• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Although home consoles are a different beast, and what you said actually led to a studio (AlphaDream) going bankrupt and shutting down.
I'm so tired of this "Alpha dream went bankrupt because of the 3ds remakes". The whole point of the remake is that they were already on the verge of death and they literally had no budget for anything aside from Ds remakes that could reuses their 3ds games assets. They didn't died because they decided to be stuck on the 3ds, they just had no choice.

Wild to think that the Switch 2 is releasing this year. I mean, it isn't official, but everyone knows it's happening. The Nintendo Switch feels, paradoxically, both fresh and ancient. I remember the first time I played it like it was yesterday, but that was seven years ago - I was in middle school then, now I'm in college. Mario Odessey is about as old now as Galaxy 2 was when the former released. I've probably spent more time playing Ultimate than both versions of 4 combined (which is saying something). God, time is wild.

Melodrama aside, what unrevealed games do we think we're getting this year? Either for the switch 2 or the original. If I had to lay down a few predictions...

• Genealogy of the Holy War remake (Switch 1)
  • Heart Gold/Soul Silver remakes (Switch 1)
  • Metroid Prime IV (Maybe on Switch 1, definitely on Switch 2)
  • A new Animal Crossing (Switch 2)
  • A new 3D Mario (Switch 2)
Personally I'm very confident this is the year we will see Prime 4. My guess is that we'll see Prime 2 remastered this spring, then Prime 3 remastered in the summer and they might do a special collector Prime remastered trilogy, and then Prime 4 will released later this year. Also if Switch 2 does indeed released this year, I'm very confident we'll have either a 3d Mario or Mario kart 9. I don't think we'll be getting both, as I do think that Nintendo is going to continue the strategy of "one first party games every month or so", so they won't uses all their cards too early, but I'd be surprised if a Switch 2 doesn't release with something big Mario related. I think Zelda will probably get something, definitely not a new game but if feels like the time is finally right for TP and/or WW re-release in some way. I could see also NSO getting a new tier with either DS or Gamecube games as a Switch 2 exclusives.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Wild to think that the Switch 2 is releasing this year. I mean, it isn't official, but everyone knows it's happening. The Nintendo Switch feels, paradoxically, both fresh and ancient. I remember the first time I played it like it was yesterday, but that was seven years ago - I was in middle school then, now I'm in college. Mario Odessey is about as old now as Galaxy 2 was when the former released. I've probably spent more time playing Ultimate than both versions of 4 combined (which is saying something). God, time is wild.

Melodrama aside, what unrevealed games do we think we're getting this year? Either for the switch 2 or the original. If I had to lay down a few predictions...

• Genealogy of the Holy War remake (Switch 1)
  • Heart Gold/Soul Silver remakes (Switch 1)
  • Metroid Prime IV (Maybe on Switch 1, definitely on Switch 2)
  • A new Animal Crossing (Switch 2)
  • A new 3D Mario (Switch 2)
Remakes of remakes

Now that’s a bold prediction.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm so tired of this "Alpha dream went bankrupt because of the 3ds remakes". The whole point of the remake is that they were already on the verge of death and they literally had no budget for anything aside from Ds remakes that could reuses their 3ds games assets. They didn't died because they decided to be stuck on the 3ds, they just had no choice.

Personally I'm very confident this is the year we will see Prime 4. My guess is that we'll see Prime 2 remastered this spring, then Prime 3 remastered in the summer and they might do a special collector Prime remastered trilogy, and then Prime 4 will released later this year. Also if Switch 2 does indeed released this year, I'm very confident we'll have either a 3d Mario or Mario kart 9. I don't think we'll be getting both, as I do think that Nintendo is going to continue the strategy of "one first party games every month or so", so they won't uses all their cards too early, but I'd be surprised if a Switch 2 doesn't release with something big Mario related. I think Zelda will probably get something, definitely not a new game but if feels like the time is finally right for TP and/or WW re-release in some way. I could see also NSO getting a new tier with either DS or Gamecube games as a Switch 2 exclusives.
I'm not expecting DS to be added at all unless the new console is like the DS in that it has two screens.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Remakes of remakes

You know what? I could see that for Resident Evil 1. It had one great remake already, but it's still in the style of the original game.

