• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo DSi

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
The song list wasn't that bad in EBA, but it could've been better.
Well, it's a music game, so by definition you're correct. Everyone's got different tastes, so it'd be nearly impossible to make a "perfect" songlist, especially for a game like EBA/Ouendan, which relies so much on pop/rock music.

Honestly if La La wasn't in the game I'd think it was "perfect", but that's just me.

EDIT -

Nintendo UK said:
Iwata said that for WarioWare: Photograph, players will place the DSi on a table and then step back so their silhouette appears on-screen (thanks to the camera implanted in the system's hinges). Simply moving their bodies will allow players to complete simple activities. One nose-picking minigame shown called for a player to line up their extended fingers with a pair of floating nostrils. WarioWare: Photograph is scheduled for release in late December, around the time the DSiWare store goes live.
So yeah, Utsusu! has a new name. Kind of...boring, innit?

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
@EBA songlist

EBA needs more Queen. And more Daft Punk (srsly. Agent J singing Digital Love = win).

@WarioWare

So the DSi is a portable EyeToy now?

§leepy God

Smash Master
I wish that NOA released it this year, it would had made a great Christmas present to a lot of people who wanted it. Oh well, I guess I have to wait next year for my first DS.

binki4

Smash Apprentice
i want a nintendo dsi because i want it so bad since i broke my psp becase the controlls are meash up so i very sad about it so this is my chance to have one

rhan

Smash Hero
This looks awesome. But I can live without it. This is basically for the more on the go gammers. I'm in the middle of nowhere so it's kinda pointless for me. I might consider it if it's lower then the PSP in price. But other then that not for me.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I'm pretty certain the Japanese price point is around 180 USD, and unless I'm mistaken, a standalong PSP 2000 (without any bundled games, movies, or memory cards) is less than that. So...yeah.

Darkslash

Smash Master
I'm pretty certain the Japanese price point is around 180 USD, and unless I'm mistaken, a standalong PSP 2000 (without any bundled games, movies, or memory cards) is less than that. So...yeah.
But seeing the DSi comes with 2 camera's, 256mb internal memory(half of the Wii's of 512mb Nintendo sure does love the number 512) and if you buy before some time in 2010, 1000(10 bucks with out tax) Nintendo points, an web browser for free that costs 500 points on the wii that kinda give's reason for the $180 price tag

shadowtroop

Smash Ace
But seeing the DSi comes with 2 camera's, 256mb internal memory(half of the Wii's of 512mb Nintendo sure does love the number 512) and if you buy before some time in 2010, 1000(10 bucks with out tax) Nintendo points, an web browser for free that costs 500 points on the wii that kinda give's reason for the $180 price tag
64 (nintendo 64)
128 (SM128, cancelled)
256 (widely used memory storage space, not just ninty)
512 (see above)

rhan

Smash Hero
If these things can run flash players I'm so getting one. Portable Youtube FTW!

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Bump for why in the hell do people keep buying DS Lite when they can stop and make the DSi come faster. -_-;

Because of this, we might not get the DSi at spring, but much later. T_T

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Well, I have a GBA. So, you would think that I'd be fine with getting a DSi, and I would be. But, my GBA is pretty old, and I fear it my break in the future. So, I'd probaly have to buy a DS lite as well, gah. Oh no, and what about my Pokemon Gold? Ack, I'll just scrap that for a newer pokemon game, lets hope its just as good. :3 (I keep restarting Gold anyways)

karthik_king

Smash Ace
I don't exactly need it since I have a laptop for internet an Ipod for music a ds for the games and a gba sp for color and pocket games. and a camera with more than .3 megapixels 7.2 I think is mine

§leepy God

Smash Master
Some games have DLC like the new Warioware game that isn't out yet. But I don't think the DS Lite can do that, lol. The sad part of importing this is that you can't change the language or can able to browse through the US internet right.

(T_T)

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Well, I have a GBA. So, you would think that I'd be fine with getting a DSi, and I would be. But, my GBA is pretty old, and I fear it my break in the future. So, I'd probaly have to buy a DS lite as well, gah. Oh no, and what about my Pokemon Gold? Ack, I'll just scrap that for a newer pokemon game, lets hope its just as good. :3 (I keep restarting Gold anyways)
The GBA is incredibly durable. You would have to do something incredibly stupid to it to break it, like pitch it into a wall at high speed to break it. Or submerge it in water. Or something else incredibly stupid. So don't assume just because it's old that it's going to break.

Also, DO NOT settle for ANY new Pokemon game over G/S/C. I find them to get worse as they go on (making Red/Blue/Green/Yellow best and Diamond/Pearl/Platinum worst). G/S/C is only second in my opinion, but it's still awesome. While third generation certainly is great, and I wouldn't discourage you from getting it, NONE of the games have what G/S/C have, with two regions, and that's partially what makes it so great. You will not get that in third gen, and you won't get anything even close to that in fourth gen.
Don't scrap it at all, but definitely do not scrap it for a new Pokemon game.

