• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Is Overwatch still relevant these days? I thought the sequel wasn’t received nearly as well as the first game. Personally I’d prefer they go with something with a bit more legacy behind it like WarCraft, StarCraft, or Diablo. That’s just my personal preference though.

My top five most wanted Microsoft characters would be:

Rash/Pimle/Zitz (Battletoads)
Fulgore (Killer Instinct)
Joanna Dark (Perfect Dark)
Illidan Stormrage (WarCraft)
Sarah Kerrigan (StarCraft)
Yes, it's still getting new heroes. It's more relevant than Starcraft at the very least. And enough time has already passed for Overwatch, so it's not that new. And, it's still easy to find Japanese players.

And I said prediction, not wishlist. Otherwise, I would've just limited to just one choice.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Let's make a list for fun.

What once dormant IPs came back for the Switch?

Off the bat, I can think of F-Zero, Famicom Detective Club, Advance Wars and Trace Memory/Another Code. How many revivals have their been? Let's also include spinoffs like New Pokemon Snap.
I think that pretty much wraps up Nintendo franchises.

Surprisingly, quite a bunch of dormant Sega franchises came back during the Switch's stay. Streets of Rage, Panzer Dragoon, Alex Kidd, Samba de Amigo, Wonder Boy and House of the Dead if not counting the Arcade-only release.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
That doesn't look like a Lum to me. It looked more like one of the enemies, like the Darktoons.
The icon they're using is based on the modern design from the UbiArt Rayman games. Starting with Origins, the Lums look like this now:
1704173569916.png

Screenshot 2024-01-02 003311.png
I personally like the idea of using a Lum as a series icon for Rayman, but as an alternative, I thought of maybe using a silhouette of Rayman himself as the icon.
Here's a hastily made mockup.
Screenshot 2024-01-02 004051.png

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
The icon they're using is based on the modern design from the UbiArt Rayman games. Starting with Origins, the Lums look like this now:
I personally like the idea of using a Lum as a series icon for Rayman, but as an alternative, I thought of maybe using a silhouette of Rayman himself as the icon.
Here's a hastily made mockup.
Okay, well that's more clear. It's been a while since I played the Rayman games.

Though still, I'm not sure if they would be the symbol for the series. My personal idea is his hand when he does the peace sign...which, funny enough, still kinda looks like a Rabbid's head in silhouette.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master

Surprisingly, quite a bunch of dormant Sega franchises came back during the Switch's stay. Streets of Rage, Panzer Dragoon, Alex Kidd, Samba de Amigo, Wonder Boy and House of the Dead if not counting the Arcade-only release.
Wonder boy is owned by sega?

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
hear me out:
1704196732069.png

As a new Zelda Character?
I mean shes basically comparable to whispy, kracko or king buu when it comes to her status in the zelda series!
Also shes a really unique female Character!
Granted she could also be a boss maybe her marbled version?

Also **** Explosives my left ear hurts because of that ****!

UserKev

Smash Champion

Off the bat, I can think of F-Zero, Famicom Detective Club, Advance Wars and Trace Memory/Another Code. How many revivals have their been? Let's also include spinoffs like New Pokemon Snap.
Pokemon Stadium 3, I really need that again. I want to use rental Pokémon again. Y'know, full evolved Pokemon with laughable move pools. Staring at the select screen for hours deciding on what Pokemon to use. The satisfaction of unusually beating tough battles based on real luck. I want that feel again. Pokemon Stadium taught me what actually winning in Pokemon feels like.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Pokemon Stadium 3, I really need that again. I want to use rental Pokémon again. Y'know, full evolved Pokemon with laughable move pools. Staring at the select screen for hours deciding on what Pokemon to use. The satisfaction of unusually beating tough battles based on real luck. I want that feel again. Pokemon Stadium taught me what actually winning in Pokemon feels like.
the question was what IPs came back not which you want to see come back

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
hear me out:
View attachment 382381
As a new Zelda Character?
I mean shes basically comparable to whispy, kracko or king buu when it comes to her status in the zelda series!
Also shes a really unique female Character!

Also ** Explosives my left ear hurts because of that **!
I see a stage hazard in an Inside the Great Deku Tree stage in the Gohma’s future. I honestly have no clue about as a character but it’s a fun idea.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Same here. My favorite feature was the ability to store all of our fully raised Pokémon on the game so my friends and I could play locally together on the same game. It also allowed us to play against teams of our own Pokémon, which we haven’t really been able to do since. Stadium would be a great way to bring back all existing Pokemon and battle gimmicks and improve the animations since they don’t really have to build a big world to explore. The announcer also added a lot of fun to the battles.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Same here. My favorite feature was the ability to store all of our fully raised Pokémon on the game so my friends and I could play locally together on the same game. It also allowed us to play against teams of our own Pokémon, which we haven’t really been able to do since. Stadium would be a great way to bring back all existing Pokemon and battle gimmicks and improve the animations since they don’t really have to build a big world to explore. The announcer also added a lot of fun to the battles.
Although Stadium is probably never returning. The main series rendered it completely redundant.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
The big ones for me were getting a new Ghosts 'n Goblins and Contra game.

River City wasn't completely dormant, since it'd had 3DS games. But they put out a ton of games on the Switch.

I would say Gohma would only make sense as a Boss.

