• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo DSi

Spire

III
BRoomer
I don't disagree with your stand on the DSi issue, Firus, I was merely contesting you by comparing the 360 (which I know you care for) to the DSi. For the record, I've not purchased a DSi yet, nor do I want to because I'll lose the ability to play GBA games, which I feel, has sported the best handheld games to date.

Now, if Spirit Tracks happens to be one of those DSi enhanced games where playing on a DSi unlocks a lot of extra content (I'm talking about far more than just some Tingle-tuner gimmick), then I may pick it up. Also, an OoT/MM DSi remake would instantly gratify my purchase, but we all know that it probably won't happen.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
The DSi... What a waist of money.

Where's our next generation handheld? Past patterns have shown that it should have at least been announced by now, but no... Another DS rehash has been released, and it's probably expected to hold us for another few years.

Features like the DSiware would have been nice on a next generation handheld, but really, it's the only reason to buy a DSi at all, and I'd much rather have faith that the feature will return in the next generation handheld so I won't waist my money on the DSi.

I already own a DS, and I use the GBA slot quite frequently when I play it. The DSi is just another DS rehash, and I'm sad that Nintendo's greedy enough to do that... And people are buying it. lol.

UncleSam

Smash Master
I don't disagree with your stand on the DSi issue, Firus, I was merely contesting you by comparing the 360 (which I know you care for) to the DSi. For the record, I've not purchased a DSi yet, nor do I want to because I'll lose the ability to play GBA games, which I feel, has sported the best handheld games to date.

Now, if Spirit Tracks happens to be one of those DSi enhanced games where playing on a DSi unlocks a lot of extra content (I'm talking about far more than just some Tingle-tuner gimmick), then I may pick it up. Also, an OoT/MM DSi remake would instantly gratify my purchase, but we all know that it probably won't happen.
well they already have OoT on virtual console, and hopefully MM on virtual console too... I'm going to find a GBA console somehow.
I mean I still have my GBC...

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I'm planning on getting a micro for all those great GBA games you pointed out which I have, ALttP was the best...
Well, the Micro costs about $60. It's fully your choice, but you spend a total of $230 with the DSi and Micro, whereas for $130 you can get a Lite with DS and GBA functionality. Of course, not DSi functionality, but I'll have to wait and see if it's actually worth it or if none of the functionality is actually going to pose interest to me.

depends on what they were doing, the DSi does have downloadable content now with $10 of nintendo points to use (they made it like one currency now, Nintendo points could go into your Wii or your DSi now to stop confusion)
True. But with $10, you can't buy a WHOLE lot, so it seems unlikely that all of that time was spent on a downloaded game. I don't know, I'm making assumptions here, I could be wrong.

Yeah. You have a good point; I do have a problem with that aspect of the 360. The only thing is, the alternative we're talking about when it comes to the 360 would be another console, which wouldn't have the same content, whereas the alternative to the DSi is the Phat or Lite, both of which have most of what the DSi has to offer in terms of DS games.

Yes, I'm sad to say that if a Super Metroid remake, or a totally new Metroid game, pops up on DSi I may be forced to get it. The same would probably go if a Gold/Silver remake were announced for it.

well they already have OoT on virtual console, and hopefully MM on virtual console too... I'm going to find a GBA console somehow.
I mean I still have my GBC...
MM isn't on VC, but that's not the point; Spire has both games already, he's talking about a remake.

UncleSam

Smash Master
Well, the Micro costs about $60. It's fully your choice, but you spend a total of $230 with the DSi and Micro, whereas for $130 you can get a Lite with DS and GBA functionality. Of course, not DSi functionality, but I'll have to wait and see if it's actually worth it or if none of the functionality is actually going to pose interest to me.
I got $70 off for selling my Lite, so I save $10 from the original price of the DSi for 2 portables. and a remake for MM would be interesting

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Technically you still spent the same amount, just part of it was in the form of a product instead of direct cash. Actually, since GameStop tends to be rather sucky with prices, especially when it comes to selling things back, you probably spent a little more...

Not to be too technical.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
The DSi... What a waist of money.

Where's our next generation handheld? Past patterns have shown that it should have at least been announced by now, but no... Another DS rehash has been released, and it's probably expected to hold us for another few years.

Features like the DSiware would have been nice on a next generation handheld, but really, it's the only reason to buy a DSi at all, and I'd much rather have faith that the feature will return in the next generation handheld so I won't waist my money on the DSi.

I already own a DS, and I use the GBA slot quite frequently when I play it. The DSi is just another DS rehash, and I'm sad that Nintendo's greedy enough to do that... And people are buying it. lol.
Do you think there will be another handheld generation?

The DSi is a lot like the original DS - no gameboy compatibility, but retained GBA compatibility, likewise the DSi has no GBA compatability and retains DS compatibility.

