• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo DSi

UncleSam

Smash Master
There are 2 people in my school who got this, including me, and now that we've basically showed it off everyone wants to buy one, before they were all on the fence about it.

POKE40

Smash Lord
I smell big-buisness...
Reading on what kind of games Big N is selling, I sense remakes...
Like New Play Control for wii
New Features for the DSi

I find it surprising this being sold as an "update"
So is this worth getting?

UncleSam

Smash Master
I smell big-buisness...
New Features for the DSi

depends, how frequently do you play GBA games? I still do, but I'm probably going to get a micro to go along with my DSi, it's so tiny!
that's what she said
I played it, and I'm like "holy crap, this is the micro, I could accidentally swallow this and not notice" it's cool

Darkslash

Smash Master
I smell big-buisness...
New Features for the DSi

Too be honest the only thing the Lite has right now is the GBA slot. But I found it only useful for Pokemon migrating.

The DSi is really a true upgrade. There are too many things that aren't in the DS Phat/Lite.

Also I like the ACC player. Personally I think its better to use a SD card as I don't have to wipe my songs every time I move to a different computer.

D

Deleted member

I smell big-buisness...
New Features for the DSi

No, it's probably not. If you have a music player (iPod, Zune, etc.) and you have a digital camera or cameraphone, you most likely don't want it. The only thing you maybe would want it for is the DSi shop (if anything awesome comes out) and possibly the Internet browser. Also, WARNING, Nintendo decided that it would only play AAC files, so MP3 WON'T WORK.

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
I'll be honest. I'm not getting one soon because of my flash cart.

Darkslash

Smash Master
. Also, WARNING, Nintendo decided that it would only play AAC files, so MP3 WON'T WORK.
That really isn't a big issue. My DSi categorized all my AAC Files into their Albums. Also Itunes is a free AAC converter.

Also I made the 2nd OP of Macross Frontier "Lion" sound like it was being sung by a boy band, which I believe you can't do on an Ipod, not sure.

Also the DSi has some surprising filters as well. With a radio filter I can make my 80's songs sound like their from the 80's >_>. Then the Instrumental filter gets some nice back vocals not in the official tracks(both instrumental and vocal).

Though the 8 Bit filter really sounds messed unless you put an actual song that was once 8 bit.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Meh, music filters are just another gimmick. Doesn't inspire me to use the DSi instead of my iPod.

Also, it irks me that they had a DSi commercial focusing entirely around the Liquify feature of the photo function.
Like, seriously?

Darkslash

Smash Master
Meh, music filters are just another gimmick. Doesn't inspire me to use the DSi instead of my iPod.
Your right, but I love those gimmicks. Though I do love to listen to Instrumentals so those gimmicks help me choose over an Ipod, which I believe are Ear Drills.

Also, it irks me that they had a DSi commercial focusing entirely around the Liquify feature of the photo function.
Like, seriously?
LolWut?

Youtube Link.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I want them to put Chotto Panel De Pon and Chotto Dr. Mario on the US DSi Ware now. 3=

Ange

Smash Lord
I still need to wait until Pokemon Platinum. :( -European-

However, I got my white DSi today. I like it. I like it very much. :D

A shame it cant read my Action Replay DS though. I'll just stick to my DS Lite with that.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Your right, but I love those gimmicks. Though I do love to listen to Instrumentals so those gimmicks help me choose over an Ipod, which I believe are Ear Drills.
You're right...the iPod, a device created to play music, is an ear drill, and the DSi, a game system with an MP3 Player as an extra, is a chorus of angels. >_>

Sense: that statement makes none.

Gimmicks are what made me love the Wii and the DS before they came out. Then I actually got them and I forgot that they even existed. For example: Pictochat. Photo Channel. Weather Channel.

The DS is a good system (whilst I could not say I think the same for the Wii), but I still got attracted by gimmicks which never really affected my experience. I get the feeling the DSi is chock full of that.

LolWut?

Youtube Link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeGEjTVgN_s

A shame it cant read my Action Replay DS though. I'll just stick to my DS Lite with that.
Wait, let me guess; Nintendo made the OS for the DSi block out AR?

Another reason to NOT get the DSi. Too much crap trying to stop you from playing the system how you want to play it.

(While I don't support piracy, flash cards are used for more than piracy, I believe. Don't yell at me if I'm wrong, I've never researched them.)