If your GBA breaks, get another one. Or get a GBO/GBP/GBC, or a GBA SP. Don't just give up on old games because Nintendo is.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Also, DO NOT settle for ANY new Pokemon game over G/S/C. I find them to get worse as they go on (making Red/Blue/Green/Yellow best and Diamond/Pearl/Platinum worst). G/S/C is only second in my opinion, but it's still awesome. While third generation certainly is great, and I wouldn't discourage you from getting it, NONE of the games have what G/S/C have, with two regions, and that's partially what makes it so great. You will not get that in third gen, and you won't get anything even close to that in fourth gen.
Don't scrap it at all, but definitely do not scrap it for a new Pokemon game.
I find that people overhype the Kanto portion of G/S/C too much. It's just nostalgia; Kanto is barely anything in those games, and it just serves to make the quest a little longer. You can get a full version of Kanto in R/B/Y. There's almost nothing important that the new games don't have that the old games do. You're lucky your Gold Version still works, sumo, because mine doesn't anymore.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I find that people overhype the Kanto portion of G/S/C too much. It's just nostalgia; Kanto is barely anything in those games, and it just serves to make the quest a little longer. You can get a full version of Kanto in R/B/Y. There's almost nothing important that the new games don't have that the old games do. You're lucky your Gold Version still works, sumo, because mine doesn't anymore.
I'm not overhyping it; no matter how substantial Kanto is in those games, it's STILL more than any other game has. It's not simply nostalgia, I find it really does add something to the game. Instead of just about every other game where you beat the Elite Four, have a few sidequests, but ultimately are able to stop your Pokemon at level 50 or 60, you have something that inspires you to keep training your Pokemon up to level 80, or 90, or 100 -- it's not just to be able to say "I raised my Pokemon to level 100!"

You can get the full version of Kanto in R/B/Y? No ****. You can't get the full version, or any version at all, of Johto, though, in R/B/Y.

You may argue the old games have nothing important that the other games don't. But you can also argue that the old games are lacking something stupid, like idiotically dressed teams, NOSE Pokemon...etc. After the first 251, they should've just LEFT it. The first 151 were great. A few of them I don't like, but Mr. Mime and Jynx (too human-like for me), as well as a few other are excusable. Second gen was a little stale in a few departments, but overall creative and not stupid. Third gen? Spinda, Chimecho, Nosepass...urgh, just kind of stupid, if you ask me. Especially Nosepass. They actually had creative concepts in Pokemon like Kecleon and Castform, but the concepts haven't been used any more. Fourth gen is pretty much inexcusable through and through; including but not limited to: Combee, Spiritomb, Chatot, Magnezone, Lickilicky, Rhyperior, Tangrowth, Electivire, Magmortar, Togekiss, Leafeon, Glaceon, Porygon-Z, Probopass. And then just about all of the legendaries, minus Ground Form Shaymin. The Rotom forms top them all.

But I digress...the point is, the new Pokemon are beyond failures. Facepalms aren't even enough for them.

As for it not working, it's actually not all that hard to replace the internal battery. I did it myself, and I'm no technical expert, and my Gold Version, while working fine before, is working still.

If you want me to go on, I will...but I'll stop for now.

Even if you think something new is better than the old, you should not have to get rid of, forget, sacrifice the old for the new. This is why I'm so angry at Nintendo's new direction with handhelds; they seem to want to forget the Game Boy.

M.K

Level 55
R/B/Y and G/S/C were DEFINETLY the best, but if you want a more modern (and lengthier) challenge, try Diamond or Pearl.
Don't bother with 3rd Gen unless you are interested in a very LARGE region.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I'm not overhyping it; no matter how substantial Kanto is in those games, it's STILL more than any other game has. It's not simply nostalgia, I find it really does add something to the game. Instead of just about every other game where you beat the Elite Four, have a few sidequests, but ultimately are able to stop your Pokemon at level 50 or 60, you have something that inspires you to keep training your Pokemon up to level 80, or 90, or 100 -- it's not just to be able to say "I raised my Pokemon to level 100!"

You can get the full version of Kanto in R/B/Y? No ****. You can't get the full version, or any version at all, of Johto, though, in R/B/Y.

You may argue the old games have nothing important that the other games don't. But you can also argue that the old games are lacking something stupid, like idiotically dressed teams, NOSE Pokemon...etc. After the first 251, they should've just LEFT it. The first 151 were great. A few of them I don't like, but Mr. Mime and Jynx (too human-like for me), as well as a few other are excusable. Second gen was a little stale in a few departments, but overall creative and not stupid. Third gen? Spinda, Chimecho, Nosepass...urgh, just kind of stupid, if you ask me. Especially Nosepass. They actually had creative concepts in Pokemon like Kecleon and Castform, but the concepts haven't been used any more. Fourth gen is pretty much inexcusable through and through; including but not limited to: Combee, Spiritomb, Chatot, Magnezone, Lickilicky, Rhyperior, Tangrowth, Electivire, Magmortar, Togekiss, Leafeon, Glaceon, Porygon-Z, Probopass. And then just about all of the legendaries, minus Ground Form Shaymin. The Rotom forms top them all.