There is a very real possibility that instead of entirely new systems, there may only be improvements on existing handhelds from now on.

Besides, does anyone really want a new game cartidge that's even smaller than the existing cartridges?
Although I would like to know that I'm buying a new system this time instead of a rehash of an old system, like I thought the original DS was.

UncleSam

Smash Master
Do you think there will be another handheld generation?

The DSi is a lot like the original DS - no gameboy compatibility, but retained GBA compatibility, likewise the DSi has no GBA compatability and retains DS compatibility.

There is a very real possibility that instead of entirely new systems, there may only be improvements on existing handhelds from now on.

Besides, does anyone really want a new game cartidge that's even smaller than the existing cartridges?
Although I would like to know that I'm buying a new system this time instead of a rehash of an old system, like I thought the original DS was.
My guess is if the DSi does in fact get popular and Sony or even Microsoft comes out with a new generation portable, we'll see Nintendo trying to pull back its fanbase with a new portable, but that probably won't happen for a while(though they are redisigning the PSP)

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Yeah, has anyone else noticed that as the DS has gone on it's slowly phasing out backwards compatibility...?

Darkslash

Smash Master
I'm not trying to start up arguments, but when someone says that they've thoroughly enjoyed a gaming device without actually putting a GAME in, I have to point it out as clear evidence as to why one would have an issue with the DSi.
Downloadable games.

Wario Ware snapped is too addicting.

Yeah, has anyone else noticed that as the DS has gone on it's slowly phasing out backwards compatibility...?
Maybe. No one sells GBA games any more with out the ridiculous pricing. And I believe the GBA Slot was a just in case add on.

Alzi

Smash Master
Wario Ware snapped is proberly all you should spend your 1000 points on then save the rest for future things.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Wario Ware snapped is proberly all you should spend your 1000 points on then save the rest for future things.
Unless you want to wait for Planet Puzzle League DSi or Dr. Mario Express to come out... if you like puzzle games that is.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Hey guys. I've been thinking about getting my first handheld ever, a DSi, but I never got to play some GBA games.

I'm considering getting a DS Lite instead but I heard it might not be able to play all DSi games. Can someone tell me what the difference is that might make some DSi games incompatible with the DS? I mean, they both use a stylus and 2 screens...

Darkslash

Smash Master
Hey guys. I've been thinking about getting my first handheld ever, a DSi, but I never got to play some GBA games.

I'm considering getting a DS Lite instead but I heard it might not be able to play all DSi games. Can someone tell me what the difference is that might make some DSi games incompatible with the DS? I mean, they both use a stylus and 2 screens...
Camera, internal memory/ with SD card support, it can run games better and faster due to better internal specs.

Also the DSi shop is also with DSi games only.

D

Deleted member

I'd go for a Lite. It's $40 cheaper and plays GBA games. If you buy the DSi you get a camera (it's suckish), a music player (if you have any other music player, this is useless), Internet browser (average), Shop Channel (I don't see many fun games yet). There are going to be what they call enhanced games that work on the old DS's but there are extra features when played on DSi. There is also an SD card slot which is cool. I think the worst thing is that the battery is by far inferior to the Lite. With the DSi at 9-14 hours and Lite at 15-19 on lowest brightness.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
This wouldn't be a good replacement for an iPod, I don't think, Exce L.

And godsmith, yeah...I figured there would be an issue with battery (as you can see in the OP), but I didn't think it would have that much less total battery power, too. If you actually tried to use it as your only camera, music, and game player, you'd be even more screwed since you have to either use one or two more than the other(s) or divide it up into thirds and use each one equally.

Out of curiosity, can you play music while you play games in a way similar to the 360? i.e., it plays the music instead of the game's actual music? Or can you only use it in a special music player?

Darkslash

Smash Master
Out of curiosity, can you play music while you play games in a way similar to the 360? i.e., it plays the music instead of the game's actual music? Or can you only use it in a special music player?
Possibly future DSi games could do this. I'm not sure.

also personally to me the Ipod is a POS. It may have those high quality earphones, but they them selves are some times built to last a year or 2, before dying.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I've had a 30GB Video iPod since June '07 and it's still working fine. I've dropped it quite a few times, recently it accidentally fell out of my pocked while I was walking and hit the pavement. Aside from a slight nick, it's still fine.

In fact, the only iPod troubles I've had are with a Mini. A friend gave it to me used after he got a new iPod, he had used it for about a year. I used it for about a month and it spontaneously stopped playing the vocals, then a week later no sound came out at all. 6 months later after I had replaced it I tried it again and it worked fine. So I have no clue what was with that.

But, through winning iPods, actually getting them, and getting them as gift-things from events, I have...6 iPods. All of them are currently functioning perfectly fine.

Exce L

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty sure you can.. My cousin has one of these and I just saw him today playing Pokemon Pearl and listening to music... sooo yeah :D.