Not that I can find my ARDS at the moment anyways...but if I ever find it/get another one, I want to be able to use it. Is it a crime to catch Shaymin myself instead of driving 45 minutes to Toys 'R' Us, wasting gas, so I can get it zapped into my game, with no effort involved and without having the OT be myself? Or, you know, to get it eventually instead of waiting a year and a half for it to even be announced as an actual Pokemon?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Wha...t...?

I still don't get it. The volume on my iPod works fine unless you have a crappy recording of some sort. In which case that's your fault.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
You're right...the iPod, a device created to play music, is an ear drill, and the DSi, a game system with an MP3 Player as an extra, is a chorus of angels. >_>

Sense: that statement makes none.

Gimmicks are what made me love the Wii and the DS before they came out. Then I actually got them and I forgot that they even existed. For example: Pictochat. Photo Channel. Weather Channel.

The DS is a good system (whilst I could not say I think the same for the Wii), but I still got attracted by gimmicks which never really affected my experience. I get the feeling the DSi is chock full of that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeGEjTVgN_s

Another reason to NOT get the DSi. Too much crap trying to stop you from playing the system how you want to play it.

(While I don't support piracy, flash cards are used for more than piracy, I believe. Don't yell at me if I'm wrong, I've never researched them.)

Not that I can find my ARDS at the moment anyways...but if I ever find it/get another one, I want to be able to use it. Is it a crime to catch Shaymin myself instead of driving 45 minutes to Toys 'R' Us, wasting gas, so I can get it zapped into my game, with no effort involved and without having the OT be myself? Or, you know, to get it eventually instead of waiting a year and a half for it to even be announced as an actual Pokemon?
You could always use the original DS.

I do believe Nintendo is somewhat annoyed by the free Wii points hack that's become somewhat mainstream though. I don't condone the removal of hacking outright, but the fact is that no company is expected to support using their product in potentially illegal ways. I suspect that the issues every company has with Chinese piracy haven't helped the matter.

I'm not necesarily in disagreement with you, but rather I like to point out the viewpoint of the opposing arguement. Especially concerning the stupid, annoying real-world requirements for catching "event" pokemon.

UncleSam

Smash Master
I was looking all around for (hopefully) homebrew, because all my friends were yelling at me to hack it and I couldn't get them to shut up, so far we have nothing, well almost, most Flashcards don't work though one has been able to bypass the block: http://www.acekard.com/ I'm going to wait a while, and if no homebrew (though it would be awesome) I'd buy an AceKard, but finding an SD micro will be hard... and continuing with the music, it does not run Mp3 files, though iTunes has an AAC converter which is a lifesaver
EDIT: omg! they have a limited edition FFCC: echoes of time DSi in japan for almost 24,000 yen which is about $240 it comes with the game and a soundtrack http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKkzk_PSq-s&feature=relatedI'm getting this when it releases in the US

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
You could always use the original DS.
Yeah, but I need a new DS. My Phat has recently fallen prey to the all-too-common hinge crack. It's certainly playable and I don't run into any issues other than...
It just BOTHERS me. I don't know why, it just annoys me that it's there. So playing my DS is not a fully satisfying experience.

I could just use the AR on my Phat and then once I'm done go back to the DSi but...it's more trouble than it's worth.

I do believe Nintendo is somewhat annoyed by the free Wii points hack that's become somewhat mainstream though.
Wait, free Wii Points? I didn't know that existed. Do you have a link to an article or anything about it?

That I don't condone.

I don't condone the removal of hacking outright, but the fact is that no company is expected to support using their product in potentially illegal ways. I suspect that the issues every company has with Chinese piracy haven't helped the matter.
Yeah, you're right. On the other hand, is the AR the cause of all of this? I'm fairly sure it isn't. From what I gathered things blocking out AR/Homebrew use are because they don't want people using codes and such.

I'm not necesarily in disagreement with you, but rather I like to point out the viewpoint of the opposing arguement. Especially concerning the stupid, annoying real-world requirements for catching "event" pokemon.
Yeah...I can see the other side's point when it comes to piracy and legality issues, but I don't support Nintendo's "ZOMGHAXXOR" policy. I know they need to keep online play relatively fair, but there's ALWAYS going to be someone out there who decides to be a jerk and hack. For my part, I don't do codes online. I've done it once or twice for kicks but it's not really that fun and it's rather low.

The sad thing is that if Nintendo had kept GBA functionality they MIGHT have had me on the DSi. But for that, and on principle because they shoved useless crap in and took one of the most useful features out, I'm avoiding it at all costs.