But I digress...the point is, the new Pokemon are beyond failures. Facepalms aren't even enough for them.
So the most important about Kanto is it provides you with more battles to level up your Pokemon? In Pokemon Diamond and Pearl, using the Vs. Seeker, you are able to battle a large amount of Trainers with high leveled Pokemon an infinite number of times.

Now, liking certain Pokemon is all just a matter of opinion, but I will say that there were many Pokemon that were not exactly the pinnacle of creativity (a common complaint I hear about Pokemon designs these days) in the first generation. Grimer to Muk. Magnemite to Magneton. Diglett to Dugtrio. You get the picture. The reason I bring up the fact that the old games are still there is because some people could care less about the new Pokemon. In that case, you have the option to not experience them at all. For those aspiring Trainers that want new challenges and experiences, they can look to the newer generations, while still having access to the older Pokemon. See, you don't have to abandon the old while being forced to absorb the new at all, if you so choose.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
So the most important about Kanto is it provides you with more battles to level up your Pokemon? In Pokemon Diamond and Pearl, using the Vs. Seeker, you are able to battle a large amount of Trainers with high leveled Pokemon an infinite number of times.
Not providing you with a WAY to level up, but a REASON. Sure, you can level up for the Battle Tower in D/P, fight your Rival, fight the Elite Four again, but there's no epic battle against someone with level 80 Pokemon at the end.
And even though Platinum will have higher levels of the Elite Four, there's still

Now, liking certain Pokemon is all just a matter of opinion, but I will say that there were many Pokemon that were not exactly the pinnacle of creativity (a common complaint I hear about Pokemon designs these days) in the first generation. Grimer to Muk. Magnemite to Magneton. Diglett to Dugtrio. You get the picture. The reason I bring up the fact that the old games are still there is because some people could care less about the new Pokemon. In that case, you have the option to not experience them at all. For those aspiring Trainers that want new challenges and experiences, they can look to the newer generations, while still having access to the older Pokemon.
Even disliking Pokemon aside, CLEARLY these days they're just adding Pokemon to add them. Because every generation they have that "100 new Pokemon!" in the advertisement to draw the little kids who care about that in. They've got an ever-increasing number of legendaries, and more come in each generation. That's to appeal to little kids who think that really powerful Pokemon are awesome and don't care about the rest of them that much. The fact that there are half-***ed Pokemon like Lickilicky and Nosepass just shows that they're running out of ideas.

The old games are still there...what's your point? People who don't mind new Pokemon get new games and anyone who dislikes the landfill of Pokemon we have now can just play the old games?
I may have misinterpreted what you said, but that's certainly what it sounds like to me.

See, you don't have to abandon the old while being forced to absorb the new at all, if you so choose.
Nintendo's moving in that direction, though. The Game Boys used to be completely compatible, but the Micro lost original and Color Game Boy functionality, and the DS Phat/Lite continued that. Now so we can have the DSiPhone, GBA functionality is gone too. As much as the DS is undeserving of the name "Game Boy", in my opinion, anyways, why did it not get named Game Boy? Apparently, they planned to keep the GBA running alongside. Look how well that turned out.
Face it. Nintendo is, for whatever reason, trying to forget the Game Boy era.

I don't have to abandon the old at all, and the day I do I will stop gaming. But Nintendo is already.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Not providing you with a WAY to level up, but a REASON. Sure, you can level up for the Battle Tower in D/P, fight your Rival, fight the Elite Four again, but there's no epic battle against someone with level 80 Pokemon at the end.
And even though Platinum will have higher levels of the Elite Four, there's still

Even disliking Pokemon aside, CLEARLY these days they're just adding Pokemon to add them. Because every generation they have that "100 new Pokemon!" in the advertisement to draw the little kids who care about that in. They've got an ever-increasing number of legendaries, and more come in each generation. That's to appeal to little kids who think that really powerful Pokemon are awesome and don't care about the rest of them that much. The fact that there are half-***ed Pokemon like Lickilicky and Nosepass just shows that they're running out of ideas.

The old games are still there...what's your point? People who don't mind new Pokemon get new games and anyone who dislikes the landfill of Pokemon we have now can just play the old games?
I may have misinterpreted what you said, but that's certainly what it sounds like to me.

Nintendo's moving in that direction, though. The Game Boys used to be completely compatible, but the Micro lost original and Color Game Boy functionality, and the DS Phat/Lite continued that. Now so we can have the DSiPhone, GBA functionality is gone too. As much as the DS is undeserving of the name "Game Boy", in my opinion, anyways, why did it not get named Game Boy? Apparently, they planned to keep the GBA running alongside. Look how well that turned out.
Face it. Nintendo is, for whatever reason, trying to forget the Game Boy era.

