• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Gen 10 is probably gonna come out in late 2025, going by the precedent of Legends Arceus and Scarlet/Violet. It kinda lines up perfectly with being kinda close to the Switch 2 launch (rumored March 2025) but far away enough to let earlier titles breathe.

Smash on the other hand is looking to be a holiday 2026 title at the earliest, with the Studio S rumors and Sakurai's putting an end to his YT channel and confirming he's working on games late last year.

Gen 10 is perfectly set up for a rep in the next Smash. And no it wouldn't be a "Roy situation", it'd be a Greninja situation.
Some people have been saying that Gen 10 is instead coming out in 2026 for the franchise's 30th anniversary that will be celebrated that year.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
but creature design isn't one of them
ehhhhhhhh

I really think Gen 9 took a big nosedive in this regard. That's the other 50% of the reason I don't want a Gen 9 Pokemon, if by some miracle we get something that isn't Meowscarada, what it'll be is still something with a meh design that forgets Pokemon are supposed to be creatures, not characters.

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
ehhhhhhhh

I really think Gen 9 took a big nosedive in this regard. That's the other 50% of the reason I don't want a Gen 9 Pokemon, if by some miracle we get something that isn't Meowscarada, what it'll be is still something with a meh design that forgets Pokemon are supposed to be creatures, not characters.
Agreed except for the part that says Meowscarada is likely. Gen 9 missed its chance y'all, let's get with the program!
Some people have been saying that Gen 10 is instead coming out in 2026 for the franchise's 30th anniversary that will be celebrated that year.
Now let's see... what matters more? Arbitrary fan theories or actual precedent?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Agreed except for the part that says Meowscarada is likely
Meowscarada is likely if we get something from Gen 9.

And even if Gen 9 missed the boat, it's easier to discuss characters (which should be, well, creatures not characters) that we already know exist. All we can discuss about Gen 10 Pokemon is "Gee, a Gen 10 Pokemon sure would be...a Pokemon from games we don't have the names of".

Noipoi

Howdy!
Gen 10 is probably gonna come out in late 2025, going by the precedent of Legends Arceus and Scarlet/Violet. It kinda lines up perfectly with being kinda close to the Switch 2 launch (rumored March 2025) but far away enough to let earlier titles breathe.

Eeeeeeehhhhhh I wouldn't call that a precedent setter just yet.

You see, Scarlet/Violet was always planned for holiday 2022. And inbetween BDSP being set for a holiday 2021 release, they needed somewhere to put Legends Arceus. And what's important to note here is that, because of Pokemon day and the way they announce new games, PLA could NOT release any later than February 27th 2022. You can't just release a game while you're in the middle of hyping up another one. Well they could, but it'd be really weird and confuse both the marketing and the consumers. So with all that said there was really only one month PLA could drop in, January.

The circumstances are different now, and I personally feel like Legends Z-A will arrive somewhere around March/April-ish. Should this be the case, gen 10 would not see release next year. Which serendipitously would allow it to release during the 30th anniversary of the franchise in 2026, and TPC has a history of dropping new generations on 10-year anniversaries. They've done it every time.

So I'm not betting on two Pokemon games releasing next year, it was probably a fluke due to awkward release scheduling. Not the new precedent.

Of course I could be totally wrong, but as a Pokemon Master I'm confident in my thought process :nifty:

Last edited:

superprincess

Smash Journeyman

Eeeeeeehhhhhh I wouldn't call that a precedent setter just yet.

You see, Scarlet/Violet was always planned for holiday 2022. And inbetween BDSP being set for a holiday 2021 release, they needed somewhere to put Legends Arceus. And what's important to note here is that, because of Pokemon day and the way they announce new games, PLA could NOT release any later than February 27th 2022. You can't just release a game while you're in the middle of hyping up another one. Well they could, but it'd be really weird and confuse both the marketing and the consumers. So with all that said there was really only one month PLA could drop in, January.

The circumstances are different now, and I personally feel like Legends Z-A will arrive somewhere around March/April-ish. Should this be the case, gen 10 would not see release next year. Which serendipitously would allow it to release during the 30th anniversary of the franchise in 2026, and TPC has a history of dropping new generations on 10-year anniversaries. They've done it every time.

So I'm not betting on two Pokemon games releasing next year, it was probably a fluke due to awkward release scheduling. Not the new precedent.

Of course I could be totally wrong, but as a Pokemon Master I'm confident in my thought process :nifty:
Ehhh I still think LZA and Gen 10 can comfortably be released in the same year. They had no issue releasing mainline Mario games with less than a year gap in the 3DS, so they can just as easily do the same thing with Pokémon. Which they have done on the Switch too. The anniversary doesn't change much, hitting the shelves during the holiday season is muchhh more valuable than celebrating an anniversary that only hardcore fans will be tuned in to.

And also the fact that they've consistently released a new generation of Pokemon every 3 years for the last decade is proof enough for me that Gen 10 will be released in late 2025. It's just what I believe will happen based on the facts, and I don't really care if I'm proven wrong because I don't care about Pokemon.

I just realized that the Super Mario franchise turns 40 next year, just in time for the supposed launch of the Switch 2.
With or without the anniversary, a new 3D Mario is long overdue. Hopefully it's a launch title, and hopefully it strikes a balance between the 64/Sunshine/Odyssey and Galaxy/3D World style. Also I wouldn't say it's "just in time", as the console is rumored to be releasing in March whereas Super Mario Bros. turns 40 in September.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Ehhh I still think LZA and Gen 10 can comfortably be released in the same year. They had no issue releasing mainline Mario games with less than a year gap in the 3DS, so they can just as easily do the same thing with Pokémon. Which they have done on the Switch too. The anniversary doesn't change much, hitting the shelves during the holiday season is muchhh more valuable than celebrating an anniversary that only hardcore fans will be tuned in to.

And also the fact that they've consistently released a new generation of Pokemon every 3 years for the last decade is proof enough for me that Gen 10 will be released in late 2025. It's just what I believe will happen based on the facts, and I don't really care if I'm proven wrong because I don't care about Pokemon.
Well I’ll care when I’m proven right and I will do a victory dance with a sufficient amount of pointing and/or laughing
:4wario2:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I just realized that the Super Mario franchise turns 40 next year, just in time for the supposed launch of the Switch 2.
Yep, and with that Statement, I would like to throw out My Predictions for the timing of Switch 2's Big Releases (and Cross Switch Releases)

Metroid Prime 4: Late 2024 (Cross Platform)

New Donkey Kong Country: Late 2024 (Cross Platform)

3D Mario: Launch Title 2025

Mario Kart X: Launch Title 2025

Pokemon Legends Z-A: Launch Title 2025 (Cross Platfrom)

Pokemon Gen 5 Remakes: Late 2025

Super Smash Bros X: Late 2025

Animal Crossing: Early 2026

Pokemon Gen 10: Late 2026

Splatoon 4: 2027

Legend of Zelda: 2027

Luigi's Mansion 4: 2027

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Just in time for a new 3D Mario :yoshi:
1710635108260.png

It's been SEVEN years since Odyssey??

To my understanding, the 3D Mario team always has something cooking up, usually starting right after the release of a previous 3D Mario. I'm pretty confident that they'll reveal a new one as either a launch title or holiday release for the Switch 2. There's no way that a Switch 2 release happens without the knowledge of a new 3D Mario as well, it's the easiest slam dunk in the world.

Noipoi

Howdy!
View attachment 386571

It's been SEVEN years since Odyssey??

To my understanding, the 3D Mario team always has something cooking up, usually starting right after the release of a previous 3D Mario. I'm pretty confident that they'll reveal a new one as either a launch title or holiday release for the Switch 2. There's no way that a Switch 2 release happens without the knowledge of a new 3D Mario as well, it's the easiest slam dunk in the world.
Oh It’s definitely coming, I have no concerns about that. As soon as we see that new console the plumber will be right there.

I’m still baffled we never got an Odyssey 2, though.

Last edited:

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Oh It’s definitely coming, I have no concerns about that. As soon as we see that new console the plumber will be right there.

I’m still baffled we never got an Odyssey 2, though.
I hope this next one is Odyssey 2. Odyssey really wowed me around every corner and was just like a canister of happiness I could open whenever I wanted.

One of the memories of that game I'll never forget is entering the Lake Kingdom for the first time and being like, "WOAAAHHH". My favorite part of Odyssey is how they were able to get so many unique stage themes into one game (Lost Kingdom is my favorite for obvious reasons) and I really feel like they could push that further with a sequel.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I hope this next one is Odyssey 2. Odyssey really wowed me around every corner and was just like a canister of happiness I could open whenever I wanted.

One of the memories of that game I'll never forget is entering the Lake Kingdom for the first time and being like, "WOAAAHHH". My favorite part of Odyssey is how they were able to get so many unique stage themes into one game (Lost Kingdom is my favorite for obvious reasons) and I really feel like they could push that further with a sequel.
At this point I think they'll go for something different, in the middle of Odyssey and Bowser's Fury. Maybe a fully open world?

I mean either way it's gonna be incredible, but y'know :drshrug:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Yep, and with that Statement, I would like to throw out My Predictions for the timing of Switch 2's Big Releases (and Cross Switch Releases)

Metroid Prime 4: Late 2024 (Cross Platform)

New Donkey Kong Country: Late 2024 (Cross Platform)

3D Mario: Launch Title 2025

Mario Kart X: Launch Title 2025

Pokemon Legends Z-A: Launch Title 2025 (Cross Platfrom)

Pokemon Gen 5 Remakes: Late 2025

Super Smash Bros X: Late 2025

Animal Crossing: Early 2026

Pokemon Gen 10: Late 2026

Splatoon 4: 2027

Legend of Zelda: 2027

Luigi's Mansion 4: 2027
I think that there are no more Pokémon remakes. I think that they're dead and Legends has replaced them.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
We're getting close to 8 years with no new Star Fox and it's been 10 years since there was a new Donkey Kong Country.

Even with 3D Mario's status as Nintendo's golden goose, 7 years without one doesn't really surprise me.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I think that there are no more Pokémon remakes. I think that they're dead and Legends has replaced them.

We probably will be getting all Three. Legends, Remakes, and the Main Series games. ICLA, the Company that worked on the Gen 4 Remakes (And hopefully they learned their lesson from those remakes) will probably be doing them from now on while Pokemon Company works on Legends and Main Series

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

We probably will be getting all Three. Legends, Remakes, and the Main Series games. ICLA, the Company that worked on the Gen 4 Remakes (And hopefully they learned their lesson from those remakes) will probably be doing them from now on while Pokemon Company works on Legends and Main Series
Remakes just serve no purpose now that Legends exist to offer different stories set in those regions, and I think that if they were still wanting to make remakes then we would have also announced an XY remake to come out this holiday season alongside Legends ZA.

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
Where exactly are y'all getting the idea that Smash will be releasing in 2025? Smash has been a "year 2 going into year 3" release for three console cycles now.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Where exactly are y'all getting the idea that Smash will be releasing in 2025? Smash has been a "year 2 going into year 3" release for three console cycles now.
Said it before, but just because Sakurai said the next Smash might be ten years away in 2018 doesn't mean development on the next Smash couldn't have started a while ago. It's not like what's going on at Studio S is "Congratulations! You've been chosen to work on the next Smash game! But if you start working on it right now, it'll be ready before late 2028, and Sakurai once said that'll be when the next Smash could come out. So...do nothing until December 2025."

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Remakes make a lot of sense. They bring in players to nostalgia and redo the previous region, while also bringing many Pokemon who weren't in the latest Gen back into the mix(even if they don't combine with said normal new games). So it still gives a lot to various players.

This isn't something Legends does. And obviously Let's Go is its own thing too. It's not perfect, but quite nice to see classic games remade. It's only D/P that had somewhat poor remakes(they sold well, but they clearly tried too hard to replicate the originals, in many poor ways).

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
Said it before, but just because Sakurai said the next Smash might be ten years away in 2018 doesn't mean development on the next Smash couldn't have started a while ago. It's not like what's going on at Studio S is "Congratulations! You've been chosen to work on the next Smash game! But if you start working on it right now, it'll be ready before late 2028, and Sakurai once said that'll be when the next Smash could come out. So...do nothing until December 2025."
I don't recall Sakurai ever saying that so your point is moot.

I'm pretty convinced the project proposal for SSB6 was crafted late 2023, which means the game will come out in mid to late 2026 at the earliest.

Also, if they're comfortable going 7 years without a new 3D Mario and damn near 10 years without a new 2D one, I'm pretty sure Smash can take a longer break. Nobody said it gotta be 10 years, but I feel like 8 years is justified considering how full Ultimate was and how (presumably) much work this next one will have to do to surpass it.

There's also the fact that recently Nintendo seems lax with deadlines on their AAA titles like Mario and Zelda, so Smash could take that route too. We really shouldn't be expecting it before 2026.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Remakes just serve no purpose now that Legends exist to offer different stories set in those regions, and I think that if they were still wanting to make remakes then we would have also announced an XY remake to come out this holiday season alongside Legends ZA.
It's still feels surreal that they decided to skip Gen 5 and go straight to Kalos.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Think of it this way. The Legends game will be the Return to Gen 6, so in a way that's that Generation's Remake for this current system(s) but The Remake will be focused on Gen 5 since Legends is focusing on Gen 6

I'm also taking into Account that according to Rumors, This New Switch was Delayed from Late 2024 to Early 2025, so that would kind of Mean originally that if Smash were coming out Late 2025, it would be the 2nd year technically

Anyway I'm personally on the Opinion that we are getting the Next Smash earlier than alot of people think. I see people thinking we'll get the game in 2026 -2027, some even thinking it could be a 2028 game. I could see 2026 at the Latest, but I do think Development on the Next Smash might be kind of far along Already. 2023-2025 Might be when Full Scale Development can be Accomplished since Tekken 8 is Done, So Alot more focus can be done on this Next Smash.

But we do know that there were about 50 People Working on that New Engine that's being used for the Next Smash game around Early 2022, So I'm thinking that they planned to make sure Smash comes Earlier for this New System rather than Later

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
It's still feels surreal that they decided to skip Gen 5 and go straight to Kalos.
On the one hand I'm glad B/W didn't get half-baked remakes and Kalos is actually getting something potentially cool. On the other, despite enjoying Legends Arceus, I am worried the overall quality of ZA is going to continue being pretty low as has become standard for Pokémon sadly.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don't recall Sakurai ever saying that so your point is moot.
"Masahiro Sakurai thinks that "we’d be fine waiting about 10 years until the next one.""

Well it's not the same thing, but either way they don't have to force the new Smash team (if one's already formed) to sit around and do nothing until December 2025 so the game can be in development for 3 years and finish when Ultimate's 10 years old.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
So I know people do think Alear and Fire Emblem Engage can be skipped for the Smash 6 roster, and I could see that happening, but I will say that I think Alear's Potential can be underestimated. The Fact that they can be more Hand to Hand and use Martial Arts, as well as being able to use the Engage Mechanic could be interesting. I'd also think if they go with the Engage Mechanic, they would go for the Lords and Characters Exclusive to Engage itself instead of using Lords from Other games
I really feel that despite the timing not being good compared to previous FE characters, Alear's moveset potential has a lot going for them, which could make or break their inclusion in Smash 6. I feel it's entirely down as to whether Sakurai and the dev team feel they can do something unique or interesting with them.

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
I really feel that despite the timing not being good compared to previous FE characters, Alear's moveset potential has a lot going for them, which could make or break their inclusion in Smash 6. I feel it's entirely down as to whether Sakurai and the dev team feel they can do something unique or interesting with them.
Timing is more important than moveset potential when it comes to FE characters, for better or worse. Remember when Sakurai said that if Awakening had come out six months earlier or later, he may not have chosen Robin? Meaning he was willing to skip over the most unique FE char because he wouldn't be as recent? No matter how unique Alear is, if the timing isn't in their favor, I don't think moveset potential will save them.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Probably because that's not actually what they did. The Legends games are an entirely separate thing from the line of remakes.
Gen 5 remakes would still possibly make sense to happen at some point. Regardless, it's not "skipping" gen 5, as there was never an established ordering for the Legends games to begin with. Afaik it's not even known if the first one being Sinnoh is merely coincidental in timing relative to BDSP.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'm still a Meowscarada supporter even if a Gen 9 Pokemon is unlikely to get in the next Smash game to begin with.

More than anything, I was just shocked that there wasn't a Gen 8 Pokemon among the DLC line-up in Ultimate. I doubt it's divisiveness had anything to do with it, though. Even the second Fighter's Pass DLC's development was likely already well underway by the time SwSh released.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I'm still a Meowscarada supporter even if a Gen 9 Pokemon is unlikely to get in the next Smash game to begin with.

More than anything, I was just shocked that there wasn't a Gen 8 Pokemon among the DLC line-up in Ultimate. I doubt it's divisiveness had anything to do with it, though. Even the second Fighter's Pass DLC's development was likely already well underway by the time SwSh released.
You dont expect Gen 9 but you were surprised gen 8 didnt get in Smash Ult?

Top Bottom