• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
OK since people don't like my opinions on Pit, I decided to do something to do something that will probably just confuse them more. :p
I devised a veteran roster keeping what's been said in mind assuming that the next game would have about 50 characters, ~15 of which would be newcomers, leaving me with ~35 slots to play with.
:ultbowser::ultbyleth::ultfalcon::ultcharizard::ultdiddy::ultdk::ultfox::ultganondorf::ultinkling::ultkingdedede::ultkirby::ultlittlemac::ultlucario::ultluigi::ultmario::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultminmin:ultgnw::ultness::ultolimar::ultpacman::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultpikachu::ultpit::ultridley::ultrobin::ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultshulk::ultsonic::ultsteve::ultvillager::ultwario::ultwolf::ultyoshi::ultzelda:

Explanations (and some extra considerations I'd have to make for a full roster):
  • Echo Fighters do not take up slots.
  • Ganondorf could be a completely different character, or replaced entirely by Ganon, but without thinking about it too hard ('cuz I gotta go soon), having him be here as is makes the most sense to me.
  • Isabelle's absence would likely be filled with Tom Nook.
  • Mega Man's absence would be filled with Zero. You could do X, but I don't want fans to feel like he's been replaced and is now obsolete.
  • Characters like Meta Knight, Falco, and Mewtwo are pretty glaring omissions that just couldn't get squeezed in. They are extremely likely to come back as DLC pretty quickly.

EDIT: One more thing before I go. 35ish slots cuts the roster in less than half, which is extremely restrictive. I picked about 15 newcomers since that's what smash fans are used to, and the 6 that Super Smash Bros. Ultimate had was said to be too low. Still, the series might benefit from a lower number (about 8-12) of newcomers than a higher one (15-18) for this reason.

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
I'm so curious about the direction of Fire Emblem for the next game. If nothing is sacred and they really want a fresh coat of paint for the next Smash, then I do wonder if the FE selection will be totally overhauled.

Roy and Corrin are easy targets for their lack of relevance and representational importance and Chrom and Lucina could easily go if they decide to cut back on echo fighters. Marth, Ike, Robin and Byleth all have the strongest cases to stay and feel like a pretty effective lineup for the series on their own, but depending on how hard of a reboot the next game is I could see them looking at FE and just starting from scratch. Maybe we'll get Edelgard to have a series villain and axe user and to potentially take Byleth's place, maybe we could see Anna as a recurring character and bow user, and then I guess Azura or Ephraim for the lance? Have a totally new selection of Marth, Robin, Azura, Edelgard, Anna and maybe Alear for something recent, or Ike out of sheer popularity.

I don't know. I kinda feel like I'm writing fanfiction right now. Realistically they'll probably just return the most popular and recognizable characters and give us a new lord on top. After all, Roy and Ike are such staples and even non-FE fans are attached to them, but I can also imagine the Smash Team assessing all the critiques of the FE characters being so homogenous and using a "reboot" as an excuse to totally reimagine the series in Smash. Having a better variety could be very attractive to those who have dismissed the franchise for so long. Of course, this would also imply like 2-4 newcomers for the series, but I wouldn't put it past them.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Here's a question: What character you think has a good likelihood of being cut that you DON'T want to see cut from the next Smash Bros. game?
Piranha Plant and Pichu, if there's like 10+ cuts they're probably both toast lol. Which sucks, Piranha Plant is my favorite newcomer in Ult and Pichu's tied for my favorite formerly cut veteran alongside Icies. But the thing is, Piranha Plant and Pichu both fall into a similar category. They were both clearly intended to be joke characters originally, and both are from rather competitive IPs.

I'm sure some of you are surprised I didn't say Jigglypuff, but honestly, I don't really fear Puff going bye bye at all? They have perfect attendance for a reason, I genuinely don't expect them to get cut unless there's like 25+ cuts. And if Puff does get cut.... I'm still not that worried. They'd probably just comes back as DLC at that point, and is that even a loss anymore?

