• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo DSi

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I find it stupid that they replace the GBA slot for a camera.
Think how many ways it is to play a GBA game, theres a lot of ways to play it, you could still have your DS, GBA/SP/Micro, and a Gameboy Player. Plus GBA is basicly dead now, so there is no need for the GBA slot anymore since the GBA game's many people own is already beaten over a hundered times.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way

They replaced it with..

two cameras, an SD card slot, online, Dsiware, and a built in internet browser.

..a pretty good deal if you ask me.

Think how many ways it is to play a GBA game, theres a lot of ways to play it, you could still have your DS, GBA/SP/Micro, and a Gameboy Player. Plus GBA is basicly dead now, so there is no need for the GBA slot anymore since the GBA game's many people own is already beaten over a hundered times.

Agreed. There are a lot of ways to play it and you can still take your DS (in my case that will go to my brother since he got it for his birthday).

Thought, the GBA hasn't really died though. I just see this as a chance to get a lot of GBA games for very cheap prices (I can get used GBA games, good ones at that, for $6.99 and get them new for $9.99).

Though I agree that the GBA isn't nearly as strong as it was a few years back.

-:bowser:Bowser King

RyuKen!

Smash Apprentice

They replaced it with..

Agreed. There are a lot of ways to play it and you can still take your DS (in my case that will go to my brother since he got it for his birthday).

Thought, the GBA hasn't really died though. I just see this as a chance to get a lot of GBA games for very cheap prices (I can get used GBA games, good ones at that, for $6.99 and get them new for $9.99).

Though I agree that the GBA isn't nearly as strong as it was a few years back.

Yeah a mate told me that it was only a camera added and that they took out the gba slot, then what you said it is some way better. Thats the last time i,m listening to my mate.:laugh:

Darkslash

Smash Master
For any one lazy to click BK's link

Why can't Nintendo release Neutral Gender colors at launch for once..

EDIT: If GBA game's go on DSi service we can possibly play Japan GBA exclusive games *cough*

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
For any one lazy to click BK's link

Why can't Nintendo release Neutral Gender colors at launch for once..

EDIT: If GBA game's go on DSi service we can possibly play Japan GBA exclusive games *cough*
I want a platinum special DSi NAO!

Kinda like the D/P but with the whole trio/giratina on the cover.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Yes.

Okay, by that logic you've got TONS of ways to access the internet -- cell phone, iPod Touch, computer, game consoles, the PSP. You've got many ways to take pictures -- camera, cell phone, webcam. You've got tons of ways to listen to music -- cell phone, computers, MP3 players, game consoles, CDs, tapes, records, radio, and hearing it live. As for the DSiware, we've already got that on the Wii. I know people are speculating that we'll get old handheld games on it, and that's not entirely unreasonable...however, don't count on it.

Also. The SNES is "dead" now, too. I guess there's no need for functionality on the VC for it, huh?
No. If a game is good enough, it doesn't matter how outdated it is. I've beaten Metroid Fusion 27 times, true. Doesn't mean I'm not raring to go for a 28th run. I just recently started replaying Pokemon Sapphire.

Finally, you fail to realize that the GBA slot is not ONLY for GBA games. Guitar Hero uses it to play the game. Some games use a rumble pack. Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum cannot get Pokemon from the GBA games without a GBA slot. It's not just getting rid of backwards compatibility, although I still argue that that is a major problem.

They replaced it with..

The GBA is possibly my favorite handheld, so I highly disagree. Also, don't play up the "two cameras". One is .3 megapixel. The other one is decent, but that one is hardly useful.

Also, online was already in there. The DS Lite and DS Phat both had online functionality and both had a GBA slot.

If GBA game's go on DSi service we can possibly play Japan GBA exclusive games *cough*
I wouldn't count on that. Everyone's clamoring for Mother 3, but A) Nintendo's stupid, and B) Nintendo does not care enough about the hardcore to put out such a controversial game for them. I've heard enough about Mother 3 to know that it would be quite controversial in the west, and Nintendo would make a daring move in putting it here to gather such a controversy. They could possibly lose casual customers to it if they're offended enough.