Ange

Smash Lord
Seems like it. It is a shame, really.
Even tho I can just go to my DS Lite to hack, it would still be easier and faster if I could just use it on the DSi. :/

Ahwell, I dont regret I bought it. Ive never been into pirated flash cards myself, just the ARDS, so Im not really that affected.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Wait, free Wii Points? I didn't know that existed. Do you have a link to an article or anything about it?

That I don't condone.
I actually have to google it myself to find information on it's existance, as I am only aware of first-hand accounts of the hack. I found an instructional video in the third result when I searched the terms "free" "wii" "points" "homebrew" and "hack" on google, but I hesitate putting a direct link because it kinda comes close to breaking the smashboards rules on hacking.
And I don't want to tempt anyone to try it.

To be honest, Nintendo was the kindest of any company for hackers, as most gamecube hacks also work on the wii. If they're backlashing now, it's because homebrew is flourishing a little too much for their comfort. I don't think homebrew itself is bad, but this particular hack is one of few that I have seen implemented first-hand.

EDIT: I just finished the video. It wasn't a free wii point hack, it was a bit-torrent-to-wii hack. Close enough, but sorry it wasn't quite what I thought it would be.

Master WGS

Smash Lord
All I know is that I'm having WAAAAY too much fun with the camera and photo editing stuff.

I can't wait until one of my friends who's actually GOOD at drawing gets one of these. No doubt this'll be one of the first things they toy with, and I wanna see the results.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'm just going to hold off on buying a DSi.
My DS Lite's working perfectly, and I haven't been playing it much recently.

I'll probably get one once there some interesting games specifically for the DSi.
The only issue I have is that DSiWare is region locked.:ohwell:

EDIT: Char custom would be cool...

quinn95

Smash Journeyman
Did anyone get the BD&A system wallet?
I did,but now I am worried the magnet might harm the dsi.
But it is authorized by Nintendo...
Does anyone know if it's safe?

What games did everyone get with their free points?
I got WarioWare, bird and beans and that magic game.

UncleSam

Smash Master
Did anyone get the BD&A system wallet?
I did,but now I am worried the magnet might harm the dsi.
But it is authorized by Nintendo...
Does anyone know if it's safe?
The magnet just puts the DSi to sleep, even when the system is open
What games did everyone get with their free points?
I got WarioWare, bird and beans and that magic game.

bird and beans, and Aquia, that puzzle game

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
And that's why I'm not getting the DSi.

The purpose of it is not to be a gaming device, it's supposed to be the DSiPod Touch.

My iPod Touch is a lot of fun to screw around with. But I wouldn't have actually bought the thing because I already had something to perform the main functions of it (I won it in a raffle). I only get apps for it which are free; I have yet to pay a cent for one. Why? Because you can get a good amount of enjoyment out of the free ones, and some of the things you have to pay for are ridiculous; who pays $1 for an app which has a video of flying through clouds, so you can have three settings instead of just a regular, daytime one? It's cool to watch occasionally for free, but not for even $.01 would I buy the one with settings.

Basically, the DSi is a lot of fun to screw around with but it doesn't appear to be meant as an actual GAMING device, which is what I buy handhelds for. I've seen a few commercials for it...well, that's a lie. I've seen a few commercials for it repeated about ten times each. Anyways, it already has its own stupid slogan right next to "Wii would like to play" (well, that one's kind of catchy, but still rather pun-ish, you must admit) -- "What will you and 'i' do?" -- and the commercials so far have focused on how fun it is to manipulate photos to make fun of your friends and how much fun it is to tap a screen in rhythm. Doesn't sound like my kind of gaming device.

Now, it's 100% perfectly fine if that's what you enjoy. But for my part, I see it as a waste of $40 more when I could save money AND get a more useful function -- a GBA slot -- out of the deal.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
So wait -- you're actually complaining that it can be used as both a gaming device and a multimedia device?

