• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo DSi

~Zack~

Smash Journeyman
i plan on getting the DSi
i hope it doesn't mess up as easily as ds lite though
i never once dropped my ds lite and the touch screen isnt responding right anymore.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
The US blue looks downright awful but the Japanese Blue DSi looks great. I want that shade of blue not the light blue that we are getting. I really hope that DSiware support is good. I think I have read a few things about companies working on DSi exclusives. I really hope that they do Virtual Console with the DSi as well.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974

new japanese colours
So they're going the route of extremes of pastels and darks for the colors of the DSi?

Those are quite ugly, in my opinion. The blue's okay, but something seems off with it...

The light blue is too bright. The black is the only good one so far.

As for the durability of the DSi vs. the others, I don't know how the DSi will be obviously, but I've had my Phat since the year it came out and aside from being a little dirty and having a few scratches on the touch screen, it's in perfect condition. I've dropped it a few times, too. I don't understand how my friends have broken their hinges, although I'm aware other people are in the same situation.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I see no reason to upgrade until the next generation of pokemon comes out on a platform that is incompatible with current hardware.

EDIT: Although the DSipod seems kinda cool.

Lovely

Smash Lord
Aw, I want to buy the Magenta color since that's one of my favroite colors. D: ♥

Oh well, so far I'm enjoying my current DSi and haven't played much of a game console since I got it. ♥

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Everyone is bad mouthing the light blue one... I guess I'll try to get the black one. Anyways, I want to know how many DSi Ware games currently out but catches a lot of people's eye.

godofrock72

Smash Cadet
I've heard that the DSi was unable to play GBA games. Is that true?

Anyways, I hope this knocks the DS Lite value down like the Wii did to the GameCube. I don't really need a camera, internet browser, or a "DSi shop."

Galahad

Smash Rookie
you know, i have everything the dsi offers already, but i'm so much of a consumer ***** i'll buy it anyway

§leepy God

Smash Master
you know, i have everything the dsi offers already, but i'm so much of a consumer ***** i'll buy it anyway
You have everything two?! Well, I'm getting this because I need another DS anyways, and why bother getting a DSi when I rarely play my GBA games anyways, lol.

hectichobo

Smash Ace
I don't have a DS, my iPod is almost full, and my camera is half broken.... I'm getting this thing... How much?

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I've heard that the DSi was unable to play GBA games. Is that true?

Anyways, I hope this knocks the DS Lite value down like the Wii did to the GameCube. I don't really need a camera, internet browser, or a "DSi shop."
I think the first post already explaned most of the stuff you said, I wonder how they are going to fix some DS games that need it along with the rumble pack, (if it's not build in). But mostly, the DSi will knock down the price because it's a newer system.

I'm getting this because I need another DS anyways, and why bother getting a DSi when I rarely play my GBA games anyways, lol.
I think you need to fix that last part of your post, it's basicly saying that you don't want the DSi, but you do at the same time... but I get what your saying. You don't play your GBA games anymore, so it doesn't hurt you at all.

I don't have a DS, my iPod is almost full, and my camera is half broken.... I'm getting this thing... How much?
So far, it looks like it's going to be either $170 or $180.

Darkslash

Smash Master
The Canadian price is just ridiculous. $199 CND. ****ing economy. Ohh well might need to get a job, but I might get laid off.

Any ways Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days DSi looks like some 8 year old did it.

If Nintendo and Bandai do another Colab, I hope to God that the Camera is a Zaku Eye.

EDIT: Here's a product of the Big N and the Bandai colab.

There's also a GC Char custom as well.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Well, the DSi is out, and I must say, I like playing my DS game's on the DSi better than my DS Phat. The back light is so bright compare to the DS Phat... maybe I haven't played on a DS Lite to tell if it's the brightest or not, lol.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Well, the DSi is out, and I must say, I like playing my DS game's on the DSi better than my DS Phat. The back light is so bright compare to the DS Phat... maybe I haven't played on a DS Lite to tell if it's the brightest or not, lol.
Did you get it? I'm like 30 bucks short. I tried it and it was fun, before I popped in the game.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Did you get it? I'm like 30 bucks short. I tried it and it was fun, before I popped in the game.
Sadly no, but my cousin has it and I played it for a while. After I played it for myself, I'm going to buy it when I get the money for it.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
You know how when the DS first came out, a lot of people where unsure if they should get it because they didn't know gaming would go in the direction of the DS? (It might have been just me)

Is the DSi a similar thing, where you're not totally sure you really need it, but you actually do need it to play the next generation of handheld games?

UncleSam

Smash Master
You know how when the DS first came out, a lot of people where unsure if they should get it because they didn't know gaming would go in the direction of the DS? (It might have been just me)

Is the DSi a similar thing, where you're not totally sure you really need it, but you actually do need it to play the next generation of handheld games?
Yes, I got it on the release and there wasn't many people at Gamestop, The downloadable content for the DSi does include games that need the camera obviously, and in the future they might have releases involving the camera

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Yes, I got it on the release and there wasn't many people at Gamestop, The downloadable content for the DSi does include games that need the camera obviously, and in the future they might have releases involving the camera
I thought so.

It's not only that though, I heard that there are going to be DSi specific cartridges, which made me worry that I would need to upgrade to play the next generation of Pokemon.

