• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I'm an advocate for this too. I'm not gonna open the can of worms by saying distinctly that Eggman works BETTER as a boss
I am.

Qaulity, Not Quantity but I argue that outside the classic era, there isn't really anything at all.
There's a bunch of music. Which is the best part of modern Sonic anyway.

Castlevania got 2 characters right out the gate.
A Fighter and an Echo. Don't exaggerate.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I'm an advocate for this too. I'm not gonna open the can of worms by saying distinctly that Eggman works BETTER as a boss, but I think it would be a satisfactory role for him and characters like Tails or Knuckles would be strong fighters in their own right. Many of Eggman's most iconic attacks and gadgets just work nicely on that large scale and I think it would do him a great amount of justice, so I'm very much in support.

I think if anything it's pretty criminal this hasn't happened already, moreso than simply not having a second Sonic character.
I would have him both as a fighter and a boss.

Pretty much how we have Giga Bowser and Bowser himself as well Ganon.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Bowser and Ganondorf have no issues throwing hands with their foes. Eggman is always riding something.

Eggman is more of a Dr. Wily than a Bowser.
I’d be scared too if I was about to get my ass whipped by a ************ that’s faster than light and can destroy planets. Being a coward in the final ten seconds of the game shouldn’t disqualify you.

Remember when we took the L for saying Isabelle was just a pacifist secretary? I’m not taking another one.

:iwatadirect: We are pissing on the moon.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
But I want a character that actually is a cowboy. I want a real yeehaw guy. Do people still like Dillon?
Well... I do.

I think it'd be cool if Street fighter got more songs and a similar treatment to KOF, where said songs are from games that take place in the same universe as SF, like Rival schools, Strider and Final fight.
REALLY hoping that ends up being the case...

Louie G.

Smash Hero
My major hangup with Dr. Eggman honestly has very little to do with his feasibility. I'm sure they could make him work, I would love to see them try. I do however believe that Tails, Knuckles and Shadow offer similarly viable options for a second character, already have some meaningful presence in the game and have been requested about a decade longer than Eggman has. And would, in addition. presumably be easier to conceptualize and develop off an existing base.

Granted, Dr. Eggman is not a character who really needs fan support. It's a no brainer that he is a popular and important character, but in Sonic's case I believe a new fighter would be heavily influenced by that persistent fan demand. The other three have been far more prevalent in discussion since Brawl up until Sephiroth was revealed, and I'm not sure we've had enough time since then for the tides to shift so dramatically where Eggman has become the clear crowd pleaser. Compared to say... Knuckles, who was already a Mii Costume in Smash 4 and added as an AT in Ultimate. That latter promotion tells me he must have done pretty well on the ballot, and he's been having a really great few years to boot. It's easy to get tunnel vision about who was immediately popular during the tail end of Ultimate, but Eggman's time in the sun was relatively brief.

My personal prediction would be Tails, with a mix of modest support dating back to Brawl, distinct moveset potential with his twin tails and seniority over the other two I mentioned. But Knuckles and Shadow have been just as heavily a part of the conversation if not moreso, especially Shadow since so many people were backing him as an echo fighter. And then Knuckles demonstrably for the reasons I mentioned in the last paragraph.

Which is where I will say Eggman would still make a great boss, and it would be a nice spread of content to have a new fighter from the batch I mentioned alongside a brand new boss character. If we got Sonic, Tails and/or Knuckles and then a really well fleshed out Eggman boss fight I think many people would be satisfied. But if they opted to add him as a playable character instead... well, I'd be really happy, because I like Dr. Eggman. Who doesn't?

Remember when we took the L for saying Isabelle was just a pacifist secretary?
...We?

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'll round out the trifecta and say Knuckles has always been my favorite... athough I'm not 100% sure whether he would be the most interesting choice for Smash. I'm sure his glide and potentially some sort of digging attack would make him distinct, and he'd probably be satisfying to throw around big stupid punches with. I feel like Tails and Eggman would probably be more mechanically fresh, though. Particularly I wonder if Tails could implement some greater form of air mobility, like a special air dash or an extended float with aerial smash attacks? I think we're overdue for a character with more of a true flight state.

