• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo DSi

derek.haines

Smash Ace
I actually like the reality of this. It doesn't disappoint at all. With the dual touch screens there's definitely going to be instant motivation to get one, but without a GBA slot there's a reason not to let go of the old one.

Still stands to be known how the camera is going to be utilized in-game, because the quality isn't good enough to even start to be marketed as a replacement... Hmm...

And I love the sound of the DSiware. Downloadable handheld games? Score. I'm among those willing to re-buy games for the convenience of carrying a bunch around with me on the same unit.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
There's still only one touch screen. Why would you ever need two, anyways?

As for the camera...I'm sure Ninty'll figure something fun out for the external, hi-res one, but the one that's next to the microphone's obviously used to put you in the game, most evident in Stage Debut. With two cameras though, they can pull tricky things, like letting you take pictures of yourself, with the background being wherever the outside camera's pointing.

What I'm most excited about though, is the prospect of playing VC games on the go. I'd MUCH rather play Super Metroid, Gunstar Heroes, and Alien Soldier on a DS than on a TV with a Classic Controller. Now, technically they haven't announced if this is possible, but we do know that the DSiWare encompasses "additional applications", and it's not much of a stretch to assume that Ninty could sell a "VC Player" or "Virtual SNES/Genesis/NES/etc." for a couple hundred Nintendo Points, that would allow you to put the VC games on your Wii on an SD card, put said card in your DSi, then load the VC Player and play those games on the go.

Seriously I'm buying it just for that.

That said...I'm kind of worried about the DSiWare, and all that's concerned with the SD slot. With such direct access, it's kind of hard to imagine Ninty from keeping pirates from releasing ROM emulators by day one, and unlike the Wii, which is always connected to the internet, they can't beam a homebrew-killing patch to the DSi unless you voluntarily updated...which no self-respecting pirate would do. And putting updates in cartridges? Why buy actual cartridges when you can just wait for the ROM?

Also apparently the battery only lasts 3 hours on the highest brightness setting...:urg:

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
The DSi doesn't have the kickass gloss paint the Lite has, until it has a good gloss paint, I will consider buying it, but the camera is crap though. :(

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Any one think that the VC will be implemented with DSi? Seeing that the things a portable N64...gasp Ocarina of time on the go.
I know, man. I'm going to freak if they tell us we can pop all the games we've already downloaded from the Wii onto this baby.

I'd actually be inspired to play and beat them all again. It'd be like a couple hundred hours of free games. Day one buy for me if they can make it work like that.

...And heck, even if they don't, I'm sure the homebrew scene will cover me to somehow.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Damm, I didn't think Nintendo would make such an equpment for the DS, and to think I wasn't sure of getting it. :p

My mind is made up, I'm getting this system when it comes out, then I will have two DS's once again.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
No GBA slot is a little strange in my opinion, but this still looks really cool. This and the new Wii may just revive Nintendo(in terms of quality, of course).

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
I knew there would be built in internet >:D

Seems awesome. I'm going to give my old DS to my brother and get the new DSi.
So if I ever wanna play GBA games, I'll just use my DS.

-:bowser:Bowser King

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/02/nintendo-dsi-vs-psp-3000-vs-ipod-touch-v1-0/

Comparison of DSi, PSP-3000, and iPod Touch v1.0. Is this the start of a 3-way handheld console war?

I hope so. :D
As if any of Apple's products can actually compete with the DS and PSP. Seriously, that was a really dumb post.

bowser king said:
So if I ever wanna play GBA games, I'll just use my DS.
...Or your DSi, amirite? Seriously, with this SD card thing, I see no reason why somebody can't get a GBA emulator running on the thing, too.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
After some consideration, I might get that sense my DS touuch screen is all ****ed up, and I'll keep my DS lite for GBA games
Yeah, that's what I plan on doing. My DS Phat's done me proud since '04 (man, has it already been that long...?), and I'd never get rid of it.

But yeah, I have like, fifty dead pixels across both screens, and the bottom one is a mess after I got done with Ninja Gaiden. So I'll put that guy into premature retirement, only pulling it out if I need to revisit an old GBA game, while my shiny new DSi handles all the awesome DS games I've collected so far.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Yeah, that's what I plan on doing.
So I'll put that guy into premature retirement, only pulling it out if I need to revisit an old GBA game, while my shiny new DSi handles all the awesome DS games I've collected so far.
...Or your DSi, amirite? Seriously, with this SD card thing, I see no reason why somebody can't get a GBA emulator running on the thing, too.
amirite?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Yes! :bee:

...Okay, so I like to contradict myself from time to time. It's just a hobby of mine, geez. Don't get all persnickity over it...

