got everything I want for DS. Hell, I still have some GBA titles I need to get...I'm not entirely sure how I still haven't gotten a hold of Metroid: Zero Mission.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Wait, wait, wait...

You're missing out on New Super Mario Bros., a platforming classic, just because you don't want to spend 35 dollars? You're missing out.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Wait, wait, wait...

You're missing out on New Super Mario Bros., a platforming classic, just because you don't want to spend 35 dollars? You're missing out.
Well, I'm not that big of a Mario fan, so it's not really worth $35. And on principle, because it's been...2 FREAKIN' YEARS! I just looked it up, it was released in May of 2006. Yeah, I will NOT spend that much money on it. Although, considering Sonic Rush is about $15, I don't know why I haven't gotten it yet. I'm just way too lazy about getting games that I've been meaning to get. Which is probably why (in combination with a few other factors) it took me until today to get a 360 when I decided I wanted one...god, how many months ago? At LEAST 2 or 3.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
It's still 35 dollars because it's that good of a game.

And it stills sells incredibly well.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
And it stills sells incredibly well.
No, that's why it's still $35.

Either way, it's been two years and that's too long a time for it to be out for me to still pay $35 for it.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
That's like saying this bottle of fine wine that's thirty years old is to old to be sold for two hundred dollars (probably would be worth more, but I'm no wine expert).

M.K

Level 55
Wait, wait, wait...

NSMB was NOT a legendary game. It was just yet another platformer.
(Played it all throughout an airplane ride)

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
That's like saying this bottle of fine wine that's thirty years old is to old to be sold for two hundred dollars (probably would be worth more, but I'm no wine expert).
Actually, it's quite the opposite. While wine goes up in value with age, games generally go down in value with age. Obviously not ALL games, because rarer ones (Super Mario RPG and Earthbound are two notable ones today) end up skyrocketing in value. But that comparison is not fitting.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
NSMB was a great game, but was easy, short and had crap all secrets. :(

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
I liked NSMB alright, but the fact that being able to save your game was a reward for COMPLETING the game? Come on, that's just stupid. And I enjoyed it, but it can't really compare to any 8bit or 16bit Mario platformers.

When are game companies going to realize that gamers DON'T have an aversion to sprites? Hell, a lot of people playing games today grew up with sprites, which is why it kills me to see bad 3D models in NSMB and Sonic Rush. Sure, it was novel to have 3D models on a handheld system for a while. But I really think that good old-fashions 16bit-reminiscient sprites would've added some much-needed charm to NSMB, and would've made Sonic Rush even better.

Don't even get me started on Sonic Rush Adventure. How the hell did they screw up THAT attempt at a new Sonic series so quickly??? SR was AMAZING, everything Sonic fans have been looking for for the last 10 years or so. And then SRA wastes your time with stupid bulls**t that NOBODY cares about just to get to a level in order to play it? F*** that. I don't have time. I want to load up a level, and run around in it, and smash through some enemies. Is that too much to ask? Or do I really have to collect 12 green gems, 13 red ones, and 4 orange ones by replaying levels I've already completed?

...what is this thread about again?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
When are game companies going to realize that gamers DON'T have an aversion to sprites? Hell, a lot of people playing games today grew up with sprites, which is why it kills me to see bad 3D models in NSMB and Sonic Rush. Sure, it was novel to have 3D models on a handheld system for a while. But I really think that good old-fashions 16bit-reminiscient sprites would've added some much-needed charm to NSMB, and would've made Sonic Rush even better.
I think development costs probably have at least a little to do with this. When you consider how much stuff is packed into NSMB, it probably would've taken them longer to finish it if they were working with Castlevania-level sprites.

Don't even get me started on Sonic Rush Adventure. How the hell did they screw up THAT attempt at a new Sonic series so quickly??? SR was AMAZING, everything Sonic fans have been looking for for the last 10 years or so. And then SRA wastes your time with stupid bulls**t that NOBODY cares about just to get to a level in order to play it? F*** that. I don't have time. I want to load up a level, and run around in it, and smash through some enemies. Is that too much to ask? Or do I really have to collect 12 green gems, 13 red ones, and 4 orange ones by replaying levels I've already completed?

...what is this thread about again?
I don't remember.

Even Sonic Rush wasn't perfect, what with the ridiculous monologues about the Power of Friendship Sonic just had to give Blaze whenever they came within a mile of each other.

That's post-Dreamcast SEGA for you. :ohwell:

---

Concerning NSMB: I liked it. Probably more than any of the other 2D Mario platformers, but that's probably got to do with me never having touched any of those ones until well after their time had passed. Completing the game wasn't bad, but getting all those **** Star Coins and Challenge Mode certainly were.

@Firus: What are the 9 DS games you own? If you tell me none of them aren't named "Elite Beat Agents", I will be sad. I just have a hard time believing that of the hundreds upon hundreds of DS titles out there...there are only so few that are worth your time.

I have a much easier time believing that you just haven't given most of those games a chance. :ohwell:

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
NSMB was pretty good. Just a little easy and short but It was still fun.
The only other problem would be....bring back the koopalings!!!
Bowser jr. has the exact same weakness each round but the koopalings were all different.

Rush was a lot of fun. That's all I got a say about it :p

-:bowser:Bowser King

the Lexx

Smash Apprentice
It took me about four hours to beat NSMB, going through most of the secrets along the way. It was a good game I guess but SMW and SMB3 put it to shame, and those games are over 15 years old!

Also this. I actually like sprites a lot better than most of the 3D models the DS uses. Making NSMB "3D"didn't really add a lot.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
When are game companies going to realize that gamers DON'T have an aversion to sprites?
EXACTLY! I love sprites, and they practically never use them anymore! There are always idiots out there who complain because the DS hasn't gone completely 3D though -- reviews of Pokemon Diamond/Pearl reflected this. I mean, that whole battle system for the handhelds has been going on for all four Pokemon generations so far, and now the games are getting critiqued because they're not doing all-out 3D battles? So great, if Nintendo listens, we won't see sprites, at least not in-battle, anymore.

But seriously, I love sprites. I love working with them on the computer, and I also love seeing them in games. 3D has its own charm, but 2D, sprites and all, has a better charm, in my opinion.
Hell, I actually really wanted to play Super Metroid before I had played it just because I had seen the sprites from the game on The Spriter's Resource and I found them to be so superior to Fusion/Zero Mission's. Now, of course, I love Super Metroid for being the awesome game it is, but that's what initially attracted me to it.

@Firus: What are the 9 DS games you own? If you tell me none of them aren't named "Elite Beat Agents", I will be sad. I just have a hard time believing that of the hundreds upon hundreds of DS titles out there...there are only so few that are worth your time.

I have a much easier time believing that you just haven't given most of those games a chance. :ohwell:
I own:

1. Super Mario 64 DS
  2. Animal Crossing Wild World
  3. Metroid Prime: Hunters
  4. Pokemon Diamond
  5. Pokemon Pearl
  6. Star Fox Command
  7. Nintendogs
  8. Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis
  9. Kirby Squeak Squad
  10. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
  11. Mario Kart DS

So I guess it's eleven, I must've counted wrong.

No, I don't own Elite Beat Agents, but it is a rhythm game, is it not? Not a huge fan of those...plus, I'm a little sick of all of the hype Nintendo Power gives it, as if it's the best game ever. Blech, Nintendo Power annoys me.

Maybe I just haven't given them a chance. On the other hand, to try out every title on the DS to "give them a chance" would be impossible, so I've got to read about them and make judgments.
Oh, and I forgot to mention, I want to get a Phoenix Wright game as well.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
I own:

1. Super Mario 64 DS
  4. Pokemon Diamond
  5. Pokemon Pearl
  6. Star Fox Command
  7. Nintendogs
  9. Kirby Squeak Squad
  11. Mario Kart DS
Needs more Advanced Wars. Either Dual strike or Day of ruin.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
When are game companies going to realize that gamers DON'T have an aversion to sprites?
Capcom knows, hence the 'retro' design of Megaman 9.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
@Firus: If you love sprites so much, WHY DON'T YOU OWN THE DS CASTLEVANIA GAMES!? They've got some of the best sprite design this side of Odin Sphere. And they're ridiculously fun to boot.