But even then, Boss slots are so limited, I have no interest in seeing series get multiple Bosses. And Zelda already has Ganon.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Although Stadium is probably never returning. The main series rendered it completely redundant.
I think the fact that not every Pokémon returns in the mainline games is a good enough reason for the Stadium games to come back. Just a way to battle with every Pokémon along with toggles for all previous gimmicks like Megas, Z moves, Dynamax, and Terrastalizing would be great. Add in the potential for improved visuals, storage, and mini games and I think they still have a lot to offer personally.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Yeah, the main draw of the Stadium series was "Oooh, I can have Pokemon battles in 3D on my home console!" Well that's in the main games now, so a Stadium doesn't serve much of a purpose anymore.

I think the fact that not every Pokémon returns in the mainline games is a good enough reason for the Stadium games to come back. Just a way to battle with every Pokémon along with toggles for all previous gimmicks like Megas, Z moves, Dynamax, and Terrastalizing would be great.
Stadium gameplay should be made part of Pokemon Home. You should be able to do all your Vs. battling through Home, where you actually have access to your entire collection of Pokemon.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Yeah, the main draw of the Stadium series was "Oooh, I can have Pokemon battles in 3D on my home console!" Well that's in the main games now, so a Stadium doesn't serve much of a purpose anymore.

Stadium gameplay should be made part of Pokemon Home. You should be able to do all your Vs. battling through Home, were you actually have access to your entire collection of Pokemon.
That’s actually not a bad idea as long as it has the same relative production values of previous Stadium games. We already have fan made sprite based battle simulators if that’s all you want. My only concern is that I’m not big on having to pay a monthly fee for Home just to be able to battle with my Pokemon.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Tbh I would like pokepark 3
I can imagine having Pokémon from X/Y, Sun/Moon/Ultra, Sword/Shield, and Scarlet/Violet.

Possible idea for antagonists would be the Ultra Beasts themselves as well Necrozma and Eternatus being masterminds, maybe the Treasures of Ruin working for them?

You could have a story involving past and future Paradoxes as well wormholes popping up.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Pretty sure what killed Pokémon stadium is the main Pokémon games has already has transitioned to 3d
Tbh I would like pokepark 3
Yeah I think that’s probably true. 3D battling was certainly a really big part of what made Stadium games so great but I think everything else tends to get overlooked. They had so much more than what modern mainline games offer in terms of battling. Stadium and Battle Revolution made the battles feel like a spectacle which the mainline games still lack in my opinion.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Yeah. They did serve a purpose back in the early days when the games were 2D and on handhelds, so when the main series makes the jump to 3D and are now on a home console it just makes the Stadium games redundant.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
No More Heroes, twice.

Travis feels like a pipe dream. I think the last DLC cycle was the highest chance he had. The Mii costume for NMH:TSA is cool, and it’s very clear NMH3 was made way too late to be considered for Smash inclusion. I personally hope they remaster No More Heroes 3 for the next console, it’s clear that the game was not meant to run on the Switch, or anything less powerful than competitor consoles. :nifty:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Sakura wars also came back during this period but didnt get a Switch port for some reason.

Yeah I think that’s probably true. 3D battling was certainly a really big part of what made Stadium games so great but I think everything else tends to get overlooked. They had so much more than what modern mainline games offer in terms of battling. Stadium and Battle Revolution made the battles feel like a spectacle which the mainline games still lack in my opinion.
Battle revolution definitely still feels more like a spectacle than the 3D mainline games.

...I weirdly miss these games.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

Depends of how you define "dormant", but I guess you could add Metroid prime and Mario strikers, both had games on the Wii but nothing on Wii U/3ds generation.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Yeah. They did serve a purpose back in the early days when the games were 2D and on handhelds, so when the main series makes the jump to 3D and are now on a home console it just makes the Stadium games redundant.
This is an incredibly poor mindset. No. Pokemon fully shifting to 3D definitely did not render Pokemon Stadium redundant. It's a narrow minded excuse by Gamefreak that a lot of us felt for. Or straight up lied to our selves. All of the add on potential Gengar84 mentioned would literally put Pokemon Stadium on the map again. A new pokemon Stadium CAN be simply for the purpose to make all of the dropped features relevant again.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
The big ones for me were getting a new Ghosts 'n Goblins and Contra game.

River City wasn't completely dormant, since it'd had 3DS games. But they put out a ton of games on the Switch.

I would say Gohma would only make sense as a Boss.

But even then, Boss slots are so limited, I have no interest in seeing series get multiple Bosses. And Zelda already has Ganon.
I mean if they reuse bosses exactly as they were they could add new ones!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
This is an incredibly poor mindset. No. Pokemon fully shifting to 3D definitely did not render Pokemon Stadium redundant. It's a narrow minded excuse by Gamefreak that a lot of us felt for. Or straight up lied to our selves. All of the add on potential Gengar84 mentioned would literally put Pokemon Stadium on the map again. A new pokemon Stadium CAN be simply for the purpose to make all of the dropped features relevant again.
They could just add all of that into an update for Pokémon Home instead of a separate game altogether.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
They could just add all of that into an update for Pokémon Home instead of a separate game altogether.
That’s technically true but that means you’d be stuck paying a monthly subscription just to play it. It would also likely be a very basic battle simulator if it was just added as a feature of Home rather than its own game. I doubt a Home update would give the battles the same cinematic treatment and spectacle as something like Battle Revolution did, which really added to the enjoyment of those games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom