• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If I had a nickel for every time someone claimed a Grass starter was inevitable and then we didn't get it, I will have 5 nickels by the time the next Smash comes.
We've never had a Grass/Dark starter before though.

Finish the Greninja-Incineroar trilogy!

Remakes just serve no purpose now that Legends exist to offer different stories set in those regions
The Legends games serve no purpose, because everything that's good about them should just be part of the mainline games.

and I think that if they were still wanting to make remakes then we would have also announced an XY remake to come out this holiday season alongside Legends ZA.
It's not X/Y's turn to be remade yet. It's Black/White's.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Or we could just get Black and White 3. After all BDSP weren’t well received in the slightest so going for a trilogy with Unova would be best.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
BDSP sold massively well. It was received too well by proxy for Gamefreak to really consider the idea was awful.

Black/White had a good story ending with 2. There's no need to add onto the story itself. Just do longer games that combine both stories in each instead. It's a much better way to use the resources and gives even more options. Plus, even if it's more faithful than normal, that means infinite use TM's. A godsend after all. That was really the biggest issue with BDSP in itself, as the rest weren't a big deal. It wasn't trying to remake Platinum's story, and issues like bugs were going to happen for a newer company working on it anyway. Hell, it's happening in SV too, so it's not even an ICLA thing.

The only way it wouldn't be considered a success is if it had really bad sales and tons of backlash. But it didn't really have poor sales by any margin(quite the opposite) and it also didn't have nearly as much backlash as people think it did.

Last edited:

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Timing is more important than moveset potential when it comes to FE characters, for better or worse. Remember when Sakurai said that if Awakening had come out six months earlier or later, he may not have chosen Robin? Meaning he was willing to skip over the most unique FE char because he wouldn't be as recent? No matter how unique Alear is, if the timing isn't in their favor, I don't think moveset potential will save them.
I won't deny this, but I also feel there are a lot more factors in play when choosing a character and it's not as simple as reducing a character's chance to just timing. For example, Smash 6 will likely be the first game in the series to feature a significant roster cut because Sakurai essentially confirmed EiH is not happening again, so with FE likely suffering a good chunk of cuts I could see him adding an FE newcomer to make up for the massive Exodus of playable characters the series will likely have.

I'm all for considering precedence when discussing Smash Bros., but I think we can all agree that the circumstances for the next Smash game are way different than all the previous ones. We've just come out from what's pretty much the biggest crossover in gaming, so where do we go from there? Believe me when I say I'm not a fan of discussing cuts at all, but while I think Sakurai will try to bring back as many characters as possible, Smash 6 will heavily prioritize newcomers in order to make up for the significantly reduced veteran roster.

And I say this as someone who fully supported the idea of Ultimate Deluxe with just a few added newcomers, but at this point it's probably safe to say that that is no longer happening.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Speaking of Pokémon I hope next smash game get some spin off Pokémon content like at least a stage
I would like PMD or Pokémon dash or detective pikachu or Pokepark stage and the list goes on if Mario can get spin-off stages why not Pokémon as well they are the biggest franchises

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
I just realized that the Super Mario franchise turns 40 next year, just in time for the supposed launch of the Switch 2.
I may as well throw some fun thoughts for the Switch 2.

Late 2024: New 3D Mario, Metroid Prime 4, Mario Party 12

2025: Pokémon Legends Z-A, Xenoblade X DE, Animal Crossing, New Kirby, New 2D Zelda, Pokémon Gen 10, Mario 3D All-Stars Plus

2026: NSMBDS remake, Mario Tennis, Super Mario Maker 3, Super Smash Bros. 6, Mario Kart X, Pokémon Gen 5 remakes

2027: Splatoon 4, Mario Golf, New Fire Emblem, Xenoblade 2 DE, Mario Party Superstars 2

2028: Xenoblade 4, New 2D Mario, New 3D Zelda, New Paper Mario

2029: Pikmin 5

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
You dont expect Gen 9 but you were surprised gen 8 didnt get in Smash Ult?
“I’m surprised the highest-grossing franchise in the world didn’t get a character from Gen 8 at any point in the DLC” and “I understand that timing might not be on Gen 9’s side depending on when the next Smash comes out” are two statements that can co-exist.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
on the topic of pokemon remakes it is worth pointing out that gens 5 and 7 didn't get remakes with ORAS being part of gen 6 and BDSP being part of gen 8. gen hasn't been skipped in favour of kalos, if anything they'll be coming in gen 10

Stratos

Smash Ace
The games I'm considering for the next Nintendo console are the following:

New Super Mario games (a 3D Super Mario game and a 2D Super Mario Bros. game)

Luigi's Mansion 4

New Yoshi game

New Donkey Kong Country

New The Legend of Zelda game

Pokémon 10th Gen

New Metroid games (Metroid Prime 4 and a 2D Metroid game)

Xenoblade Chronicles 4

Pikmin 5

New Kirby game

Splatoon 4

Super Smash Bros. 6

Last edited:

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
I myself wonder if Odyssey DLC fell into the Galaxy 2 category where they had so many ideas that they've simply decided to go with a new game rather than adding to the first one.
Maybe it could be the opposite though. That they didn’t have enough ideas to justify any kind of expansion.

Or even that Odyssey’s groundwork would better evolve into a new game like 64 to Sunshine, rather than a direct sequel.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It's still feels surreal that they decided to skip Gen 5 and go straight to Kalos.
I think you’re crazy if you think they legitimately skipped Unova. People have been wanting Pokémon Z for years. This ain’t Super X/Y. :p

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
It is rare nowadays to get games that are complete without the need for DLC. With the exception of updates to patch any known bugs or free content.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I sure hope that if the next smash has room Bandana Dee gets added!
Like hes:
Requested
Important
and Reacuring!

And the BWD HAte seems to have shrunk significantly since smash 4 and ultimate!

Are there still any bwd Haters Left?
Back than you didnt hear the end of:
Hat goomba
he wont return
he is boring

Nowadays at most people say they would prefer someone else but a big dislike for him seems to be nonexistant!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
on the topic of pokemon remakes it is worth pointing out that gens 5 and 7 didn't get remakes with ORAS being part of gen 6 and BDSP being part of gen 8. gen hasn't been skipped in favour of kalos, if anything they'll be coming in gen 10
I think they might be coming, as a new Legends title instead.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
you mean like when we got the last legends right after the last remakes
I think that there are no remakes anymore and Legends has replaced them entirely so that they can explore new stories in these regions and not just tell the same old stories over and over again. I don't think that BDSP was even meant to exist at all.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think that there are no remakes anymore and Legends has replaced them entirely so that they can explore new stories in these regions and not just tell the same old stories over and over again. I don't think that BDSP was even meant to exist at all.
do you have any evidence or is it just a gut feeling?

Noipoi

Howdy!
You sure do think a lot of things won’t happen :090:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I do feel like people overstate how bad BDSP actually is

Like it is just a 1-to-1 remake of some average games, It isn't the worst game on the Switch or a horrible stain on Nintendo. It just exists. Which to some may actually be worse, but I just do not think it is bad enough to have spawned all the discourse it has.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Like it is just a 1-to-1 remake of some average games, It isn't the worst game on the Switch or a horrible stain on Nintendo. It just exists. Which to some may actually be worse, but I just do not think it is bad enough to have spawned all the discourse it has.
The issue, I think, is that it didn't do what all the previous remakes did. Which was remaking the old game to the same standard as current games.

But instead of making it like Sw/Sh, they opted to do a weird Link's Awakening remake thing, which makes the game look less impressive than the previous remakes of R/S.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
The issue, I think, is that it didn't do what all the previous remakes did. Which was remaking the old game to the same standard as current games.

But instead of making it like Sw/Sh, they opted to do a weird Link's Awakening remake thing, which makes the game look less impressive than the previous remakes of R/S.
I was certianly disappointed that BDSP Wasn't a 3DS style remake so I absolutely get that. But then Legends Arceus became my favorite pokemon game so my disappointment was severely cut.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
What do you guys think it'll take to finally get a Zelda newcomer?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Either Sakurai deciding to revisit adding Toon Zelda and "Toon Sheik" (who quite possibly was actually Tetra) like with Brawl, or the series establishing another character as more of a mainstay of sorts. There's no "rule" saying that non-Triforce wielders won't ever be added, but at this rate, with recurring characters like Impa and Skull Kid, other incarnations of Zelda like Tetra, and even popular major characters from games that were new around the release of past Smash games like Midna, Zant, Ghirahim and all of the Champions always being passed over, I'm not especially hopeful for any new major Zelda characters to be added, because aside from Ganondorf, the only other newcomers it's ever gotten thus far are different incarnations of Link and an alter-ego of Zelda.

Well, a different director taking the helm might also change things, but it also might not.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
High fan demand that pulls the character ahead of the pack similar to K. Rool or Ridley with their series, or a breakout character with a potentially strong hook for a moveset similar to Rosalina.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Android 21 obviously isn't eligible. Throw her, Starkiller, or even Air Dog from NBA Jam out of the conversation. Now, let's get back to a real topic of conversation: how eligible are software, apps, digital pets, pinball games, ticket games, arcade mascots, and all that? We know a peripheral can make it to the game, after all. At least, if it's owned by Nintendo, anyways. Hanafuda could probably be added, but most likely not Rich Uncle Pennybags (sadly) or Ajani Goldmane. But chess is public domain, really, they could add it at any given time.
How about Electro-Mechanical arcade games? (unless that counts as ticket games)
Imagine a Periscope machine as a Sega rep.

Top Bottom