Also EBA is the best game ever. This is fact. :bee:

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
@Firus: If you love sprites so much, WHY DON'T YOU OWN THE DS CASTLEVANIA GAMES!? They've got some of the best sprite design this side of Odin Sphere. And they're ridiculously fun to boot.

Also EBA is the best game ever. This is fact. :bee:
Well, I've never tried Castlevania so I don't really know anything about it. I've been meaning to try it out forever, but I haven't gotten around to it.

And no, EBA is not the best game ever. Super Metroid > ALL, and the fact that Nintendo Power said Zero Mission was better...
Let's just say I loathe them with a passion.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I think you need to stop reading NP. It's not a particularly good magazine anyways. :chuckle:

Castlevania's definitely something you need to look into if you haven't yet. The 3rd DS game comes out on the 21st of this month, so there's that. Basically, picture a 2D Metroid game, only with levels, stats, loot, more content, and really really really good music.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I think you need to stop reading NP. It's not a particularly good magazine anyways. :chuckle:

Castlevania's definitely something you need to look into if you haven't yet. The 3rd DS game comes out on the 21st of this month, so there's that. Basically, picture a 2D Metroid game, only with levels, stats, loot, more content, and really really really good music.
Yeah. Chris Slate is an *** and they're all a bunch of fanboys now.

I do need to look into it, although I'd prefer to look for a cheaper alternative first to make sure I like the franchise before I buy a brand new game.

And you say that like Metroid is lacking...

Really, really, really, good music? Hm, never heard anything like that before...certainly not from a 2D Metroid game.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Dude, buy the Castlevania games. They may not stand up to Super Metroid (and hardly anything does), but they're still absolutely fantastic games.

And I don't get whats wrong with using 3D models instead of sprites. Just, two different art forms, I guess.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I do need to look into it, although I'd prefer to look for a cheaper alternative first to make sure I like the franchise before I buy a brand new game.
Last I checked (which was a while ago, admittedly), Portrait of Ruin was in the sub-20$ range on Amazon.

And you said you own a 360, right? You can download Symphony of the Night (regarded largely as the best CV of all time) on XBLA, as well.

And you say that like Metroid is lacking...
In comparison to Castlevania, it is. While Metroid has all those hidden Energy Tanks and Missile Expansions, and not really anything else, post-Symphony of the Night Castlevania games are filled with literally hundreds of different items, in addition to the requisite HP and MP expansion potions. Couple that with the Soul and Mastery systems in the two DS games (which reward you for slaying certain numbers of the many, many different types of monsters), and you have a lot more stuff to do in recent CVs aside from trying for a certain completion % or clear time.

Really, really, really, good music? Hm, never heard anything like that before...certainly not from a 2D Metroid game.
Yes. Really, really, really good music. :bee:

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Chief Mendez said:
Even Sonic Rush wasn't perfect, what with the ridiculous monologues about the Power of Friendship Sonic just had to give Blaze whenever they came within a mile of each other.

That's post-Dreamcast SEGA for you.
Yeah I'll give you that one, but at least playing the game was fun, and couldn't the cut-scenes be skipped through rather quickly? In SRA you have to waste SERIOUS amounts of time just to make it to the next level.

And while we're on the subject of music, SR had some great music. I'd play whichever level it was JUST to here "Right There, Right On."

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Of course Nintendo means this in the same way that the DS is not a replacement for the GBA.

It's not a replacement... until they sell out their stocks of the original system. Then, it is a replacement. It's that simple. They just have to say it's not replacing it so that people don't think that Nintendo screwed them over.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
I own:

1. Super Mario 64 DS
  4. Pokemon Diamond
  5. Pokemon Pearl
  6. Star Fox Command
  7. Nintendogs
  9. Kirby Squeak Squad
  11. Mario Kart DS
+ Yoshi's Island DS for great justice.

That list also needs alot of non-Nintendo love. As in...any at all. Castlevanias, as previously stated, Lock's Quest, one or more of the Square Enix offerings, Etrian Oddessy or other Atlus games...lordy, there's so many great ones it's hard to just shout out a few.

Top Bottom