SRSLY THO there are some GBA games I'd still have to play on the ol' Phat. In particular, Warioware Twisted. Also I prefer my Metroid DS games to have rumble, along with Elite Beat Agents, so there's another one.

But yeah, I imagine most of my library of GBA games will be legally backed up in ROM form ASAP, so they're all at my fingertips.

the Lexx

Smash Apprentice
That said...I'm kind of worried about the DSiWare, and all that's concerned with the SD slot. With such direct access, it's kind of hard to imagine Ninty from keeping pirates from releasing ROM emulators by day one, and unlike the Wii, which is always connected to the internet, they can't beam a homebrew-killing patch to the DSi unless you voluntarily updated...which no self-respecting pirate would do. And putting updates in cartridges? Why buy actual cartridges when you can just wait for the ROM?

Also apparently the battery only lasts 3 hours on the highest brightness setting...:urg:
Ever hear of flash carts?

Anyway no GBA slot is dumb and the other features don't seem interesting enough, I doubt I'll get one.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Ever hear of flash carts?
Flash carts aren't exactly what you'd call "in the public eye". But once people realize all they have to do is put an emulator and a bunch of ROMs on the SD card they've been using to store music on...

It's not going to be pretty. :ohwell:

derek.haines

Smash Ace
As if any of Apple's products can actually compete with the DS and PSP. Seriously, that was a really dumb post.
I dunno...it's apparently got some pretty serious 3D chops, and a processor beyond what's in the PSP. I'm not even going to begin to suggest that it could suddenly emerge as a strong contender against either the DS or the PSP, but it certainly makes the strongest case so far for a mobile platform being a viable gaming system.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I dunno...it's apparently got some pretty serious 3D chops, and a processor beyond what's in the PSP. I'm not even going to begin to suggest that it could suddenly emerge as a strong contender against either the DS or the PSP, but it certainly makes the strongest case so far for a mobile platform being a viable gaming system.
Yeah but...the controls suck. Outside of sim stuff or slow-paced RTS/strategy games, you really can't run any serious games on it and expect good results.

Also, more on the capabilities of the cameras/music player:
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/151781/hands_on_with_nintendos_dsi.html

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
So its armed
with a .3 Megapixel camera that can be transferred onto the Wii
.3 Megapixel. I'm pretty sure that's worse than my cell phone, and while my cell phone is relatively good as cell phones go, it's still a camera on a cell phone. In other words, this is pretty much useless.

SD card support
This could be useful. Hey, Homebrew Channel on the DS, anyone?

Internal Memory
**** YEA!!!
This should be useful.

Integrated Internet Browser(no more use for that DS internet browser card)
MORE **** YEA
Considering how much the DS Browser sucked before, I can't imagine it's been improved much, so it's nice that you get it equipped immediately but it's nothing to get excited over.

More thinner than the DS Lite...wait is that even possible?
If you're talking about grammatically, no.

Physically, yes. Although this isn't really a plus, I find the DS Phat very portable, so I don't think I need anything smaller. In any case, I'd rather have a larger handheld with nothing stripped than stripping it to its bare bones to get it small.

DSiware(how original)
So basically, WiiWare and possibly VC on the DS. Unless you can transfer (TRANSFER, I don't want to have to re-purchase them) VC titles onto the DS, this is virtually (no pun intended) useless for me. Super Metroid on the go would be pure awesome. But I wouldn't buy any more titles (well, a few, since they give you 1000 points with the system and they expire eventually -- if I didn't buy some games early on I'd be wasting $10, assuming the same system of points stands here). I realized that I prefer playing the original copy, (so much that I repurchased Super Metroid for the SNES, not that it's not worth it anyways) so I'll buy a game and then buy it again, wasting time and money. If I can port current games, though, I do have a fair amount of games already purchased so it'd be useful.

And this...

But the bad news

The GBA slot got ran out of town. But there is a rumor going around that the DSiware games are old GBA games. So that kinda counter acts the no GBA slot. And no more crappy peripherals possible now with the GBA slot went bye bye.
...killed it for me. Even if it had the most amazing features in the world, I honestly don't give a crap. I own like, 9, maybe 10, games for the DS, NONE of which I play very often, (the only ones I even play remotely consistently are Kirby: Squeak Squad and Pokemon Diamond + Pearl) and as I stated before most of the use my DS gets is for the GBA compatibility. So, nice try Nintendo, but...you killed it. Remove the god**** camera and MP3 player and add the GBA slot and I'll consider it.