RE1 should be remade again in the style of the RE2 and 3 remakes.

Last edited:

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
As much as I think Rayman will be the first playable rep from Ubisoft, I wouldn't totally count out some form of rabbids getting in eventually as well. That plus the fact they're considered separate franchises now, I think it would be best to just make Rayman's symbol something strictly from his games
Never thought about it but yeah, I guess it really is better to think of the Rayman/Rabbids situation as a "Mario series considered separate from DK series" type deal. It's probably the best way to make fans from both franchises happy.

Tangentially related but I really hope Smash 6 is the game they start considering Luigi's Mansion its own series, with its own symbol and everything (ideally a Boo would be the series symbol). It still feels weird to have it considered as part of the Mario series, and in the case a LM track starts to play on a Mario stage (or vice versa) it feels super off. I understand that in Brawl LM was a one-off deal since it had one game at the time, but now it has enough games to really stand on its own.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Although home consoles are a different beast, and what you said actually led to a studio (AlphaDream) going bankrupt and shutting down.
It has literally nothing to do with handheld consoles vs home consoles, especially considering the Switch is just as much a handheld console as a home console. It has to do with Nintendo's own publicly stated stance that they don't want to leave folks who weren't early adopters of the new console high and dry. They don't want to risk another Wii U, so they keep supporting the older console for a bit longer in addition to the new one to ease buyers in. It's common sense.

Also, in addition to what's already been said in regards to AlphaDream's situation...I'll be frank, Nintendo 100% doesn't care that much. AlphaDream was an independently-owned company that, as far as Nintendo is concerned, made poor business decisions that led to their bankruptcy being written on the wall long before it was public. They're not going to care enough to change their business practices wholesale after a separate company bet on the wrong horse. It's harsh, but if they cared as much as you're implying they did, they could have swooped in and scooped them up like they did for Monolith Soft and Next Level Games. But they didn't; they let them go under, just like they chose to with Rare all those years ago. In Nintendo's eyes, AlphaDream was, and still is, irrelevant when it comes to how they operate their own business.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Which 5 Microsoft reps are most likely to join next?

Mine would be...

Master Chief

Crash

Dragonborn

Doom Slayer

Overwatch rep, most likely Tracer
Is Overwatch still relevant these days? I thought the sequel wasn’t received nearly as well as the first game. Personally I’d prefer they go with something with a bit more legacy behind it like WarCraft, StarCraft, or Diablo. That’s just my personal preference though.

My top five most wanted Microsoft characters would be:

Rash/Pimle/Zitz (Battletoads)
Fulgore (Killer Instinct)
Joanna Dark (Perfect Dark)
Illidan Stormrage (WarCraft)
Sarah Kerrigan (StarCraft)

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Whatever his symbol would be, I just don't think the monster would be it. I remember the fake picture back during Smash 4 and while I never believed it anyway, the one thing that really stood out to me was the symbol. I saw it being used again in that video and I just can't picture that being it. At least the Rabbid's head seem more recognizable and was even part of Rayman's name in the logo.
Monster? You mean the Lum's? They're not monsters, more like power ups/collectibles/level elements depending on the game.

They're one of the most prevalent/reoccurring elements in the Rayman series so I honestly thought they worked well enough as the series symbol.

It's hard to think of something that would fit better imo. Can't say I'm fond of using the circle on his hoodie or anything like that.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

I don't think we're getting Mario Kart 9 this year. Tour and the BCP just wrapped up, there's no way they're going to have the next game ready that quickly. Even if they did, they would probably hold onto it for a bit to let the hype simmer. Maybe late 2025, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was 2026.

I forgot to mention the TP/WW remasters. I agree with you, those have to happen this year (but I probably would have said that the last few years...). I also wouldn't be shocked if we get another Grezzo remake, but I'm not sure if it would be the Oracle games or Minish cap.
Remakes of remakes

Is it silly? Yes. But Ilca already has a working Gen 4 engine. Making HGSS would be so much easier than B/W, and one of BDSP'S fatal flaws (no platinum content) would inherently be fixed because Mind Crystal or whatever doesn't exist.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Is it silly? Yes. But Ilca already has a working Gen 4 engine. Making HGSS would be so much easier than B/W, and one of BDSP'S fatal flaws (no platinum content) would inherently be fixed because Mind Crystal or whatever doesn't exist.
That's a good reason for why they could do it. But would they do it, is my question?