I'm sorry if I'm in the wrong here, but I just kind of assumed that having more features was a good thing.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Basically, the DSi is a lot of fun to screw around with but it doesn't appear to be meant as an actual GAMING device, which is what I buy handhelds for. I've seen a few commercials for it...well, that's a lie. I've seen a few commercials for it repeated about ten times each. Anyways, it already has its own stupid slogan right next to "Wii would like to play" (well, that one's kind of catchy, but still rather pun-ish, you must admit) -- "What will you and 'i' do?" -- and the commercials so far have focused on how fun it is to manipulate photos to make fun of your friends and how much fun it is to tap a screen in rhythm. Doesn't sound like my kind of gaming device.
Well Firus, the 360 would fall prey to your "doesn't appear to be meant as an actual GAMING device" title too, wouldn't it? It can stream Netflix, play music, allow chat with friends, download TV shows, etc, etc. Tons of non-gaming related features, but it's still a gaming device isn't it. So it the DSi. If the DS was a gaming device, then the DSi is a gaming device with more features. Plain and simple.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Actually, Firus has a point. Gaming devices tend to have some trouble unless they are advertised as gaming devices, and not multi-media (such as the PS3). itouch is a music device, iphone is a music device that also has a phone, DS is a gaming device, and PSP is a multimedia device that fails partially because no one quite knows what a "multimedia" is.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
So wait -- you're actually complaining that it can be used as both a gaming device and a multimedia device?

I'm sorry if I'm in the wrong here, but I just kind of assumed that having more features was a good thing.
Yeah, because I don't need an MP3 player, a camera, or the ability to add silly effects to photos I take, really. Then it costs me more.

Well Firus, the 360 would fall prey to your "doesn't appear to be meant as an actual GAMING device" title too, wouldn't it? It can stream Netflix, play music, allow chat with friends, download TV shows, etc, etc. Tons of non-gaming related features, but it's still a gaming device isn't it. So it the DSi. If the DS was a gaming device, then the DSi is a gaming device with more features. Plain and simple.
I'm not saying I don't have my issues with the 360. I had always respected that Nintendo didn't add on extra crap to their systems because all I need is a gaming device. I dislike that with the 360, I'm also paying for the ability to play DVDs when I have not and will not ever use that feature since I have a perfectly working DVD player and playing too many DVDs in the 360 could potentially have bad effects on it (I had a friend who played too many DVDs on their PS2 and it would only play DVDs). I'm not saying the DSi is awful and nothing else even comes close to having the same problems. The thing is, the 360 doesn't THRIVE off of the fact that it has those things. The commercials I see for the 360 are based on the software, not how fun it is to play DVDs and music on it (although I do enjoy the ability to play my own music during games at times, it's hardly a necessary feature).

Also, both of you are leaving off the fact that the DSi is technically inferior as a gaming device compared to the DS Phat/Lite. Whether or not you like the DS better, whether or not you even give a crap about the GBA, the DSi lacks the ability to play those games. Doing a quick search on the ESRB website for all GBA titles, they have rated 1036 GBA games. That's a LOT of games that the Phat/Lite can play and the DSi cannot.

When the DSi removed the GBA slot to add and improve the photo and music functionality with an SD card slot, it was choosing the non-gaming aspect over the gaming aspect.

UncleSam

Smash Master
Why are we still arguing with you? I mean we all have our own opinions, Firust is into GBA games, and the people who already have it agree that some of the new features which are currently being over-looked
*cough*hotswap*cough*
are better, and make up for the lost GBA slot

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
It's Firus. >_> Firus the Hedgehog, just without spaces.

I don't really see how any number of extra features, especially just the ability to switch cartridges without turning off the system (that takes like, what, five seconds?), can make 1036 games irrelevant; especially when those 1036 games include gems like Metroid Fusion, ALttP/Four Swords, all of the third gen Pokemon games, both Fire Emblem games...I could go on. There are a ton of great games on GBA.

I'm not trying to start up arguments, but when someone says that they've thoroughly enjoyed a gaming device without actually putting a GAME in, I have to point it out as clear evidence as to why one would have an issue with the DSi.

UncleSam

Smash Master
It's Firus. >_> Firus the Hedgehog, just without spaces.

I don't really see how any number of extra features, especially just the ability to switch cartridges without turning off the system (that takes like, what, five seconds?), can make 1036 games irrelevant; especially when those 1036 games include gems like Metroid Fusion, ALttP/Four Swords, all of the third gen Pokemon games, both Fire Emblem games...I could go on. There are a ton of great games on GBA.

I'm planning on getting a micro for all those great GBA games you pointed out which I have, ALttP was the best...
I'm not trying to start up arguments, but when someone says that they've thoroughly enjoyed a gaming device without actually putting a GAME in, I have to point it out as clear evidence as to why one would have an issue with the DSi.
depends on what they were doing, the DSi does have downloadable content now with $10 of nintendo points to use (they made it like one currency now, Nintendo points could go into your Wii or your DSi now to stop confusion)

Top Bottom