Out of curiosity, what’s everyone’s stance on a “surprise” newcomer (i.e. Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., Duck Hunt, and Piranha Plant so far) for the next game?
Not sure how likely a new one is, but I'm all for them. I like being surprised and they break the mold, would absolutely love more.

Do you think the series will follow Ultimate's quantity-over-quality philosophy going forward?
Yes, mainly for two reasons. Firstly, I doubt they'd ever change the core gameplay formula in way that'd require truly changing all the veterans. The biggest design shift in the whole series is Melee to Brawl. And a lot changed there! But none of it caused them to have to retool every veteran, or anything close to that, so they were free to focus on making the roster large still. As for the other reason, characters sell! I don't think cuts would really impact sales much, but a lack of newcomers absolutely could. And you know, their other IPs also benefit from exposure in Smash, Smash is like a glorified advertisement. They have every incentive in the world to always keep adding and adding.

Don't get the wrong idea though, I'm not saying to not expect cuts. It's just that I imagine they'll always focus on making the roster as big as they can reasonably fit into their development timeframe.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I'm so curious about the direction of Fire Emblem for the next game. If nothing is sacred and they really want a fresh coat of paint for the next Smash, then I do wonder if the FE selection will be totally overhauled.

Roy and Corrin are easy targets for their lack of relevance and representational importance and Chrom and Lucina could easily go if they decide to cut back on echo fighters. Marth, Ike, Robin and Byleth all have the strongest cases to stay and feel like a pretty effective lineup for the series on their own, but depending on how hard of a reboot the next game is I could see them looking at FE and just starting from scratch. Maybe we'll get Edelgard to have a series villain and axe user and to potentially take Byleth's place, maybe we could see Anna as a recurring character and bow user, and then I guess Azura or Ephraim for the lance? Have a totally new selection of Marth, Robin, Azura, Edelgard, Anna and maybe Alear for something recent, or Ike out of sheer popularity.

I don't know. I kinda feel like I'm writing fanfiction right now. Realistically they'll probably just return the most popular and recognizable characters and give us a new lord on top. After all, Roy and Ike are such staples and even non-FE fans are attached to them, but I can also imagine the Smash Team assessing all the critiques of the FE characters being so homogenous and using a "reboot" as an excuse to totally reimagine the series in Smash. Having a better variety could be very attractive to those who have dismissed the franchise for so long. Of course, this would also imply like 2-4 newcomers for the series, but I wouldn't put it past them.
I fail to see any lack of variety in the Marth/Ike/Robin/Byleth lineup. Probably best not to overthink this. In terms of representing the series, this also has the OG, the biggest fan fave pick, and reps for the two most important modern FE games. On top, any of the clones may or may not return and we may or may not get a newcomer. I think Corrin probably ends up cut BUT at the same time I actually do think some people aren't giving them quite enough credit, and I wouldn't put them at the absolute bottom of the ranking like some people have them.

IMO, the likes of Anna or Ephraim are just too far down the food chain. That's reaching too hard for superficial differences where it's not necessary. Marth and Ike are on completely opposite ends of the swordfighter spectrum, and Robin and Byleth both have more than enough they can do outside of swinging a sword.

If you're looking for a multirep series roster that could use more of a makeover beyond just trimming down the back end, I'd look to Zelda first and then maybe even Pokemon to a certain extent (at least the back half of that roster).

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
Out of curiosity, what’s everyone’s stance on a “surprise” newcomer (i.e. Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., Duck Hunt, and Piranha Plant so far) for the next game?
My stance is that it's near pointless to try to predict who it will be.