I don't have to abandon the old at all, and the day I do I will stop gaming. But Nintendo is already.
(You didn't finish your last sentence in the first paragraph?) Sure, there's one epic battle with some seriously high leveled Pokemon, but you can fight your Rival in D/P with even higher leveled Pokemon than Red. I know where you're coming from, though. There's an innate storyline going on in G/S/C due to the connections to the previous generation that hasn't been matched in any other, which is appealing. But that's it.

Um, yes. If they want new Pokemon games to continue to sell, there's needs to be new Pokemon. It's called "advertisement". Can you imagine what a bad rap they'd get if all Pokemon games just had the original 151 Pokemon? It's obvious that they need to create new Pokemon. A lot of people like the connections they make to previous generations through evolution (me!). Of course, design-wise, criticisms may differ. But don't bash Game Freak for doing what they need to do to keep the franchise going.

Yes, that's exactly what I mean about the old games. I'm glad you agree with me. Though you might add: people that want new Pokemon can look forward to the new games as well. Yes, people want new Pokemon.

Marketing, advertising, business, etc. When the masses appeal to a certain new product much more than an old one, they're not going to have a choice but to support the new one more. That's just the way it is; if you want to interpret that as "Nintendo trying to forget the Game Boy era", well, that's up to you. It's kind of hard to "forget" about something that important.

marthmaster59

Smash Journeyman
Looks great,but should not be the next gen handheld.
It is basicly the same thing as the GBASP.
probably won't have any DSi exclusives either.EI:Wil play like ds except for a few new concepts.

edit:but i can't wait for pokemon platinum english version

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
(You didn't finish your last sentence in the first paragraph?)
Argh, my bad.
And even though Platinum will have higher levels of the Elite Four, there's still no GOAL to reach. It's not nearly as epic to beat the Elite Four again as it is to go through an extremely difficult cave and then fight the original Pokemon Trainer.
Sure, there's one epic battle with some seriously high leveled Pokemon, but you can fight your Rival in D/P with even higher leveled Pokemon than Red. I know where you're coming from, though. There's an innate storyline going on in G/S/C due to the connections to the previous generation that hasn't been matched in any other, which is appealing. But that's it.
As I said in the sentence I just completed (or rather, sentences), it's not the same. It's just re-fighting the same person.

Um, yes. If they want new Pokemon games to continue to sell, there's needs to be new Pokemon. It's called "advertisement". Can you imagine what a bad rap they'd get if all Pokemon games just had the original 151 Pokemon? It's obvious that they need to create new Pokemon. A lot of people like the connections they make to previous generations through evolution (me!). Of course, design-wise, criticisms may differ. But don't bash Game Freak for doing what they need to do to keep the franchise going.
No, there do not NEED to be new Pokemon. If they actually offered new things to the game rather than "100 NEW POKEMON!", they'd be fine. That is a common misconception that all gaming companies seem to pick up; Sonic keeps getting new characters when, in fact, that appears to be killing him faster, as one example. Even so, they do not need to add 100 new Pokemon to each generation. If they added ten or fifteen, they might be able to maintain creativity and still offer something new.
But again, they do not need this. I could probably find a large number of people who are extremely pissed at Game Freak for adding so many Pokemon. In fact, most of the people I know are.

Yes, that's exactly what I mean about the old games. I'm glad you agree with me. Though you might add: people that want new Pokemon can look forward to the new games as well. Yes, people want new Pokemon.
No, I actually disagree with you (Although that may have been sarcasm (I suck at picking that up), either way I disagree with you). I will always end up sticking to old games for the most part anyways; but the mindset that people who dislike what companies are doing to the franchise can just suck it? Yeah, speaking of business, that's great for it. That's the whole new attitude; the casual gamers will buy the stuff so they get catered to. Core gamers want more, and Nintendo doesn't feel like giving them much, so they're told to "keep playing Mario Kart, keep playing Smash Bros". Keep playing all of the old games. Screw those geeks and otaku, mirite?

No.

And people do want new Pokemon. But that population is a very small number of gamers like you, and mostly made up of little kids. Most big fans of the franchise hate the new Pokemon. Just go to the Poke Center.

Marketing, advertising, business, etc. When the masses appeal to a certain new product much more than an old one, they're not going to have a choice but to support the new one more. That's just the way it is; if you want to interpret that as "Nintendo trying to forget the Game Boy era", well, that's up to you. It's kind of hard to "forget" about something that important.
Or they could have a little dignity and respect for themselves and not make their own version of the iPhone.

Obviously they're not actually forgetting it, but they're basically just shoving it into the past. The Game Boy is left to retro gaming, because they're not even giving it backwards compatibility anymore. By forgetting, I meant putting it in the past.