Right now it's not a big deal because no one is really treating it like a new console, but if it is a gameboy advanced style upgrade, I'm probably going to try to wait for a DSi lite.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I doubt you're going to have to play the next generation of Pokemon games on it. I don't think it's even so much as a GBA upgrade. Let's observe the pattern.

Game Boy
Original Game Boy - Green screen, large.
Game Boy Pocket - Black and white screen, smaller.
Game Boy Color - Color screen, small. Could play the few GBC-exclusive games.

Game Boy Advance
Game Boy Advance - Regular-sized, regular, color screen.
Game Boy Advance SP - Smaller, flips closed, frontlit.
Game Boy Micro - Don't really know the specs of this...but, very small.

Nintendo DS
Nintendo DS - Backlit, dual-screens.
Nintendo DS Lite - Backlit, higher-quality screen, dual-screens, smaller.

Since the other two generations of portables have had three renditions, I imagine the DSi will be the third for the DS. I see it as the DS's Game Boy Color. If Platinum hadn't already come out, I would have guessed Platinum would be exclusively for DSi, but it hasn't, so it's not going to be a Pokemon Crystal.

The worst I imagine happening is that they finally decide to do a G/S remake...on the DSi. Which would actually be pretty god-awful.

UncleSam

Smash Master
I thought so.

It's not only that though, I heard that there are going to be DSi specific cartridges, which made me worry that I would need to upgrade to play the next generation of Pokemon.
I haven't heard anything about that

Right now it's not a big deal because no one is really treating it like a new console, but if it is a gameboy advanced style upgrade, I'm probably going to try to wait for a DSi lite.
Just like what they did with the GBASP

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
If you already have a DS Lite then wait for the DSi. If you still have your DS Phat, then pick it up. I got mine on launch day and it's a pretty solid system... a definite upgrade. The camera is still fairly decent for the low quality (and its pretty fun to mess around with all the effects they put on it), it now has its own OS, and I expect the shop to get a bunch of awesome stuff on it pretty soon. They give you a free 1,000 DS points as long as your first WiFi long on is before october first, and this lets you get quite a few things... the WarioWare game is hella fun.

I'd say wait -- I do expect it to become a worthwhile replacement for the DS Lite soon, though.

UncleSam

Smash Master
Exactly.

BTW, there are specialized DSi-only games, although very few have been announced so far.

http://videogamecentral.com/gamersvoice/index.php/2009/gdc09-two-types-of-dsi-cartridges-coming-out/
If you already have a DS Lite then wait for the DSi. If you still have your DS Phat, then pick it up. I got mine on launch day and it's a pretty solid system... a definite upgrade. The camera is still fairly decent for the low quality (and its pretty fun to mess around with all the effects they put on it), it now has its own OS, and I expect the shop to get a bunch of awesome stuff on it pretty soon. They give you a free 1,000 DS points as long as your first WiFi long on is before october first, and this lets you get quite a few things... the WarioWare game is hella fun.

I'd say wait -- I do expect it to become a worthwhile replacement for the DS Lite soon, though.
I had the lite, and I got the DSi on the release and felt the difference, I didn't get warioware snapped tho, if everone is saying it's that good, I might as well download it

and so far there is no homebrew for the DSi but there is a Flashcard that works http://www.acekard.com/hopefully there will be homebrew, I don't want an SD card, and an SD card mini for one system, I already have 3 SD cards for my Wii

D

Deleted member

I wasn't gonna get one, but Gamestop offered me a deal I couldn't refuse. Apparently, some guy returned the DSi to the store yesterday, so I traded in my Lite to get it used for $50. It's this really cool light blue color. Do any of you guys do Club Nintendo? Cause registering the DSi gets you 160 coins! Only 60 more till the Game & Watch collection...

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I wasn't gonna get one, but Gamestop offered me a deal I couldn't refuse. Apparently, some guy returned the DSi to the store yesterday, so I traded in my Lite to get it used for $50. It's this really cool light blue color. Do any of you guys do Club Nintendo? Cause registering the DSi gets you 160 coins! Only 60 more till the Game & Watch collection...
You actually like the baby-blue colored DSi?

D

Deleted member

I got it used, I couldn't choose. I'm a poet and I didn't even know it. I can make a rhyme anytime.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Don't waste your coins. The Game & Watch Collection only has four games on it.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Wow, nice deal godsmith. I myself would be tempted in that situation.

I know I'll be called stupid for doing so, but I'm still planning on getting a Lite to replace my Phat (stupid hinge, spontaneously cracking like that...v_v). I'll probably wait a while to get one anyways, so I'll see...if any GOOD exclusive titles are announced, I'll get the DSi...but otherwise, I'm sticking to the Lite. I know it's inferior to the DSi in most senses, but A) No GBA slot, which I get a lot of use from. B) I save $40 if I go for the Lite. C) Principle.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
One of the main reason why I'm keeping my DS Phat is that I heard the DSi is going to be region locked on some games that support the DSi functions. Hopefully Puyo Puyo 7 isn't effected by this when it get it, it's going to suck playing it on my DS Phat. T_T

D

Deleted member

Don't waste your coins. The Game & Watch Collection only has four games on it.
They're pretty much forcing me to get the G&W collection, as most of the coins can get accessories for the console I just sold.

Darkslash

Smash Master
I just got one. And even my Dad is interested in it. When I get a job, I'm going to get my own DSi, as my sister is getting a free DS lite in the future.

But the DSi Is WAY lighter than the DS lite. I was holding them and the Lite doesn't deserve the title of Lite any more :p

Top Bottom