It's a "surprise" for a reason, with the only commonality being it isn't someone who fits the same conventions as the rest of the newcomers.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
If an Assassin's Creed character ever gets into Smash, I'm hoping it'll either be Altiar or Ezio, with Desmond as a possible Echo or semi-clone.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Also, I think people are really not giving Wii Fit enough credit. It's not relevant anymore, but like people have pointed out that's not any different than so many other 1-rep series that people are much more confident in. On top of that, it was ludicrously more successful in its time than any of Mother, KI, FZ, etc. It brings in a different type of audience to Smash and offers a flavor to the roster that no one else really can, and yes, that includes a potential Ring Fit character (Ring Fit has a lot of RPG and fantasy elements that would be worked into the moveset; thematically and personality-wise it doesn't capture the same thing that Wii Fit does at all). The primary thing I see people bring up against Wii Fit anyway is these vaguely supported claims about a lack of popularity, which again don't factor in the unique audience that WF appeals to specifically.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
I fail to see any lack of variety in the Marth/Ike/Robin/Byleth lineup. Probably best not to overthink this. In terms of representing the series, this also has the OG, the biggest fan fave pick, and reps for the two most important modern FE games. On top, any of the clones may or may not return and we may or may not get a newcomer. I think Corrin probably ends up cut BUT at the same time I actually do think some people aren't giving them quite enough credit, and I wouldn't put them at the absolute bottom of the ranking like some people have them.

IMO, the likes of Anna or Ephraim are just too far down the food chain. That's reaching too hard for superficial differences where it's not necessary. Marth and Ike are on completely opposite ends of the swordfighter spectrum, and Robin and Byleth both have more than enough they can do outside of swinging a sword.
You're right. That's why I specified that Marth/Ike/Robin/Byleth is perfectly effective (and the most realistic). I just think if there were a time to see a total shakeup, then right now would be the time. The prospect of a Smash reboot, the oversaturation of FE in Ultimate and specifically the increasing outcry about "too many generic swordfighters" and the fact that FE is doing better than ever justifying the extra work to create a new lineup. By no means is it something I expect to happen, but it's the perfect time for the Smash team to really consider it.

Edit: I will say that a big concern is putting in all this work to make a new FE selection with a bunch of unique characters and then still just bringing back Roy, Chrom, Ike, Corrin, etc. as DLC out of pure fan demand. Before you know it we have 12 FE characters and people resent the series even more lol

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Here are my stances on the following:
People way too overestimate some characters' chances to get cut just because they got added after Melee.

A lot of Smash characters had no relevance when they were first added. It's more than a little hypocritical to defend Captain Falcon or Mr. Game & Watch as mainstays than argue that Pit or Wii Fit Trainer is low priority because they are outdated.
I feel like this is something that is difficult to balance in my opinion. I kind of view an older veteran with less significance/relevance in gaming analogous to something like Waluigi in Mario spinoffs where he’s not prominent to the mainline plot, but he’s been in so many spinoffs where is absence was felt in Mario Kart 7. In these cases, I can understand where some people want to maintain series staples as it might feel jarring to see them missing. It’s also hard because newer characters have their own things that they contribute. These could be through major franchises from Animal Crossing, Xenoblade, Mii, Splatoon, popularity within the SSB community like Mega Man, Ridley, K. Rool, and Sora, representation of rotating series (Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Xenoblade), or provide unique gimmicks (Rosalina’s puppet gimmick and Robin’s weapon durability).

Surprise Fighter: I’m cool with anything, and I have no clue who they’ll pick. I’ll just say Excitebike Rider as this was a major franchise, and I don’t think the average person would expect a bike rider on the roster, and Piranha Plant filled out the mook position.

Fire Emblem: I assume that Marth, Ike, and Robin will probably return given that Marth is effectively the series poster child, Ike is popular and still contributes a unique play style, and Robin is I think the most popular of the avatars within the SSB community. I’m 50-50 on Byleth as her/his inclusion was divisive, but 3 Houses was a major Fire Emblem game. Roy and Corrin feel expendable in my opinion given that Roy is a lower priority semi-clone, and Corrin was divisive. If echoes return, I’d expect Lucina to also come back.

In terms of newcomers, it’ll completely hinge on timing. My best guess is that the next Fire Emblem newcomer will be DLC as they’re release will align better with the DLC cycle.