I don't care about Shadow that much, he'd be fine. Would probably like to see him fleshed out to at least semi-clone status, I always had a few reservations about him being an echo fighter but I suppose it could work if they wanted to.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
All I’m hearing is WiFi Tails stalling all match
Counterpoint: On crappy wi-fi, the lag spikes will mean your inputs have an even greater chance of flying into the blast zone :4pacman:

Realistically Tails' flight would most certainly be nerfed a bit to keep him from melting the game balance. It's just that he's too busted in the games to not bring up

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Counterpoint: On crappy wi-fi, the lag spikes will mean your inputs have an even greater chance of flying into the blast zone :4pacman:
No way. That never happens, the WiFi warrior is gifted in spamming, camping, and abusing good recoveries.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Wild to think that the Switch 2 is releasing this year. I mean, it isn't official, but everyone knows it's happening. The Nintendo Switch feels, paradoxically, both fresh and ancient. I remember the first time I played it like it was yesterday, but that was seven years ago - I was in middle school then, now I'm in college. Mario Odessey is about as old now as Galaxy 2 was when the former released. I've probably spent more time playing Ultimate than both versions of 4 combined (which is saying something). God, time is wild.

Melodrama aside, what unrevealed games do we think we're getting this year? Either for the switch 2 or the original. If I had to lay down a few predictions...

• Genealogy of the Holy War remake (Switch 1)
  • Heart Gold/Soul Silver remakes (Switch 1)
  • Metroid Prime IV (Maybe on Switch 1, definitely on Switch 2)
  • A new Animal Crossing (Switch 2)
  • A new 3D Mario (Switch 2)

Geno Boost

Smash Master
There is something I don’t see people asking for but if Microsoft remains part smash I want to see actual windows content in next smash in base game remember that content such as pictochat and miiverse were added opens a door for something like windows xp stage and Microsoft entertainment pack content such as minesweeper or skiifree or even Clippy and Microsoft agents
Think of windows stage works like Warioware stage but opens panels so you play something then goes back to desktop
Which 5 Microsoft reps are most likely to join next?

Mine would be...

Master Chief

Crash

Dragonborn

Doom Slayer

Overwatch rep, most likely Tracer
Same as yours except overwatch didn’t Nintendo have beef with overwatch few years ago?

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Same as yours except overwatch didn’t Nintendo have beef with overwatch few years ago?
No they didn't? As far as I'm aware, they didn't have any issues with Activision or Overwatch.

Are we sure we aren't thinking about the Samus and Fortnite thing, where they simply refused to allow Samus in Fortnite?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Being a coward in the final ten seconds of the game shouldn’t disqualify you.
Being a Boss in a giant mech is not being disqualified. It's just different than being a Fighter.

Remember when we took the L for saying Isabelle was just a pacifist secretary?
Isabelle didn't have the benefit of making way more sense as a Boss.

Though, that's certainly no guarantee. Ridley made way more sense as a Boss and still ended up becoming a Fighter.

Which 5 Microsoft reps are most likely to join next?
Wishlist:
1. Rash/Zitz [Battletoads]
2. Kerrigan [StarCraft]
3. Doom Slayer [Doom]
4. Illidan [Warcraft]
5. Corvo [Dishonored]

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
That's assuming the Rabbids would even be playable characters (which I don't expect).
As much as I think Rayman will be the first playable rep from Ubisoft, I wouldn't totally count out some form of rabbids getting in eventually as well. That plus the fact they're considered separate franchises now, I think it would be best to just make Rayman's symbol something strictly from his games

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Wild to think that the Switch 2 is releasing this year. I mean, it isn't official, but everyone knows it's happening. The Nintendo Switch feels, paradoxically, both fresh and ancient. I remember the first time I played it like it was yesterday, but that was seven years ago - I was in middle school then, now I'm in college. Mario Odessey is about as old now as Galaxy 2 was when the former released. I've probably spent more time playing Ultimate than both versions of 4 combined (which is saying something). God, time is wild.