Honestly, I understand catering to the new gamers because they print money from them, blah blah blah. I understand the positive ramifications of that and that it's much more beneficial to kick core gamers to the curb. But I'm still pissed that after years of loyalty to them, defending them throughout the entire Gamecube era and supporting them, they decided I'm just a geek, I can keep playing old games, and they won't make as much money for them so I'm not an important customer.

That's why I bought an Xbox 360.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
(Regarding the Rival vs. Red: Your Rival's Pokemon levels increasing with your own could qualify as inspiring you towards a goal.)

Pokemon is one of Nintendo's few franchises that isn't getting easier for casual gamers, in my opinion. On the surface, it looks like it hasn't changed outside of adding new Pokemon, but the battle system has become much deeper, among other things. At least you're not one of the people whining about how Pokemon should become an online MMORPG (talk about abandoning handhelds).

They do need to offer new Pokemon. The franchise would be dead now, 10 years after the first games, if there were no new Pokemon. You can't compare Pokemon to Sonic when having a large variety of different characters is essential to the franchise itself. Also, how can you discriminate against the last two generations for adding more new Pokemon and not include the second generation for adding new Pokemon? Oh yeah, Kanto.

Also, I had no idea that the largest number of Pokemon fans exist in the Poke Center of this message board. They must be representative of the millions of Pokemon fans all over the world. These people, with their waning support of Game Freak, are surely the ones that buy the new games by the millions. (this is sarcasm)

Nintendo's attitude has not changed regarding creating new hardware; the players' has. Players seem to be much more opposed to new things than ever before, for one reason or another.

NES. SNES. N64. GCN. Wii.

Whoa whoa whoa! Stop right there. Stop making new things, we're finally going to start complaining about lack of backwards compatibility. No more new things, the old things were better anyway.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
(Regarding the Rival vs. Red: Your Rival's Pokemon levels increasing with your own could qualify as inspiring you towards a goal.)
And just like I said with the Elite Four, it's just fighting the same person over again. It's not enough of a goal (not to mention you can keep fighting them -- it's not a showdown, it's basically extra training).

Pokemon is one of Nintendo's few franchises that isn't getting easier for casual gamers, in my opinion. On the surface, it looks like it hasn't changed outside of adding new Pokemon, but the battle system has become much deeper, among other things. At least you're not one of the people whining about how Pokemon should become an online MMORPG (talk about abandoning handhelds).
The battle system has improved, I'm not denying that. But let's not pretend that the 12 legendaries in fourth gen are for the core gamers. Those are for the 5-year-olds who like big, powerful things.

They do need to offer new Pokemon. The franchise would be dead now, 10 years after the first games, if there were no new Pokemon. You can't compare Pokemon to Sonic when having a large variety of different characters is essential to the franchise itself.
I'd say 151 characters is a large variety.

In any case, I can compare Sonic to Pokemon. Because if Pokemon would die if they didn't have 100 new characters every generation, why wouldn't Sonic die if they didn't have one new character every game? Because it's about quality, not quantity. Video game developers are forgetting that these days and throwing in a bunch of crap thinking it'll make the game better. Unfortunately, some of their customers believe they're right in shoving in a bunch of crap.

Also, how can you discriminate against the last two generations for adding more new Pokemon and not include the second generation for adding new Pokemon? Oh yeah, Kanto.
Gotta love it when people go into a debate and then assume that you're nostalgic and then act like you're a moron because of the aforementioned assumption.

News flash: KANTO HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE POKEMON. IT HAS TO DO WITH THE GAME IN AND OF ITSELF.
I'm not discriminating against second gen's new Pokemon because I felt they were fresh, not beating a dead horse, and not noses or something along that line. Would you rather have me be like my friend and hate anything that's not first generation on principle? THERE'S your nostalgia.

Also, I had no idea that the largest number of Pokemon fans exist in the Poke Center of this message board. They must be representative of the millions of Pokemon fans all over the world. These people, with their waning support of Game Freak, are surely the ones that buy the new games by the millions. (this is sarcasm)
No ****. My point was, the largest number of Pokemon fans on this forum is in the Poke Center, and most of them happen to agree with me. What am I supposed to tell you to do, organize a Pokemon rally to see how many people agree/disagree with you? No. I give a tangible example.

Nintendo's attitude has not changed regarding creating new hardware; the players' has. Players seem to be much more opposed to new things than ever before, for one reason or another.
That's not true. Nintendo's attitude has COMPLETELY changed. Look at the older systems...and then look at the Wii and DS. What DEFINES the Wii is motion sensor control. The SNES wasn't defined by its controls, or a smaller cartridge, or the peripherals for it; it was defined by the awesome games like Super Mario World, Super Metroid, A Link to the Past, etc. That's true for nearly ALL of the old Nintendo systems (I say nearly because the Virtual Boy springs to mind). This generation, the Wii is defined by motion sensor control and the DS is defined by two screens, one of which is a touch screen.