Your best chance of playing Mother 3 on the DSi is by use of a ROM via the SD card slot. Which is a rather high chance, since I don't get the impression it'll be that hard to get Homebrew on there.

I love my DS Phat and intend to keep it. I'm only buying the DSi if VC games can be played on it by porting them straight from the Wii without paying for games twice. Two words: Super Metroid.

§leepy God

Smash Master
Oh yea, I forgot about Guitar Hero and Pokemon Diamond/Pearl, (I'm not sure about Platnum), errm.... how would they make that work, lol.

I guess you have to own a Action Replay for the DS to get every Pokemon now if you only own the DSi. XD

Darkslash

Smash Master
I'll be honest with you this DSi is for the people who are more to the artistic side of gaming (I.E Spire) there's an App that can make animations for example. And then one of my most anticipated app's will be "Made in Ore" where you can make your own micro game with your own sprites and music.

Pretty much if your good, you can get pass the set example.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
DYI Warioware? Sweeeeet

Also. The SNES is "dead" now, too. I guess there's no need for functionality on the VC for it, huh?
A better comparison would be "The SNES is dead so there's no need for a cartridge slot for it in the Gamecube.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I'll be honest with you this DSi is for the people who are more to the artistic side of gaming (I.E Spire) there's an App that can make animations for example. And then one of my most anticipated app's will be "Made in Ore" where you can make your own micro game with your own sprites and music.

Was that comment directed towards me...? Because if so, then that would technically apply to me as well...you know, The Custom Pokemon Shop and all.

It seems interesting enough, but it seems kind of useless. I mean, I could do the same thing on my computer and probably better, and would have more access to it unless the file type on the DSi is supported by PCs. It's one of those "Oh cool" features that you think is so awesome until you actually get access to it and then it turns out to be sorta meh, and you touch it once every blue moon, if that often.

The "create your own microgame" thing is definitely interesting. Not going to sell the DSi for me, though. I sort of have a feeling it might be another "Oh cool" feature, although probably more exciting and something you'll use more.

A better comparison would be "The SNES is dead so there's no need for a cartridge slot for it in the Gamecube.
Yeah, you're right.

Alzi

Smash Master
This is coming out April 2nd in Australia and it will sell for $299.00 for those who didn't know.

Ange

Smash Lord
I might add that the European release for the DSi is April 3rd. There is no money information however. /:

I'll sure enjoy playing Pokemon Platinum on this when it comes out one month later, along with Mario & Luigi RPG 3.

UncleSam

Smash Master
http://kotaku.com/5155614/nintendo-dsi-dated-for-united-states-new-color-announced?skyline=true&s=x

Release date for US and new colour.

That and sakurai is working on a new game.

lol the release date changed... again, well I wont tell my friends about it, buy it the day it comes out and see the looks on their faces, then I'll take a picture of it with my new DSi!
I don't think the camera is a bad Idea, it's not like I'm going to carry my digital camera everywhere to catch those "picture perfect" moments and since I carry my DS in my backpack that solves the problem

Spire

III
BRoomer

I completely forgot about the DSi - completely. Seeing as how I never play the DS (although I should), I don't know if I'd be willing to pick this up. Although "Made in Ore" looks promising.

Thanks for the reference, Darkslash ;) You know me.