Priority List (these are unordered)
I Can’t See Them Ever Leaving
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultbowser::ultpeach::ultdk::ultlink::ultzelda::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby:
:ultfox::ultpikachu::ultfalcon::ultmarth::ultpit::ultvillager::ultmiifighters::ultshulk::ultinkling::ultsonic:
I have Captain Falcon here as he’s the too popular in the SSB community. I went with Villager for Animal Crossing as (s)he’s the player character. I assume Miis will stay around for Nintendo avatars. I can’t see third parties going, and Sonic is the one third party I can’t see going. Pit is here because of Sakurai bias more or less.
Will Only Be Cut if Resources Are Really Tight
:ultdiddy::ultganondorf::ultridley::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede::ultpokemontrainer::ultlucario::ultness::ultike::ultrobin:
:ultgnw::ultwario::ultolimar::ultisabelle::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultryu::ultbayonetta:
I think we’ll double dip with Sega and Capcom before were get other non-Namco third parties. Animal Crossing has two characters in Mario Kart 8 DX, so I’d find it very perplexing is Isabelle or Villager is cut. I don’t Ness is something the community is as attached to compared to Falcon, but Mother has an ample amount of content, and cutting it all would feel jarring. Mr. Game & Watch seems to be the surprise fighter that the community hangs on to, so I’ll leave it with him. Ike is incredibly popular in the Fire Emblem community, and Robin seems to be the most popular of the avatars.
Pokemon Trainer is a really weird case as Ivysaur and Squirtle were cut before. I believe that the developers would want to maintain the gimmick and work on it during the next game instead of starting development with Charizard only, but I’ll admit that Ivysaur and Squirtle are the most likely to go from this tier as time constraints could affect their inclusion, forcing them to be removed.
They’re Not First on the Chopping Block, But I Wouldn’t be Shocked If They Miss the Boat
:ultrosalina::ultbowserjr::ultkrool::ultsheik::ulttoonlink::ultzss::ultfalco::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultgreninja:
:ultbyleth::ulticeclimbers::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer::ultlittlemac::ultmythra::ultduckhunt::ultbanjokazooie::ultsteve:
This is where the less popular SSB staples reside (Jigglypuff, Sheik, Zero Suit Samus, R.O.B., and Toon Link) as they are more expendable than some of the newer fighters, but their SSB history can help them stay on the roster. Even though they were cut once, I think the developers do like the Ice Climbers moveset, but I wouldn’t call them locks. Mewtwo has historcically been lower priority, but is popular in the community. Surprise characters and Little Mac are hard for me to gauge. I think the Microsfot veterans will probably at worst be DLC. This tier is mostly just trimming off some of the supplementary content as needed.
I Have No Clue What to Make of Them
:ultsnake::ultcloud::ultsimon::ultjoker::ulthero2::ult_terry::ultsephiroth::ultkazuya::ultsora:
Third parties are super hard to gauge, and they feel like a wild card barring the seven above.The only thing that I feel remotely comfortable saying is that I can see Cloud and Sora being DLC at the bare minimum.
Probably First on the Chopping Block
:ultdoc::ultpiranha::ultyounglink::ultwolf::ultincineroar::ultpichu::ultlucas::ultroy::ultcorrin::ultpalutena::ultminmin
The (semi-)clone characters are historically lower priority, and Corrin and Incinoroar feel less popular. Kid Icarus feels less relevant now, and I feel like Arms would be the first franchise to go if a first party franchise leaves.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Surprise characters and Little Mac are hard for me to gauge.
I understand, but god it deeply pains me that Little Mac needs to sit among this crowd and isn't chilling with Pit like he should be.

Punch-Out is not just some random retro game like Ice Climber, or even a big hit with only a single game like Duck Hunt. It is a series, and dare I say even a pretty substantial one - its series trajectory is not unlike Kid Icarus (a few old games and one really great reboot), and it received a full on new entry to the series more recently than any of the retro picks, or Captain Falcon (kinda) and Ness. Five games under its belt, if you want to count the arcade releases which we probably should. Six if you want to count Doc Louis' Punch-Out, which I wouldn't but I just felt like mentioning.