NES. SNES. N64. GCN. Wii.
What...?

Whoa whoa whoa! Stop right there. Stop making new things, we're finally going to start complaining about lack of backwards compatibility. No more new things, the old things were better anyway.
Finally complaining about the lack of backwards compatibility? Did you sleep through the past ten years or so? Unless I'm mistaken, haven't the Game Boys always had backwards compatibility? Yeah, I'm pretty sure they have. Until now, anyways.

Also, I never said to stop making new things. Again, way to make assumptions and call me an idiot based on assumptions. While I do prefer retro gaming to new gaming, especially in Nintendo's department, I never told them to stop making new things. I just think it's absolutely idiotic that they got rid of the GBA slot for two things I don't think anyone needs. In fact, if they hadn't added those things and gotten rid of the GBA slot, I would actually consider buying this. But I haven't even played my DS recently because I have a GBA SP now (for the backlight...er, well, it's technically a frontlight, but that's of no consequence). It's not worth it to me to spend nearly $200 on something with two features I don't need and lacking one feature that I actually used.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
And just like I said with the Elite Four, it's just fighting the same person over again. It's not enough of a goal (not to mention you can keep fighting them -- it's not a showdown, it's basically extra training).
I can't even remember what the point of this part of the debate was. We'll leave it alone for now.

The battle system has improved, I'm not denying that. But let's not pretend that the 12 legendaries in fourth gen are for the core gamers. Those are for the 5-year-olds who like big, powerful things.
I like some of those legendaries, and I'm not 5. *shrug* Wait, so are all legendaries for little kids?

I'd say 151 characters is a large variety.
K, but 491 is bigger, regardless of which ones you do/don't like

In any case, I can compare Sonic to Pokemon. Because if Pokemon would die if they didn't have 100 new characters every generation, why wouldn't Sonic die if they didn't have one new character every game? Because it's about quality, not quantity. Video game developers are forgetting that these days and throwing in a bunch of crap thinking it'll make the game better. Unfortunately, some of their customers believe they're right in shoving in a bunch of crap.
The Sonic and Pokemon franchises are nothing alike. Sonic is a platforming game. Pokemon is a turn-based RPG where the goal is make up your own combination of ~6 characters out of a large variety. Once again, the quality is opinion-based, so let's not get into that.

Gotta love it when people go into a debate and then assume that you're nostalgic and then act like you're a moron because of the aforementioned assumption.
You're right, I shouldn't have thrown that in there.

News flash: KANTO HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE POKEMON. IT HAS TO DO WITH THE GAME IN AND OF ITSELF.
I'm not discriminating against second gen's new Pokemon because I felt they were fresh, not beating a dead horse, and not noses or something along that line. Would you rather have me be like my friend and hate anything that's not first generation on principle? THERE'S your nostalgia.
Ok, that's a good enough reason, though nothing you can't apply to every other generation afterwards.

No ****. My point was, the largest number of Pokemon fans on this forum is in the Poke Center, and most of them happen to agree with me. What am I supposed to tell you to do, organize a Pokemon rally to see how many people agree/disagree with you? No. I give a tangible example.
Most big fans of the franchise hate the new Pokemon. Just go to the Poke Center.
Ok, good, because I thought you meant that the Poke Center is representative of all the biggest fans of the franchise.

That's not true. Nintendo's attitude has COMPLETELY changed. Look at the older systems...and then look at the Wii and DS. What DEFINES the Wii is motion sensor control. The SNES wasn't defined by its controls, or a smaller cartridge, or the peripherals for it; it was defined by the awesome games like Super Mario World, Super Metroid, A Link to the Past, etc. That's true for nearly ALL of the old Nintendo systems (I say nearly because the Virtual Boy springs to mind). This generation, the Wii is defined by motion sensor control and the DS is defined by two screens, one of which is a touch screen.
Sure.

It was a lead-in to the next paragraph.

Finally complaining about the lack of backwards compatibility? Did you sleep through the past ten years or so? Unless I'm mistaken, haven't the Game Boys always had backwards compatibility? Yeah, I'm pretty sure they have. Until now, anyways.
You're right. I'm not exactly sure what I was thinking about there. :psycho:

Also, I never said to stop making new things. Again, way to make assumptions and call me an idiot based on assumptions. While I do prefer retro gaming to new gaming, especially in Nintendo's department, I never told them to stop making new things. I just think it's absolutely idiotic that they got rid of the GBA slot for two things I don't think anyone needs. In fact, if they hadn't added those things and gotten rid of the GBA slot, I would actually consider buying this. But I haven't even played my DS recently because I have a GBA SP now (for the backlight...er, well, it's technically a frontlight, but that's of no consequence). It's not worth it to me to spend nearly $200 on something with two features I don't need and lacking one feature that I actually used.
I'm not calling you an idiot. No one knows if the DSi will become mainstream yet (the Game Boy Micro didn't). There's a lot of stuff that you might not need when it comes to gaming (new games included, if you're perfectly content with old games). And call me dumb for not remembering, but what does the DSi have besides the two cameras and a bigger screen? Would you actually spend $200 for what's left?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I can't even remember what the point of this part of the debate was. We'll leave it alone for now.
That's good with me.