Melodrama aside, what unrevealed games do we think we're getting this year? Either for the switch 2 or the original. If I had to lay down a few predictions...

• Genealogy of the Holy War remake (Switch 1)
  • Heart Gold/Soul Silver remakes (Switch 1)
  • Metroid Prime IV (Maybe on Switch 1, definitely on Switch 2)
  • A new Animal Crossing (Switch 2)
  • A new 3D Mario (Switch 2)
If the Switch 2 really is coming out this year I'm not expecting any new major Switch 1 games. It just doesn't make sense to release games for an older system when you're trying to sell a new system.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Which 3 sega reps are the most likely for the next smash bros.
I think another character from the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise is likely in which I think Dr. Eggman could be a candidate (although I could see Shadow possibly work as an echo fighter.)

If there were other candidates I would like to see, maybe Beat from Jet Set Radio or someone from Virtua Fighter.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If the Switch 2 really is coming out this year I'm not expecting any new major Switch 1 games. It just doesn't make sense to release games for an older system when you're trying to sell a new system.
Tell that to every 3DS game released from the back half of 2016-2019.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
When it comes to female video game characters, it's always somewhat puzzles me why Alis Landale never seem to get the same amount of recognition as them. She was one of the earliest ones, having debuted before Chun-Li and Lara Croft and, unlike Samus, was always seen as a female from the start.
Maybe its cause Phantasy star is relatively Obscure when it comes to the main stream!

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Happy New Year, eveybody!

Maybe its cause Phantasy star is relatively Obscure when it comes to the main stream!
Maybe but heck, I've heard about Phantasy Star for years and the only SEGA console I owned was the Dreamcast (unless people count the mini consoles).

I see Alis as like SEGA's equivalent to Nintendo's Samus in some ways. The way they get recognition is also just really strange too.

Samus is recognized as one of the most iconic female characters in video games, yet in her first appearance, people weren't even supposed to know she was female until at the end of the game.

Then there's Alis, a female protagonist that's meant to contrast with the male protagonists in RPGs and most other games, but doesn't get enough recognition for being one.

As much as I think Rayman will be the first playable rep from Ubisoft, I wouldn't totally count out some form of rabbids getting in eventually as well. That plus the fact they're considered separate franchises now, I think it would be best to just make Rayman's symbol something strictly from his games
Whatever his symbol would be, I just don't think the monster would be it. I remember the fake picture back during Smash 4 and while I never believed it anyway, the one thing that really stood out to me was the symbol. I saw it being used again in that video and I just can't picture that being it. At least the Rabbid's head seem more recognizable and was even part of Rayman's name in the logo.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Tell that to every 3DS game released from the back half of 2016-2019.
Although home consoles are a different beast, and what you said actually led to a studio (AlphaDream) going bankrupt and shutting down.

Noipoi

Howdy!
To use an example from the series I know best, Pokemon always releases games on the older system months or even years into the new system's lifespan. BW2 dropped while the 3DS was a year old, USUM dropped months after the Switch...It's something they get crap for every generation. I wouldn't be surprised if we get Legends: Ducklett on the old model even when the Super Switch is fast approaching.

Yes, yes, take a shot whenever Noipoi mentions Pokemon.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
To use an example from the series I know best, Pokemon always releases games on the older system months or even years into the new system's lifespan. BW2 dropped while the 3DS was a year old, USUM dropped months after the Switch...It's something they get crap for every generation. I wouldn't be surprised if we get Legends: Ducklett on the old model even when the Super Switch is fast approaching.

Yes, yes, take a shot whenever Noipoi mentions Pokemon.
Although this might not happen anymore due to the games now being on a home console.

Top Bottom