Gen 2 already got its remake, Johto's been handled. Is there much incentive for them to retread that ground? Unova's next in line to be the revisited, and they seem more than aware of that.

And uhh I don't think ILCA's gonna be involved. Call it a hunch, but I feel like this year's game is just gonna be a Gamefreak project. And I don't think it'll be a straight remake of B/W, but a Legends game or even something wacky like BW3.

Not trying to dunk on you or anything, just sharing my thoughts :nifty:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Is Overwatch still relevant these days? I thought the sequel wasn’t received nearly as well as the first game.
Practically the only relevancy and attention it's getting is Overwatch 2 being the example of how not to do a game.....man, that game, it's fans and, if true, it's developers got screwed so hard by the higher-ups. As someone who really enjoyed the first Overwatch, it's legitimately painful to see.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
That's a good reason for why they could do it. But would they do it, is my question?

Gen 2 already got its remake, Johto's been handled. Is there much incentive for them to retread that ground? Unova's next in line to be the revisited, and they seem more than aware of that.

And uhh I don't think ILCA's gonna be involved. Call it a hunch, but I feel like this year's game is just gonna be a Gamefreak project. And I don't think it'll be a straight remake of B/W, but a Legends game or even something wacky like BW3.

I'm dreading the Gen V remakes tbh. I don't want to be overly negative but Gens 4 and 5 are my favorites and I already feel like Gen 4 got done dirty. (Legends notwithstanding, that was a pleasant surprise at least.)

Noipoi

Howdy!
I'm dreading the Gen V remakes tbh. I don't want to be overly negative but Gens 4 and 5 are my favorites and I already feel like Gen 4 got done dirty. (Legends notwithstanding, that was a pleasant surprise at least.)
Which is exactly what I think is gonna happen again.

Legends Arceus was the main Sinnoh project of that year. BDSP was made to be a safety net of sorts, a traditional remake to ensure that something safe and palatable was on shelves just in case their new experiment didn’t work out.

But it did work out, which is why even if there’s another faithful remake I also bet there’ll be another Legends game for Unova. Or maybe something even crazier.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Monster? You mean the Lum's? They're not monsters, more like power ups/collectibles/level elements depending on the game.

They're one of the most prevalent/reoccurring elements in the Rayman series so I honestly thought they worked well enough as the series symbol.

It's hard to think of something that would fit better imo. Can't say I'm fond of using the circle on his hoodie or anything like that.
That doesn't look like a Lum to me. It looked more like one of the enemies, like the Darktoons.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Gen 2 has already been revisited, but that revisit was a long time ago. It's the region that hasn't been in a game in the longest, I don't think it getting a remake is unreasonable. Especially because when FRLG were the oldest games not yet touched (after ORAS but before BDSP), we got another Kanto game.

I'm not saying that Gen 5 is getting nothing. They're obviously setting something up. I just think that the Unova project is going to take Arceus's Early 2025 slot, and that this year's game is going to be a remake. And while it could be Black and White, the sequel makes things tricky. Doing both would take a lot of effort, but just doing 1 would feel very incomplete. Sidestepping that and going for Johto just seems easier.

i'll admit im biased. soul silver was my childhood pokemon game, and i'm not sure if i've ever beat b/w 1.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Gen 2 has already been revisited, but that revisit was a long time ago. It's the region that hasn't been in a game in the longest, I don't think it getting a remake is unreasonable. Especially because when FRLG were the oldest games not yet touched (after ORAS but before BDSP), we got another Kanto game.

I'm not saying that Gen 5 is getting nothing. They're obviously setting something up. I just think that the Unova project is going to take Arceus's Early 2025 slot, and that this year's game is going to be a remake. And while it could be Black and White, the sequel makes things tricky. Doing both would take a lot of effort, but just doing 1 would feel very incomplete. Sidestepping that and going for Johto just seems easier.
Good points. However, I do have a counterargument.

Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee were made with a very specific purpose. Not to revisit the Kanto region specifically, but to bridge the gap between Pokemon Go players and the main series. Kanto is the most recognizable region, so it makes sense they'd use that region. It's been 5 years since then, the gap has been bridged. I'm not saying they couldn't make another Let's Go game, but for the purpose of being that link between Go and main series, it doesn't seem necessary anymore.

So in regards to Kanto getting another game recently, it was because of a unique set of circumstances. Not because FRLG were the oldest games at the time. With all that in mind, I personally don't find another Johto revisit all that likely. And dropping a Johto and then a Unova game back to back would feel a little confused, marketing wise. At least in my opinion.

But hey, I'm not Mr. Gamefreak or whatever. Anything could happen. Maybe you'll hit me with the fattest I Told You So in a month :drshrug:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I think that it's just too soon for another one. It's only been 3 years since BDSP came out.
I really don't think that matters. If they want a remake this year there'll be one, simple as that.

I'm not even saying there 100% will be a remake this year. Just that this a flimsy reason for there not to be one. Generations are usually spaced 3 years apart, both the gen 8 and gen 9 dlc was 3 years apart, why can't a remake come 3 years after the last one?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I think that it's just too soon for another one. It's only been 3 years since BDSP came out.
Yeah the remakes have all been 5-7 years apart.

Even though secondary releases of mainline games have been replaced by DLC, it still takes the same place in the schedule.

why can't a remake come 3 years after the last one?
It can. It just never has. In fact, the most recent remakes took 2 years longer than the previous ones.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I never cared much for Gen 5 and I was pretty underwhelmed by both Let's Go Pikachu and Brilliant Diamond, so I think I'll skip out on Gen 5 remakes if those are the annual Pokemon release of the year.

What I want Pokemon to do above all else is to rework its development plans at the macro level. The thought of a team of a little over a hundred pumping out annual AA releases in 2015+9 is kind of insane and the logistical flaws of this approach have been evident in the quality of the games for years now. I know that Pokemon continues to bring in the GDP of a small state through this formula, so nothing is going to change, but a man can dream.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Yeah the remakes have all been 5-7 years apart.

Even though secondary releases of mainline games have been replaced by DLC, it still takes the same place in the schedule.

It can. It just never has. In fact, the most recent remakes took 2 years longer than the previous ones.
Yep. HGSS and ORAS both came out 5 years after the previous remakes and BDSP came out seven years after ORAS. I'm not expecting any new remakes until 2027.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
It WOULD be prtty funny if all the Unova callbacks were placed in the recent games just to throw us off on what Pokemon is going to make next.

Because usually these sorts of callbacks are done when a new game in that region is in development.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It WOULD be prtty funny if all the Unova callbacks were placed in the recent games just to throw us off on what Pokemon is going to make next.

Because usually these sorts of callbacks are done when a new game in that region is in development.
There wasn't really that much until Indigo Disk, and even then it didn't really get that much attention. It was actually Galar, the immediate preceding region, that got the most attention in the DLC.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I Need Gen 5 remake for the sake of having triple battle back which is the part I enjoyed the most I say this as a Pokémon player who left the Pokémon games after Gen 7 and still have all my Pokémon in 3DS
I really miss triple battles. I played those all the time online in Gen 6. Sure, it was probably broken balance wise but it was a ton of fun. I had a lot of fun triples synergy teams that don’t work quite the same in doubles.

I also miss having something to do offline with your fully raised Pokemon. My favorite was the battle resort in Emerald and Platinum but I’d gladly even just take the Battle Maison from Gen 6 back. It was so cool that you could team up with your friends against the maison.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Pokemon should probably take a bit more time on their releases anyways.
Absolutely. My biggest hope is that this year's game is an ILCA title, next year's Unova game is in the second half of the year, and they have Gen 10 for the 30th anniversary in (late) 2026. It's still more cramped then it should be, but it's not 2022 again.
I desperately hope Legends isnt a one off thing.

I want to it to be a thing that we get to explore regions in a different time period.
I think it would be cool if the Unova game takes place in both time periods. Nate/Rosa get flung to the past, while Hilbert/Hilda get isekaid into the future. It would be one story, with both sets of characters helping to avert some sort of calamity (with an ancestor/decendent of Colress figuring out a way to transfer messages and Pokemon through the ages). Seeing the same area centuries apart would be really interesting, and allow the past and future dynamics of both gens 5 and 9 to come to a head.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
There wasn't really that much until Indigo Disk, and even then it didn't really get that much attention. It was actually Galar, the immediate preceding region, that got the most attention in the DLC.
Base game Scarlet and violet had a Pokestar studios cameo and Legends had Ingo come back, an Ancestor of Clay appeared, new forms for Unova Pokemon and a new Unova legendary Pokemon.

Usually about the same as Hoenn and Johto got when their remakes were in development.

Ive been making conspiracy theories for Pokemon for almost two decades at this point, when i pick up on these things it sticks in my mind lol

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Having an area of the canyon biome be modelled after the Nature Preserve from BW2, having a new take on Chargestone Cave (literally called Chargestone Cavern), having the terarium music incorporate Gen V music, having Meloetta be a Pokemon you can capture with it's own playground rumour-esque method of making it appear, the direct allusions to places and people in Unova including some of the new characters being directly related to certain gym leaders, Terrakion and Cobalion getting their paradoxes and the fact that Blueberry Academy is IN Unova is quite a lot of attention if you ask me.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Oh, are we talking Unova remakes? I mean, if it's real, we'll probably hear something in the Pokemon Presents that they usually do at the start of the year. Maybe even before the first Nintendo Direct.

Though I gotta ask: how will they go about it? Obviously, they'll remake the originals, but what about B2W2? Will they get seperate remakes? Merged into the originals despite the logistical issues? Straight up retconned out of existance?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Absolutely. My biggest hope is that this year's game is an ILCA title, next year's Unova game is in the second half of the year, and they have Gen 10 for the 30th anniversary in (late) 2026. It's still more cramped then it should be, but it's not 2022 again.
This is what I hope they do if they're not going to completely break from a yearly schedule. I like SV, but I don't think it needed to come out the same year as Legends: Arceus and could've used that extra year to get more time in the oven to iron out the more innate flaws in the system. Letting GF get a break this year while a Gen 5 remake from another company picks up the slack will allow Legends: Kyurem/Genesect/etc. to get more time to be developed while also allowing the next generation to get an extra year of development as well, and celebrating the 30th anniversary with a new Generation would be more fitting for the occasion.

Though I gotta ask: how will they go about it? Obviously, they'll remake the originals, but what about B2W2? Will they get seperate remakes? Merged into the originals despite the logistical issues? Straight up retconned out of existance?
Best case scenario is a 2-in-1 remake with both included, but I feel the more likely outcome would be B2W2 being retconned with some elements being inherited by BW like how the Delta Episode included Emerald story elements into ORAS.

toonito

Smash Ace
re: pokemon talk

since BW mainline generations come out every 3 years so that puts Gen 10 around 2025-2026.

remakes seem more spread out

RS: 2003
FRLG: 2004
DP: 2007
HGSS: 2010
XY: 2013
ORAS: 2014
SS: 2019
BDSP: 2021

remakes come out between 1-3 years after a generation and approx. 4-7 years apart from each other. They can also skip a generation like they did with 5 and 7. on average the remakes come out 1.75 years (1 year 9 months) after a new generation and 5.66 years (5 years 8 months) apart. that would put hypothetical BW remakes to come out between this year and 2027.

if these remakes were to come out this year then a possible schedule could look like this

2024: BWr
2025: Gen 10
2026: Gen 10 DLC

or

2024: untitled game (Legends 2? Lets Go 2? no clue)
2025: BWr
2026: Gen 10
2027: Gen 10 DLC

or

2024: untitled game (Legends 2? Lets Go 2? no clue)
2025: Gen 10
2026: Gen 10 DLC
2027: BWr

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Let's make a list for fun.

What once dormant IPs came back for the Switch?

Off the bat, I can think of F-Zero, Famicom Detective Club, Advance Wars and Trace Memory/Another Code. How many revivals have their been? Let's also include spinoffs like New Pokemon Snap.

Top Bottom