I like some of those legendaries, and I'm not 5. *shrug* Wait, so are all legendaries for little kids?
No, of course not. I love Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-Oh, and others. But 12 of them in one generation? The number of them is for the five-year-olds.
It wasn't meant as an insult to you, just generally that's how kids are.

K, but 491 is bigger, regardless of which ones you do/don't like
You mean 493, including event legendaries.
Anyways, that's true. But even though it's relatively less important in a game such as Pokemon, let's go back to the Sonic analogy (even though I know you don't like it). You may love Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, whatever, but you may absolutely hate Silver, or Blaze, or maybe you hate Tails. If you hate Silver, it seriously affects your decision whether or not to get Sonic '06, because he's a big part. If you pretty much hate fourth generation as a whole, like I do, doesn't that affect your experience of a game? It's hard to just ignore characters.

The Sonic and Pokemon franchises are nothing alike. Sonic is a platforming game. Pokemon is a turn-based RPG where the goal is make up your own combination of ~6 characters out of a large variety. Once again, the quality is opinion-based, so let's not get into that.
Well, in Dark Brotherhood, you come up with a party of Sonic characters. 4, I believe.

I see your point in genres...I disagree, but it's hard to argue with that.
Either way, I really wish they would increase the number by LESS next time. And maybe try to diversify the types next time? We're getting a tiny amount of fire Pokemon and a metric ton of water Pokemon, and it's really gotten quite annoying. If they really HAVE to add more, they really should add FEWER each time so that they don't run out of ideas. Even halving the amount would be a great start.

Ok, that's a good enough reason, though nothing you can't apply to every other generation afterwards.
I disagree. Third gen felt a little bit fresh, but it had a fair number of stupid Pokemon, including one of my least favorites of all time, Nosepass. And it really did beat a lot of dead horses. Absol almost looks like an Eeveelution, but not at the same time. It had Wurmple's whole line, but we basically had that with Caterpie and Weedle's lines. Why Seviper, when we have Ekans and Arbok? Gulpin and Swalot are reminiscent of Grimer and Muk, Plusle and Minun might as well be discolored Pichus, Duskull and Dusclops are both reminiscent of previous Pokemon...etc. Third gen had some gems, like Kecleon, Castform, and Tropius, but it had a lot of repeats.

Fourth gen...do I even need to go into this? Chimchar is like Torchic except a monkey, Starly's line is just regurgitation of other birds, Combee is a FLYING HONEYCOMB, Glameow and Purugly are unneeded since we already have two non-stupid-looking cats, Spiritomb is...what IS it? Finneon and Lumineon are yet MORE fish. Then you've got a metric ton of evolutions (most of which took all of the awesomeness of previously top of the evolution chain Pokemon like Electabuzz and Magmar), an uncreative legendary trio, two Pokemon supposedly representing Space and Time that have nothing to do with the two, a generic firey Pokemon that really should've been a regular Pokemon, a Regi continuation that looks like a robot that was left in the jungle, yet is normal type, a centipede-esque ghastly dragon, something made out of crescents, Manaphy and Phione, which are both uncreative (especially Phione), a ghost-looking thing that's actually dark type, an actually creative Pokemon (Shaymin) who has a form that looks like a rejected Eeveelution, and a robot goat ballerina.
Plus a bunch of appliance forms of Rotom.

There, applied.

Ok, good, because I thought you meant that the Poke Center is representative of all the biggest fans of the franchise.
Hm, I guess it came off more like that than I meant. Sorry. I just meant that a lot of people hate it, and as an example you can look at the Poke Center.

It was a lead-in to the next paragraph.
Ah. I couldn't really tell which paragraph it was supposed to go to.

I'm not calling you an idiot.
Well, I guess I meant metaphorically or something? I dunno. Whatever.

No one knows if the DSi will become mainstream yet (the Game Boy Micro didn't). There's a lot of stuff that you might not need when it comes to gaming (new games included, if you're perfectly content with old games).
Yes, but at least if they strip it down to the basics, you don't have to waste money on something you don't need. Like, I'm sure they could chop off a good portion of the PS3's price if they just cut off the Blu-Ray. What if I don't care for a Blu-Ray? I may not need the PS3 anyways, but it's not viable for me to spend extra money on something I don't want. Which is why I don't understand the scramble for a DVD player in consoles. They can offer it as an extra, maybe. But I shouldn't have to pay extra if all I want is the ability to play games for that console.