I've had a 30GB Video iPod since June '07 and it's still working fine. I've dropped it quite a few times, recently it accidentally fell out of my pocked while I was walking and hit the pavement. Aside from a slight nick, it's still fine.
But, through winning iPods, actually getting them, and getting them as gift-things from events, I have...6 iPods. All of them are currently functioning perfectly fine.
iPods are very very durable... Before I got my Chromatic.. I had a Nano and I wasn't going to give it away/sell it so my friends and I had fun smashing it with tennis rackets, fists, seats, shoes, you name it. After the screen cracked ... it still worked... even after we took the cover out... some of the chips flew out too but it would still play music on shuffle... Ha ha

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Yeah I bought an ipod touch a few months ago. It made me really re-think my Samsung Instinct phone. I really regret going with Samsung instead of an iPhone.

I just don't want the same thing to happen with the DS. You know, I get a DS and it turns out that better things come along with the DSi and them I'm screwed.

The Shop Channel and possibly missing out on new Mario/Metriod games is what makes me worry.

The GBA games are already out for us to assess but the DSi just came out. I mean, all the games that made GBA good have/will have new ports for the DSi.

Is there any way to "hack" a DSi to make it play GBA games? Some sort of adapter.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
The GBA games are already out for us to assess but the DSi just came out. I mean, all the games that made GBA good have/will have new ports for the DSi.
True, but ports won't necessarily be able to replace the ones from GBA. There are many Metroid games, and Super Metroid was only the third; but it's still my favorite game, and even though I love Fusion and Zero Mission (especially Fusion, I've played it 28 times =D) they still haven't replaced it. If I want to play Super Metroid, the only thing that'll satisfy that craving is Super Metroid, as Zero Mission and Fusion are completely different games even though they're in the same franchise.

Is there any way to "hack" a DSi to make it play GBA games? Some sort of adapter.
Oh, I'm sure someone will invent one eventually that plugs into the SD Card slot. Actually, my friend's pretty good with that kind of stuff, he's made a portable NES and is working on another one which I plan to buy from him eventually, so he might be able to make one himself. But, for now, there isn't one.

The only problem would be is if their anti-pirating crap blocks it out somehow.

I would wonder if Nintendo will come out with one themselves, but I doubt it. If they still plan to market the Lite and DSi side-by-side they're not going to offer a GBA slot for the DSi, they're going to ask you to buy the Lite too.

UncleSam

Smash Master
The Shop Channel and possibly missing out on new Mario/Metriod games is what makes me worry.
The DSi has been out for 10 days, it was like the release of Wiiware, the majority of the release titles sucked, just wait a while and more good titles should start rolling in

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
The DSi has been out for 10 days, it was like the release of Wiiware, the majority of the release titles sucked, just wait a while and more good titles should start rolling in
So basically, you're saying "Worry"?

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Unless you want to wait for Planet Puzzle League DSi or Dr. Mario Express to come out... if you like puzzle games that is.
Like I said, wait for these game's to come out for greatness. =P

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
So basically, I'm saying WAIT a little while
SinkingHigher said:
They were saying how they didn't want to buy a DS and then be missing things on the DSi. They said that the Shop Channel made them "worry" because they might miss things.

You basically said "Good titles will be coming eventually, just not yet." In other words, "You should worry about missing things with the DSi."

UncleSam

Smash Master
They were saying how they didn't want to buy a DS and then be missing things on the DSi. They said that the Shop Channel made them "worry" because they might miss things.

You basically said "Good titles will be coming eventually, just not yet." In other words, "You should worry about missing things with the DSi."
I'm on a whole different planet right now, only if it comes out should you be worrying on missing out, but it hasn't come yet.

The only thing I miss about the DS lite is that it was all shiny:colorful:
The DSi isn't all shiny, but it's a bit more durable, it doesn't scratch as easily

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ The DSi is less popular in the US then it is in Japan so far, I guess it's not a thing to get in the US yet. ♥

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
I think it's that DSi is still pretty new.

After people see what (hopefully) comes out for the DSi, more people will be willing to buy it.

-:bowser:Bowser King

Darkslash

Smash Master
My class mates went spaztastic over my DSi.

2 Minutes later they were talking about their DS'es even though one of them said they couldn't find her's, plus the fact they haven't mentioned about them. But they are going on a long trip tomorrow..

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
How good is Dr. Mario Express? Is it better than Dr. Mario Online RX?

jumpman9793

Smash Apprentice
The Art Style Games are the best DSiware has to offer. PiCTOBits is my favorite. I also really enjoy Mario vs. DK 3, as it is loaded with content.

§leepy God

Smash Master
To be honest, I haven't even checked the DSi Ware yet, I guess I'll check it out later. I'm still waiting on three DS games, and another one that hasn't showen in my mail box yet.

Top Bottom