• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo DSi

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
No way man, the paperclip one is so much funnier more informative.

I'm glad Nintendo showed me not to cover my DSi charger in paperclips before plugging it into a wall outlet, or else I might have seriously injured myself!

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
This just makes me think "GBA Micro".

Honestly, I want a NEW DS that has more POWERFUL hardware. I am getting sick of looking at pixelated stuff. It doesn'thave to be much more powerful. In fact, if it could get say PSP resolution/power, and keep it's DS functionality, the DS would never have to change again IMO. As it is, I'm just mad that they're removing the GBA slot. A) because I loves me my GBA games and B) Because that means no peripherals. Ie, Guitar Hero On tour Can't be used with this. My rumble pack can't be used. and a music player? My 80GB iPod covers that. I am, however, willing to concede that the camera may be interesting. It's an eye toy, except maybe even better since it has two cameras I believe. Also my DS has broken hinges and dirt under the casing, so I'l probably get one of these anyways.

Deception

Smash Ace
hey is the dsi suppose to be the next generation nintendo handheld or something?
It's not a next gen handheld, it's basically a small upgrade for the DS to expand its life. Get it if you're interested in the DSiWare or you need another DS.

I'm probably getting this. My younger brother is constantly taking my DS, so having this DS and giving him my old one would solve that problem. Not to mention my DS is really filthy now and this DS has a matte finish to prevent fingerprints.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I am, however, willing to concede that the camera may be interesting. It's an eye toy, except maybe even better since it has two cameras I believe. Also my DS has broken hinges and dirt under the casing, so I'l probably get one of these anyways.
The "killer app" of the DSi's downloadable launch games (i.e. the best game available for download on Day 1...which I think is today in Japan) is a new Wario Ware game, in which you set the DSi on a table, and use your silhouette (captured by the camera) to play the microgames.

Which sounds freaking awesome!

...But yeah, I'm really only planning on buying one because my DS has had the sh*t beat out of it since 2004 when I first got it. If I ever have a burning desire to play old GBA games, I can bust it out again. It's not like I'll be getting rid of it or anything.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
The only things I stand to gain by buying a DSi would be the 3mp camera and built-in Wifi, since my Samsung SYNC has a 2MP camera and horrific internet.
If your SYNC has a 2MP camera, it's better than the DSi's. It's not a 3MP camera, but a .3MP camera. Meaning it's just about as bad as you can get.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I thought the outside camera had 3 mp and the inside had .3 MP :confused:
That's correct. I'm confused that this hasn't been sorted out yet.

External camera = 3MP
Internal camera = 0.3MP (VGA)

...Is what I'd like to say. But no matter how hard I look, I CANNOT FIND AN ANSWER TO THIS. Kotaku says they're both 0.3, while Gamepsot says the same. Meanwhile, PC World says one is 3MP, as does Wikipedia and Joystiq.

Honestly I don't think it matters that much though. Let's just focus on what we know: it's pretty, lightweight, and easier to pirate new.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
That's correct. I'm confused that this hasn't been sorted out yet.

External camera = 3MP
Internal camera = 0.3MP (VGA)

...Is what I'd like to say. But no matter how hard I look, I CANNOT FIND AN ANSWER TO THIS. Kotaku says they're both 0.3, while Gamepsot says the same. Meanwhile, PC World says one is 3MP, as does Wikipedia and Joystiq.
I think we can definitively say that it's 640x480 resolution for both cameras.

http://media.ds.ign.com/articles/926/926274/imgs_1.html

IGN's hands-on with the camera includes some pictures, and both the vanity shots from the inside camera and the landscape shots from the outside camera are both the same resolution. Surprisingly, neither look all that bad. It's a VGA camera, but it appears to be a pretty decent VGA camera.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way

Wow, I know it's mostly an optical illusion, but the DSi's screens look alot bigger than the Phat's.
Is it just me or did the DSi get rid of those stupid hinges? That is awesome.
My DS lite has 1 broken hinge and every time I try to play I have to play it with the top screen in a weird position (like a 95 degrees angle). It also flops shut every time you touch the top screen >_>

-:bowser:Bowser King

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
It's out already? Time flies when you don't care. I probably wont buy this, it would be my 4th DS...

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I was hoping it came in Blue/Black color when it realesed. Oh well, I guess I'll get the first colors when it comes out.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
The DSi does have larger screens, you know.
I'm well aware that the screens are larger, but they're only supposed to be a quarter inch larger. Those look significantly bigger.

@Bowser King: Good eye, they do seem to have gotten rid of the nasty hinges that were giving player so much trouble. Looks like it's all one big hinge now.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
I'm well aware that the screens are larger, but they're only supposed to be a quarter inch larger. Those look significantly bigger.
Im sure you are well aware that screens are measured diagonally, so if it's a quarter inch larger diagonally, it's like one and a quarter inch of extra area.

the only sad part about the DSi is that it doesn't have the GBA slot:urg:

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
What I want to know are what is the extent of the SD card slots purpose? Sure you can play games and most likely save pictures on it, but can you play music from it? Can you watch small video's from it as well? Although it probably can't do that, if nintendo started integrating media players with their gaming systems they would find themselves sitting on even bigger piles of cash than before.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
What I want to know are what is the extent of the SD card slots purpose? Sure you can play games and most likely save pictures on it, but can you play music from it? Can you watch small video's from it as well? Although it probably can't do that, if nintendo started integrating media players with their gaming systems they would find themselves sitting on even bigger piles of cash than before.
You can play music, but as far as I know it's .aac only. Videos are hazier, though someone will probably reverse-engineer a format that would work for it.