Also, to whomever it was that said that GBA games will probably be available and that's a solution...I'm not made of money. I don't want to rebuy every title for the DS just so I can play them.

*Sigh*...Nintendo, why the HELL are you so anxious to get rid of the Game Boy? First we can't play GB/GBC games on the Phat/Lite, and now we don't have any GB at ALL on the DSi?

There's still only one touch screen. Why would you ever need two, anyways?
Exactly. If we DO get two...I smell complete incompatibility with new games and a load of gimmicks. As if one touch screen wasn't implemented shoddily enough.

What I'm most excited about though, is the prospect of playing VC games on the go. I'd MUCH rather play Super Metroid, Gunstar Heroes, and Alien Soldier on a DS than on a TV with a Classic Controller. Now, technically they haven't announced if this is possible, but we do know that the DSiWare encompasses "additional applications", and it's not much of a stretch to assume that Ninty could sell a "VC Player" or "Virtual SNES/Genesis/NES/etc." for a couple hundred Nintendo Points, that would allow you to put the VC games on your Wii on an SD card, put said card in your DSi, then load the VC Player and play those games on the go.

Seriously I'm buying it just for that.
If this happens, it's the ONLY thing that MIGHT persuade me to get it. (Although an SNES Portable would be so much more awesome.)
But I somehow doubt Nintendo will do this unless they do a VC Player so you have to pay extra money to do it just so they can make even more money off of it. Why? Well, it took them 2 years in the Wii's life to figure out a valid storage solution, so you tell me.

Actually, the Wii isn't always connected to the internet...it's entirely possible to choose not to update your Wii if you have Homebrew stuff. I know, I have it myself. And I don't know why the lack of an auto-homebrew-killing patch is a BAD thing. Honest to god, I spent the money on the system and I don't feel like having them tell me how to play it.

3 hours? Wow, sounds like a keeper guys. Not only do you lose the double time of using an iPod and a regular DS here, but you get about HALF the normal time for BOTH! Yeah!

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/02/nintendo-dsi-vs-psp-3000-vs-ipod-touch-v1-0/

Comparison of DSi, PSP-3000, and iPod Touch v1.0. Is this the start of a 3-way handheld console war?

I hope so. :D
...No.

The iPod Touch is not a gaming device, first of all. Second of all, why do you want Apple to enter the race?

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
My DS phat running an M3 lasts 10 hours, easy. This is inexcusable. That said, I didn't shell out for the Lite and a poor camera (never got whether it was .3 or 3 MP) + outdated freaking massive-size SD card slot is definitely not worth losing a GBA slot and potential flash card usage.

Javier78

Smash Apprentice
...killed it for me. Even if it had the most amazing features in the world, I honestly don't give a crap. I own like, 9, maybe 10, games for the DS, NONE of which I play very often, (the only ones I even play remotely consistently are Kirby: Squeak Squad and Pokemon Diamond + Pearl) and as I stated before most of the use my DS gets is for the GBA compatibility. So, nice try Nintendo, but...you killed it. Remove the god**** camera and MP3 player and add the GBA slot and I'll consider it.
You said it yourself. If the homebrew scene starts up with this thing, the first thing anyone would make the DSi do is make it play GBA ROMS.

Although, there is the problem of your GBA saves.

Either way, I guess your point still stands: You hate it, and will not buy it.=P

The Executive

Smash Lord
to whomever it was that said that GBA games will probably be available and that's a solution...I'm not made of money. I don't want to rebuy every title for the DS just so I can play them.
Seeing as how the DS chipset fails horribly at emulating GBA games they would have to install a legacy chipset just to do this which would render the slot removal a complete waste of time. (like it isn't already)

*Sigh*...Nintendo, why the HELL are you so anxious to get rid of the Game Boy? First we can't play GB/GBC games on the Phat/Lite, and now we don't have any GB at ALL on the DSi?
Whoring to the masses.

If this happens, it's the ONLY thing that MIGHT persuade me to get it. (Although an SNES Portable would be so much more awesome.)
But I somehow doubt Nintendo will do this unless they do a VC Player so you have to pay extra money to do it just so they can make even more money off of it. Why? Well, it took them 2 years in the Wii's life to figure out a valid storage solution, so you tell me.
There are decent DS emulators for all 16-bit and previous consoles the VC emulates. M3 FTW.

3 hours? Wow, sounds like a keeper guys. Not only do you lose the double time of using an iPod and a regular DS here, but you get about HALF the normal time for BOTH! Yeah!
Again, inexcusable.