So it puts Little Mac in this strange category of being too new to the roster to be untouchable, but too old of a character to ride on any relevance argument or modern popularity. I think this should make him about as much of a no-brainer as anyone else, especially factoring in his popularity among casual players and his distinct archetypical role, and Punch-Out is perhaps one of the most commonly nodded-to retro titles in Nintendo's arsenal.

But there's a part of me that is, deep down, concerned for my boy because of how limited Punch-Out's current presence on the game is. The puny song selection and the lack of an assist trophy (still f'ing baffling to me ten years later) do not help the case, but I really hope Sakurai sees it my way. I hope that if / when Mac returns next game he's able to carry with him something resembling actual series representation that establishes Punch-Out more as its own discernible series with a strong identity and dynamic cast of characters and not as a retro accommodation like Ice Climber or Duck Hunt, where it lingers right now.

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Do you think the series will follow Ultimate's quantity-over-quality philosophy going forward?
Not quite, but I don't think it'll be too far off. It's fun to brainstorm a potential reboot that revamps the movesets of classic characters, focuses on a substantial single player mode and refines the gameplay, while offering a more compact, balanced roster...but those just aren't the big selling points of Smash. At the end of the day people love a big character select screen and a **** ton of newcomers. I do think there are a good 20-30 veterans that could be cut and Smash could still thrive without, but I still don't think it'll happen. It's easier to return characters than it is to create new ones, and frankly I don't see any good reason to stray far from Ultimate's foundation.

That said, enough time has passed to where I don't think an Ultimate Deluxe would go over as well as people think and Nintendo will want some other selling point that maybe doesn't have everyone focus on the size of the roster. The big critique I see for Ultimate is regarding the lackluster single-player content and some kind of "magic" that has been missing since Brawl. A Melee-esque adventure that lets us explore the different worlds, or a Brawl-like story mode that allows characters to interact would work wonders. Even just a text based story that has little pngs of the characters talking to each other would probably feel a lot less soulless than World of Light. Man, even trophies gave us brand new models to look at and little backstories to read and event matches offered little cross over scenarios. Spirits were expansive, but pretty much devoid of substance.

I also personally doubt the return of echo fighters. I don't expect any new ones and the ones that do return will likely get some meaningful changes to justify their existence. If you're trying to sell a roster that's roughly the same size as Ultimate or even smaller, then that's gonna be a lot easier if the characters are more diverse. It made sense in Melee because that game was rushed for more content and it made sense in Ultimate because the return of every veteran meant that 1) there would already be clones on the roster anyway meaning the quantitative approach was in full effect and 2) there was only time for a handful of unique newcomers and echoes helped bolster the overall lineup. I also think it's important to note that a significant number of cuts would go over much better if the characters that stay are mostly unique. The loss of Incin or Plant or a veteran like Sheik or Jigglypuff would be much harder to stomach if characters like Lucina and Dark Pit were to return. I think Brawl is a decent analogy for what I'd expect. It had the smallest character increase in the series, but made very smart cuts by only removing clones or characters that had an obvious replacement. With the quantity of clones/semi-clones in Ultimate you could honestly have a roster that's quite a bit smaller, but can potentially manage to feel even more "full" in comparison.

That was loftier than I intended. I guess the answer is no - I do not expect the next game to focus on quantity to the extent that Ultimate did. I do believe their will be a hefty amount of content and a large roster, but a much bigger focus on diverse playstyles and more substantive single-player content.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
As far as Ultimate (first party) vets go, here's my two cents on the matter.

GOVERNMENT MANDATED - :ultinkling: :ultisabelle:
If these two are missing, Sakurai would get gunned down in the street by the Nintendo ninjas. I mean really, be honest with yourselves.