And call me dumb for not remembering, but what does the DSi have besides the two cameras and a bigger screen? Would you actually spend $200 for what's left?
Well, if they chopped those off, it probably wouldn't be the full $200 anymore. But there may be new games for the DSi that are unplayable on the Phat and Lite. It has a built-in internet. It will have something reminiscent of the Wii Shop Channel, but for DS. And on top of it, my DS is a little scratched and not in perfect condition, so I might've wanted a new DS, which would lead me to the DSi once it's out, unless I go for a Lite instead.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
There were a lot of legendaries, yeah, but I personally like the extra quests required to go out and get them :p. Did you actually play the 4th gen game(s)? Just wondering, because it'd be kinda hard to know you hate something overall without actually experiencing it. And if you hadn't experienced it yet and still hate it, well, all the more reason to ignore it completely (though that's a little bizarre).

Sinnoh's meant to be a colder region, but meh. Hoenn did have some Pokemon that seemed like repeats of previous Pokemon, but at least for the most part you didn't have to encounter both evolutionary lines in the same game. I guess you could attribute it to the fact that the region is supposed to be separate from Kanto/Johto, so Pokemon developed differently, meh.

Also, all the non-negative things you said to describe some of the new Pokemon could be used as reasons to like them. So yeah, it's however you want to look at it.

*I guess that's it for the Pokemon argument*

As for the DSi, it seems like you don't want/need any of those new features, so I'd wait and see if Nintendo decides to go completely mainstream with it and abandon the Lite before I start ranting. I can see them just making it an alternative, but maybe that's just me being my uninformed self. THEY'RE AFTER YOUR MONEY

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
There were a lot of legendaries, yeah, but I personally like the extra quests required to go out and get them :p. Did you actually play the 4th gen game(s)? Just wondering, because it'd be kinda hard to know you hate something overall without actually experiencing it. And if you hadn't experienced it yet and still hate it, well, all the more reason to ignore it completely (though that's a little bizarre).
The side quests were okay, I suppose. I found most of them to be kind of annoying, though. Cresselia and Mesprit were a piece of cake with the Poketch, albeit a little annoying. Heatran was way too long and really annoying, if you ask me. Regigigas was okay...but not really that great. I can see where you're coming from, though.

In any case, yes, I own both Diamond and Pearl and have played both of them quite a bit. I've completed my entire Pokedex in Diamond, and beaten Pearl once normally, once using only Shaymin, and I started another one with only Jigglypuff which I haven't finished yet.
Either way, for the Pokemon themselves, I work with sprites so I don't need to play the games to frequently see the Pokemon and realize how stupid they are.

Sinnoh's meant to be a colder region, but meh.
That's not why, though...even tracing back to first and second gen, fire types are lacking. Especially second. It's because they're not as easy to come up with, most likely, and because water types are easier to come up with.

Hoenn did have some Pokemon that seemed like repeats of previous Pokemon, but at least for the most part you didn't have to encounter both evolutionary lines in the same game. I guess you could attribute it to the fact that the region is supposed to be separate from Kanto/Johto, so Pokemon developed differently, meh.
Well, I'm looking at it from less of a game perspective and more of an overall perspective of all 493 Pokemon.

Also, all the non-negative things you said to describe some of the new Pokemon could be used as reasons to like them. So yeah, it's however you want to look at it.

*I guess that's it for the Pokemon argument*
True.

As for the DSi, it seems like you don't want/need any of those new features, so I'd wait and see if Nintendo decides to go completely mainstream with it and abandon the Lite before I start ranting. I can see them just making it an alternative, but maybe that's just me being my uninformed self. THEY'RE AFTER YOUR MONEY
Well, considering the reception it's gotten thus far from people here, it doesn't seem people are sharing my opinion on this. If even core gamers aren't sharing my opinion, I can't see casual gamers doing so, and they're the bulk of Nintendo's market.
Even if it flops terribly, I'm ranting about the idea of it, really. Either way, Nintendo made it.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Fourth gen pokemon are absolute failures. Not to mention the Sinnoh world map was a major downgrade from Hoenn.

On-topic though, I was at a tourney today and a guy had an imported DSi that he was showing off. It looked absolutely awesome, and the camera was very nice. You could do some stuff with it like put a frame of Mario's hat and mustache and take a picture of somebody's face under it.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Is it...safe to come out now? That was a fairly awesome debate for a while there. Fun stuff.

ANYWAY

@Skyler: So...basically like the Game Boy Camera, then? That's...awesome. I freaking loved that thing. I'd die and go to heaven if Ninty released another DS Zelda with a souvenir photo element a la Link's Awakening DX.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Fourth gen pokemon are absolute failures. Not to mention the Sinnoh world map was a major downgrade from Hoenn.

On-topic though, I was at a tourney today and a guy had an imported DSi that he was showing off. It looked absolutely awesome, and the camera was very nice. You could do some stuff with it like put a frame of Mario's hat and mustache and take a picture of somebody's face under it.
Fighting...urge...to...DEBATE

That sounds fun! Any other fun non-game features?

Top Bottom