Also, a .3MP camera is garbage as well. Go buy a $10 disposable.\

Edit: About the GBA games thing...Nintendo, let me tell you a story. Have you ever heard of this thing called the Game Boy? It's this nifty piece of equipment that you carry around, and it plays video games. It's also fully backwards compatible with every previous iteration in its series, so you never have to worry about not being able to play your games from fifteen years ago. It's a great thing, and it made a lot of suits very happy.

But, as time went by, the Game Boy began to age. The suits were displeased with their creation, and moved to make a new portable device to replace the ailing Game Boy. The only problem was, when they made this device, they kept some of the newer Game Boy games, but they forgot all about the older Game Boy games that had made the suits so much money. "But what about us?" the poor games cried, "We were always good to you!" The suits replied "Times have changed, we don't need you anymore." and walked away, leaving the once-proud games to fade away into obscurity.

The suits went on, and made more money than ever before with their new creation. Everyone loved it, and it made them very happy. The older games lied around, dirty and unwanted, until one day a group of people came and took them in. "We don't care how much money you make us," they said, "we just want people to never forget who you are." And they gave the games a new life on the Internet, where they could run and be free and interact with people who cared about them.

Basically, Nintendo, where I'm going with this is that when you cut off a potential function from a product (and by extension a source of revenue), you lose a section of your market, and if you continue along this path you may find that, once the novelty of your current products wears off, the market of people you depend on to support you may not be there.

Think about it.

The Executive

Smash Lord
The Q. I saw one of those back when I lived in Japan and they still sold them, but I couldn't really afford a $325 GC/dvd combo especially since I already owned both of those. You'd be a fool to pay an extra $175 (GCs were $150 at the time) for DVD playback when DVD players were $20+.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Edit: About the GBA games thing...Nintendo, let me tell you a story. Have you ever heard of this thing called the Game Boy? It's this nifty piece of equipment that you carry around, and it plays video games. It's also fully backwards compatible with every previous iteration in its series, so you never have to worry about not being able to play your games from fifteen years ago. It's a great thing, and it made a lot of suits very happy.

But, as time went by, the Game Boy began to age. The suits were displeased with their creation, and moved to make a new portable device to replace the ailing Game Boy. The only problem was, when they made this device, they kept some of the newer Game Boy games, but they forgot all about the older Game Boy games that had made the suits so much money. "But what about us?" the poor games cried, "We were always good to you!" The suits replied "Times have changed, we don't need you anymore." and walked away, leaving the once-proud games to fade away into obscurity.

The suits went on, and made more money than ever before with their new creation. Everyone loved it, and it made them very happy. The older games lied around, dirty and unwanted, until one day a group of people came and took them in. "We don't care how much money you make us," they said, "we just want people to never forget who you are." And they gave the games a new life on the Internet, where they could run and be free and interact with people who cared about them.

Basically, Nintendo, where I'm going with this is that when you cut off a potential function from a product (and by extension a source of revenue), you lose a section of your market, and if you continue along this path you may find that, once the novelty of your current products wears off, the market of people you depend on to support you may not be there.

Think about it.
Nice story.

Nintendo is sure going to read it, and as you said "think about it".
It's a rumor! It hasn't been confirmed...

The Executive

Smash Lord
PC World (hands on article) said:
There are some drawbacks to the DSi over the DS Lite.

At ¥18,900 (US$179) it's a bit more expensive than the ¥16,800 DS Lite but that difference shouldn't cause too many people to change their purchasing plans.

Also, to make the handheld console thin, Nintendo took away the slot for Game Boy Advance games. No longer can GBA games be played on DS and DS games that use the GBA slot can't be used on DSi but a new range of DSi-only games are likely to appear so this could make up for the difference.

All in all, if you're considering to buy a DS Lite, the camera and audio functions in DSi make it a strong contender for your cash and could make you reconsider your plans.
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/151781/hands_on_with_nintendos_dsi.html

So, yes, it has been confirmed.

Darkslash

Smash Master
.3 Megapixel. I'm pretty sure that's worse than my cell phone, and while my cell phone is relatively good as cell phones go, it's still a camera on a cell phone. In other words, this is pretty much useless.
Turns out i was Wrong and right Its Both. Inside they moved the Mic to the right to put a .3 Camera. The Out side has a 3 Megapixel

This could be useful. Hey, Homebrew Channel on the DS, anyone?
More like Pirated games with out a R4

This should be useful.
Yea DSiware games...