NEW MAINSTAYS - :ultridley::ultkrool::ultpyra::ultmythra:
Major supporting characters from series with, at least for now, fairly humble representation. They're also incredibly popular, some of the most requested characters and also some of the most frequently played. At least in K. Rool and Pythra's case for the latter.

LIKELY - :ultbyleth::ultminmin
I generally don't see a reason to cut the first party DLC characters. These also happen to be two of the newest characters on the roster, which is a value asset to make sure we don't just fall back on the old guard. Min Min represents a new series and Byleth is from FE's biggest success, which is still fairly fresh. There's a possibility they're of a slightly lower priority and fall short, but not a very high one.

EXPENDABLE - :ultincineroar::ultpiranha:
Fresh, unique characters who I'd love to keep around but are simply harder to imagine coming back. Maybe their standout movesets will be enough to save them, I'm not spelling 100% doom for them but both being part of bigger series with more popular characters on the roster... I just see them being lower priority than the rest. Hope I'm wrong though, genuinely. I was just gushing about Incineroar a page ago.
I think Min Min should be in a tier of her own beween Byleth and Incineroar/Plant, she seems more of a 50/50 thing, specially if there's no arms 2.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Tangentially related to Min Min, but I hope that they revisit the design for an ARMS character in the future. It doesn't have to be Min-Min, and in fact I'd like to see Dr. Coyle as the rep, but my main concern is how literal the translation of an ARMS character was. So much of the moveset just isn't interesting because it's the same punch over and over.

"You control each arm with A and B, like in ARMS!" Okay, cool. I'm not playing ARMS. I'm playing Smash Bros. I'd like it if the long ARM punches were more reserved for specials, (it's weird how she just...doesn't have a side special) and she had more normal attacks to fill in the gaps for stuff like F-tilt, F-air, etc. She has less moves than everyone else right off the bat, and I think lately the Smash team has been a little too literal with their design philosophy in the sense that the character has to play almost 1:1 with their home game.

Making up more moves wouldn't just solve the issue of her kit being boring, but it would add depth to the character and give more potential to make any additional ARMS characters different by better showing off their personalities through different attacks.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think Min Min should be in a tier of her own beween Byleth and Incineroar/Plant, she seems more of a 50/50 thing, specially if there's no arms 2.
I don’t really think it’s that simple. Min Min’s kit is very unique (for better or worse), she’s the only character on the roster right now from a brand new current gen IP and she is the only character representing that series. Whether ARMS sees a sequel or not, it’s one of the most contemporary new additions and those are in short supply. Chances are this next Smash roster is still being built off a Switch era perspective.

Smash doesn’t operate so much on this logic you’re posing here. Sakurai did mention that consideration is taken regarding a series’ future, but with the exception of Ice Climbers for technical reasons we have never lost a first-party universe from the roster altogether so I believe this is more in respect to newcomers. ARMS 2 would better assist Min Min’s case, but it is not her entire case. And if we were to start losing “single rep” series I would expect to start losing the retro stuff before the one on the Switch.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I wonder if the fact that nobody wants Wolf cut will bode well on him at all, seems like the most consistent answer for who we don't want cut.

It makes sense for him to be lower priority, but it's possible that his ballot showing was incredibly good. He's got a strong playerbase and his reintroduction to the series was overwhelmingly positive even beyond the EIH part. He's also got quite a striking playstyle, I don't think he gets enough credit for how unique he feels to control. Not that many fighters baring their claws, surprisingly.

I think the main thing in his way is how difficult it may be to justify that all three Star Fox characters are prioritized, and Falco being more of a discernable staple, but I'd personally love if they all came back. Not counting on it myself but I'd love to have a reason to believe it.
I hope so too, Wolf has a ridiculously high player base so I'm hoping that might clutch him out with how he's the easiest of the spacies to play. It's a bit like how Cloud is the most played Swordie so that even though third party negotiations is a mystery zone for the base game, Cloud at least has a decent shot to get in the base roster.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
When Min-Min's moveset was first revealed I was like "Oh ****, it's just like ARMS!"