Lovely

Smash Lord
The Blue color should had look better, that or they should had kept the white DSi. Also the best DS Ware IMO is Chotto Panel de Pon, it has the same play style as Planet Puzzle League, (or Panel De Pon DS), but it's a DSi Ware. ♥

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
The Blue color should had look better, that or they should had kept the white DSi. Also the best DS Ware IMO is Chotto Panel de Pon, it has the same play style as Planet Puzzle League, (or Panel De Pon DS), but it's a DSi Ware. ♥
How dare you mock the blue color, I like it myself and will get it. (T_T)d

But I didn't know about Chotto Panel De Pon though, hopefully it come's out in the US, though it's going to be name'd Puzzle Leauge or somthing. =/

derek.haines

Smash Ace
Having just purchased a PSP recently, I can't help but admit that purchasing a DSi will be put on the backburner for a while. If any exclusive games start launching that seem like they're worth a look, though, I'll probably be pretty quick to snatch one. A black one, it's pretty sweet looking.

D

Deleted member

Never getting that thing. My cell phone camera is 4x better, and I already own various music playing devices.

Well, I guess I'll get it if a killer exclusive comes out (unlikely).

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Your avatar just reminded me...

They better not make a Phoenix Wright exclusive for DSi or I'll kill them.

D

Deleted member

I would be omega pissed that I would have to buy that trash.

D

Deleted member

True, true, DSi Ware may not be half bad. The Browser is lookin iffy though.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Better than the old DS opera browser

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wrzV1zsBSOA&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wrzV1zsBSOA&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Wow, the DSi Browser just powns the DS/Lite's in so many levels from the look of that video. O_o

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I would be omega pissed that I would have to buy that trash.
As would I.

Funny, the DSI Ware along with the built in DS Browser isn't somthing to be pissed off about. The DSI isn't all about photo's and music you know.
Until I see some news on what DSiWare will have, I'm not getting my hopes up. If it's a VC but with GB games, it's not worth it for me at all. If it has regular VC games on there (which I doubt it will), and you can port games from Wii to DSi, then it would definitely be worth looking into. If it's just a portable WiiWare...I'll probably pass. The only WiiWare game I've heard of so far that I want is Cave Story, and possibly Mega Man 9.

The browser is a slight plus for most, but not a plus for me. I have an iPod Touch, so I really do not need it.

Unless the DSiWare turns out to be decent (i.e. have the ability to put Wii VC games on it), then it might be worth it. Otherwise, a waste. I have a DS Phat which is quite sufficient for the job of playing DS games, and it can actually play GBA games. If the DSi can play GBA games, you're going to have to rebuy them off of the DSiWare, which is absolutely a ripoff. I don't need to waste $200 on something so I can waste more money.

Lovely

Smash Lord
I don't think the DSi downloads GB games, just DSi Ware games right now. ♥

But I didn't know about Chotto Panel De Pon though, hopefully it come's out in the US, though it's going to be name'd Puzzle Leauge or somthing. =/

I forgot to tell you, there's also a Chotto Dr. Mario as well. I know how much you like puzzle games and you'll enjoy it. ♥

I wish it came in white, it says only blue and black
That would be unfair because there would be more colors than the other region. But I'll say this again, the Blue one should had been made better. ♥

I'll say over all, the DSI isn't a "must have" because if you own a DS Lite and glad of it, then you should wait to get one unless you want to play a DS with out a GBA slot, lol. If you don't play the GBA slots, then you should get it, if you like better lighting and battery power get it, and if you like most of the feature that includes downloads then of course get it. ♥

Ange

Smash Lord
DSi Browser: YOU'RE TOO SLOW!

The DS/Lite Browser sure got owned, wow.

I like the fact that there is a blue lamp on the DSi, rather than just green/orange.

I hope it gets released in white in Europe or something, but black looks kinda cool tho. :/

UncleSam

Smash Master
massive damage, It's also nice how the DSi browser has a zoom in on the top screen and it can be flipped

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I forgot to tell you, there's also a Chotto Dr. Mario as well. I know how much you like puzzle games and you'll enjoy it. ♥
This I am aware of. Of course since I'm a fan of Dr. Mario I will get it when it come's out on DSi in the US, (hopfully).

About the color... am I the only one that want's the blue one, it seems like it where ever I go, lol.

Top Bottom