Considering how much the DS Browser sucked before, I can't imagine it's been improved much, so it's nice that you get it equipped immediately but it's nothing to get excited over.
your secret Stash on the go :D..noooo...

If you're talking about grammatically, no.

Physically, yes. Although this isn't really a plus, I find the DS Phat very portable, so I don't think I need anything smaller. In any case, I'd rather have a larger handheld with nothing stripped than stripping it to its bare bones to get it small.
Turns out the GBA slot was fat.

So basically, WiiWare and possibly VC on the DS. Unless you can transfer (TRANSFER, I don't want to have to re-purchase them) VC titles onto the DS, this is virtually (no pun intended) useless for me. Super Metroid on the go would be pure awesome. But I wouldn't buy any more titles (well, a few, since they give you 1000 points with the system and they expire eventually -- if I didn't buy some games early on I'd be wasting $10, assuming the same system of points stands here). I realized that I prefer playing the original copy, (so much that I repurchased Super Metroid for the SNES, not that it's not worth it anyways) so I'll buy a game and then buy it again, wasting time and money. If I can port current games, though, I do have a fair amount of games already purchased so it'd be useful.
Wii data can be transferred to the DSi with the SD cards so its so possible

And this...

Also, to whomever it was that said that GBA games will probably be available and that's a solution...I'm not made of money. I don't want to rebuy every title for the DS just so I can play them.

Are we seriously opposites? I only have 2 GBA games...Dawn of Souls and Golden Sun. Not even Pokemon R/S/E. I play DS games daily but maybe because of a little flash cart called the R4.

Exactly. If we DO get two...I smell complete incompatibility with new games and a load of gimmicks. As if one touch screen wasn't implemented shoddily enough.
Picture Abominations FTW

Which is why i'm going to keep it on the 2nd lowest setting.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
How did I miss this quote until now?

I completely agree. The next upgraded DS (not a new model like the DS Lite) should have been able to play GB games as well, not get rid of the possibility of BOTH of them.

There had better be an essential DS game I can never live without with the launch of this, or it'll just be another passable fad of "pack as much **** as possible into portables."

derek.haines

Smash Ace

Solution? Don't get rid of what you have now, just like gamers have been doing for years. People nowadays are reeeeeally spoiled by backwards compatibility. Back in the old days, it was that when you bought a new system it simply had no option whatsoever of playing games from it's predecessor, period. When people bought a SNES, it didn't play their NES games, and when people bought a Nintendo 64 it certainly wasn't backwards compatible with their SNES games. This is a recent phenomenon, and not even a very far-reaching one (newer PS3s are incapable of PS2 playback, and my PS2 has always had trouble with PS1 games. XBOX 360s are only capable of limited XBOX emulation.).

I understand it's not fun to carry around every handheld system ever with you, but why would you be in the first place? If I'm on the road, odds are there are only a handful of games I'm playing at any one time anyway, and those are the only ones I need to take with me.

The iPod Touch is not a gaming device, first of all. Second of all, why do you want Apple to enter the race?
I don't think anybody's suggesting it is a gaming device, but as far as non-gaming devices go it's pedigree is pretty strong and it's actually getting some fairly decent titles.

As for why we'd want Apple to enter the race: Competition. It can only help the industry. Nintendo has dominated virtually unchallenged since the beginning of handheld gaming. Sony has yet to be able to mount a viable charge. Maybe Apple could make them sweat a little bit. ;) Unlikely, but not impossible.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Although this isn't really a plus, I find the DS Phat very portable, so I don't think I need anything smaller. In any case, I'd rather have a larger handheld with nothing stripped than stripping it to its bare bones to get it small.
As a Handheld console it's fine. As an MP3 player, it's not. When I went to the gym I used my DS phat as a music player and it was a pain to fit in my pocket.

Nintendood

Smash Cadet
I understand how core nintendo fans might be upset with the whole camera and music thing, but nintendo is just using that as another way to enhance gameplay, which is awsome for them. im probobly gonna get one.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
even though it has an integrated camera, I think i'll rather buy a PSP instead solely for the purpose of having better titles than it, besides who cares if it has mp3 funcionality, PsP can do that.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
even though it has an integrated camera, I think i'll rather buy a PSP instead solely for the purpose of having better titles than it, besides who cares if it has mp3 funcionality, PsP can do that.
While the PSP can indeed do more (though the gap is lessening), the DS has a much, much better selection of games in almost every genre imaginable.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222049

I'm not sure how up-to-date that list is, but it's a pretty exhaustive one of the majority of the good DS software, and there's something for everyone in there.

Top Bottom