@Zrky: Even measuring diagonally--as all screens are--a quarter inch is still a very tiny amount.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
Should be useful, for picture, music, downloaded games and such, maybe extra memory

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Alright, so recently Iwata had a very small little "release conference" for the DSi's Japanese debut. There was a good deal of money/stock/sales charts and all that hulabaloo, but there were also a few downloadable DSi Ware games showed off.

I already noted Utsusu! Made in Wario earlier in this thread (the Warioware game you play with the DSi's camera), but there's now word of something called Made in Ore. "Ore" is Japanese for "me".

It's a downloadable Microgame creation suite

Let that sink in. You can draw your own sprites, pixel by pixel. You can make your own music in a Mario Paint-esque application. You program the logic of all those elements to make your own microgame, then save it onto a virtual Famicom cartridge.

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE

Alongside that, there's a Wii Ware game called Play! Made in Ore, which allows you to play all these games online with your friends, and download new ones from an online community. So basically...it's LittleBigPlanet meets Warioware.

[SOURCE]

Also...

Darkslash

Smash Master
Chief Mendez;5733835 [I said:
Made in Ore[/I]. "Ore" is Japanese for "me".

Let that sink in. You can draw your own sprites, pixel by pixel. You can make your own music in a Mario Paint-esque application. You program the logic of all those elements to make your own microgame, then save it onto a virtual Famicom cartridge.
No ****ING WAI!!!!!!!@1!1

So we can even make our own custom OC sprites????!?!?!
Holy ****ing ****!
THEN MAKE YOUR OWN MUSIC?!?!?!?!?
MORE HOLY-- *ENOUGH WITH THE SWEAR WORDS!!!!**FINE*
BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE

Alongside that, there's a Wii Ware game called Play! Made in Ore, which allows you to play all these games online with your friends, and download new ones from an online community. So basically...it's LittleBigPlanet meets Warioware.
1)Littlebig Planet
2)Warioware
3)????
DSi and Wii
4) PROFIT!!!!!

[SOURCE]

Also...

FALCON SAYS YES!!!!

Minato

穏やかじゃない
It's about time they're thinking about releasing EBA 2. I hope it has better songs this time.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
It's about time they're thinking about releasing EBA 2. I hope it has better songs this time.
Whaaa!?

EBA's songlist is amazing. Sure, we all thought we'd be stabbing ourselves in the ears after listening to Ashlee Simpson and Avril Lavigne, but in the end, those songs became much more awesome because of the game. I expect we'll be seeing a bunch of old pop and rock classics, along with new "hits" in this game. *secretly wishing for a Soulja Boy song*

The only thing I really, really hope for is more Queen.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Alright, so recently Iwata had a very small little "release conference" for the DSi's Japanese debut. There was a good deal of money/stock/sales charts and all that hulabaloo, but there were also a few downloadable DSi Ware games showed off.

I already noted Utsusu! Made in Wario earlier in this thread (the Warioware game you play with the DSi's camera), but there's now word of something called Made in Ore. "Ore" is Japanese for "me".

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE

[SOURCE]

Also...

YES!!! EBA2 =D
....and made in ore sounds awesome!!!!

I would certainly buy both of them

-:bowser:Bowser King

Lovely

Smash Lord
The DSi is much better than I thought. I'm playing Utsutsu! Made in Wario and can't... stop... playing it. This game is perfect for the DSi. :D

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Is it time for the obligatory "Ouendan 2 came out years ago" post yet?

I for one couldn't stand EBA's localized playlist. You can't fix bad music by slapping a rhythm gimmick on it.
First of all, Ouendan 2 = EBA, not the other way around. Ouendan 1 is horribly lacking in features compared to EBA. So EBA 2 is going to have more, new features, as well as new music.

Also the music really wasn't that bad.

Walkie Talkie Man - Steriogram
ABC - Jackson Five
Sk8er Boi - Avril Lavigne
I Was Born to Love You - Queen
Rock This Town - Stray Cats
Highway Star - Deep Purple
Y.M.C.A. - Village People
September - Earth, Wind and Fire
Canned Heat - Jamiroquai
Material Girl - Madonna
La La - Ashlee Simpson
You're the Inspiration - Chicago
Survivor - Destiny's Child
Without a Fight - Hoobastank
Believe - Cher
Let's Dance - David Bowie
Jumpin Jack Flash - Rolling Stones
Makes No Difference - Sum 41
The Anthem - Good Charlotte

...The only truly crap songs in the game were La La and Sk8r Boi. Sure, The Anthem's not really that great, and Survivor's boderline...but they were made much better by the plot associated with them.

Everything else is win.

And it's not like either of the Ouendan songlists are totally without flaws. The cover of Samurai Blue was terrible in the 2nd game, and Ken Hirai? I was sickened.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
JJF and Canned Heat were the ones I played the most in EBA.

Deep Purple's Highway Star was cool, too bad they wouldn't let you play during the cool Guitar parts of the song.

I sold my copy of EBA though because it was glitched. Some glitched up squares would appear on the screen sometimes, and my total score wouldn't go up for some reason. I think JJF was the only song I didn't get a perfect on.

The song list wasn't that bad in EBA, but it could've been better.

Top Bottom