But then I very quickly realized that playing ARMS in Smash Bros is not very fun. At least for me.

I wouldn't mind if they made her more traditional.
"Oh ****, it's just like ARMS!" 😄
to
"Oh ****, it's just like ARMS!" 😠

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Cadet
A good way to get eyes on a new Smash with so many cuts would obviously be to just release it on Steam already, don't know why Nintendo hasn't done this yet but it is what it is.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Min Min is both unfun to play as and unfun to play against, incredible

I was cool with her inclusion at first but if she just never came back at all I'd be more than fine. They'd REALLY have to redesign her to make me satisfied.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
Whether ARMS sees a sequel or not, it’s one of the most contemporary new additions and those are in short supply. Chances are this next Smash roster is still being built off a Switch era perspective
Which would make Min Min less special, if the next game's newcomers are mostly from the switch era plus Pyra/Mythra and Byleth likely return, then they'd still have plenty of switch characters, they'll probably also add Ring Fit and Astral Chain for new IPs, and they were better recived than ARMS, so she doesnt even have the only new IP from the switch reprsented going for her anymore in that scenario.

Smash doesn’t operate so much on this logic you’re posing here. Sakurai did mention that consideration is taken regarding a series’ future, but with the exception of Ice Climbers for technical reasons we have never lost a first-party universe from the roster altogether so I believe this is more in respect to newcomers. ARMS 2 would better assist Min Min’s case, but it is not her entire case. And if we were to start losing “single rep” series I would expect to start losing the retro stuff before the one on the Switch.
The only retro character i'd see them considering cuting is R.O.B and even then i doubt they'll cut him tbh, the rest of the retro series like Punch-Out!! and Duck Hunt are too iconic to be cut, Ice Climbers was only cut for limitations and they have been playable since Melee and Kid Icarus is Sakurai's baby.
We also have like...82 fighters now compared to Smash 4's 51 base game fighters which is a lot more, so it's entirely possible they cut a first party series like ARMS or Wii Fit if they're lower priority.

7NATOR

Smash Master
So wait, how many cuts go you guys predict then? It seems a lot of the time I see Conversations about specific characters getting cut, it seems that there's most of the time Defense on why they won't get cut and that the character "Isn't going anywhere", There's characters with less defense than others, like Plant, Incineroar, and Corrin, but if people are predicting 10-20+ Cuts on the roster, I'd Imagine some of the characters will be shocking to see get cut

Noipoi

Howdy!
So wait, how many cuts go you guys predict then? It seems a lot of the time I see Conversations about specific characters getting cut, it seems that there's most of the time Defense on why they won't get cut and that the character "Isn't going anywhere", There's characters with less defense than others, like Plant, Incineroar, and Corrin, but if people are predicting 10-20+ Cuts on the roster, I'd Imagine some of the characters will be shocking to see get cut
I am not expecting 20 or so cuts. Really I only expect some replaceable first parties (like Corrin, Plant, Pichu, and Incineroar) and some third parties who won’t make the base game but will probably be dlc. Namely anyone Square Enix except Cloud and maaaybe Hero.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
IMO it's a little futile to guess how many cuts the next game will have before seeing its first trailer. We don't know what kind of direction the next game is going to take and there a lot of things the devs could do, so I'm not going to bother discussing cuts myself until then. Or at least, I'll try not to...

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
I’m expecting around 40 cut characters at most. That still leaves us with around 50. I tend to cut around 35 most when creating a new roster, with around 54 veterans remaining.

There will certainly be shocking cuts. Especially as once obvious recurring faces have their chances erode with the passage of time.

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Cadet
You should know damn well why.

They haven't put officially licensed Pokemon PC games on Steam like TCG Online/Live or even Team Turbo, why would Smash be any different?
People always joke about Smash being the real PC All-Stars Battle Royale, it only makes sense to put it on Steam.

I think if the next Smash game continues as normal and isn't a drastic reboot or anything, there would probably be like 20 unique character cuts. Who knows though.

Top Bottom